nikonians

Even though we ARE Nikon lovers,we are NOT affiliated with Nikon Corp. in any way.

| |
Go to a  "printer friendly" view of this message which allow an easy print Printer-friendly copy Go to the page which allows you to send this topic link and a message to a friend Email this topic to a friend
Forums Lobby GET TO KNOW YOUR CAMERA & MASTER IT Nikon D5300/D5200/D5100/D5000/D3300/D3200/D3100/D3000 (Public) topic #361
View in threaded mode

Subject: "anybody heard about Nikon recall d5000?" Previous topic | Next topic
Tamama Registered since 15th Feb 2009Wed 15-Jul-09 08:40 PM
13 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
"anybody heard about Nikon recall d5000?"

US

friends in hk told me they were told to hold the d5000 and not sell them anymore cos nikon made a recall decision worldwide...
i wish nikon is not doing this... so sad... just ask some friends to buy the d5000....... >___<

"A minute for me to enter the world of photography; a life for me to witness God's beauty." --- SC

Alert Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic
thosmm Registered since 12th May 2009Wed 15-Jul-09 09:31 PM
77 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#1. "RE: anybody heard about Nikon recall d5000?"
In response to Reply # 0

Spring Hill, US

I haven't heard anything on this that isn't speculation by someone who's dissatisfied with their D5000; though I've seen a lot more people that are less than pleased with the D5000 and SB-900 than I've seen for any other Nikon products in recent memory.

-TM-

Visit My webpage and gallery..

MEMcD Moderator In depth knowledge in various areas Nikonian since 24th Dec 2007Wed 15-Jul-09 10:11 PM
27047 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#2. "RE: anybody heard about Nikon recall d5000?"
In response to Reply # 0

US

Hi Sherri,

There is nothing listed on Nikon USA's website!
Good Luck and Enjoy your Nikons!

Best Regards,
Marty

jbloom Gold Member Awarded for the continuous and generous sharing of his high level expertise and his always encouraging comments in several forums. Donor Ribbon awarded for his generous support to the Fundraising Campaign 2014 Nikonian since 15th Jul 2004Thu 16-Jul-09 01:50 PM
7129 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#3. "RE: anybody heard about Nikon recall d5000?"
In response to Reply # 0

Wethersfield, US

Probably related to this:

http://www.robgalbraith.com/bins/content_page.asp?cid=7-10041-10178

Presumably, Nikon would prefer to repair existing cameras prior to sale rather than after.

-- Jon
Wethersfield, CT, USA
Connecticut High School Sports Photos

Sojourner4c Registered since 19th Feb 2009Thu 16-Jul-09 02:59 PM
35 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#4. "RE: anybody heard about Nikon recall d5000?"
In response to Reply # 0

US

Here is what nikon says:
"While Nikon takes great measures to assure high quality in its imaging products, it has come to our attention that an electronic component related to power control in some Nikon D5000 digital SLR cameras does not meet factory specifications and may, in certain circumstances, prevent the camera from turning on, thus preventing operation of the camera.

Indications of this issue include:
The camera cannot be operated when the power switch is on, even with a fully-charged battery.
The camera cannot be operated with the EH-5a AC Adapter connected through the EP-5 Power Connector and the power switch on.
The solution:
Nikon has isolated the issues related to this and is effectively resolving them. Preparations are under way at a special Nikon repair facility to streamline the processes associated to the solution and Nikon will be equipped to correct D5000 cameras at this facility, beginning July 23, 2009. Service related to this issue, including the cost of shipping affected D5000 cameras to Nikon, as well as their return to customers, will be free of charge. To further minimize customer inconvenience, Nikon will return serviced cameras to customers promptly, employing (whenever possible) transportation that limits transit time to two days. ...."

