nikonians

Even though we ARE Nikon lovers,we are NOT affiliated with Nikon Corp. in any way.

| |
Go to a  "printer friendly" view of this message which allow an easy print Printer-friendly copy Go to the page which allows you to send this topic link and a message to a friend Email this topic to a friend
Forums Lobby GET TO KNOW YOUR CAMERA & MASTER IT Nikon D5300/D5200/D5100/D5000/D3300/D3200/D3100/D3000 (Public) topic #6107
View in threaded mode

Subject: "Are you happy with your D3200?" Previous topic | Next topic
drmanubmengi Silver Member Nikonian since 14th May 2012Thu 07-Jun-12 09:57 AM
299 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
"Are you happy with your D3200?"
Thu 07-Jun-12 10:35 AM by drmanubmengi

IN

Hi all,

Finally i got my D3200 with 18-105 mm kit lens.
Little disappointed with it in few aspects & first look. (Had D70 earlier).

1. Smaller in size.
2. No Sub Command Dial. (was so used to sub command dial in my d70 that without taking my eye off i used to use it).
3. No top LCD display.
4. Constant "on" feature of the LCD display is REALLY VERY VERY IRRITATING while one is composing the photo especially at the night time.
5. No self timer with multiple exposures feature with the remote.
6. No DOF Button.

More reviews, help & comments are welcome.

Dr. Manu Mengi
Loves Photography & Nikon

Alert Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic
coolmom42 Silver Member Awarded for her enthusiastic support of the community and exemplifying the Nikonian mission “Share, Learn and Inspire” Nikonian since 01st Dec 2011Thu 07-Jun-12 01:34 PM
3098 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#1. "RE: Are you happy with your D3200?"
In response to Reply # 0

McEwen, US

Sounds like you didn't read the specifications or descriptions very thoroughly before you bought it.

You can turn the LCD off somewhere in the menus.

Be sure to download the FULL users guide from the Nikon web site. If it's like my D3100, the one that came with it is a very abbreviated version.

working on it in Middle TN
Nikon D3100

35 mm 1.8 Nikkor
18-55 mm Nikkor VR
55-200 mm Nikkor VR
55-300 mm Nikkor VR
150-500 mm Sigma OS
Feisol CT3471 & Markins M20 ballhead

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

Leonard62 Gold Member Awarded for excellent contributions and sharing his in-depth knowledge and experience with the community, especially of Nikkor Lenses Writer Ribbon awarded for his contributions to the Nikonians Resources articles library Nikonian since 15th Mar 2009Thu 07-Jun-12 01:58 PM
3420 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#2. "RE: Are you happy with your D3200?"
In response to Reply # 0

Hatboro, Pa, US

Coolmom42 is quite correct. Why did you buy the D3200? It sounds like you should have bought the D7000. I bought the D3200 for a very specific purpose which it does very well. The six features you mention don't bother me at all, actually I never even thought about them. But again the D3200 is not my main camera body.

Len

aolander Silver Member Nikonian since 15th Sep 2006Thu 07-Jun-12 02:13 PM
3359 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#3. "RE: Are you happy with your D3200?"
In response to Reply # 0

Nevis, US

The monitor time-out can be set in the Setup menu under "Auto off timers".

You should have purchased a D7000 if you wanted the features you're missing now.

Alan

drmanubmengi Silver Member Nikonian since 14th May 2012Thu 07-Jun-12 02:19 PM
299 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#4. "RE: Are you happy with your D3200?"
In response to Reply # 1

IN

No No No.

It's not that i did not read the specifications well enough.
I read everything.

What i mean to say is that i miss these features from my older D70.
And yes i could have bought D7000 but i did not have that kind of funds as of now.

Don't get me wrong about my purchasing the D3200.

