Go to a  "printer friendly" view of this message which allow an easy print Printer-friendly copy Go to the page which allows you to send this topic link and a message to a friend Email this topic to a friend
Forums Lobby GET TO KNOW YOUR CAMERA & MASTER IT Nikon D5300/D5200/D5100/D5000/D3300/D3200/D3100/D3000 (Public) topic #3519
View in threaded mode

Subject: "Picked it up yesterday" Previous topic | Next topic
MAXXFJ Registered since 01st Apr 2011Sun 10-Apr-11 09:11 AM
15 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
"Picked it up yesterday"

US

I went & picked the D3100 up yesterday, had to wait for a large check to clear at the bank. The first thing I did was plug the battery charger in & juice up the battery. I knew I had time due to the fact that anytime I get something new, the first thing is to read through the User Manual cover to cover. I then slapped in a 2G card I had already for another camera & started firing away. I really love it, it's the first DSLR I've ever had. I'm totally board with the 18-55 lens that came with it. I feel a 55-200 is a better all around lens, for me at least. Anyway, just wanted to tell someone who care's that I finally got the camera, most of my friends & family could give a s**t. Looking foreword to learning everything about this unit that's not in the manual right here on the forum.

Alert Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic
MEMcD Moderator In depth knowledge in various areas Nikonian since 24th Dec 2007Sun 10-Apr-11 09:25 AM
26192 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#1. "RE: Picked it up yesterday"
In response to Reply # 0

US

Hi Mark,

Congratulations on your new D3100.
I hope you formatted the card in the camera before you started shooting!
Enjoy your new camera.
Good Luck and Enjoy your Nikons!

Best Regards,
Marty

MAXXFJ Registered since 01st Apr 2011Sun 10-Apr-11 11:31 AM
15 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#2. "RE: Picked it up yesterday"
In response to Reply # 1

US

Ya, I did format it, almost forgot to, but thought about it at the last min.

RobotDoctor Registered since 16th Apr 2011Sat 16-Apr-11 09:51 PM
2 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#3. "RE: Picked it up yesterday"
In response to Reply # 2

US

I am new to the Nikon camera family and also just picked up the D3100 and a 200mm telephoto lens (18-200mm). How has the camera worked out for you?

MAXXFJ Registered since 01st Apr 2011Tue 19-Apr-11 11:11 AM
#4. "RE: Picked it up yesterday"
In response to Reply # 3

US

Very well, I love everything about it. I finally got to tell my wife, "I told you so". She has been having problems with blurred pictures due to the delayed shutter on those little pocket point & shoot camera's. Although they are Nikon's it happens almost every time. I've been telling her for years that if we spend the cash on a "real" digital camera this would not happen. She has said all this time, "You just want the expensive one", & she was right I did, but now she loves the 3100 just as much as I do. She said, "Wow, this is great, every picture I take comes out perfect". I told you so.

robinchun Registered since 01st May 2011Tue 03-May-11 10:00 PM
10 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#5. "RE: Picked it up yesterday"
In response to Reply # 4

Bristol, GB

My D3100 arrived today,earlier than expected,so after nearly 40 years I now have a Nikon!!
Hope to put up some pics after the weekend..and look forward to chatting and 'snapping' with you all..

Robin

MEMcD Moderator In depth knowledge in various areas Nikonian since 24th Dec 2007Wed 04-May-11 02:07 AM
26192 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#6. "RE: Picked it up yesterday"
In response to Reply # 5

US

Hi Robin,

Best Regards,
Marty

iamnamja Registered since 17th May 2011Wed 18-May-11 07:12 PM
3 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#7. "RE: Picked it up yesterday"
In response to Reply # 6

US

Congrats!

I'm on the same boat as you. I JUST got mine a few weeks back... I was really shooting for D5100... But my wife convinced me and told me to go with something cheaper.

I'm kind of glad that she did.. because being a first DSLR.. I probably wouldn't be able to take advantage of the difference in D5100 and D3100 anyways... I'm going to use the extra money I saved to get the 35mm f/18 lens.

ceh5100 Registered since 27th May 2011Fri 27-May-11 09:00 PM
24 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#8. "RE: Picked it up yesterday"
In response to Reply # 7

US

>Congrats!
>
>I'm on the same boat as you. I JUST got mine a few weeks
>back... I was really shooting for D5100... But my wife
>convinced me and told me to go with something cheaper.
>
>I'm kind of glad that she did.. because being a first DSLR.. I
>probably wouldn't be able to take advantage of the difference
>in D5100 and D3100 anyways... I'm going to use the extra money
>I saved to get the 35mm f/18 lens.

Another congrats from a newbie too. I got a brand new D3100, my first dslr too, setting right here by my desk. However, I read a little bit, and don't plan on buying another dslr for a long, long time(got too many other hobbies)I am taking mine back, and getting the D5100. Oh, just like your wife, my wife came with her two cents, and told me to keep the D3100, because she knew I had the money to upgrade, and if I didn't upgrade, more money for her to spend. Plus, I have been trying to wait for the d5100 to go sale, I got the d3100 on sale for $598 (bestbuy), they also at one time had the d5100 on sale for $755.

Either the d3100 and d5100 is too much camera for me.. But, with the d5100 I am a notch up. Also, snagged the 55-200 VR S for $195 on sale.

