Go to a  "printer friendly" view of this message which allow an easy print Printer-friendly copy Go to the page which allows you to send this topic link and a message to a friend Email this topic to a friend
Forums Lobby GET TO KNOW YOUR CAMERA & MASTER IT Nikon D5300/D5200/D5100/D5000/D3300/D3200/D3100/D3000 (Public) topic #6868
View in threaded mode

Subject: "How to cope with D3100 too heavy with Micro Nikkor Vr" Previous topic | Next topic
decarrion Silver Member Nikonian since 12th Feb 2009Fri 12-Oct-12 09:12 AM
79 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
"How to cope with D3100 too heavy with Micro Nikkor Vr"

nijkerk, NL

Dear all, A friend of mine is into serious macro work and considers to buy the Micro Nikkor 105mm. However due to physical set backs it might be too heavy to carry around and handle the combination. Have any of you a good idea to overcome this.
Thank you !!

“There is only you and your camera. The limitations in your photography are in yourself, for what we see is what we are.”

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

Alert Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic
Lolrogge Silver Member Nikonian since 13th Apr 2012Fri 12-Oct-12 02:09 PM
275 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#1. "RE: How to cope with D3100 too heavy with Micro Nikkor Vr"
In response to Reply # 0

Ayden, US

Has your friend considered the 85mm micro Nikkor VR. It is slower at f3.5, but I understand it is smaller and lighter.

Laverne

decarrion Silver Member Nikonian since 12th Feb 2009Fri 12-Oct-12 02:13 PM
79 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#2. "RE: How to cope with D3100 too heavy with Micro Nikkor Vr"
In response to Reply # 1

nijkerk, NL

No she goes for the real option
we're thinking now on a grip adding more weight but better handling...who knows
thank you

“There is only you and your camera. The limitations in your photography are in yourself, for what we see is what we are.”

MEMcD Moderator In depth knowledge in various areas Nikonian since 24th Dec 2007Fri 12-Oct-12 07:06 PM
25648 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#3. "RE: How to cope with D3100 too heavy with Micro Nikkor Vr"
In response to Reply # 2

US

Hi Pieter,

>No she goes for the real option

I am not sure what you mean! Keep in mind that All of the Nikkor and even the third party brands (Zeiss, Sigma, Tamron, and Tokina) are optically excellent or better.
The Nikkor 85mm f/3.5G ED AF-S VR DX Micro is less expensive than the 105mm VR in part because it is a DX lens, the Elements are much smaller and lighter and therefore less expensive.

>we're thinking now on a grip adding more weight but better
>handling...who knows

Keep in mind that when shooting at Macro distances a good tripod is extremely important since the DOF is paper thin even when the lens is fully stopped down.
The tripod will also carry the weight of the camera and lens making a third party grip less than useful.
Your friend might find focusing rails a more useful tool.
Good Luck and Enjoy your Nikons!

Best Regards,
Marty

Forums Lobby GET TO KNOW YOUR CAMERA & MASTER IT Nikon D5300/D5200/D5100/D5000/D3300/D3200/D3100/D3000 (Public) topic #6868 Previous topic | Next topic

Take the Nikonians Tour and learn more about being a Nikonian Wiki /FAQ /Help Listen to our MP3 photography radio channels Find anything on Nikon and imaging technology - fast!

Copyright © Nikonians 2000, 2014
All Rights Reserved

Nikonians®, NikoScope® and NikoniansAcademy™ are trademarks owned by Nikonians.org.
Nikon®, Nikonos® and Nikkor® are registered trademarks of Nikon Corporation.