Dr. Manu Mengi

Leonard62 Gold Member Awarded for excellent contributions and sharing his in-depth knowledge and experience with the community, especially of Nikkor Lenses Writer Ribbon awarded for his contributions to the Nikonians Resources articles library Nikonian since 15th Mar 2009Thu 07-Jun-12 02:39 PM
3420 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#5. "RE: Are you happy with your D3200?"
In response to Reply # 4

Hatboro, Pa, US

I think as you start using the D3200 and start seeing the high resolution images it can produce you'll soon forget the features you miss now. It is certainly an impressive upgrade to the D70.

Even without setting the timeout of the display, it turns off whenever you press the shutter halfway for focusing. I never gave it a second thought.

Just start using it. I know you will enjoy it.

Len

mfaccone Silver Member Nikonian since 28th Apr 2008Thu 07-Jun-12 06:41 PM
429 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#6. "RE: Are you happy with your D3200?"
In response to Reply # 0

Bend, US

I'm very happy with mine... and I have a d300s.
I use the d3200 more.
I had a d7000 and didn't like it.. I might have gotten a lemon though.
Its all how you use the features available I guess. The only complaint I have heard about this camera is the inability to bracket. I'd also like to have a commander mode for the flash... but then its an entry level camera with a pro sensor.

Mark

drmanubmengi Silver Member Nikonian since 14th May 2012Fri 08-Jun-12 09:58 AM
#7. "RE: Are you happy with your D3200?"
In response to Reply # 0

IN

One more thing which i have noticed is that the sound of shutter release is not crisp as it is in D70.
Again my observation.

Dr. Manu Mengi

mfaccone Silver Member Nikonian since 28th Apr 2008Sat 09-Jun-12 05:46 AM
429 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#8. "RE: Are you happy with your D3200?"
In response to Reply # 7

Bend, US

Sounds like you really need to go with a d7000 or keep your d70.
Keep in mind... the d3200 is designed as an entry level camera.
It doesn't need all the whistles. I got it for the sensor... all else can be manipulated in the menu. Its all about focus, white balance, shutter speed, aperture, exposure compensation, ISO, picture control, and photo composition anyway. You get all those right, even an old brownie produces quality.

Mark

martininnes Basic MemberFri 22-Jun-12 10:17 PM
5 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#9. "RE: Are you happy with your D3200?"
In response to Reply # 0

Aylesbury, UK

Ish -
Replaced a D90.
But - I am not a Pro or anywhere near that level.
The D3200 is simplish! but enables a degree of basic settings for a snapper such as me and the missus.

For us -
D90 was huge and heavy
SB900 was huge

Now - D3200 and SB 400 - Sweet. Wife friendly and I can use most(ish) of my Lenses.

Bottom line - we will use it.
As against thinking - "can we bothered to take it all to a family do" or "take the Sony pocket snapper"?

We love the D3200 with it's limitations and the SB 400Flash. Its still a little large - we don't want to be seen as Pros - but hey ho.

Bottom line -
Best thing ever -
D3200
18-55 Lens
50 - 200 Lens
50-500 Sigma

I am easily pleased - and the missus is happy to have a go now that we are both retired.
Martin

jpFoto Registered since 25th Jun 2010Sat 23-Jun-12 01:03 AM
1114 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#10. "RE: Are you happy with your D3200?"
In response to Reply # 0
Sat 23-Jun-12 08:54 AM by jpFoto

US

The answer is a resounding, "YES!"

I've had mine for just shy of two months now and have made it a point to use it almost exclusively during that time since I intend to take it and use it as my only camera on a trip to Europe this summer. I wanted to get to know the camera, and the more I use it the more I like it. It's small in size compared to what I have been used to, but it is not small in capabilities. Unlike some users, I find the size and ergomonics very pleasing, whereas some find the size too small for their hands. Most importantly, I am absolutely amazed every time that I download my photos. The IQ and color depth are phenomenal.

