Go to a  "printer friendly" view of this message which allow an easy print Printer-friendly copy Go to the page which allows you to send this topic link and a message to a friend Email this topic to a friend
Forums Lobby MASTER YOUR VISION - BY SPECIALTY Infrared & Ultraviolet (Public) topic #3756
View in threaded mode

Subject: "Two from the Besser Museum" Previous topic | Next topic
domer2760 Silver Member Fellow Ribbon awarded for his frequent assistance to other members by sharing his perspective, skills and expertise, especially with infrared and macro photography. Nikonian since 23rd Oct 2010Tue 10-Sep-13 01:41 AM
832 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
"Two from the Besser Museum"
Tue 10-Sep-13 01:48 AM by domer2760

Ann Arbor, US

I was heading home from "Up North" and noticed that the sunset was going to be awesome and the clouds were begging for an infrared shot. I needed to find an interesting foreground so I stopped at the Jesse Besser Museum in Alpena Michigan and shot these sculptures. The Unknown Soldier was created in 2007 and the Bald Eagle in 2000. The artist is Tom Moran of the Moran Iron Works, Onaway Michigan.

D90, Nikkor, 20mm AFD, ISO 200. f/8. The eagle was shot at 1/200 sec and the soldier at 1/50 sec.

Dan
Ann Arbor, Michigan

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

My Flickr Photostream.
Visit my Infrared Photo Blog.

Attachment #1, (jpg file)
Attachment #2, (jpg file)

Alert Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic
mfphoto1 Registered since 29th Oct 2005Tue 10-Sep-13 08:45 AM
733 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to send message via AOL IM
#1. "RE: Two from the Besser Museum"
In response to Reply # 0

Cincinnati, US

Love them both.

"Step into my world and see as I see"

My Nikonians Gallery

kds315 Moderator Awarded for his in depth knowledge and skills in a variety of subjects, most notably in Macro and Close-Up, Infrared and Ultraviolet Photography Nikonian since 15th Nov 2007Tue 10-Sep-13 09:59 AM
720 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#2. "RE: Two from the Besser Museum"
In response to Reply # 0
Tue 10-Sep-13 10:00 AM by kds315

Weinheim, DE

Impressive shots Dan! Great sky + clouds!

Cheers, Klaus
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Link(s) to the lens database (macro, UV, IR) as well as to my UV BLOG, plus many UV images here:
http://photographyoftheinvisibleworld.blogspot.de/
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

NanoMeter Registered since 17th May 2012Tue 10-Sep-13 11:26 AM
512 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#3. "RE: Two from the Besser Museum"
In response to Reply # 0

US

Great shots Dan, I like the colors and those clouds are quite dynamic.

Ineluki Gold Member Nikonian since 03rd Aug 2011Tue 10-Sep-13 12:18 PM
3177 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#4. "RE: Two from the Besser Museum"
In response to Reply # 0

Nürnberg, DE

Hello Dan,

very good pictures very good presented. Like being not of this world.

Egbert

www.allmondo.com

http://images.nikonians.org/galleries/showgallery.php/ppuser/401509/cat/500/

DrPaul1 Silver Member Nikonian since 31st Jul 2013Tue 10-Sep-13 01:43 PM
198 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#5. "RE: Two from the Besser Museum"
In response to Reply # 0

Hallandale, US

I like the composition and contrasting colors in the second image very much. The colors of the soldier, trees and grass are very nicely captured.

Paul

domer2760 Silver Member Fellow Ribbon awarded for his frequent assistance to other members by sharing his perspective, skills and expertise, especially with infrared and macro photography. Nikonian since 23rd Oct 2010Tue 10-Sep-13 05:34 PM
832 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#6. "RE: Two from the Besser Museum"
In response to Reply # 1

Ann Arbor, US

Thank you Monica! I appreciate your comment.