We both on a roll. BTW, this is my FIRST post!! anohter tip, the wifees are always trying to low-ball our stuff, and high ball their stuff..

Luck, and good snapping to you,

JohnUK Registered since 11th Jun 2011Sat 11-Jun-11 07:26 AM
13 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#9. "RE: Picked it up yesterday"
In response to Reply # 2

Cirencester, GB

I bought a D3100 DSLR on Thursday (June 9th) - didn't realise that the SD cards need formatting. Bought two 8GB Sandisk SDHC cards from Amazon - do I need to do something to them prior to use? Have a compact Canon Ixus 870i up till now and SD cards worked Ok from the start.

Any help would be useful.

John (from UK)

jpFoto Registered since 25th Jun 2010Sat 11-Jun-11 06:30 PM
1114 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#10. "RE: Picked it up yesterday"
In response to Reply # 9

US

Hi John

Congratulations on the new camera.

Chances are that the cards will work fine out of the package, but it is highly recommended that you format them in your camera both now and each time that you are ready to delete the images because you have uploaded your photos to your computer and want a "clean" card.

It's easy to do. Just put the card in the camera. Turn it on and press "Menu." Go to the "Set up" menu. Pick "Format memory card."
Press OK. Pick "yes." And press OK. Done.

jP

MEMcD Moderator In depth knowledge in various areas Nikonian since 24th Dec 2007Sat 11-Jun-11 07:19 PM
#11. "RE: Picked it up yesterday"
In response to Reply # 9

US

Hi John,

Welcome to Nikonians!
As JP wrote above, just format the cards in the camera before you use them.

Best Regards,
Marty

JohnUK Registered since 11th Jun 2011Sun 21-Aug-11 12:43 AM
13 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#12. "RE: Picked it up yesterday"
In response to Reply # 10

Cirencester, GB

Hi, thanks for your advice. Sorted out the SD card formatting issue - easy to resolve, and formatted the memory card in the camera.

Having fun using my D3100. Since buying this DSLR have also invested in an extra Nikon 55-200mm 4-5.6 zoom lens and more recently a Nikon Speedlight SB-700 flash to add to the stable. I did buy a SB-400 flash which I am trying to sell to recover my purchase price but not having much success (might end up keeping it rather than giving it away!)

Awesome pieces of equipment.

Good luck and best wishes to all.

John.

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

chambersbros Registered since 20th Mar 2011Sun 21-Aug-11 09:29 AM
1 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#13. "RE: Picked it up yesterday"
In response to Reply # 0

US

I got one one Thursday, its reallym great. I have a D200 but wanted something lighter for hiking. Its perfect. I'm glad you're happy with yours.

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

dicemoney6 Registered since 24th Aug 2011Wed 24-Aug-11 06:26 PM
2 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#14. "RE: Picked it up yesterday"
In response to Reply # 13

US

I also have a Nikon D3100 have had it for a couple of months now and I learned a few but plan on spending more time with it and master, but I have a question. I am looking to find out if it is possible to take these kinds of picture with the D3100 http://www.shopklassiq.com/products . I have the 18-55 lens and I have checked online and a few people have said I might be able to do this with a 50mm f/1.8 G AF-S Nikkor Lens. Just wanted some feedback from Nikon experts... thanks

MEMcD Moderator In depth knowledge in various areas Nikonian since 24th Dec 2007Thu 25-Aug-11 01:42 AM
#15. "RE: Picked it up yesterday"
In response to Reply # 14

US

Hi Dwayne,

Welcome to Nikonians!
Yes! The D3100 is more than capable of capturing images like that, even with your kit 18-55mm.
Investing in lighting, a background, and experience shooting in Manual exposure mode will be more useful than a 50mm f/1.8G AF-S to capture the type of images depicted.

Best Regards,
Marty

dicemoney6 Registered since 24th Aug 2011Thu 25-Aug-11 06:13 PM
#16. "RE: Picked it up yesterday"
In response to Reply # 15

US

>Hi Dwayne,
>
>Welcome to Nikonians!
>Yes! The D3100 is more than capable of capturing images like
>that, even with your kit 18-55mm.
>Investing in lighting, a background, and experience shooting
>in Manual exposure mode will be more useful than a 50mm f/1.8G
>AF-S to capture the type of images depicted.
>Good Luck and Enjoy your Nikons!
ok thanks for the response, just trying to figure out what the difference would be in the lens I have and the and the 50mm f/1.8?, because I also do video interviews and went to my local best buy looking for a new lens and they told me I would be good with the lens I have. Is it fact that the 18-55mm is a very good lens or that the things I am doing are not that difficult?

Forums Lobby GET TO KNOW YOUR CAMERA & MASTER IT Nikon D5300/D5200/D5100/D5000/D3300/D3200/D3100/D3000 (Public) topic #3519 Previous topic | Next topic

Take the Nikonians Tour and learn more about being a Nikonian Wiki /FAQ /Help Listen to our MP3 photography radio channels Find anything on Nikon and imaging technology - fast!

Copyright © Nikonians 2000, 2014
All Rights Reserved

Nikonians®, NikoScope® and NikoniansAcademy™ are trademarks owned by Nikonians.org.
Nikon®, Nikonos® and Nikkor® are registered trademarks of Nikon Corporation.