You can read the full Advisory from the nikon web site:

http://nikonusa.com/Service-And-Support/Service-Advisories/D5000-Service-Advisory.page

Timothy

Larry E30 Silver Member Donor Ribbon awarded for his generous support to the Fundraising Campaign 2014 Nikonian since 27th May 2009Mon 20-Jul-09 07:32 PM
2604 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#5. "RE: anybody heard about Nikon recall d5000?"
In response to Reply # 4

US

Hi , all ; I'm on my 4th copy from Costco.Copy 1 had the recall problem.(died.)2nd and 3rd copies had dead pixels.This 4th copy is A-OK , but may still be in the recall batch.The 23rd Nikon will let all know what S# need to go back. , Larry

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

Efem Registered since 14th Sep 2004Tue 21-Jul-09 01:04 PM
2250 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#6. "RE: anybody heard about Nikon recall d5000?"
In response to Reply # 0

New York City, US

Thom Hogan has some excellent information (and honest opinions) about the recall on his website. www.bythom.com

jrp Administrator JRP is one of the co-founders, has in-depth knowledge in various areas. Awarded for his contributions for the Resources Charter MemberTue 21-Jul-09 07:27 PM
35271 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#7. "RE: anybody heard about Nikon recall d5000?"
In response to Reply # 0

San Pedro Garza García, MX

Look here
We'll keep it up to date.

Have a great time
JRP (Founder & Administrator. Nikonian at the north-eastern Mexican desert) Gallery, Brief Love Story, The Team
Join the Silver, Gold and Platinum members that help this happen; upgrade. Join your personal web site to the Nikonians WebRing
Make sure you check our workshops at The Nikonians Academy and the product catalog of the Photo Pro Shop

thebeach Registered since 23rd Jul 2009Thu 23-Jul-09 05:46 PM
3 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#8. "RE: anybody heard about Nikon recall d5000?"
In response to Reply # 0

US

I just bought my Nikon D5000 a week ago. I am returning it due to the fact that if falls within the service advisory. I just don't like the idea of a repaired product (especially if it is just a week old).

dougj7 Registered since 04th Jul 2009Fri 24-Jul-09 12:59 AM
1 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#9. "RE: anybody heard about Nikon recall d5000?"
In response to Reply # 8

US

I just sent mine in for repair today. I've only had it since Sunday (July 19). I kind of miss it already. Oh well, back to my Canon for now.

thosmm Registered since 12th May 2009Fri 24-Jul-09 03:51 AM
77 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#10. "RE: anybody heard about Nikon recall d5000?"
In response to Reply # 0

Spring Hill, US

Next question, does anyone have a D5000 that *isn't* subject to the recall?

-TM-

TomCurious Registered since 03rd Jan 2007Wed 12-Aug-09 03:52 AM
2340 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#11. "RE: anybody heard about Nikon recall d5000?"
In response to Reply # 10

Bay Area, US

I bought one today at Costco, as a backup and family/fun kind of camera for when I don't want to lug around the D700. When I got home, I went to Nikon's advisory website and punched in the serial number. It says that my camera is not affected and does not need to be sent in. So apparently the old stock that was subject to the recall has been cleared, at least at the store where I bought it. There was a sticker on the box saying that Costco received it from Nikon on 8/6, so it's pretty recent.

Tom
Bay Area Nikonian

http://www.tkphoto.me/

Covey22 Moderator Expert in various fields including aviation photography Awarded for his contributions to the Resources and The Nikonian eZine Charter MemberWed 12-Aug-09 02:12 PM
10885 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#12. "RE: anybody heard about Nikon recall d5000?"

US

The expectation is that most major retailers (very few - maybe the top 15 in volume) would have their stock replaced by 1st week of August. Berger Brothers, one of our sponsors here, expected to have theirs done by this week if memory serves. Check in the Berger Brothers forum - they're very responsive.

"Toodle-loo from Covey22!"

-Armando
Nikonians Team
Nikonians News - Fresh Everyday!

The Covey Blog!

My Plan:

Get out of the car.
Get closer to the subject.
Pick the right mid-tone this time.

See My Nikonians Gallery

thosmm Registered since 12th May 2009Wed 12-Aug-09 09:10 PM
#13. "RE: anybody heard about Nikon recall d5000?"

Spring Hill, US

My point was that as of July 23, all off the D5000's I knew of were subject to the recall.

Nikon refreshed the vendor stock and is repairing consumer cameras; which is commendable. All of the cameras sold prior to that point appear to have been subject to the recall. That somewhat negates the view that it was a limited recall for a limited number of parts that they had identified by serial number. Instead, it supports the view that it was due to either a massive batch of bad parts or a design/engineering fault.

My camera has gone back and returned. I know that Nikon has 'blessed' my camera. I'm happy with that.

-TM-

Forums Lobby GET TO KNOW YOUR CAMERA & MASTER IT Nikon D5300/D5200/D5100/D5000/D3300/D3200/D3100/D3000 (Public) topic #361 Previous topic | Next topic