Go to a  "printer friendly" view of this message which allow an easy print Printer-friendly copy Go to the page which allows you to send this topic link and a message to a friend Email this topic to a friend
Forums Lobby GET TO KNOW YOUR CAMERA & MASTER IT Nikon D5300/D5200/D5100/D5000/D3300/D3200/D3100/D3000 (Public) topic #1972
View in threaded mode

Subject: "NikoniansPress Mastering your Nikon D3000 book" Previous topic | Next topic
jrp Administrator JRP is one of the co-founders, has in-depth knowledge in various areas. Awarded for his contributions for the Resources Charter MemberSat 12-Jun-10 04:36 AM
35056 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
"NikoniansPress Mastering your Nikon D3000 book"

San Pedro Garza García, MX

Fellow Nikonians,
We are very happy to to present you with

Mastering the Nikon D3000

by Nikonian Darrell Young, one more book of the NikoniansPress Series in combination with RockyNook.

In his friendly style, Darrell makes this book a very comprehensive illustrated guide for owners of this latest, budget-friendly generation of Nikon DSLR cameras.

Like in the D5000 book, Darrell understands that you may be one of the many owners of the D3000 who may be just entering into the world of DSLR cameras; therefore he takes time to guide you through some of the basics of photography, while also leading you through more complex topics. Readers will be able to develop as photographers with the D3000, progressing from camera-controlled automatic operation to user-managed manual control, shortening your learning curve.

As in all previous volumes in the series, this new book also carries a 50% voucher discount for a one year Gold Membership. It is on page 365.
You don't need to wait for your current membership to expire.
You can use the voucher to upgrade, extending your unexpired membership for one year but at the new Gold level.

Have a great time
JRP (Founder & Administrator. Nikonian at the north-eastern Mexican desert) Gallery, Brief Love Story, The Team
Join the Silver, Gold and Platinum members that help this happen; upgrade. Join your personal web site to the Nikonians WebRing
Make sure you check our workshops at The Nikonians Academy and the product catalog of the Photo Pro Shop

Attachment #1, (jpg file)

Alert Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic
DigitalDarrell Team Member Founding Member of the Nikonians writer Guild. Author of most of the NikoniansPress books. Donor Ribbon awarded for his generous support to the Fundraising Campaign 2014 Charter MemberSun 13-Jun-10 01:07 AM
5953 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#1. "RE: NikoniansPress Mastering your Nikon D3000 book"
In response to Reply # 0

Knoxville, US

The Nikon D3000 is a sleeper camera. For someone on a budget, it takes awfully good pictures and is very easy to carry everywhere.

We took a lot of time to make sure that Mastering the Nikon D3000 covered all aspects of the camera, as well as some photography basics for those coming over from the point-and-shoot world.

You can start out in fully automatic modes with the D3000, and gradually learn how to operate the camera in more advanced modes. The book takes you through not only the basic GUIDE menu system, but also teaches you to use the more advanced parts of the camera. You can grow as a photographer with the D3000 and its companion, Mastering the Nikon D3000.

If you already have the book, and bought it at Amazon.com, I would appreciate it if you would write a good review of the book there. It really helps with the success of these books when you take the time to review them. NikoniansPress wants to keep on providing great reference and teaching material for our members.

Remember ... each NikoniansPress book is written and edited by Nikonians for Nikonians.

Digital Darrell

DigitalDarrell Team Member Founding Member of the Nikonians writer Guild. Author of most of the NikoniansPress books. Donor Ribbon awarded for his generous support to the Fundraising Campaign 2014 Charter MemberMon 28-Jun-10 01:05 AM
5953 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#2. "RE: NikoniansPress Mastering your Nikon D3000 book"
In response to Reply # 0
Mon 28-Jun-10 01:45 AM by DigitalDarrell

Knoxville, US

For those considering the Nikon D3000 camera, but not yet sure if image quality is good enough, rest your mind. When I was writing Mastering the Nikon D3000 and shooting sample images, I was simply amazed at the quality I got out of this camera in AUTO and Aperture Priority (A) modes.

What do you want to know about the D3000 today?

Digital Darrell

Attachment #2, (jpg file)

jaybee Registered since 12th May 2003Fri 20-Aug-10 09:26 PM
59 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#3. "RE: NikoniansPress Mastering your Nikon D3000 book"
In response to Reply # 0

Delano, US

Just received my copy of "Mastering the D3000".
I want to say that it is all you've stated in your invitation to purchase ! I have found it to be the most comprehensive of a host of other books. Am really enjoying reading/experimenting with it and my D3000. Thanks ......Jaybee

jaybee

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

DigitalDarrell Team Member Founding Member of the Nikonians writer Guild. Author of most of the NikoniansPress books. Donor Ribbon awarded for his generous support to the Fundraising Campaign 2014 Charter MemberFri 20-Aug-10 09:54 PM
#4. "RE: NikoniansPress Mastering your Nikon D3000 book"
In response to Reply # 3

Knoxville, US

I'm glad my book is helpful to you, Jaybee. The D3000 is quite a nice little camera. However, it has so many modes that it can be complex at times.

