Go to a  "printer friendly" view of this message which allow an easy print Printer-friendly copy Go to the page which allows you to send this topic link and a message to a friend Email this topic to a friend
Forums Lobby GET TO KNOW YOUR CAMERA & MASTER IT Nikon D5300/D5200/D5100/D5000/D3300/D3200/D3100/D3000 (Public) topic #3678
View in threaded mode

Subject: "D5100 Custom Firmware? (manual exposure/ISO video mode..." Previous topic | Next topic
baltimorecaesar Registered since 20th May 2011Fri 20-May-11 03:45 PM
3 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
"D5100 Custom Firmware? (manual exposure/ISO video mode)"

US

I'm getting back into photography and I'm in the market for my first D-SLR. I have an old 35mm Canon and a Nikon, both broke a long time ago The D5100 is one of my top 3 choices for a camera, and it will be one I will use often for videos as well. I know that the 51k cannot shoot video in full manual mode (auto adjusts ISO), but I have head rumors that you can run custom firmware that will alleviate this issue, much the same way you can put custom ROMs on cell phones. Is there any truth to this, and if so where can I get more info on the process? Thanks in advance.

-Caesar

Alert Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic
gkaiseril Gold Member Nikonian since 28th Oct 2005Fri 20-May-11 04:15 PM
6739 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#1. "RE: D5100 Custom Firmware? (manual exposure/ISO video mode)"
In response to Reply # 0

Chicago, US

I am not aware that anyone has hacked the Nikon dSLR firmware for any model.

The D5100 has a a sensor size of 23.6 × 15.6 mm which is approximately 1/2 of the 35mm media size, 36.0 × 23.9 mm. There is no software change that will logically expand the size of the sensor to the 35mm format or the change the affects of the crop from a 35mm size sensor size to the DX format.

The only dSLRs that have a 35mm size sensor are the D3/D3s/D3x/D700 and of these cameras only the D3s shoots video.

These camera can use the FX lenses, designed for 35mm format, and DX lenses, designed for the DX cropped sensor, and when a DX lens is mounted on one of these cameras, the area of the sensor that records data is reduced to the DX format area so only the image projected from the lens is captured. It is possible with these bodies to force the camera to record the full sensor when a DX lens is attached, but you will only add the image circle of the lens projection that are outside of the DX sensor area and recorded by the FX sensor, but this projection will not fill the FX sensor area. Please look at The DX and FX Formats for an illustration of what is being projected by the lenses and recorded by the sensor.

George
My Nikonian Galleries

baltimorecaesar Registered since 20th May 2011Fri 20-May-11 04:18 PM
3 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#2. "RE: D5100 Custom Firmware? (manual exposure/ISO video mode)"
In response to Reply # 1

US

Umm, what? I think you misread my question

gkaiseril Gold Member Nikonian since 28th Oct 2005Fri 20-May-11 04:36 PM
6739 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#3. "RE: D5100 Custom Firmware? (manual exposure/ISO video mode)"
In response to Reply # 2

Chicago, US

> I have head rumors that you can run custom firmware that will alleviate this issue, much the same way you can put custom ROMs on cell phones.

This is usually done by hacking the firmware unless the manufacturer approves or supplies the resources. Nikon has not. Canon has not. Canon firmware has been modified by others but not approved by Canon. Nikon's firmware appears not to have been hacked by anyone yet. The only exception is the authentication software. The EEProms or flash memory are soldered onto the circuit boards and there is not additional I/O port for any media containing firmware or software.

> Is there any truth to this, and if so where can I get more info on the process? Thanks in advance.

You can use Goggle and see all the discussions about this. Even with knowing the processor used in the D70 and access to the programing references for this processor, it appears no one has decoded or reverse engineered the firmware.

