Go to a  "printer friendly" view of this message which allow an easy print Printer-friendly copy Go to the page which allows you to send this topic link and a message to a friend Email this topic to a friend
Forums Lobby GET TO KNOW YOUR CAMERA & MASTER IT Nikon D5300/D5200/D5100/D5000/D3300/D3200/D3100/D3000 (Public) topic #7836
View in threaded mode

Subject: "Question - How to for D3100" Previous topic | Next topic
blueeyedsuzie Registered since 01st Sep 2012Tue 12-Mar-13 03:16 PM
53 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
"Question - How to for D3100"

US

I've taken shots when they look focus when they are viewed smaller but when I bring it to full size they are out of focus.

What am I doing wrong? How can I fix this?

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

Alert Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic
mareng Registered since 14th Jan 2013Tue 12-Mar-13 04:17 PM
34 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#1. "RE: Question - How to for D3100"
In response to Reply # 0

Thatcham. GB, GB

Have you turned on your VR?
Have you taken the same photo using auto focus?
Try taking a photo with your camera on a table say, and use the delayed shutter release (hands off camera) to see if your image is sharp.
You could also try this website below if all else fails to narrow down the problem to a) Is it me? 2) Is it the camera?

http://photographylife.com/how-to-quickly-test-your-dslr-for-autofocus-issues

Your photos on your gallery look ok but you cannot get full screen.

Please let us know how you got on.
Good Luck.

Mareng

JosephK Silver Member Fellow Ribbon awarded for his excellent and frequent contributions and sharing his in-depth knowledge and experience with the community in the Nikonians spirit. Nikonian since 17th Apr 2006Tue 12-Mar-13 05:43 PM
4142 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#2. "RE: Question - How to for D3100"
In response to Reply # 0

Seattle, WA, US

What subjects are you shooting?
What are your focus settings?

An example photo with all the EXIF data intact would be helpful.

---------+---------+---------+---------+---------+
Joseph K
Seattle, WA, USA

D700, D200, D70S, 24-70mm f/2.8, VR 70-200mm f/2.8 II,
50mm f/1.4 D, 70-300mm f/4.5-5.6 VR, 18-70mm f/3.5-4.5 DX

rthummala Registered since 07th Mar 2013Tue 12-Mar-13 08:50 PM
2 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#3. "RE: Question - How to for D3100"
In response to Reply # 2
Tue 12-Mar-13 08:56 PM by rthummala

US

At what ISO and shutter speed are you shooting.

-Raghu

rthummala Registered since 07th Mar 2013Tue 12-Mar-13 08:55 PM
2 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#4. "RE: Question - How to for D3100"
In response to Reply # 3

US

Discussion in below like could be helpful.

http://www.nikonians.org/forums/dcboard.php?az=show_topic&forum=312&topic_id=7811&mesg_id=7811&page=

-Raghu

blueeyedsuzie Registered since 01st Sep 2012Wed 13-Mar-13 03:34 PM
53 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#5. "RE: Question - How to for D3100"
In response to Reply # 2

US

The one I can tell you right now is the frog picture in my gallery.

golfercat Silver Member Nikonian since 15th Sep 2012Wed 13-Mar-13 04:04 PM
190 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#6. "RE: Question - How to for D3100"
In response to Reply # 0

Menifee, US

Looking at your picture, I see that your focal length is 300mm with the speed set to 1/125 sec at F5.6.

If you are hand holding, you are not going to get sharp results with those settings. I would sugguest that you set your speed to greater than 1/300 sec. You might also want to use VR.

The best option to get a sharp image with those settings is to use a tripod. That's my opinion for what it is worth.

Happy shooting

coolmom42 Silver Member Awarded for her enthusiastic support of the community and exemplifying the Nikonian mission “Share, Learn and Inspire” Nikonian since 30th Nov 2011Thu 14-Mar-13 02:06 AM
2974 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#7. "RE: Question - How to for D3100"
In response to Reply # 5

McEwen, US

You are going to have a hard time holding steady at 300 mm DX (450 mm equivalent on FX) and that shutter speed. General rule of thumb is to keep your exposure speed at the reciprocal of the focal length. You can push it a little slower with VR on but not too far.

In this case if you had bumped the ISO to 800 your shutter speed would have been fast enough to prevent motion shake. Your D3100 will give good results at ISO 800, don't be afraid to use it if needed.

working on it in Middle TN
Nikon D3100

35 mm 1.8 Nikkor
18-55 mm Nikkor VR
55-200 mm Nikkor VR
55-300 mm Nikkor VR
150-500 mm Sigma OS
Feisol CT3471 & Markins M20 ballhead

Forums Lobby GET TO KNOW YOUR CAMERA & MASTER IT Nikon D5300/D5200/D5100/D5000/D3300/D3200/D3100/D3000 (Public) topic #7836 Previous topic | Next topic

Take the Nikonians Tour and learn more about being a Nikonian Wiki /FAQ /Help Listen to our MP3 photography radio channels Find anything on Nikon and imaging technology - fast!

Copyright © Nikonians 2000, 2014
All Rights Reserved

Nikonians®, NikoScope® and NikoniansAcademy™ are trademarks owned by Nikonians.org.
Nikon®, Nikonos® and Nikkor® are registered trademarks of Nikon Corporation.