nikonians

Even though we ARE Nikon lovers,we are NOT affiliated with Nikon Corp. in any way.

Home Forums Articles Galleries News Workshops Shop Recommended
members
All members Wiki Contests Vouchers Apps Newsletter THE NIKONIAN™ Magazines Podcasts Fundraising

How to cope with D3100 too heavy with Micro Nikkor Vr

decarrion

nijkerk, NL
79 posts

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author
decarrion Silver Member Nikonian since 12th Feb 2009
Fri 12-Oct-12 09:12 AM

Dear all, A friend of mine is into serious macro work and considers to buy the Micro Nikkor 105mm. However due to physical set backs it might be too heavy to carry around and handle the combination. Have any of you a good idea to overcome this.
Thank you !!

“There is only you and your camera. The limitations in your photography are in yourself, for what we see is what we are.”

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

Lolrogge

Ayden, US
321 posts

#1. "RE: How to cope with D3100 too heavy with Micro Nikkor Vr" | In response to Reply # 0

Lolrogge Silver Member Nikonian since 13th Apr 2012
Fri 12-Oct-12 02:09 PM

Has your friend considered the 85mm micro Nikkor VR. It is slower at f3.5, but I understand it is smaller and lighter.

Laverne

decarrion

nijkerk, NL
79 posts

#2. "RE: How to cope with D3100 too heavy with Micro Nikkor Vr" | In response to Reply # 1

decarrion Silver Member Nikonian since 12th Feb 2009
Fri 12-Oct-12 02:13 PM

No she goes for the real option
we're thinking now on a grip adding more weight but better handling...who knows
thank you

“There is only you and your camera. The limitations in your photography are in yourself, for what we see is what we are.”

MEMcD

US
28557 posts

#3. "RE: How to cope with D3100 too heavy with Micro Nikkor Vr" | In response to Reply # 2

MEMcD Moderator In depth knowledge in various areas Nikonian since 24th Dec 2007
Fri 12-Oct-12 07:06 PM

Hi Pieter,

>No she goes for the real option

I am not sure what you mean! Keep in mind that All of the Nikkor and even the third party brands (Zeiss, Sigma, Tamron, and Tokina) are optically excellent or better.
The Nikkor 85mm f/3.5G ED AF-S VR DX Micro is less expensive than the 105mm VR in part because it is a DX lens, the Elements are much smaller and lighter and therefore less expensive.

>we're thinking now on a grip adding more weight but better
>handling...who knows

Keep in mind that when shooting at Macro distances a good tripod is extremely important since the DOF is paper thin even when the lens is fully stopped down.
The tripod will also carry the weight of the camera and lens making a third party grip less than useful.
Your friend might find focusing rails a more useful tool.
Good Luck and Enjoy your Nikons!

Best Regards,
Marty

G