Go to a  "printer friendly" view of this message which allow an easy print Printer-friendly copy Go to the page which allows you to send this topic link and a message to a friend Email this topic to a friend
Forums Lobby GET TO KNOW YOUR CAMERA & MASTER IT Nikon D5300/D5200/D5100/D5000/D3300/D3200/D3100/D3000 (Public) topic #398
View in threaded mode

Subject: "Surprised at the lack of posts here and the advisory" Previous topic | Next topic
BigCTM Registered since 30th Mar 2009Tue 28-Jul-09 01:01 AM
7 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
"Surprised at the lack of posts here and the advisory"
Tue 28-Jul-09 01:04 AM by BigCTM

Cordova, US

I am a fan of the D5000 and am surprised at the lack of posts in this forum honestly. Maybe it's the recall!

In any case, I honestly feel like Nikon has handled the advisory well in some ways but not in others. The free and expedited shipping is great. However in my mind they should have removed them all from the shelves. This issue impacts basically every D5000 that has been produced and even some of the ones that are still being sold. I ordered the D5000 knowing about the recall and have sent it in already. Some people will end up buying them though and not have a clue that it might not turn on one day. What do you guys think?

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

Alert Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic
jrp Administrator JRP is one of the co-founders, has in-depth knowledge in various areas. Awarded for his contributions for the Resources Charter MemberTue 28-Jul-09 03:46 AM
33918 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#1. "RE: Surprised at the lack of posts here and the advisory"
In response to Reply # 0
Tue 28-Jul-09 03:48 AM by jrp

San Pedro Garza García, MX

Despite the advisory, people keep buying the D5000.
Plus, the number of purchasers affected may be a small percentage of the entire buyers population. We have not heard of anyone we know who had a problem. So Nikon's move may have been largely preventive.

Have a great time
JRP (Founder & Administrator. Nikonian at the north-eastern Mexican desert) Gallery, Brief Love Story, The Team
Join the Silver, Gold and Platinum members that help this happen; upgrade. Join your personal web site to the Nikonians WebRing
Make sure you check our workshops at The Nikonians Academy and the product catalog of the Photo Pro Shop

thosmm Registered since 12th May 2009Tue 28-Jul-09 03:55 AM
77 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#2. "RE: Surprised at the lack of posts here and the advisory"
In response to Reply # 1

Spring Hill, US

I know of 21 people who've purchased a D5000, and every one of their cameras are on the recall list. That said, I don't know of any one of them that have had the power problem. Three have had lenses that work perfectly on other cameras but are finicky on a D5000, including myself.

I'm glad that Nikon has faced up to the problem early, and I hope that they have fixed the problem going forward.

I like my D5000, but knowing that there was at least one major defect in the camera, as shipped new, makes me very glad I bought an extended warranty.

As an early buyer, I paid full retail for my camera; and I expect it to be worth what I paid. So far the camera has its pros and cons. We'll see how it fares over time.

-TM-

Visit My webpage and gallery..

Covey22 Moderator Expert in various fields including aviation photography Awarded for his contributions to the Resources and The Nikonian eZine Charter MemberTue 28-Jul-09 02:58 PM
10408 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#3. "RE: Surprised at the lack of posts here and the advisory"
In response to Reply # 0

US

Some people will end up buying them though and not have a clue that it might not turn on one day.

Authorized dealers have been informed that they can refresh their inventory as early as next week or beginning of August - so Nikon is already taking steps to pull out all affected units with known-good items. Those dealers are scrambling to get the swaps done because they know the D5000 is a volume seller. This is where dealing with an authorized and reputable dealer (online or otherwise) pays dividends.

"Toodle-loo from Covey22!"

-Armando
Nikonians Team
Nikonians News - Fresh Everyday!

The Covey Blog!

My Plan:

Get out of the car.
Get closer to the subject.
Pick the right mid-tone this time.

