Go to a  "printer friendly" view of this message which allow an easy print Printer-friendly copy Go to the page which allows you to send this topic link and a message to a friend Email this topic to a friend
Forums Lobby GET TO KNOW YOUR CAMERA & MASTER IT Nikon D5300/D5200/D5100/D5000/D3300/D3200/D3100/D3000 (Public) topic #1121
View in threaded mode

Subject: "2x teleconverter for D5000" Previous topic | Next topic
slooky Registered since 03rd Jan 2010Sun 03-Jan-10 10:33 AM
1 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
"2x teleconverter for D5000"

CA

I am looking at getting a 2x telecoverter for my d5000
what should i be looking for and what are my options
I have a Nikon dx 55-200 so i was looking to get more zoom for my bang
Do they make 3x converters?

Alert Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic
MEMcD Moderator In depth knowledge in various areas Nikonian since 24th Dec 2007Sun 03-Jan-10 11:00 AM
26103 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#1. "RE: 2x teleconverter for D5000"
In response to Reply # 0

US

Hi Kevin,

Welcome to Nikonians!
The Nikkor 55-200mm was never designed to be used with any Teleconverter. None of the Nikkor TC's will even mount on it.
The only 2X TC that might work is a Kenko 300 Series TC.
Since the 55-200mm is f/5.6 at 200mm if you mount a 2X TC on it you will get a 400mm f/11 lens. If the AF works at all it will only work in bright sunlight and will be much slower to focus. In anything other than bright sunlight, AF will not work at all, and using Manual focus will be difficult at best because the viewfinder will be very dark. Aside from the focusing issues the degredation of Image Quality (IQ) will be very significant.
Kenko does make a 3X TC but it will be useless on your lens.
You would be better served saving for a Nikkor 70-300mm f/4.5-5.6G ED ($550.00) IF AF-S VR or a Sigma: 120-400mm f/4.5-5.6 DG OS APO HSM or 150-500mm f5-6.3 DG OS APO HSM (approx. $1000.00 range).
Good Luck and Enjoy your Nikons!

Best Regards,
Marty

blw Moderator Awarded for his high level of expertise in various areas Nikonian since 18th Jun 2004Sun 03-Jan-10 03:02 PM
26716 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to send message via AOL IM
#2. "RE: 2x teleconverter for D5000"
In response to Reply # 1

Richmond, US

The 3x TC performs very poorly on even the best lenses, to the degree that I'm surprised they continue to offer it. On your lens it would make a 600mm f/16 lens. Not only would the actual optics be poor, but even worse you can't avoid further degradation due to diffraction. At f/16 you can't even see to focus unless it's high noon, or your subjects are melting under artificial light.

In addition to the lenses that Marty mentioned, you might also consider the Sigma 70-300/f4-5.6 APO Macro at about $220. Just be sure that you get the latest model with built-in focusing motor. Avoid the similar Sigma DL Macro at about $130.

_____
Brian... a bicoastal Nikonian and Team Member

My gallery is online. Comments and critique welcomed any time!

Asgard Administrator He is your Chief Guardian Angel at the Helpdesk and knows a lot about a lot Nikonian since 07th Apr 2004Sun 03-Jan-10 03:28 PM
51178 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#3. "RE: 2x teleconverter for D5000"
In response to Reply # 0
Sun 03-Jan-10 03:29 PM by Asgard

East Frisia, DE

Kevin,

you may also check out this chart.

But as mentioned here and in the manual of your 55-200, the 55-200 is not designed to be used with a teleconverter.

Gerold - Nikonian in East Frisia
Eala Freya Fresena

bigfeet Registered since 02nd Apr 2010Fri 02-Apr-10 11:21 PM
25 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#4. "RE: 2x teleconverter for D5000"
In response to Reply # 3

US

my advice for whats it worth is the same as the others. MY 2x converter sits in my bag never used.

thats one of those ideas that seems great, should work and makes tons of sense, but just doesn't deliver.

Forums Lobby GET TO KNOW YOUR CAMERA & MASTER IT Nikon D5300/D5200/D5100/D5000/D3300/D3200/D3100/D3000 (Public) topic #1121 Previous topic | Next topic

Take the Nikonians Tour and learn more about being a Nikonian Wiki /FAQ /Help Listen to our MP3 photography radio channels Find anything on Nikon and imaging technology - fast!

Copyright © Nikonians 2000, 2014
All Rights Reserved

Nikonians®, NikoScope® and NikoniansAcademy™ are trademarks owned by Nikonians.org.
Nikon®, Nikonos® and Nikkor® are registered trademarks of Nikon Corporation.