Go to a  "printer friendly" view of this message which allow an easy print Printer-friendly copy Go to the page which allows you to send this topic link and a message to a friend Email this topic to a friend
Forums Lobby GET TO KNOW YOUR CAMERA & MASTER IT Nikon D5300/D5200/D5100/D5000/D3300/D3200/D3100/D3000 (Public) topic #7817
View in threaded mode

Subject: "working in RAW" Previous topic | Next topic
RobArtPhoto Silver Member Nikonian since 02nd Apr 2009Mon 11-Mar-13 04:23 PM
15 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
"working in RAW"

New York, US

well I Never worked with raw photos always JPG's. and I would like to know how to work with raw photos. is there a site for "OLD" beginners that I can learn from. I'm going to be 70 this year. always thought it would be to hard to work in raw, but I keep seeing where the photos look better when you work from a raw photo.and I would like to make my brain do something a little different.
thank you in advance
Robert

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

Alert Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic
avm247 Moderator Awarded for high skills in documentary architecture and aviation photography Charter MemberMon 11-Mar-13 04:46 PM
18362 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#1. "RE: working in RAW"
In response to Reply # 0

Rancho Cordova, US

I like to think of RAW as just another image format, devoid of the incamera processing and compression. WYSIWYG - What you see is what you get. A little simplistic but it works for me.

I use Nikon View NX2 for minor RAW adjustments. I use Nikon Capture 2 for more indepth processing. Once there, I convert to JPEG and post.

But I don't do "serious" corrections. (Not saying I don't want to, I just don't shoot enough or have enough time to really get into post-processing.)

Anthony

The Moderator Page and My Gallery
The important things in life are simple; the simple things are hard.

MEMcD Moderator In depth knowledge in various areas Nikonian since 24th Dec 2007Mon 11-Mar-13 09:01 PM
25663 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#2. "RE: working in RAW"
In response to Reply # 0

US

Hi Robert,

Nikon Capture NX2 is very easy to use. Unlike third party image editing software, Capture NX2 reads and includes the In Camera settings by default. You then have the option to use the In-Camera settings or change them in the computer as you see fit.
Good Luck and Enjoy your Nikons!

Best Regards,
Marty

chesterdawg Silver Member Nikonian since 04th Jul 2010Thu 28-Mar-13 01:17 PM
202 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#3. "RE: working in RAW"
In response to Reply # 0

Commerce, US

I prefer working with Adobe Lightroom 4.
Just slide the sliders and see the result.
Working order is logical. You work in modules left to right and top to bottom.

Steve

Sasquatch519 Registered since 26th Mar 2013Thu 28-Mar-13 02:05 PM
22 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#4. "RE: working in RAW"
In response to Reply # 0

US

I prefer Lightroom 4. I have also noticed that image processing seems to work much better from RAW than JPEG, so that's why I started shooting it. I just wish it didn't take up so much storage space.

I'm no Lightroom expert yet, but I did get a pretty good idea about how to do some things by watching a few free videos. I just googled "Lightroom 4 Tutorials" and got tons of results. Videos from Adobe were helpful in figuring out how to organize and manage images with Lightroom and some videos from a guy named Serge Ramelli were helpful in showing me some of the possibilities for editing images. I'm sure there are tons of other resources out there, but those were the ones I used.

Nikon D5100
AF-S DX NIKKOR 18-300mm f/3.5-5.6G ED VR
AF-S DX NIKKOR 10-24mm f/3.5-4.5G ED
AF-S NIKKOR 50mm f/1.8G
SB-700 AF Speedlight

pjonesCET Gold Member Nikonian since 11th Jul 2011Fri 29-Mar-13 02:45 AM
543 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to send message via AOL IM
#5. "RE: working in RAW"
In response to Reply # 3

Martinsville, US

>I prefer working with Adobe Lightroom 4.
>Just slide the sliders and see the result.
>Working order is logical. You work in modules left to right
>and top to bottom.
>
>Steve

I have Aperture and LightRoom (which just I bought) I find Aperture much easier to use. Particularly Focus. Lightroom does one thing that That I bought it for ability to create Web page Photo Albums.

Phillip M Jones, CET
pjonescet@comcast.net
http://www.phillipmjones.net/

https://www.flickr.com/photos/pjonescet/
http://phillipjones-cet.net

blw Moderator Awarded for his high level of expertise in various areas Nikonian since 18th Jun 2004Sun 31-Mar-13 02:28 PM
26573 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to send message via AOL IM
#6. "RE: working in RAW"
In response to Reply # 0

Richmond, US

It varies by how you learn, but I have found the Luminous Landscape Lightroom tutorials to be quite valuable.

I maintain a thread over in the New to Photography forum about what you can do with post processing. It's this one. Although most of this can be done starting from JPG files, it's definitely better to start from raw, which is what I do.

_____
Brian... a bicoastal Nikonian and Team Member

My gallery is online. Comments and critique welcomed any time!

pjonesCET Gold Member Nikonian since 11th Jul 2011Mon 01-Apr-13 09:55 PM
543 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to send message via AOL IM
#7. "RE: working in RAWI"
In response to Reply # 6

Martinsville, US

Very good thread definite tell you are a pro.
I have one difference of opinion on the shot of the fellow in concert. You have his face looking bright red as opposed to be natural.

Phillip M Jones, CET
pjonescet@comcast.net
http://www.phillipmjones.net/

https://www.flickr.com/photos/pjonescet/
http://phillipjones-cet.net

blw Moderator Awarded for his high level of expertise in various areas Nikonian since 18th Jun 2004Tue 02-Apr-13 07:54 AM
26573 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to send message via AOL IM
#8. "RE: working in RAWI"
In response to Reply # 7

Richmond, US

Yes, I agree. However, you really can't argue that the shirt looks far better. So I claim that if I had to use that image for publication, I'd redo the editing and apply the same change - but only to the shirt area. I'd do that by applying the green desaturation using the adjustment brush, rather than by doing it as I did in the example, which is applying it globally.

_____
Brian... a bicoastal Nikonian and Team Member

My gallery is online. Comments and critique welcomed any time!

DinoCardelli Registered since 19th Oct 2010Tue 02-Apr-13 08:52 AM
236 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#9. "RE: working in RAWI"
In response to Reply # 8

Plantation, US

My workflow is as follows:

1.) Always shoot in both raw and JPG fine (backup in case the raw has a problem)
2.) I use 4,8,16GB cards and change them often during the shoot to prevent a loss or problem

For processing...

1.) I go to NIKON Transfer and set up files to capture my RAWS on my MAC - I have a directory call RAWS which I bring in the photos off the card. When the Nikon transfer is complete...I then.....
2.) Run a backup to my external harddrive once it goes on to the MAC
3.) From RAW on the MAC I then import to LR4 (yes, I know you can go directly from your card to LR4, but, I just like the extra step of separating the photos to an independent directory and performing an immediate backup.

DC

Visit my professional gallery.

Forums Lobby GET TO KNOW YOUR CAMERA & MASTER IT Nikon D5300/D5200/D5100/D5000/D3300/D3200/D3100/D3000 (Public) topic #7817 Previous topic | Next topic

Take the Nikonians Tour and learn more about being a Nikonian Wiki /FAQ /Help Listen to our MP3 photography radio channels Find anything on Nikon and imaging technology - fast!

Copyright © Nikonians 2000, 2014
All Rights Reserved

Nikonians®, NikoScope® and NikoniansAcademy™ are trademarks owned by Nikonians.org.
Nikon®, Nikonos® and Nikkor® are registered trademarks of Nikon Corporation.