See My Nikonians Gallery

Larry E30 Silver Member Nikonian since 27th May 2009Tue 28-Jul-09 09:43 PM
1986 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#4. "RE: Surprised at the lack of posts here and the advisory"
In response to Reply # 2
Tue 28-Jul-09 09:46 PM by Larry E30

US

-TM- , as you know I'm on my 4th D5000...and it is at Nikon now for the "FIX".Note ; as I stated in the D5000 threads ... my first copy did have this recall problem - AND I THINK - ALL - D5000'S TO DATE THAT HAVE NOT HAD THIS "FIX" SHOULD GO IN FOR THE FIX...WHY WAIT FOR WHEN YOU TURN IT ON ...AND DEAD , it happened to me.They know about this problem...(Nikon - fix em all.!).And for two in a row ,for me, to have one or more dead pixel...is UNACCEPTABLE(.)Their quality control should NOT be that lax . But, OK , (they) are fixing it - and I ALMOST love this camera(some things could have been better)but the low noise ALONE is worth the camera!Overall I'm quite happy(more than average frustration)- lots of adjustments ... and I have hopes of doing REALLY well with this camera.I know my exposures are a little bright,low in contrast/pop,and a little undersaturated(I'm aimming for"as my eye sees it")-(kind of);(color/saturation/exposure/sharpness etc.)...so I'm on the low - or - under side right now...hoping to pack a super punch-soon. NOTE I'm a swivel/live view person) - and if I knew all I know now,when I first bought,I would STRONGLY consider the D300 instead - at more cost AND NO SWIVEL.In my (swivel) opinion (coming from super P+S swivels-that pack a punch). Oh, the D300 in some recent reviews of (all)major SLR's came out on top.!,full sensors too !!!!!!!!!!But I love having a swivel AT LEAST for where is inconvenent for my eye-reach(no swivel IS a BIG loss , and LESS I am able to do .).Also ; anyone buying a D300 (or D5000) do check CLOSELY for dead pixels...one person -IN OUR THREADS- bought a D300(twise the cost of D5000)WITH 2 DEAD PIXELS-OR THE SUCH .Come on Nikon!!(We should NOT have to check on your lack).We expect more/better.I say, "Japan-do all your own work - STOP - SENDING IT TO OTHER COUNTRIES!,YOU SHOWED US QUALITY...NOW WHAT!!?!!...you are starting to show us lack-compromised quality." Larry

ibis Registered since 28th Jul 2009Wed 29-Jul-09 12:48 AM
3 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#5. "RE: Surprised at the lack of posts here and the advisory"
In response to Reply # 0

Miami, US

Hi - I am new to photography and to this organization so please bear with me on my lack of knowledge. I look forward to learning from you.

I left the point and shoot world by purchasing a D5000 in June. I was in a photography class and learned the metering on the camera was completely off. I then got the advisory - plugged in the serial number and voila - my camera is part of the recall. Thinking I wasn't affected I called tech support to try to resolve the metering issue - while talking to them the camera just turned off. I followed Nikon's advisory instructions and sent the camera off for repair. It was received by Nikon on Monday. The tech support team cannot tell me how long it will take to fix. Other blogs have indicated that the recall is massive.

It's a bit disheartening that my first experience with a DSLR involves a recall. I had researched the D5000 extensively prior to purchase and it seemed a great camera for the price. Also weight was a consideration for me.

Has anyone else experienced metering problems with the camera? Can anyone tell me anything else about the recall, the repair process, etc. I would also like to hear good things about this camera so that I don't feel too bad about my purchase.

Thanks

Covey22 Moderator Expert in various fields including aviation photography Awarded for his contributions to the Resources and The Nikonian eZine Charter MemberWed 29-Jul-09 02:43 AM
10408 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#6. "RE: Surprised at the lack of posts here and the advisory"
In response to Reply # 5

US

In the scheme of Nikon DSLR recalls, this one is pretty organized compared to the D70 BGLOD (Blinking Green Light of Death) and the D2H meter failures. Both were officially confirmed after a groundswell of failures individually hit the Nikon repair channels. Neither of them merited a dedicated inspection and repair facility either. So to be quite frank, it's the best response Nikon has put up in recent memory. Granted, it's still a recall. I don't know if that gives you any comfort, but there it is...