The good thing about that is, a motivated person can use the D3000 as a very basic camera (Guide Modes), or can learn about the more advanced exposure modes used by professionals.

I brought home a lot of excellent images with my D3000. I'd love to see a couple of your best images.

Digital Darrell

dgrover1122 Registered since 03rd Dec 2010Mon 13-Dec-10 12:30 PM
125 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#5. "RE: NikoniansPress Mastering your Nikon D3000 book"
In response to Reply # 4

Alexandria, US

I just purchased this book and I don;t know what I would do without it. It answered so many of my questions. Great job!!

DigitalDarrell Team Member Founding Member of the Nikonians writer Guild. Author of most of the NikoniansPress books. Donor Ribbon awarded for his generous support to the Fundraising Campaign 2014 Charter MemberMon 13-Dec-10 01:41 PM
#6. "RE: NikoniansPress Mastering your Nikon D3000 book"
In response to Reply # 5

Knoxville, US

dgrover1122,

The D3000 is a cool little sleeper camera. I'm glad the book was helpful to you.

Digital Darrell

dgrover1122 Registered since 03rd Dec 2010Fri 24-Dec-10 01:29 PM
125 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#7. "RE: NikoniansPress Mastering your Nikon D3000 book"
In response to Reply # 6

Alexandria, US

Is the mertering option only available in PSAM? When I look at it it is greyed out in shooting and info menus. The book is a great learning tool. Happy holidays.

dlewis4 Registered since 12th Mar 2011Sat 12-Mar-11 02:54 AM
1 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#8. "RE: NikoniansPress Mastering your Nikon D3000 book"
In response to Reply # 7

US

I think I am going to buy this book in the next few days. I just ordered this camera, and am eager to learn.

DigitalDarrell Team Member Founding Member of the Nikonians writer Guild. Author of most of the NikoniansPress books. Donor Ribbon awarded for his generous support to the Fundraising Campaign 2014 Charter MemberSat 12-Mar-11 04:06 AM
#9. "RE: NikoniansPress Mastering your Nikon D3000 book"
In response to Reply # 8

Knoxville, US

>I think I am going to buy this book in the next few days. I
>just ordered this camera, and am eager to learn.

It should help you learn the camera very well. The D3000 is a nice camera and takes excellent images.

Thanks for considering my book!

Digital Darrell

L2 Photography Registered since 01st Jul 2011Sat 02-Jul-11 06:02 PM
20 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#10. "RE: NikoniansPress Mastering your Nikon D3000 book"
In response to Reply # 0

TH

I placed an order for your book via Amazon and am looking forward to immediately putting it to good use. I'll have my hands on the camera and the book this week.

Quick question...

I really like the clouds in the picture you posted of the trains...they have depth, which isn't always the case. I have a picture I took a while back in which the clouds are like that (have depth)...see attached.

My question is, did you (we) get that depth because included in the shots are long distances (as shown with the trains in your photo and with the road in my photo)? Or, was it something you (I) did with the camera in that particular shot (a particular setting)? The reason I ask is because I'd like to get more shots of clouds that have that same depth effect.

Thanks and I'm looking forward to reading your book. Once I'm done with it, I'll be sure to write a quick review here and on Amazon.

fanautical Registered since 04th Aug 2011Mon 29-Aug-11 03:52 AM
57 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#11. "RE: NikoniansPress Mastering your Nikon D3000 book"
In response to Reply # 10

Margate, US

I am completely new to both digital and dslr photography. When I got my D3000 in late June, I was kind of overwhelmed by all the features but the book was EXTREMELY helpful in explaining everything. Thanks!

DigitalDarrell Team Member Founding Member of the Nikonians writer Guild. Author of most of the NikoniansPress books. Donor Ribbon awarded for his generous support to the Fundraising Campaign 2014 Charter MemberMon 29-Aug-11 04:29 PM
#12. "RE: NikoniansPress Mastering your Nikon D3000 book"
In response to Reply # 10
Mon 29-Aug-11 04:32 PM by DigitalDarrell

Knoxville, US

L2,

The effect you have captured well in your landscape shot and in the one in the book is the use of leading lines (vanishing perspective) to pull the eye of the viewer deep into the picture. Although an image is two dimensional (flat), you can make it look more 3D by doing exactly what you did in your image. You included a foreground object (the jeep) that provides an anchor point for the image. Something up close to judge distances. Then you have given us a road that is wide up close and gradually recedes into the distance, getting narrower and narrower as it recedes. The road seems to go under the clouds as it fades into infinity, so the clouds have depth.

