nikonians

Even though we ARE Nikon lovers,we are NOT affiliated with Nikon Corp. in any way.

| |
Go to a  "printer friendly" view of this message which allow an easy print Printer-friendly copy Go to the page which allows you to send this topic link and a message to a friend Email this topic to a friend
Forums Lobby GET TO KNOW YOUR CAMERA & MASTER IT Nikon D5300/D5200/D5100/D5000/D3300/D3200/D3100/D3000 (Public) topic #7449
View in threaded mode

Subject: "FX Lens on a Nikon D3200" Previous topic | Next topic
Clarktmc Gold Member Nikonian since 04th Nov 2008Wed 16-Jan-13 09:36 PM
751 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
"FX Lens on a Nikon D3200"

Killeen, US

I just got hold of a Nikon D3200. The issue is I have a bunch of FX Pro Lens to include the 18-300mm Nikon. I also have the 70.200mm 2.8 II. Can I use these lens on this DX camera?

That it the question of the day.....

thanks for reading....

Tom

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

Alert Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic
gkaiseril Gold Member Nikonian since 28th Oct 2005Wed 16-Jan-13 11:06 PM
6739 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#1. "RE: FX Lens on a Nikon D3200"
In response to Reply # 0

Chicago, US

Yes a Nikon full frame lens will work on a DX body, just make sure it is compatible and not a pre-AI lens, which needs a conversion to not damage the electronic connections.

You will only be using the center half of the projected image.

The user manual list some of the Nikon compatible lenses.

George
My Nikonian Galleries

Clarktmc Gold Member Nikonian since 04th Nov 2008Wed 16-Jan-13 11:29 PM
751 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#2. "RE: FX Lens on a Nikon D3200"
In response to Reply # 1

Killeen, US

I have the new 28-300 VR from Nikon. When I shoot the picture will I be able to tell that this lens is not DX. Will it crop it funny or what?

Tom

JosephK Silver Member Fellow Ribbon awarded for his excellent and frequent contributions and sharing his in-depth knowledge and experience with the community in the Nikonians spirit. Nikonian since 17th Apr 2006Thu 17-Jan-13 01:22 AM
4915 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#3. "RE: FX Lens on a Nikon D3200"
In response to Reply # 2

Seattle, WA, US

DX cameras use only the center 2/3 part of the FX image circle. The DX camera will have a field of view with this lens as if the lens was a 42-450mm lens due to the size of the sensor.

Most people would say that the 42mm field of view is not wide enough on a DX body for general work, but that is a decision you need to make based on your shooting style and subjects.

---------+---------+---------+---------+---------+
Joseph K
Seattle, WA, USA

D700, D200, D70S, 24-70mm f/2.8, VR 70-200mm f/2.8 II,
50mm f/1.4 D, 70-300mm f/4.5-5.6 VR, 18-70mm f/3.5-4.5 DX

Antero52 Silver Member Awarded for his expertise in post-processing, being  consistently helpful and professional. Nikonian since 07th Jul 2009Thu 17-Jan-13 02:00 PM
2549 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#4. "RE: FX Lens on a Nikon D3200"
In response to Reply # 0

Vantaa, FI

If you study the photos posted on the wildlife section of this forum, you'll see that a large portion of them have been shot with FX lenses on pro DX bodies (very often a D300S).

Regards, Antero

MEMcD Moderator In depth knowledge in various areas Nikonian since 24th Dec 2007Thu 17-Jan-13 02:57 PM
27014 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#5. "RE: FX Lens on a Nikon D3200"
In response to Reply # 2

US

Hi Tom,

No!
FX lenses work perfectly on DX bodies.
In fact, Since FX lenses project a larger image circle on the sensor plane, the images will be sharper in the corners than a DX lens of the same focal length would be.
Good Luck and Enjoy your Nikons!

Best Regards,
Marty

Clarktmc Gold Member Nikonian since 04th Nov 2008Thu 17-Jan-13 05:51 PM
#6. "RE: FX Lens on a Nikon D3200"
In response to Reply # 4

Killeen, US

Great Thanks everyone for taking the time and help me out.

I think I will enjoy my new D3200....

My new walk around in car camera.

pistnbroke Registered since 01st Jul 2012Thu 24-Jan-13 11:43 AM
213 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#7. "RE: FX Lens on a Nikon D3200"
In response to Reply # 6

UK

I keep saying this and loads say they did not know but the Nikons all come out the factory set soft so up the sharpness to +9 and the contrast to -1 so you dont burn the whites. always shoot 1/2 stop under and lift it in lightroom or whatever you use.

briantilley Moderator Deep knowledge of bodies and lens; high level photography skills Nikonian since 26th Jan 2003Thu 24-Jan-13 12:13 PM
29354 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#8. "RE: FX Lens on a Nikon D3200"
In response to Reply # 7
Thu 24-Jan-13 12:18 PM by briantilley

Paignton, UK

It's true that Nikons in general have a default sharpening setting in their JPEG processing that is lower than some people may be used to. Perhaps Nikon assume their discerning buyers dislike the "over-sharpened" effect that some other cameras provide.