-Armando
Nikonians Team

The Covey Blog!

My Plan:

Get out of the car.

See My Nikonians Gallery

Covey22 Moderator Expert in various fields including aviation photography Awarded for his contributions to the Resources and The Nikonian eZine Charter MemberWed 29-Jul-09 01:09 PM
#7. "RE: Surprised at the lack of posts here and the advisory"
In response to Reply # 0

US

For those of you concerned about a long turnaround - see the other thread in this forum and one experience of a user in Belgium. His "inspection and repair" took 20 minutes, albeit he drove three hours one-way to get to the repair depot.

-Armando
Nikonians Team

The Covey Blog!

My Plan:

Get out of the car.

See My Nikonians Gallery

Larry E30 Silver Member Nikonian since 27th May 2009Wed 29-Jul-09 04:02 PM
1986 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#8. "RE: Surprised at the lack of posts here and the advisory"
In response to Reply # 5

US

I hope I'm not cutting (in)or cutting anyone off - but I wanted to add a reply to this one; Hi ibis - you bought one of the best cameras out there.Take heart - but take courage AND CONTROL TOO. Nikon realized their machanical error/possable error - in my opinion, ALL D5000'S before this repair HAVE to go back.I would think this is an embarrisment to them (and a great cost-forget about profits!!!!)- but I do believe they ARE DOING AS WELL AS POSSABLE WITH THIS LARGE RECALL.Bet they will get the cameras back quickly to the people.I put mine (my 4th copy) in the mail Friday the 24th (July),I truly expect to get it back by like 8/7/09. Now for the metering (check out my D5000 threads);at least with THIS SLR (D5000),maybe ALL SLR's ...metering , I think , let's say - is much more exact/sencitive.Therefor ; give yourself time to master this SLR metering thing.I been used to prosumer point and shoots...one shot useually dose the trick...NOT SO WITH SLR's...(MORE PRO FOR PRO RESULTS ... WITH PRO KNOWLEDGE APPLIED). Now if the metering on ALL D5000's is off (as you were instructed in your class - yours was way off)then that will explain alot for me.,what I been doing is...take the first exposure at my best guess then plus or minus exposure.Note; the D5000 is a camera trying to do alot.Also for SLR's to have live view/swivel screen is fairly new too.Wish I could have purchased a future model-with all the kinks out NOW... ! OK , with this camera you CAN do awesome photography...but it is NOT WITHOUT ALL THE REQUIRED EFFORT(practice).For me ; in general - I need to add sharpness and decress saturation...find best results for what I am trying to do. Hope we get them back SOON - with the kinks OUT.You are not alone(in this disaster)-let's hope for the best and do our best! Cheers ! , Larry Oh,Nikon's quality control may be slipping (I returned two copies each with a dead pixel,another person in our threads had 2 dead pixels in his D300 !!!,one for electrical),SO DO CHECK CLOSELY FOR DEAD PIXALS.

thosmm Registered since 12th May 2009Fri 31-Jul-09 04:43 PM
77 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#9. "RE: Surprised at the lack of posts here and the advisory"
In response to Reply # 7

Spring Hill, US

My D5000 arrived at the Nikon repair facility in CT this morning.

We'll see when it gets back.

-TM-

ibis Registered since 28th Jul 2009Fri 31-Jul-09 06:27 PM
3 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#10. "RE: Surprised at the lack of posts here and the advisory"
In response to Reply # 9

Miami, US

Here's my experience so far - Nikon recall center received my D5000 on Monday. Yesterday I received an email from Precision Repair that they had just received my camera. I assume that it took Nikon from Monday through Wednesday to repair the on off issue. They then sent it to Precision for repair of the metering. I'd say turn around time is pretty good. I am disappointed that the metering was defective but ...