George
My Nikonian Galleries

baltimorecaesar Registered since 20th May 2011Fri 20-May-11 06:40 PM
#4. "RE: D5100 Custom Firmware? (manual exposure/ISO video mode)"
In response to Reply # 3

US

bummer
Looks like I've narrowed down my top 3, to a top 2...
Thanks for the help though

RRRoger Silver Member Fellow Ribbon awarded for his long history of demonstrated excellence and helping other members with equipment, technique and DSLR video in the true Nikonians spirit. Charter MemberSat 21-May-11 01:56 PM
3170 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#5. "RE: D5100 Custom Firmware? (manual exposure/ISO video mode)"
In response to Reply # 4

Monterey Bay, US

I would be one of the first to try the hacked firmware.
But I would prefer to use it on my D7000 to produce HD 30fps video at over 20 minutes per shoot.
Why do you want to shoot in full manual when the Nikon AF is so good?

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

BillS52 Silver Member Nikonian since 22nd Apr 2011Sat 21-May-11 03:29 PM
187 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#6. "RE: D5100 Custom Firmware? (manual exposure/ISO video mode)"
In response to Reply # 5

US

I rustled with the D7000 vs. D5100. My previous camera is a Sony A700 (similar to the Nikon D300), and I own several Minolta Lens.

I picked the D5100 because it's still specs are very close to the D7000 and its a lighter camera.

That was my goal: a lighter camera with good still performance.
I am very, very pleased with the D5100.

I still use my A700, but I find myself picking up the D5100 much more often.

WildIsle Silver Member Nikonian since 06th Jan 2010Tue 30-Aug-11 06:20 PM
593 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#7. "RE: D5100 Custom Firmware? (manual exposure/ISO video mode)"
In response to Reply # 5

CA

>Why do you want to shoot in full manual when the Nikon AF is
>so good?

The issue here is manual EXPOSURE not focus and it does seem to be a serious limitation of the D5100. There are quasi-over-rides using AE-L (Hold) and Exposure Compensation but it's still not full Manual Exposure mode. I'm a bit disappointed to find this out especially as the original Nikon release clearly states the D5100 had full manual control in video

RRRoger Silver Member Fellow Ribbon awarded for his long history of demonstrated excellence and helping other members with equipment, technique and DSLR video in the true Nikonians spirit. Charter MemberSat 03-Sep-11 12:23 AM
3170 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#8. "RE: D5100 Custom Firmware? (manual exposure/ISO video mode)"
In response to Reply # 7

Monterey Bay, US

>
>The issue here is manual EXPOSURE not focus and it does seem
>to be a serious limitation of the D5100.

Why do you want manual exposure when the AE is so good?

Are you trying to create a commercial cinema?

Go to the Nikonians DSLR Video Forum for lots of info, tips, etc.

WildIsle Silver Member Nikonian since 06th Jan 2010Sat 03-Sep-11 07:45 PM
593 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#9. "RE: D5100 Custom Firmware? (manual exposure/ISO video mode)"
In response to Reply # 8

CA

"Why do you want manual exposure when the AE is so good?"

Well to be honest I don't know that I do!
I got caught up in a web-chatter dissing the lack of manual exposure control. But in the past week as I've started to use the D5100 and learn and work with it, I've found it to be a non-issue, at least for my needs! I'm quite pleased with it. It's a nice leap up from my previous backup body (D3000).

RRRoger Silver Member Fellow Ribbon awarded for his long history of demonstrated excellence and helping other members with equipment, technique and DSLR video in the true Nikonians spirit. Charter MemberSat 03-Sep-11 10:24 PM
#10. "RE: D5100 Custom Firmware? (manual exposure/ISO video mode)"
In response to Reply # 9

Monterey Bay, US

Unfortunately technology is ahead of the learning curve.
I think that is why so many skip a generation before upgrading DSLRs.
I will probably just begin to become proficient when I upgrade to the next "latest & greatest".
After all, I can't help myself, I've got NAS.

Forums Lobby GET TO KNOW YOUR CAMERA & MASTER IT Nikon D5300/D5200/D5100/D5000/D3300/D3200/D3100/D3000 (Public) topic #3678 Previous topic | Next topic

Take the Nikonians Tour and learn more about being a Nikonian Wiki /FAQ /Help Listen to our MP3 photography radio channels Find anything on Nikon and imaging technology - fast!

Copyright © Nikonians 2000, 2014
All Rights Reserved

Nikonians®, NikoScope® and NikoniansAcademy™ are trademarks owned by Nikonians.org.
Nikon®, Nikonos® and Nikkor® are registered trademarks of Nikon Corporation.