Dan
Ann Arbor, Michigan

My Flickr Photostream.

domer2760 Silver Member Fellow Ribbon awarded for his frequent assistance to other members by sharing his perspective, skills and expertise, especially with infrared and macro photography. Nikonian since 23rd Oct 2010Tue 10-Sep-13 05:36 PM
#7. "RE: Two from the Besser Museum"
In response to Reply # 2

Ann Arbor, US

Thank you Klaus. Sometimes I painstakingly set up the shot and sometimes the shot just finds me. This is the latter situation.

Dan
Ann Arbor, Michigan

My Flickr Photostream.

domer2760 Silver Member Fellow Ribbon awarded for his frequent assistance to other members by sharing his perspective, skills and expertise, especially with infrared and macro photography. Nikonian since 23rd Oct 2010Tue 10-Sep-13 05:41 PM
#8. "RE: Two from the Besser Museum"
In response to Reply # 3
Tue 10-Sep-13 05:42 PM by domer2760

Ann Arbor, US

Thanks Steve. The clouds were what diverted me from my trip home. (You have to shoot 'em when you see 'em.) The skies were so blue that I did not even consider a black and white treatment.

Dan
Ann Arbor, Michigan

My Flickr Photostream.

domer2760 Silver Member Fellow Ribbon awarded for his frequent assistance to other members by sharing his perspective, skills and expertise, especially with infrared and macro photography. Nikonian since 23rd Oct 2010Tue 10-Sep-13 05:46 PM
#9. "RE: Two from the Besser Museum"
In response to Reply # 4

Ann Arbor, US

Egbert,
Thank you for taking the time to comment. Color infrared is certainly a different world.

Dan
Ann Arbor, Michigan

My Flickr Photostream.

domer2760 Silver Member Fellow Ribbon awarded for his frequent assistance to other members by sharing his perspective, skills and expertise, especially with infrared and macro photography. Nikonian since 23rd Oct 2010Tue 10-Sep-13 06:06 PM
#10. "RE: Two from the Besser Museum"
In response to Reply # 5

Ann Arbor, US

Thank you Paul. I cannot take a lot of credit for the coloration because the camera and the software try to parse the IR wavelengths into red, green, and blue bins even when the green and blue wavelengths are absent (720nm filter). I was trying to create blue sky and white clouds in post-processing and the rest of the colors came along for the ride.

Thanks for commenting.

Dan
Ann Arbor, Michigan

My Flickr Photostream.

pixures Silver Member Nikonian since 25th Feb 2009Wed 11-Sep-13 01:02 AM
329 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#11. "RE: Two from the Besser Museum"
In response to Reply # 0

US

Dan,

I like em both, certainly a great IR day.

Just a thought on #1. What if you cropped in from the upper left corner maintaining aspect ratio to bring the eagle to the left third (or there about) similar to soldier in #2 being in the right third. If it doesn't work there us always undo or a save as version 2. I think the crop would accentuate the eagle and shadow while preserving gold foliage and the interesting cloud wisps.

Bill N
www.images-captured.com
"Like" on Facebook
My Nikonians Gallery

tekneektom Gold Member Nikonian since 18th Nov 2011Wed 11-Sep-13 01:25 AM
1911 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#12. "RE: Two from the Besser Museum"
In response to Reply # 0

Land O Lakes, US

Dan,

Wonderful. The Eagle image is my favorite.

Tom

domer2760 Silver Member Fellow Ribbon awarded for his frequent assistance to other members by sharing his perspective, skills and expertise, especially with infrared and macro photography. Nikonian since 23rd Oct 2010Wed 11-Sep-13 02:55 AM
#13. "RE: Two from the Besser Museum"
In response to Reply # 11
Wed 11-Sep-13 04:53 AM by domer2760

Ann Arbor, US

Thanks Bill.
That sounds like a good idea. The current image certainly has a "bulls eye" crop. I was concentrating on the sky and I did not give the eagle placement enough thought.

