Go to a  "printer friendly" view of this message which allow an easy print Printer-friendly copy Go to the page which allows you to send this topic link and a message to a friend Email this topic to a friend
Forums Lobby GET TO KNOW YOUR CAMERA & MASTER IT Nikon D5300/D5200/D5100/D5000/D3300/D3200/D3100/D3000 (Public) topic #3191
View in threaded mode

Subject: "What's with all the mirror flapping in Live Mode?" Previous topic | Next topic
clayolmstead Silver Member Nikonian since 21st Jul 2010Thu 27-Jan-11 01:21 PM
197 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
"What's with all the mirror flapping in Live Mode?"

Austin, US

On a D5000 in Live Mode, when I press the shutter, the mirror flips down and back up before the shutter opens, stays up while the shutter is open, then flips down and back up again afterwords. This seems like a lot of unnecessary activity. The mirror is already up; why does it need to come down?

The flip down/up before the picture is really annoying. It makes the shutter lag about 1/2 second, so Live Mode is useless except for stationary subjects. It happens when the shutter release has been half-pressed long enough to get the focus and exposure, or in manual focus, manual exposure - so it doesn't seem like the camera needs to access the metering or phase-detect focus sensors. I have a friend with a D7000 and he says it does the same thing.

Is there a reason for all this? More important, is there any way to stop the pre-picture mirror flip? The one after the picture is mystifying and noisy but doesn't affect the photo, so I'm OK with it.

Alert Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic
d3100user Silver Member Nikonian since 23rd Jan 2011Thu 27-Jan-11 08:57 PM
148 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#1. "RE: What's with all the mirror flapping in Live Mode?"
In response to Reply # 0
Thu 27-Jan-11 09:00 PM by d3100user

US

The reason for all the movement with the mirror in live view is that the mirror needs to be up for the light to hit the sensor so you can view the image on your screen. once you compose the image and depress the shutter all the way the mirror drops to capture the image. It then goes back up to return to live view.

gkaiseril Gold Member Nikonian since 28th Oct 2005Thu 27-Jan-11 10:00 PM
6739 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#2. "RE: What's with all the mirror flapping in Live Mode?"
In response to Reply # 1

Chicago, US

Part of the capture process includes verifying or acquiring focus, exposure, moving the mirror up, open the shutter, close the shutter, drop the mirror. And then open the mirror and shutter for Live View.

George
My Nikonian Galleries

clayolmstead Silver Member Nikonian since 21st Jul 2010Fri 28-Jan-11 02:13 PM
197 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#3. "RE: What's with all the mirror flapping in Live Mode?"
In response to Reply # 2

Austin, US

>Part of the capture process includes verifying or acquiring
>focus, exposure, moving the mirror up, open the shutter, close
>the shutter, drop the mirror. And then open the mirror and
>shutter for Live View.

The manual does say to cover the viewfinder during live view so the light from it doesn't affect the exposure. I wish it would recognize that it's in manual mode and doesn't need to go through that step. I'll see if I can write an email to Nikon and request that change. With the D5000 out of production there's no chance for a firmware update, but maybe that feature will get into some future model.

clayolmstead Silver Member Nikonian since 21st Jul 2010Tue 15-Feb-11 02:52 AM
#4. "RE: What's with all the mirror flapping in Live Mode?"
In response to Reply # 3

Austin, US

I asked the same question to support@nikontech.com. Their answer was that the mirror needed to go down and back up before the shot to "reset" before taking the picture. That made no sense to me, but that was the only answer I got. The D7000 has a mirror lock-up feature, which, if it works like I think it does, may be the answer. I'll get a chance to find out when my D5k wears out in another 92,000 pictures.

Forums Lobby GET TO KNOW YOUR CAMERA & MASTER IT Nikon D5300/D5200/D5100/D5000/D3300/D3200/D3100/D3000 (Public) topic #3191 Previous topic | Next topic

Take the Nikonians Tour and learn more about being a Nikonian Wiki /FAQ /Help Listen to our MP3 photography radio channels Find anything on Nikon and imaging technology - fast!

Copyright © Nikonians 2000, 2014
All Rights Reserved

Nikonians®, NikoScope® and NikoniansAcademy™ are trademarks owned by Nikonians.org.
Nikon®, Nikonos® and Nikkor® are registered trademarks of Nikon Corporation.