nikonians

Even though we ARE Nikon lovers,we are NOT affiliated with Nikon Corp. in any way.

| |

Home Forums Articles Galleries News Workshops Shop Recommended
members
All members Wiki Contests Vouchers Apps Newsletter THE NIKONIAN™ Magazines Podcasts Fundraising
Go to a  "printer friendly" view of this message which allow an easy print Print Go to the page which allows you to send this topic link and a message to a friend Email this topic to a friend
Forums Lobby MASTER YOUR NIKON CAMERA Nikon D5000/D3000 series (Public) topic #3913
View in threaded mode

Subject: "will a 3100 camera mount break if..." Previous topic | Next topic
k12123   US  Registered since 27th Jun 2011 Mon 27-Jun-11 01:12 AM
9 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
"will a 3100 camera mount break if..."
Mon 27-Jun-11 01:17 AM by k12123

I bought a 17-55mm F/2.8 and use it with my d3100. The camera body's weight is 1.7lb and the lens' weight is about the same, at 1.7lb. I was wondering if it would damage the camera or the mount if I hold the camera body instead of the lens. Thanks!

Alert Print | Reply | Quote | Top

Replies to this topic
jpFoto   US  Registered since 25th Jun 2010 Mon 27-Jun-11 01:37 AM
1114 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#1. "RE: will a 3100 camera mount break if..."
In response to Reply # 0
Mon 27-Jun-11 01:43 AM by jpFoto

Hi Kevin

No, you don't have to worry about it at all. I've hung my 70-200 on my D3100 and them mounted it on my tripod with the camera body on the tripod mount without a problem. It probably would have been better if I had used the tripod foot and mounted the lens on the tri-pod attached to the lens foot, but it is definitely not a necessity.

jP

blw Moderator Awarded for his high level of expertise in various areas   Richmond, US  Nikonian since 18th Jun 2004 Mon 27-Jun-11 02:59 AM
26996 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to send message via AOL IM
#2. "RE: will a 3100 camera mount break if..."
In response to Reply # 0

Definitely not problem. That lens mount is a lot tougher than you'd think.

_____
Brian... a bicoastal Nikonian and Team Member

My gallery is online. Comments and critique welcomed any time!

MEMcD Moderator In depth knowledge in various areas   US  Nikonian since 24th Dec 2007 Mon 27-Jun-11 03:13 AM
27433 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#3. "RE: will a 3100 camera mount break if..."
In response to Reply # 0

Hi Kevin,

Welcome to Nikonians!
No!
The Nikon F mount is quite robust.
Good Luck and Enjoy your Nikons!

Best Regards,
Marty

k12123   US  Registered since 27th Jun 2011 Mon 27-Jun-11 04:39 AM
9 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#4. "RE: will a 3100 camera mount break if..."
In response to Reply # 3

Wow! Thanks for all the replies guys. I expected a few sarcasm like in other forums, but ppl here seems a lot nicer haha! Anyway it's nice to be here! Thanks again! =)

edt_nz Gold Member  Auckland, NZ  Nikonian since 31st Dec 2008 Mon 11-Jul-11 11:15 AM
29 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#5. "RE: will a 3100 camera mount break if..."
In response to Reply # 0

You can get some good low light shots with that combination.

I took the following one over the weekend:
http://images.nikonians.org/galleries/showphoto.php/photo/327243

There are more in the Gallery.

Cheers
--et

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

Forums Lobby MASTER YOUR NIKON CAMERA Nikon D5000/D3000 series (Public) topic #3913 Previous topic | Next topic