Home Forums Articles Galleries Members Galleries Master Your Vision Galleries 5Contest Categories 5Winners Galleries 5ANPAT Galleries 5 The Winners Editor's Choice Portfolios Recent Photos Search Contest Info Help News Newsletter Join us Renew Membership About us Retrieve password Contact us Contests Vouchers Wiki Apps THE NIKONIAN™ For the press Fundraising Search Help!
More5

D300/D300s katzeye, Zeiss ZF18/3.5

Thu 27-May-10 06:32 PM
Split prism for D300/D300s - higher contrast than the stock screen and split-prism/microcollar makes nailing focus much easier. To get one of these into the UK will set you back about £120, so looking for £65 posted RMRD. Pokey tool included (own tweezers required, soft-tipped recommended). Page here: http://www.katzeyeoptics.com/item--Nikon-D300-D300s-Focusing-Screen--prod_D300.html

Zeiss ZF18/3.5, boxed and as new. I got this lens very recently as a trade (owner got a 14-24 at the same time and decided the Zeiss was redundant) - I'm not much of a wideangle guy, so I've decided the inferior Voigtlander 20/3.5 will suffice for me. Warranty card is in the box. Anyone who has used a ZF knows the only thing that doesn't ooze quality is the lens cap - also included is an 82mm knock-off Nikon cap that actually works. Photos available on request. These are £1100 on Robert White (while available, once ZF.2 is all that's available you'll be looking at £1200), so asking £800 posted RMSD.

Will consider trades. Located in SW UK and mobile within reason.
olivierrychner olivierrychner

Is from: Boudry, CH
5840 posts

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author

#1. "RE: D300/D300s katzeye, Zeiss ZF18/3.5" | In response to Reply # 0

olivierrychner  Awarded for his long standing high level of commitment to the Nikonians community and demon... Registered since 03rd Jan 2005
Mon 31-May-10 08:02 AM
Hi!

Interested in the Katz-Eye screen. Has it got the Opti-brite treatment? If yes, ready to consider the technicalities to make you £65 richer, if that covers the postage to Switzerland!

Olivier Rychner

Auta i lomë! And my Nikon's only awaiting daylight...

#2. "RE: D300/D300s katzeye, Zeiss ZF18/3.5" | In response to Reply # 1

Mon 31-May-10 08:09 AM
It's not optibrite treated as I got it for use with wide-aperture lenses. If you know to ask then I'm sure you understand the consequences of having/not having the optibrite treatment, but for those reading this who might not know:

"OptiBrite™ or Not?

The general rule of thumb in choosing the correct screen is to assess what lenses will be in common use. If the photographer mainly uses fast prime lenses, the untreated screen is the best choice. But if the photographer uses a mix of lenses that includes compact zooms and/or telephotos, the OptiBrite™ treated screen is recommended for best viewfinder appearance."

I'm not sure about posting to Switzerland, but I'm assuming you probably don't want it now given it's not treated. I'll look into it if you still want the screen.
olivierrychner olivierrychner

Is from: Boudry, CH
5840 posts

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author

#3. "RE: D300/D300s katzeye, Zeiss ZF18/3.5" | In response to Reply # 2

olivierrychner  Awarded for his long standing high level of commitment to the Nikonians community and demon... Registered since 03rd Jan 2005
Mon 31-May-10 10:16 AM
Thanks for the update!

You're alas right, I am a fast-lens user, but my "workhorse" is the 18-200, along with the 80-400VR, both of which are not really fast...

So I think I'll pass on this occasion, sorry for that!

Olivier Rychner

Auta i lomë! And my Nikon's only awaiting daylight...

#4. "RE: D300/D300s katzeye, Zeiss ZF18/3.5" | In response to Reply # 3

Mon 31-May-10 12:13 PM
No worries, it's definitely not very usable at f/8 (reflex lens), how it'd cope at ~f/5.6 I don't know (and since I've sold the d300s body I can't check).

G