Larry E30 Silver Member Nikonian since 27th May 2009Wed 05-Aug-09 10:04 PM
#11. "RE: Surprised at the lack of posts here and the advisory"
In response to Reply # 10
Wed 05-Aug-09 10:06 PM by Larry E30

US

Larry here ; GOT MY D5000 BACK FROM RECALL-REPAIR TODAY 8/5/09. I already started a PIXEL/CLEAN SENSOR test;5 shots at a nice mid blue sky @ +1/3,even,-1/3,-2/3,-1stop.(and do a zoom-in examination) Happy day - (sent camera in the 24th of July)

thosmm Registered since 12th May 2009Fri 07-Aug-09 02:31 PM
#12. "RE: Surprised at the lack of posts here and the advisory"
In response to Reply # 9

Spring Hill, US

I received the camera back yesterday, August 6, 2009 on the 8th day after shipping.

Pretty good turnaround IMO.

-TM-

thosmm Registered since 12th May 2009Fri 07-Aug-09 02:37 PM
#13. "RE: Surprised at the lack of posts here and the advisory"
In response to Reply # 4

Spring Hill, US

Actually, my D5000 says it was made in Japan.

I'm sure that some of the parts were made elsewhere. In today's global economy that's almost a given.

The big thing in my book is that Nikon recognized the problem and has a plan to fix it. Many other manufacturers have design or engineering problems in their products and have to be forced to fix them; and I've been involved with issues where the consumer was blamed for 100% of a design flaw...

-TM-

ibis Registered since 28th Jul 2009Fri 07-Aug-09 08:40 PM
#14. "RE: Surprised at the lack of posts here and the advisory"
In response to Reply # 8

Miami, US

Hi Larry - got my camera back yesterday. Nikon fixed the recall issue then sent it to Precision camera for repair of the metering problem. I think all is well. I had some problems with their call center in the DR. The staff kept making up stories as to the status of the camera. Called corporate and they were fabulous. Well now its up to me - let's see how fast I can learn with all the expertise you guys provide.

Thanks for all your comments,
Ibis

ionphoenix Registered since 10th Aug 2009Mon 10-Aug-09 07:33 AM
23 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#15. "RE: Surprised at the lack of posts here and the advisory"
In response to Reply # 0

US

should I send my D5000 for service. I dont have any power problem.

Covey22 Moderator Expert in various fields including aviation photography Awarded for his contributions to the Resources and The Nikonian eZine Charter MemberMon 10-Aug-09 01:59 PM
#16. "RE: Surprised at the lack of posts here and the advisory"
In response to Reply # 15

US

If it appeared on the list of affected serial numbers, you would be better off having it fixed now rather than potentially failing later on - possibly at a time that you really need it.

-Armando
Nikonians Team

The Covey Blog!

My Plan:

Get out of the car.

See My Nikonians Gallery

thosmm Registered since 12th May 2009Mon 10-Aug-09 04:06 PM
#17. "RE: Surprised at the lack of posts here and the advisory"
In response to Reply # 16

Spring Hill, US

I agree. My camera didn't have any problems, but I sent it in. It was gone 8 days. Now I don't have to worry about when or if my camera was going to go legs-up on me.

-TM-

Forums Lobby GET TO KNOW YOUR CAMERA & MASTER IT Nikon D5300/D5200/D5100/D5000/D3300/D3200/D3100/D3000 (Public) topic #398 Previous topic | Next topic

Take the Nikonians Tour and learn more about being a Nikonian Wiki /FAQ /Help Listen to our MP3 photography radio channels Find anything on Nikon and imaging technology - fast!

Copyright © Nikonians 2000, 2014
All Rights Reserved

Nikonians®, NikoScope® and NikoniansAcademy™ are trademarks owned by Nikonians.org.
Nikon®, Nikonos® and Nikkor® are registered trademarks of Nikon Corporation.