I guess that my comments would be:

1. Although I think that the kit lens, the 18-55, is a great lens and very sharp, I have spent a lot of money on a Nikkor 10-24 and a 24-120 F:4 which will be the lenses for my trip, so this may be apples and oranges if you are only buying the kit lens, but once again, the 18-55 is a terrific lens for the price and you will not be disappointed with the results

2. Nikon did dumb down the camera a bit so that you can't use auto bracketing. I don't do HDR so this was not a negative for me and since I know how to bracket without an automatic feature, it wouldn't matter anyway. If you are into automatic HDR then this may not be the camera for you. They also have limited RAW to 12 bit compressed, but once again, that is not really a big deal. How many of your shots do you really need to post process as 14 bit uncompressed?

The long and short.

I commend Nikon for putting a really high resolution camera within the reach of entry level players.

The D3200 can do just about anything if not more than some of the prosumer and pro bodies can do. But as we all know, it's not the bow and arrow, but rather the archer. Put this one into the hands of even the most mediocre archer and you are going to see some terrific results. Hopefully, that will happen to me this summer.

jP

Edit: Here is a sample taken with the Nikkor 10-24 at 10mm; ISO 200; 1/800; f:3.5:

Full Frame:

200% Crop

Attachment #1, (jpg file)
Attachment #2, (jpg file)

pjonesCET Gold Member Donor Ribbon awarded for his support to the Fundraising Campaign 2014 Nikonian since 11th Jul 2011Sat 23-Jun-12 04:57 PM
615 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to send message via AOL IM
#11. "RE: Are you happy with your D3200?"
In response to Reply # 10
Sat 23-Jun-12 04:57 PM by pjonesCET

Martinsville, US

wow what great pictures!

makes me wish I could get D3200 kit without the lens since I already spent money on the 55-200 f/5.6 and the 35mm f/1.8 out of pocket (came with the 18-55mm f/5.6 lens came with it). I also purchased an additional Battery

All of that would be wasted money. I bought the entire setup again.

Phillip M Jones, CET
pjonescet@comcast.net
http://www.phillipmjones.net/

https://www.flickr.com/photos/pjonescet/
http://www.phillipjones-cet.net

jpFoto Registered since 25th Jun 2010Sat 23-Jun-12 10:51 PM
1114 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#12. "RE: Are you happy with your D3200?"
In response to Reply # 11

US

Thanks Phil.

I want you to know that a few weeks ago that I visited your linked website and that I was duly impressed at how nicely you have documented your family tree. I don't think that I could ever do that.

jP

Bill M Registered since 17th May 2012Sun 24-Jun-12 01:27 AM
2 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#13. "RE: Are you happy with your D3200?"
In response to Reply # 0

Cambridge, US

The constant on LCD display can be turned off by pressing the top "info" button (one or two times depending on the menu display)and does not come on while you are focusing and shooting.

pjonesCET Gold Member Donor Ribbon awarded for his support to the Fundraising Campaign 2014 Nikonian since 11th Jul 2011Sun 24-Jun-12 04:01 PM
615 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to send message via AOL IM
#14. "RE: Are you happy with your D3200?"
In response to Reply # 12

Martinsville, US

Thanks I would like to go to My dad's family Cemetery and take with my Nikon camera (D3000 currently - although I would love to upgrade to the 3200) put that on my Website then create a Page with Jones Cemetery. Eventually find Simmons, and Harris cemeteries.

Phillip M Jones, CET
pjonescet@comcast.net

drmanubmengi Silver Member Nikonian since 14th May 2012Sun 24-Jun-12 06:28 PM
#15. "RE: Are you happy with your D3200?"
In response to Reply # 13

IN

Hi Bill,

I tried what you told me, did not help.

Dr. Manu Mengi

Bill M Registered since 17th May 2012Wed 04-Jul-12 02:50 AM
2 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#16. "RE: Are you happy with your D3200?"
In response to Reply # 15
Wed 04-Jul-12 02:53 AM by Bill M

Cambridge, US

Sorry. You may have to press the top info button twice. Also, I turned off "image review" in the first menu bank which when on would normally display a photo on the rear screen right after taking a picture and the screen stays off. Is this what is happening for you?

