New webinar coming up: Best of Nikonians annual review, 28-MAR-2024 4PM EST (for all members on Silver level and higher) >>> More info

X

Home Forums Articles Galleries Members Galleries Master Your Vision Galleries 5Contest Categories 5Winners Galleries 5ANPAT Galleries 5 The Winners Editor's Choice Portfolios Recent Photos Search Contest Info Help News Newsletter Join us Renew Membership About us Retrieve password Contact us Contests Vouchers Wiki Apps THE NIKONIAN™ For the press Fundraising Search Help!
More5

Selling Nikkor 70-200 f2.8 VRII Mint in box - SOLD

Timbo1961

Is from: Pickering, ON, CA
60 posts

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author
Timbo1961 Registered since 08th Oct 2008
Wed 03-Oct-12 09:25 PM | edited Sun 10-Mar-13 12:14 PM by reuben
Hi Everyone ...
I have my 70-200 VRII to sell. I have been using primes a lot for my work and am not really using this.
So ... a really good price. I am selling this at $1700. Current price at Vistek and Henry's is just under $2200.
It is in MINT condition with case, hood, manuals etc. and is in box.
I am located in Toronto and can come to meet you in a public place so you can try it and see. I really don't want to sell outside Toronto.
It was purchased Nov 30 / 09.
Please let me know.
Tim

TimMcGillPhotography and TMStudios

www.timmcgillphotography.com
or
www.timmcgillportraits.com

Sports, Events, Gigs, Beauty, Fashion, Glamour, and Boudoir

Timbo1961

60 posts

#1. "RE: Selling Nikkor 70-200 f2.8 VRII Mint in box - SOLD" | In response to Reply # 0

Sat 13-Oct-12 12:53 PM
Wow ... so strange that a great lens has not had one bite!
How about $1600.- ?
Try this ... but I might have to keep this.
Tim

or

ChristianF ChristianF

Is from: Montreal, CA
1231 posts

#2. "RE: Selling Nikkor 70-200 f2.8 VRII Mint in box - SOLD" | In response to Reply # 1

ChristianF Gold Member Winner in the Best of Nikonians Photo Contest 2021 
Winner of a Best of Nikonians Photo Contest Nikonian since 21st Jan 2007
Sun 14-Oct-12 06:25 PM
I have to agree with you. If I didn't already own one, I would be happy to pay this price. I paid 2130$ for mine June '11. BTW, if anyone is listening, you couple this baby to a TC20E-III and you get 400mm in full frame and 600mm in DX on the long end. The bokeh is superb. Hang in there, it's a question of patience. Here's an example:

http://christianfritschi.com/index.php/the-red-eye-bug/

Christian,
www.ChristianFritschi.com

https://images.nikonians.org/galleries/useralbums.php?nik_lng=en

#3. "RE: Selling Nikkor 70-200 f2.8 VRII Mint in box - SOLD" | In response to Reply # 0

Mon 22-Oct-12 09:56 PM
Timbo,

Sorry, I just saw this. Of course what you are asking is a very good price assuming what you say is so.

I don't have a full frame camera, but at $1,600 is a store of value. The big concern for those of us down South (You know, the lower 48) is whether or not it has a US Serial Number. Now when we see an ad in this forum we have no reason to expect that.

But that could be the reason why no one is jumping at this deal. It's probably a better deal than putting money in a savings account. Even so, I might consider if I lived a lot closer to Toronto.

Good luck!

Charlie
Timbo1961

60 posts

#4. "RE: Selling Nikkor 70-200 f2.8 VRII Mint in box - SOLD" | In response to Reply # 3

Mon 22-Oct-12 10:00 PM
Thanks Guys ...
Yes, it is a Canadian version ... not the US.
It has the 5 year Canadian warranty. I am assuming (since I have not looked into it) that Nikon in the US has a similar policy and that they will not even touch non-US products.
Well, I have had one bite ... so I may sell it yet!
Wow ... very strange that there isn't more interest, but I guess it is a pretty common lens.
Thanks
Tim

or

#5. "RE: Selling Nikkor 70-200 f2.8 VRII Mint in box - SOLD" | In response to Reply # 4

Mon 22-Oct-12 10:28 PM
It is not such a common lens. It is on my wish list.

Charlie
PAStime PAStime

Is from: Kingston, CA
2889 posts

#6. "RE: Selling Nikkor 70-200 f2.8 VRII Mint in box - SOLD" | In response to Reply # 5

PAStime Registered since 10th Feb 2009
Tue 23-Oct-12 08:25 AM
I'd be looking into buying this lens at this price if I didn't already have one! Peter
ChristianF ChristianF

Is from: Montreal, CA
1231 posts

#7. "RE: Selling Nikkor 70-200 f2.8 VRII Mint in box - SOLD" | In response to Reply # 3

ChristianF Gold Member Winner in the Best of Nikonians Photo Contest 2021 
Winner of a Best of Nikonians Photo Contest Nikonian since 21st Jan 2007
Tue 23-Oct-12 08:29 AM
Charlie, thanks for pointing your gallery link at my gallery. Do I owe you anything?