You have figured this out on your own. Adding depth requires two things:

1. A foreground object.
2. Vanishing perspective.

You have captured both quite well in your interesting image. It tells a story. It is a success!

Digital Darrell

DigitalDarrell Team Member Founding Member of the Nikonians writer Guild. Author of most of the NikoniansPress books. Donor Ribbon awarded for his generous support to the Fundraising Campaign 2014 Charter MemberMon 29-Aug-11 04:31 PM
#13. "RE: NikoniansPress Mastering your Nikon D3000 book"
In response to Reply # 11

Knoxville, US

>I am completely new to both digital and dslr photography.
>When I got my D3000 in late June, I was kind of overwhelmed by
>all the features but the book was EXTREMELY helpful in
>explaining everything. Thanks!

I'm so glad the book was helpful to you. Post a few pictures!

Digital Darrell

amalymi Registered since 13th Nov 2011Sun 13-Nov-11 01:46 AM
1 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#14. "RE: NikoniansPress Mastering your Nikon D3000 book"
In response to Reply # 2

US

Love your pictures. Thank you for not making the D3000 sound horrible. I have a D3000 and with practice my pictures are becoming better. I consider myself super amateur. But I am learning....slowly.

Tinybikerchick Registered since 15th Jul 2012Sun 15-Jul-12 10:13 PM
6 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#15. "RE: NikoniansPress Mastering your Nikon D3000 book"
In response to Reply # 0

UK

I think I may have to investigate the kindle version! Bit short on cash, but the book sounds great!

I am getting there slowly with my D3000 I just need to see other ways of using other settings, so far, I've not used the auto setting, and just adjust things one way or another to get the picture I want, which only works well if the object I'm taking pictures of a) isn't moving b) isn't a one off opportunity!

K x

Being bitchy and unstable is all part of my mystique!

TippynTyler Registered since 23rd Sep 2012Sun 23-Sep-12 12:29 AM
2 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#16. "RE: NikoniansPress Mastering your Nikon D3000 book"
In response to Reply # 0

Howard, US

I'm wondering where I could buy the book for the D5000? I just ordered the D5000 used from e-bay and I don't think it comes with an owner's manual. Is there a way I can at least access a owner's manual online or buy one? Is this book a good subsitute for the owner's manual or a supplement?

Thanks!

DigitalDarrell Team Member Founding Member of the Nikonians writer Guild. Author of most of the NikoniansPress books. Donor Ribbon awarded for his generous support to the Fundraising Campaign 2014 Charter MemberSun 23-Sep-12 01:55 AM
#17. "RE: NikoniansPress Mastering your Nikon D3000 book"
In response to Reply # 16

Knoxville, US

>I'm wondering where I could buy the book for the D5000? I
>just ordered the D5000 used from e-bay and I don't think it
>comes with an owner's manual. Is there a way I can at least
>access a owner's manual online or buy one? Is this book a
>good subsitute for the owner's manual or a supplement?
>
>Thanks!

Donald,

Congratulations on getting your D5000!

You can order Mastering the Nikon D5000 through my website here. Scroll down: http://www.pictureandpen.com/Menu_Nikon_Books.asp

With my book it is not likely you will need a manual. However, you can download an original Nikon user's manual here: http://support.nikonusa.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/16431

If I can help you any further, let me know.

Digital Darrell

TippynTyler Registered since 23rd Sep 2012Tue 25-Sep-12 06:38 AM
2 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#18. "RE: NikoniansPress Mastering your Nikon D3000 book"
In response to Reply # 0
Tue 25-Sep-12 06:50 AM by TippynTyler

Howard, US

Thanks for the information--I just downloaded the Mastering your Nikon D5000 book on my PC-Kindle.

Thanks again!

Forums Lobby GET TO KNOW YOUR CAMERA & MASTER IT Nikon D5300/D5200/D5100/D5000/D3300/D3200/D3100/D3000 (Public) topic #1972 Previous topic | Next topic

Take the Nikonians Tour and learn more about being a Nikonian Wiki /FAQ /Help Listen to our MP3 photography radio channels Find anything on Nikon and imaging technology - fast!

Copyright © Nikonians 2000, 2014
All Rights Reserved

Nikonians®, NikoScope® and NikoniansAcademy™ are trademarks owned by Nikonians.org.
Nikon®, Nikonos® and Nikkor® are registered trademarks of Nikon Corporation.