nikonians

Even though we ARE Nikon lovers,we are NOT affiliated with Nikon Corp. in any way.

| |
Go to a  "printer friendly" view of this message which allow an easy print Printer-friendly copy Go to the page which allows you to send this topic link and a message to a friend Email this topic to a friend
Forums Lobby GET TO KNOW YOUR CAMERA & MASTER IT Nikon D5300/D5200/D5100/D5000/D3300/D3200/D3100/D3000 (Public) topic #7555
View in threaded mode

Subject: "Using micro SD cards in Nikon 5100" Previous topic | Next topic
RobynF Registered since 31st Jan 2013Thu 31-Jan-13 11:57 PM
1 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
"Using micro SD cards in Nikon 5100"

US

I just got a Nikon 5100 after many years of using Canon cameras. I have several micro SD cards that I used with my Canon cameras via an SD adapter. I would like to use them with my Nikon, but they are not on the official approved memory card list, and Nikon tech support told me that no Nikon cameras support micro SD cards, even with an SD adapter. Could that possibly be true? Are other Nikon photographers out there using microSD cards with an adapter?

Alert Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic
MEMcD Moderator In depth knowledge in various areas Nikonian since 24th Dec 2007Fri 01-Feb-13 02:51 AM
26976 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#1. "RE: Using micro SD cards in Nikon 5100"
In response to Reply # 0

US

Hi Robyn,

Welcome to Nikonians!
Congratulations on your new D5100.
I am sure that it is true that Nikon has never tested Micro SD cards with an adaptor in the D5100 or any other Nikon DSLR.
While Nikon will only guaranty that the approved memory cards will work in any particular camera body, it is rare when other non-Approved (brands, speed, and or capacity) of memory cards do not work.

You could test one in your camera by formatting it and then trying to capture a few test shots and see what happens.
That said, SD cards are reasonably inexpensive even for the top brands (Sandisk and Lexar).
Good Luck and Enjoy your Nikons!

Best Regards,
Marty

jec6613 Silver Member Nikonian since 12th Feb 2013Wed 13-Feb-13 09:20 AM
726 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#2. "RE: Using micro SD cards in Nikon 5100"
In response to Reply # 0

Norwalk, US

I use MicroSD in an adapter periodically when I need high portability for JPEGs, but generally stick to the much faster full sized SD cards unless I need to use Micro for some reason (usually to share immediately with a device that only takes Micro).

There's no electrical reason they won't work, the MicroSD to SD adapters are just physical adapters, the electrical connection is identical, but Nikon just doesn't guarantee they will. This is the case with most DSLR manufacturers, FWIW.

blueeyedsuzie Registered since 01st Sep 2012Wed 13-Mar-13 04:37 PM
53 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#3. "RE: Using micro SD cards in Nikon 5100"
In response to Reply # 0

US

For my D3100 I use MicroSD in an adapter 40% of the time. I mistakenly purchase it online and I haven't had any issues with it. I have keep reminding myself when I look over my stuff that it's a MicroSD in an adapter, not like my others.

I don't think there should be any issues.

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

Forums Lobby GET TO KNOW YOUR CAMERA & MASTER IT Nikon D5300/D5200/D5100/D5000/D3300/D3200/D3100/D3000 (Public) topic #7555 Previous topic | Next topic