But I've never found a need to do what you suggest, on any of my (or my wife's) Nikons from a D3100 to a D3s. Sharpness is a matter of taste anyway, and I'm not sure a blanket setting of +9 would be appropriate for everyone.

I always sharpen images selectively in postprocessing, based on how they are going to be printed or viewed.

Brian
Welsh Nikonian

pistnbroke Registered since 01st Jul 2012Thu 24-Jan-13 12:30 PM
213 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#9. "RE: FX Lens on a Nikon D3200"
In response to Reply # 8

UK

even rockwell suggests +6 ..there are many who dont do any post processing and many who dont know that an adjustment is possible .....with 30,000 shots this season on D7000/3200 all at +9 we have no problems.

yes rockwell even uses his D600 at 6mp so yes I know dont bother to say it !!!!

grnzbra Silver Member Nikonian since 28th Sep 2011Thu 24-Jan-13 01:42 PM
325 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#10. "RE: FX Lens on a Nikon D3200"
In response to Reply # 7

Springfield, US

>...I keep saying this and loads say they did not know but the
>Nikons all come out the factory set soft...

Are we talking about lenses, cameras or both? Does sharpening in the camera do the same as sharpening in post processing?

pistnbroke Registered since 01st Jul 2012Thu 24-Jan-13 01:48 PM
#11. "RE: FX Lens on a Nikon D3200"
In response to Reply # 10

UK

Interesting point but my view has always been if it isnt there in the first place it never will be .....

I was talking sensor sharpening via the internal processor but I guess you must have the back focus right as well. I think the sharening only applies to JPEG

briantilley Moderator Deep knowledge of bodies and lens; high level photography skills Nikonian since 26th Jan 2003Thu 24-Jan-13 02:15 PM
29354 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#12. "RE: FX Lens on a Nikon D3200"
In response to Reply # 10
Thu 24-Jan-13 03:54 PM by briantilley

Paignton, UK

>Are we talking about lenses, cameras or both? Does sharpening
>in the camera do the same as sharpening in post processing?

In-camera sharpening (as applied to JPEGs) does the same job as sharpening in post processing. Any digitally-captured image will need some sharpening - that's just the way the technology is implemented currently. Allowing the camera to do it for you is certainly simple, but be aware that once applied, it can't really be "un-done" - and it's unlikely that every type of subject will require the same level of sharpening.

Leaving the sharpening to the post-processing stage is a more flexible - though more labour-intensive - option.

edited to correct spelling errors

Brian
Welsh Nikonian

pistnbroke Registered since 01st Jul 2012Thu 24-Jan-13 02:21 PM
#13. "RE: FX Lens on a Nikon D3200"
In response to Reply # 12

UK

maybe this is another RAW argument ...can you sharpen an unsharpe Jpeg/( as opposed to an out of focus one) Is there such a thing as an unsharpe RAW ?

Personally comming back from a wedding with 1200 to sharpen I dont think so .. we have had no problems with +9 Large Basic Jpeg in 30,000 shots this season

briantilley Moderator Deep knowledge of bodies and lens; high level photography skills Nikonian since 26th Jan 2003Thu 24-Jan-13 04:02 PM
#14. "RE: FX Lens on a Nikon D3200"
In response to Reply # 13

Paignton, UK

RAW is a different question - in-camera sharpening only applies to JPEG's.

A JPEG that has not been sharpened in-camera can certainly have sharpening applied in post-processing - in a more controllable way and with potentially better results. But... it does require time, effort and a degree of skill, and that approach is not for everyone

Brian
Welsh Nikonian

jec6613 Silver Member Nikonian since 12th Feb 2013Wed 13-Feb-13 01:45 AM
726 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#15. "RE: FX Lens on a Nikon D3200"
In response to Reply # 1

Norwalk, US

>Yes a Nikon full frame lens will work on a DX body, just make
>sure it is compatible and not a pre-AI lens, which needs a
>conversion to not damage the electronic connections.

Surprisingly, this is incorrect: the D3x00 and D5x00 can mount pre-AI lenses just fine, since they lack AI feelers to damage. They won't meter, but there's nothing wrong with mounting them. They are the only recent cameras that can mount pre-AI lenses.

Forums Lobby GET TO KNOW YOUR CAMERA & MASTER IT Nikon D5300/D5200/D5100/D5000/D3300/D3200/D3100/D3000 (Public) topic #7449 Previous topic | Next topic