Go to a  "printer friendly" view of this message which allow an easy print Printer-friendly copy Go to the page which allows you to send this topic link and a message to a friend Email this topic to a friend
Forums Lobby GET TO KNOW YOUR CAMERA & MASTER IT Nikon D5300/D5200/D5100/D5000/D3300/D3200/D3100/D3000 (Public) topic #2550
View in threaded mode

Subject: "What do I need that doesn't come in the D3000 9718 Kit?" Previous topic | Next topic
twotone Registered since 25th Sep 2010Tue 28-Sep-10 11:21 PM
4 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
"What do I need that doesn't come in the D3000 9718 Kit?"
Tue 28-Sep-10 11:21 PM by twotone

US

Hi all - I am getting ready to pull the trigger on the D3000 9718 kit (the one with two lenses) and would like to know what else I will need to purchase. Questions I have would be does the kit come with a memory card? Will it hook directly to my computer using a cable or do I need to get a USB memory card reader?... And so on.

Thanks - Tom

Alert Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic
JosephK Silver Member Fellow Ribbon awarded for his excellent and frequent contributions and sharing his in-depth knowledge and experience with the community in the Nikonians spirit. Nikonian since 17th Apr 2006Wed 29-Sep-10 01:44 AM
4491 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#1. "RE: What do I need that doesn't come in the D3000 9718 Kit?"
In response to Reply # 0

Seattle, WA, US

The only thing you will "need" is a memory card(s).

"Desired" things:

Card reader - while the camera can be connected directly to the computer using the included USB cable, a card reader is MUCH faster and less error prone with the software drivers.

Giottos Rocket Blower - to clean the insides of the camera.

Microfiber cloth for lens cleaning.

An extra Nikon battery.

Down the road:
- a wider camera strap
- a "wet" kit for cleaning the sensor (skip it until you need it)

One of the things to think about is how you are going to organize your pictures on your computer. How you will name the folders? What key words to use in tagging the pictures if any? Note: As the files come off your memory card, they will not be uniquely named in the long run (the numbers roll back to 1 eventually).

You will need a picture editor of some sort for post processing of your pictures. The camera comes with a CD, but I don't know what is on it.

---------+---------+---------+---------+
Joseph K
Seattle, WA, USA

D200, 17-55mm f/2.8 DX, 70-200mm f/2.8 VR, 50mm f/1.4 D
18-70mm f/3.5-4.5 DX, 70-300mm f/4-5.6 ED, D70S

bomvu Silver Member Nikonian since 17th Aug 2010Thu 30-Sep-10 01:51 PM
30 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#2. "RE: What do I need that doesn't come in the D3000 9718 Kit?"
In response to Reply # 0

GB

Having received a D3000 at the end of July I would agree with the suggestions already posted.
I also bought a carry case to keep it in. I originally bought one that fits just the camer and the lense on it but now that I've purchased a 75-300 tele lense I'm glad that someone gave me the Nikon bag that can fit a spare lense.
The spare battery is good through I'm still amaised by how long the standard battery lasts. I've not managed to run it down in a session yet. But I did get a spare just in case.
I also lost the lense cap quite early on so purchased a couple of spares. The new ones have string that you can loop around the strap so that you can keep it close to hand.
Great camera, if you get it, you'll enjoy it!

Visit my Flickr photostream
http://www.flickr.com/photos/strainz/

twotone Registered since 25th Sep 2010Fri 01-Oct-10 12:10 AM
4 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#3. "RE: What do I need that doesn't come in the D3000 9718 Kit?"
In response to Reply # 2

US

Thanks for all of the good info! My D3000 will be here on Monday so I will pick up a memory card this weekend. Nice pitctures in you gallery by the way

Tom

MEMcD Moderator In depth knowledge in various areas Nikonian since 24th Dec 2007Fri 01-Oct-10 03:33 AM
26103 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#4. "RE: What do I need that doesn't come in the D3000 9718 Kit?"
In response to Reply # 3

US

Hi Tom,

Welcome to Nikonians!
Congratulations on your new D3000!
I would recommend getting at least two memory cards as I know too many people that fill their cards then start to delete images because they ran out of space before they had a chance to download the card onto their computer.
Good Luck and Enjoy your Nikons!

Best Regards,
Marty

Forums Lobby GET TO KNOW YOUR CAMERA & MASTER IT Nikon D5300/D5200/D5100/D5000/D3300/D3200/D3100/D3000 (Public) topic #2550 Previous topic | Next topic

Take the Nikonians Tour and learn more about being a Nikonian Wiki /FAQ /Help Listen to our MP3 photography radio channels Find anything on Nikon and imaging technology - fast!

Copyright © Nikonians 2000, 2014
All Rights Reserved

Nikonians®, NikoScope® and NikoniansAcademy™ are trademarks owned by Nikonians.org.
Nikon®, Nikonos® and Nikkor® are registered trademarks of Nikon Corporation.