Go to a  "printer friendly" view of this message which allow an easy print Printer-friendly copy Go to the page which allows you to send this topic link and a message to a friend Email this topic to a friend
Forums Lobby GET TO KNOW YOUR CAMERA & MASTER IT Nikon D5300/D5200/D5100/D5000/D3300/D3200/D3100/D3000 (Public) topic #7362
View in threaded mode

Subject: "Selling your d5100" Previous topic | Next topic
fhibbs12 Registered since 27th Dec 2012Fri 04-Jan-13 01:55 PM
5 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
"Selling your d5100"

US

I have a d5100 and a few dx lens sitting gathering dust for a while now. Non are expensive glass.

Is there a market to sell them used anymore or am I just better off holding onto it?

Alert Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic
agitater Gold Member Nikonian since 18th Jan 2007Fri 04-Jan-13 02:01 PM
3958 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#1. "RE: Selling your d5100"
In response to Reply # 0
Fri 04-Jan-13 02:01 PM by agitater

Toronto, CA

There's no cost to list your D5100 it in the I Want to Sell forum or on Kijiji or Craigslist (among other sites). Do it and see if you get a response. If the gear is sitting around gathering dust, that means it's not being used, so what's the point of holding on to any of it?

Sell it all, then use some of the money to buy a Nikonian's membership. Or not.

My Nikonians Gallery

Howard Carson, Managing Editor
Kickstartnews Inc. - http://www.kickstartnews.com

fhibbs12 Registered since 27th Dec 2012Fri 04-Jan-13 02:03 PM
5 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#2. "RE: Selling your d5100"
In response to Reply # 0

US

I have

The D5100 + kit lens
55-200 DX Vr lens
35mm DX f/1.8g lens

Random accesories including a tripod/remote shutter release/circular polarizer filter/bag/instructional dvd.

I was advertising locally for like 700 but cant get anyone to bite. thats like 500 off of current retail....

Would I have better luck on ebay or something like that?

fhibbs12 Registered since 27th Dec 2012Fri 04-Jan-13 02:04 PM
#3. "RE: Selling your d5100"
In response to Reply # 1

US

Well I tried to last weel. For 700 in local adds. People were acting like i was asking to much for what i listed above.

Should I go lower?

agitater Gold Member Nikonian since 18th Jan 2007Fri 04-Jan-13 02:17 PM
3958 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#4. "RE: Selling your d5100"
In response to Reply # 2

Toronto, CA

Neither I nor anybody else on Nikonians should advise you on specifically how much you should ask for your used gear. Its value is dictated entirely by the marketplace in which you're listing it for sale. About the best course of action is to note how much money other private, individual sellers are getting for the same gear and price your items accordingly. That's a guideline, not a rule.

eBay advice is even more useless than pricing advice. eBay is alternately rife with crooks and fair buyers & sellers and idiots and intelligent buyers and so on - a vast marketplace.

If you're asking for advice on how to get the most money, I'd say sell locally to avoid shipping costs, sell locally for cash to avoid PayPal fees, sell locally through Kijiji (if a local Kijiji listing is available where you live) to aboid listing fees typical of eBay. Sell locally to avoid potential problems that can occur with an international buyer who complains when your shipment to his country is flagged for customs fees, brokerage fees and local taxes. Sell locally to avoid the need for shipping insurance costs and the related possibility that shipping anything comes with a risk (albeit very low) that a shipment can be lost.

My Nikonians Gallery

Howard Carson, Managing Editor
Kickstartnews Inc. - http://www.kickstartnews.com

fhibbs12 Registered since 27th Dec 2012Fri 04-Jan-13 02:24 PM
#5. "RE: Selling your d5100"
In response to Reply # 4

US

Thank you for the remarks.

I wasn't necessarily asking for a $$ amount. I was more looking to if there was even a used market for the d5100 series camera. I usually never sell things I grow out of and just give to people who need. But the price point in which I paid for the stuff is to high to just hand off.

Thanks again!

Frank

Toby01 Silver Member Nikonian since 19th Nov 2012Fri 04-Jan-13 06:01 PM
229 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#6. "RE: Selling your d5100"
In response to Reply # 5

El Sobrante, US

Hi, Frank.

Have you checked with KEH.COM or one of the other big outfits that buy used cameras? They seem to offer about half of what you could get selling the items yourself, but that might give you a guideline on your gear. I'm looking at possibly buying a used D5100 to see whether I like that size form factor, but I don't plan on spending more than about $300. Right now, there is one on Nikonians that the seller has listed for $350, so that may be another indicator you can use in pricing your stuff. With the D5200 right around the corner, I expect the prices for older models to keep falling over the next few months. I now use a D90 and was going to sell my old D80 until I discovered that it had almost no value on the used market. I'll be giving the D80 to one of my friends or relatives.

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

Pipewelder Registered since 09th Jan 2013Wed 09-Jan-13 09:23 PM
89 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#7. "RE: Selling your d5100"
In response to Reply # 6

Iuka, US

I'm new here but have been looking at 5100s at various places. Ebay, Craigslist, and searching papers. Most if the prices for what I want exceeded what I found at an online resource with refurb cameras with a factory warranty.

Was hoping to find a nice demo or clearance at a actual store but no luck.

pjonesCET Gold Member Nikonian since 11th Jul 2011Thu 10-Jan-13 02:32 PM
543 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to send message via AOL IM
#8. "RE: Selling your d5100"
In response to Reply # 0

Martinsville, US

What type Glass do you have could you list it somewhere.
If not too expensive if you have a Macro lens I might be interested. or a wide angle wider than a 35mm (28, 24) I might be interested. Just Bought a 3200 to replace my 3000 and now have two 18-55MM lens.

Phillip M Jones, CET
pjonescet@comcast.net
http://www.phillipmjones.net/

https://www.flickr.com/photos/pjonescet/

Forums Lobby GET TO KNOW YOUR CAMERA & MASTER IT Nikon D5300/D5200/D5100/D5000/D3300/D3200/D3100/D3000 (Public) topic #7362 Previous topic | Next topic

Take the Nikonians Tour and learn more about being a Nikonian Wiki /FAQ /Help Listen to our MP3 photography radio channels Find anything on Nikon and imaging technology - fast!

Copyright © Nikonians 2000, 2014
All Rights Reserved

Nikonians®, NikoScope® and NikoniansAcademy™ are trademarks owned by Nikonians.org.
Nikon®, Nikonos® and Nikkor® are registered trademarks of Nikon Corporation.