John Bertotti Gold Member Nikonian since 01st Jul 2012Wed 04-Jul-12 12:09 PM
760 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#17. "RE: Are you happy with your D3200?"
In response to Reply # 0

Garretson, US

My LCD shuts off around 4 seconds my auto timers off is set to normal but there are four choices, short, normal, long, and custom. When I press the shutter button half in the LCD comes back on.

bilbert Registered since 18th May 2012Fri 13-Jul-12 03:02 PM
1 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#18. "RE: Are you happy with your D3200?"
In response to Reply # 0

US

Yes, insanely so!!

I bought a Nikon CoolPix 9500 around 13 years ago for $1,000, and was just not happy with it, being a long time SLR film person with a nice darkroom.

I switched to small $150 (disposable) cameras and have been using them up until 2 months ago, when I heard about the D3200. I purchased one after seeing some pics from my brother in law's D800, and could not be happier!!

Does it do everthing? No, but Nikon would decimate higher end offerings if they gave the D3200 more features. The 3200 takes ridiculously good images at the price. I like mine so well that I bought the 18-200 Nikon lens (which cost more than the D3200 with the "kit" lens!), and the combo is a killer!!

I like it so much, that I scuttled my plans of selling the D3200 when the D600 comes out. I'll buy the D600 all right, but I'm never selling the 3200!

My suggestion is to learn the camera (agreed the "manual" that comes with it is for total newbies - open the PDF that comes on the disk with the camera, and give yourself plenty of time!), and go out and shoot, shoot, shoot! - don't get caught up on features, just enjoy the incredible images the 3200 can generate - isn't that what photography is about??

Bill

John Bertotti Gold Member Nikonian since 01st Jul 2012Sun 15-Jul-12 04:48 PM
760 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#19. "RE: Are you happy with your D3200?"
In response to Reply # 18

Garretson, US

You know, and this might be because this is my first dslr, I think a couple extra programmable function buttons would be nice, I don't miss them. It is quick to run through the display to tweak things. I would love to have a D800 because it is full frame but truly I can't imagine why I would ever get rid of it. I have only had a few cameras better and they were all film cameras. This D3200 is incredible! I had considered selling off my collection of film cameras to help buy the D800 but now I have no desire to go through with it. I would, however, gladly get rid of guide more for bracketing.

nitewulf Silver Member Nikonian since 12th Aug 2009Wed 25-Jul-12 10:01 PM
1 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#20. "RE: Are you happy with your D3200?"
In response to Reply # 19

Sterling, US

I'm extremely happy with mine. I have a D200 and was thinking of buying a D7000 until I read all the posts about the back-focus issues many are having. I decided to buy the D3200 for now and I'm glad I did. I plan to use the D3200 when I have a low-light situation or need a light camera for a day hike.

pistnbroke Registered since 01st Jul 2012Mon 27-Aug-12 12:05 PM
213 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#21. "RE: Are you happy with your D3200?"
In response to Reply # 20

UK

have 2 x D7000 and a D3200 for back up..light cheap ...and if you get a difficult minister its much quieter than the D7000
You can also fit the vertical grip from the D3100 ..third party about $E40 and use a $10 battery with the original in the grip.

John Bertotti Gold Member Nikonian since 01st Jul 2012Mon 27-Aug-12 12:42 PM
#22. "RE: Are you happy with your D3200?"
In response to Reply # 21

Garretson, US

A 3100 verticals grip will work with the 3200? Do you have a picture of the 3200 with it mounted? Are you using it yourself?

pistnbroke Registered since 01st Jul 2012Mon 27-Aug-12 01:00 PM
213 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#23. "RE: Are you happy with your D3200?"
In response to Reply # 22
Mon 27-Aug-12 01:06 PM by pistnbroke

UK

yes I have the D5100 grip on my D3200 and its a 98% good fit But the D3100 is a better fit ...you can use the cheap batteries for the P7000 at $10 provided you put in the original and then always keep one battery in it ..how do you post photos on this site ..??

