Go to a  "printer friendly" view of this message which allow an easy print Printer-friendly copy Go to the page which allows you to send this topic link and a message to a friend Email this topic to a friend
Forums Lobby GET TO KNOW YOUR CAMERA & MASTER IT Nikon D5300/D5200/D5100/D5000/D3300/D3200/D3100/D3000 (Public) topic #1958
View in threaded mode

Subject: "Directory Structure on D5000" Previous topic | Next topic
Xefe Registered since 09th Jun 2010Wed 09-Jun-10 04:35 PM
1 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
"Directory Structure on D5000"

US

Is it possible to have the d5000 to auto create date directories and save the files in there based of date ? I am pretty sure I saw one of the older nikon dxx's be able to do so.

Also, totally off topic but; Could someone point me in the right direction, I am looking to do some home family portraits with a tripod. Was thinking of having a plain white back drop so that I could photoshop in some backgrounds. So direction to lighting, backdrop selection and general do's dont's would be greatly appreciated.

Alert Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic
MEMcD Moderator In depth knowledge in various areas Nikonian since 24th Dec 2007Wed 09-Jun-10 05:24 PM
25721 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#1. "RE: Directory Structure on D5000"
In response to Reply # 0

US

Hi Scott,

Welcome to Nikonians!
You can by creating a new Active folder (page 152 of the D5000 Users Manual) every day before you capture the first image. If you use this method, be careful when you download the images to your computer that you don't forget to include the images in older (not active) folders on the memory card be checking the root directory and expanding all of the folders on the memory card.
You could also use Custom setting d4 File Number Sequence (page 159 of the D5000 Users Manual) and sort the dates out when you download the images to your computer.
You might ask the question about portrait photography in the Glamour & Portrait, Commercial & Studio Photography forum
Good Luck and Enjoy your Nikons!

Best Regards,
Marty

JosephK Silver Member Fellow Ribbon awarded for his excellent and frequent contributions and sharing his in-depth knowledge and experience with the community in the Nikonians spirit. Nikonian since 17th Apr 2006Thu 10-Jun-10 06:36 AM
4176 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#2. "RE: Directory Structure on D5000"
In response to Reply # 0

Seattle, WA, US

An alternate approach to the in camera directories would be to use a third-party downloader to rename the files and/or directories during the transfer from the memory card to your computer. I am a big fan of Downloader Pro by BreezeSys.com .

Of course, this really depends on the goal you are trying to accomplish.

---------+---------+---------+---------+
Joseph K
Seattle, WA, USA

D200, 17-55mm f/2.8 DX, 70-200mm f/2.8 VR, 50mm f/1.4 D

Forums Lobby GET TO KNOW YOUR CAMERA & MASTER IT Nikon D5300/D5200/D5100/D5000/D3300/D3200/D3100/D3000 (Public) topic #1958 Previous topic | Next topic

Take the Nikonians Tour and learn more about being a Nikonian Wiki /FAQ /Help Listen to our MP3 photography radio channels Find anything on Nikon and imaging technology - fast!

Copyright © Nikonians 2000, 2014
All Rights Reserved

Nikonians®, NikoScope® and NikoniansAcademy™ are trademarks owned by Nikonians.org.
Nikon®, Nikonos® and Nikkor® are registered trademarks of Nikon Corporation.