In looking at the potential crops, I think I would crop it on the right so the eagle has some space to look into. The croped photo below is more about the sculpture and less about the sky.

Dan
Ann Arbor, Michigan

My Flickr Photostream.

Attachment #1, (jpg file)

domer2760 Silver Member Fellow Ribbon awarded for his frequent assistance to other members by sharing his perspective, skills and expertise, especially with infrared and macro photography. Nikonian since 23rd Oct 2010Wed 11-Sep-13 04:41 AM
#14. "RE: Two from the Besser Museum"
In response to Reply # 12

Ann Arbor, US

Thanks Tom. The eagle is my favorite too.

Dan
Ann Arbor, Michigan

My Flickr Photostream.

John M Registered since 13th Oct 2003Wed 11-Sep-13 02:48 PM
242 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#15. "RE: Two from the Besser Museum"
In response to Reply # 14

Newport News, US

These are wonderful shots Dan! Thanks for sharing. I agree with the others, I like the eagle best.

John M
NN, VA
http://www.jmjstudios.net/

matcam Silver Member Nikonian since 31st May 2007Wed 11-Sep-13 06:06 PM
693 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#16. "RE: Two from the Besser Museum"
In response to Reply # 0

cambridge, US

Great shots Dan. I'd say you were pretty sucessful in finding some foregrounds to go along with those clouds!

Matt Murphy

My Flickr Sets<http://www.flickr.com/photos/28712192@N08/sets/>

domer2760 Silver Member Fellow Ribbon awarded for his frequent assistance to other members by sharing his perspective, skills and expertise, especially with infrared and macro photography. Nikonian since 23rd Oct 2010Wed 11-Sep-13 11:34 PM
#17. "RE: Two from the Besser Museum"
In response to Reply # 15

Ann Arbor, US

Thanks John. I appreciate your comments.

Dan
Ann Arbor, Michigan

My Flickr Photostream.

domer2760 Silver Member Fellow Ribbon awarded for his frequent assistance to other members by sharing his perspective, skills and expertise, especially with infrared and macro photography. Nikonian since 23rd Oct 2010Wed 11-Sep-13 11:37 PM
#18. "RE: Two from the Besser Museum"
In response to Reply # 16

Ann Arbor, US

Thanks Matt. I think I should hang with you, however. You seem to find a lot of young women to photograph!

Dan
Ann Arbor, Michigan

My Flickr Photostream.

pixures Silver Member Nikonian since 25th Feb 2009Thu 12-Sep-13 02:21 AM
329 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#19. "RE: Two from the Besser Museum"
In response to Reply # 13

US

Dan,

You are absolutely right on... the eagle looking into the frame is the better option. In fact, it pulled my eye to the sky and the angle of the clouds on the left which did not jump at me before. I like it

Bill N
www.images-captured.com
"Like" on Facebook
My Nikonians Gallery

domer2760 Silver Member Fellow Ribbon awarded for his frequent assistance to other members by sharing his perspective, skills and expertise, especially with infrared and macro photography. Nikonian since 23rd Oct 2010Thu 12-Sep-13 07:37 PM
#20. "RE: Two from the Besser Museum"
In response to Reply # 19

Ann Arbor, US

Thanks Bill!
Your critique made the photo better.

Dan
Ann Arbor, Michigan

My Flickr Photostream.

Forums Lobby MASTER YOUR VISION - BY SPECIALTY Infrared & Ultraviolet (Public) topic #3756 Previous topic | Next topic

Take the Nikonians Tour and learn more about being a Nikonian Wiki /FAQ /Help Listen to our MP3 photography radio channels Find anything on Nikon and imaging technology - fast!

Copyright © Nikonians 2000, 2014
All Rights Reserved

Nikonians®, NikoScope® and NikoniansAcademy™ are trademarks owned by Nikonians.org.
Nikon®, Nikonos® and Nikkor® are registered trademarks of Nikon Corporation.