nikonians

Even though we ARE Nikon lovers,we are NOT affiliated with Nikon Corp. in any way.

Home Forums Articles Galleries News Workshops Shop Recommended
members
All members Wiki Contests Vouchers Apps Newsletter THE NIKONIAN™ Magazines Podcasts Fundraising

Buy a D5000 display model for $450? Over a brand new D3000?

katerinaivanovna

US
1 posts

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author
katerinaivanovna Registered since 11th Jan 2011
Tue 11-Jan-11 02:16 AM

Hi all,

I just found a D5000 camera at Target--a display model that says "Repackaged" and is going for $455. I didn't consider it at the moment, because I never think of buying a display model, but it is over $200 off after all. I didn't ask if it came with warranty or what it did/did not come with, but I'm thinking of stopping by tomorrow. The fact that it is a display model makes me nervous though. What do you think? Is it worth it if it comes with a warranty? I have a $500 budget, so it will be either the display D5000 (that makes me a bit uneasy) or a brand new D3000. I'm also new to SLRs, so I was originally planning on just going with that, since it seems more user-friendly.

Thank you!! Can't wait to be an official Nikonian in the next few days!

MEMcD

US
28321 posts

#1. "RE: Buy a D5000 display model for $450? Over a brand new D3000?" | In response to Reply # 0

MEMcD Moderator In depth knowledge in various areas Nikonian since 24th Dec 2007
Tue 11-Jan-11 06:08 AM

Hi Katerina,

Welcome to Nikonians!
The abuse the dispay cameras endure at Target and other Big Box stores would make me more than cautious. Since they are out in the open, even children play with and abuse them. I see more camera bodies without lenses in various states of disrepair than working cameras intact. Smuges and scratches on lenses and mirrors, broken mirrors and lens mounts, broken built in Speedlights, etc.....
Even with the full warranty, I would not get it.

If it was a Demo at a camera store where the Demos are kept behind the counter locked in a glass case, I would not be as worried.
Good Luck and Enjoy your Nikons!

Best Regards,
Marty

jpFoto

US
1114 posts

#2. "RE: Buy a D5000 display model for $450? Over a brand new D3000?" | In response to Reply # 0

jpFoto Registered since 25th Jun 2010
Tue 11-Jan-11 07:37 AM

Hi Katerina

I completely agree with Marty, and I would not buy the display model that you're looking at. Cameras today are very delicate, precision instruments and computers, and the display model could very well be seriously damaged by improper handling or intentional abuse.

jP

G