Sorry Timbo, just an inside joke.....

Christian,
www.ChristianFritschi.com

https://images.nikonians.org/galleries/useralbums.php?nik_lng=en
Ruyooka

Is from: Toronto, CA
322 posts

#8. "RE: Selling Nikkor 70-200 f2.8 VRII Mint in box - SOLD" | In response to Reply # 7

Ruyooka Registered since 27th Nov 2006
Thu 06-Dec-12 10:54 PM
Wow! That is a fantastic offer, one I would have snapped up on the spot if I did not already own one. This is an excellent lens on all counts - and at a good price. Prospective buyers should remember that a new purchase would add HST of 13%.

Muniini
A Nikonian in Toronto
Timbo1961

60 posts

#9. "RE: Selling Nikkor 70-200 f2.8 VRII Mint in box - SOLD" | In response to Reply # 8

Mon 10-Dec-12 05:22 PM
Thanks All ...
It is still available. Not sure why the issue but in no rush to sell at a crazy price.
So maybe if someone gets some Christmas present money !!!
Tim

or

newbird newbird

Is from: Neuville, near Quebec City, CA
2058 posts

#10. "RE: Selling Nikkor 70-200 f2.8 VRII Mint in box - SOLD" | In response to Reply # 0

newbird Donor Ribbon awarded for his support to the Fundraising Campaign 2014 Registered since 25th Apr 2006
Mon 24-Dec-12 05:02 PM
>I really don't want to sell
>outside Toronto.

It is an excellent price for mint condition. I have this lens and love it! However, the "Toronto" restriction certainly reduces the number of potential buyers.

I've personnally bought expensive gears here at Nikonians, from US fellows. I also sold expensive lenses to US fellow Nikonians. Never had any problem (Sigma and Nikon). You could try selling to US as well. The price difference with brand new is worth the hassle of shipping to the other country for repairs if this ever happens. What I've seen was agreement that if something goes bad, the second-hand buyer send it back to the original buyer for repair in its country of origin. Anyway, the warranty is good only for the original buyer if I remember correctly. This is something worth of verifying and trying. The Canadian warranty is longer than the US warranty and may attrack some US buyers.

Just my 2 cents!

Yvan
Quebec Fine-Art Landscape Photographer
http://yvanbedardphotonature.com

#11. "RE: Selling Nikkor 70-200 f2.8 VRII Mint in box - SOLD" | In response to Reply # 10

Thu 27-Dec-12 07:37 AM
Como ca va Yvan,

You bring out a couple of good points. The US warranty if purchased new is 5 years. How long is it in Canada? I wouldn't mind shipping it to Canada for repairs. But, like you said, the warranty is only good for the original purchaser.

One thing that might deter some is the availability of the new 70-200 f/4 VR III. The f/2.8 has been a dream of mine, but the lower weight of the f4 is certainly attractive to me. It will probably be Sping before I decide what I will be purchasing.

Charlie
newbird newbird

Is from: Neuville, near Quebec City, CA
2058 posts

#12. "RE: Selling Nikkor 70-200 f2.8 VRII Mint in box - SOLD" | In response to Reply # 11

newbird Donor Ribbon awarded for his support to the Fundraising Campaign 2014 Registered since 25th Apr 2006
Thu 27-Dec-12 06:33 PM
> The US warranty if
>purchased new is 5 years. How long is it in Canada?

It is 5 years as well, so I made a mistake as I thought it was 2 years in the US.

Thanks Charlie for giving me the occasion to make the correction!
>
>One thing that might deter some is the availability of the new
>70-200 f/4 VR III. The f/2.8 has been a dream of mine, but
>the lower weight of the f4 is certainly attractive to me.

You got a very good point! It certainly has an impact on the resale value of the f/2.8 lens.

Yvan
Quebec Fine-Art Landscape Photographer
http://yvanbedardphotonature.com

CaptainYooh CaptainYooh

Is from: Calgary, CA
511 posts

#13. "RE: Selling Nikkor 70-200 f2.8 VRII Mint in box - SOLD" | In response to Reply # 12

CaptainYooh Registered since 27th Oct 2011
Fri 01-Feb-13 01:27 PM
Nikon 5-yr warranty on lenses is not transferable in Canada. It must be registered by the dealer at time of purchase in order to be honored by Nikon Service. Absolutely stupid and unfair rule by Nikon in my opinion.

My Flickr Photostream: https://www.flickr.com/photos/51693447@N06/albums

Timbo1961

60 posts

#14. "SOLD..... - SOLD" | In response to Reply # 13

Thu 07-Mar-13 09:45 PM
.... Many thanks to a local forum member.
T

or

#15. "RE: SOLD..... - SOLD" | In response to Reply # 14

Fri 08-Mar-13 12:14 AM
>.... Many thanks to a local forum member.
>T

Great!

C

G