See here http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Brand-New-Meike-DSLR-Vertical-Camera-Battery-Hand-Grip-for-Nikon-D3100-D3200-/350574565160?pt=UK_Camera_Battery_Grips&hash=item519fdf5728

see here battery http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Rechargeable-Li-Ion-Battery-for-Nikon-EN-EL14-ENEL14-P7000-UK-/320950775579?pt=UK_Camera_Batteries&hash=item4aba282f1b

stevenchadg72 Registered since 22nd Dec 2012Sun 23-Dec-12 12:58 AM
4 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#24. "RE: Are you happy with your D3200?"
In response to Reply # 0

US

i love mine i use prime lens mostly and one sigma 2.8 zooom the only issue i have with it or with any basic camera is that the viewfinder isnt 100% just 95% like to see all cameras with 100% view finder and the 11 focus points (including one cross-type sensor), i like to have 12 focus point with 2 cross type sensor but it is what it is and i have no problems with it as it is now but it could be just a little bit better in the view finder

pjonesCET Gold Member Donor Ribbon awarded for his support to the Fundraising Campaign 2014 Nikonian since 11th Jul 2011Sun 23-Dec-12 09:59 PM
#25. "RE: Are you happy with your D3200?"
In response to Reply # 8

Martinsville, US

Side note that has nothing to do with the comment at hand.

My Mother is 88 and still has the Brownie Camera she received as a Prize when she was going to elementary school. (she was about 11 or 12.) for selling garden seed. The leather strap that you put you hand in to help steady the camera is Dry rotted and broken. But everything else is in Great Condition. When 220 film (B&W) was still in existence about 20 years ago I bought some film and Tried it out it made great photos.

I've been tempted to make a few shots on my D3000 in B&W mode to see what it would look like.

Phillip M Jones, CET
pjonescet@comcast.net

nnikonk Silver Member Nikonian since 19th Nov 2012Fri 28-Dec-12 01:43 PM
21 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#26. "RE: Are you happy with your D3200?"
In response to Reply # 0

Edinburgh, UK

I like my D3200 very much.
I bought it as a little brother to the D800. I have the kit lenses but also got the 35mm f1.8 DX and it works beautifully with that as a sort of compact camera. You can take it just about anywhere it is so small and light. And with the 35mm lens you can zoom with your feet or crop into the 24 megapixels as the quality is so good.

Funfinder Registered since 08th Jan 2013Thu 10-Jan-13 05:11 PM
#27. "RE: Are you happy with your D3200?"
In response to Reply # 0

Corvallis, US

I've had my D3200 for about 2 wks now and so far I am pleased with the shots I have taken. And those have been in some very cloudy and overcast skies, as we have not had much sun lately. I am still learning my way around the camera and experimenting with the different settings, so it is a hit and miss endeavor. But it is a learning experience and that is half the fun, and I look forward to getting better shots out of the camera and out of me. BTW, my camera before this was a Canon SX50 (long zoom) but I was very disappointed with the results.

pjonesCET Gold Member Donor Ribbon awarded for his support to the Fundraising Campaign 2014 Nikonian since 11th Jul 2011Fri 11-Jan-13 10:41 PM
#28. "RE: Are you happy with your D3200?"
In response to Reply # 27
Sun 13-Jan-13 03:19 AM by pjonesCET

Martinsville, US

I've just had mine for a few days. And like it. Except I don't like the change they made to the info display (that shows the image of the camera aperture opening and closing).

In my 3000 the camera immediately returns to this display as soon as Picture is taken and the picture review disappears.

In the 3200 it shows up when Camera is first turned on. but once picture is taken you met with a Black screen. For it to show up again you have to punch Info button, but it doesn't stay on long enough to make camera adjustments.

I am updating this comment rather than tacking on another comment.

I went into set up and set auto timer to long and now the info displays long enough to set up controls. Still blanks out eventually. So its an almost acceptable workaround.

Phillip M Jones, CET
pjonescet@comcast.net

Forums Lobby GET TO KNOW YOUR CAMERA & MASTER IT Nikon D5300/D5200/D5100/D5000/D3300/D3200/D3100/D3000 (Public) topic #6107 Previous topic | Next topic