nikonians

Even though we ARE Nikon lovers,we are NOT affiliated with Nikon Corp. in any way.

Home Forums Articles Galleries News Workshops Shop Recommended
members
All members Wiki Contests Vouchers Apps Newsletter THE NIKONIAN™ Magazines Podcasts Fundraising

Orange coneflower - Rudbeckia fulgida in reflected ultraviolet photography and simulated bee vision

kds315

Weinheim, DE
744 posts

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author
kds315 Moderator Awarded for his in depth knowledge and skills in a variety of subjects, most notably in Macro and Close-Up, Infrared and Ultraviolet Photography Nikonian since 15th Nov 2007
Sun 01-Sep-13 03:09 PM

Reflected UV shot using Baader-U filter, simulated bee vision using my XBV6 filter. Lens was my CERCO 94mm quartz fluorite lens. Light source was sunlight. All shots were done at about f5.6.

Visible light image

UV image using Baader-U filter (approx. 320-395nm, effective peak approx. 375nm):

Simulated bee vision image using experimental XBV filter:

Triptych of the above images:

Cheers, Klaus
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Link(s) to the lens database (macro, UV, IR) as well as to my UV BLOG, plus many UV images here:
http://photographyoftheinvisibleworld.blogspot.de/
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

youVIart

MU
66 posts

#1. "RE: Orange coneflower - Rudbeckia fulgida in reflected ultraviolet photography and simulated bee vision" | In response to Reply # 0

youVIart Silver Member Nikonian since 18th Aug 2012
Sun 01-Sep-13 07:53 PM

Very nice, you're getting the hang of this.
What is this, green petals, what colour are it's leaves?

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

kds315

Weinheim, DE
744 posts

#2. "RE: Orange coneflower - Rudbeckia fulgida in reflected ultraviolet photography and simulated bee vision" | In response to Reply # 1

kds315 Moderator Awarded for his in depth knowledge and skills in a variety of subjects, most notably in Macro and Close-Up, Infrared and Ultraviolet Photography Nikonian since 15th Nov 2007
Sun 01-Sep-13 08:00 PM

Cheers, Klaus
Link(s) to the lens database (macro, UV, IR) as well as to my UV BLOG, plus many UV images here:

youVIart

MU
66 posts

#3. "RE: Orange coneflower - Rudbeckia fulgida in reflected ultraviolet photography and simulated bee vision" | In response to Reply # 2

Sun 01-Sep-13 08:41 PM

Thanks. A vast flower canopy,leaves left in the shade.

domer2760

Ann Arbor, US
897 posts

#4. "RE: Orange coneflower - Rudbeckia fulgida in reflected ultraviolet photography and simulated bee vision" | In response to Reply # 0

domer2760 Silver Member Fellow Ribbon awarded for his frequent assistance to other members by sharing his perspective, skills and expertise, especially with infrared and macro photography. Donor Ribbon awarded for his generous support to the Fundraising Campaign 2014 Nikonian since 23rd Oct 2010
Sun 01-Sep-13 10:10 PM

Klaus,
These are gorgeous! Thanks for sharing.

Dan
Ann Arbor, Michigan

My Flickr Photostream.
Visit my Infrared Photo Blog.

NanoMeter

US
565 posts

#5. "RE: Orange coneflower - Rudbeckia fulgida in reflected ultraviolet photography and simulated bee vision" | In response to Reply # 2

NanoMeter Silver Member Nikonian since 17th May 2012
Mon 02-Sep-13 06:26 AM

Very nice Klaus, I like the green!

youVIart

MU
66 posts

#6. "RE: Orange coneflower - Rudbeckia fulgida in reflected ultraviolet photography and simulated bee vision" | In response to Reply # 2

Tue 03-Sep-13 02:20 PM

Alright, green petals and cyan leaves, what colour the sky and Sun. The buzz is, they use it for navigation?

Cavy2

Newtown, US
4870 posts

#7. "RE: Orange coneflower - Rudbeckia fulgida in reflected ultraviolet photography and simulated bee vision" | In response to Reply # 4

Cavy2 Silver Member Awarded for her continuing willingness to keep on learning and to share her knowledge with others in the Nikonians spirit Nikonian since 02nd Aug 2006
Tue 03-Sep-13 05:27 PM

Hi Klaus,
Love them all especially the green!

http://kathycavallaro.smugmug.com/

kds315

Weinheim, DE
744 posts

#8. "RE: Orange coneflower - Rudbeckia fulgida in reflected ultraviolet photography and simulated bee vision" | In response to Reply # 7

Wed 04-Sep-13 02:47 AM

Thanks, appreciate your comments!

Cheers, Klaus

ericbowles

Atlanta, US
9201 posts

#9. "RE: Orange coneflower - Rudbeckia fulgida in reflected ultraviolet photography and simulated bee vision" | In response to Reply # 0

ericbowles Moderator Awarded for his in-depth knowledge and high level skills in various areas, especially Landscape and Wildlife Photoghraphy Writer Ribbon awarded for for his article contributions to the community Nikonian since 25th Nov 2005
Mon 09-Sep-13 11:02 AM

Nice set of images. Very interesting.

Eric Bowles
Nikonians Team
My Gallery
Fall Workshops - Golf Photography at the Tour Championship and Fall Color in the Smokies

Nikonians membership — my most important photographic investment, after the camera

kds315

Weinheim, DE
744 posts

#10. "RE: Orange coneflower - Rudbeckia fulgida in reflected ultraviolet photography and simulated bee vision" | In response to Reply # 9

Fri 13-Sep-13 09:50 PM

high resolution close up shots....

Visible light image:

UV image using Baader-U filter (UV):

Simulated bee vision image using experimental XBV filter (UV, blue, green):

Triptych of the above images:

This attractive flower in macro close up even more so shows its very specific UV pattern,
its petals have a UV dark pattern, invisible to us humans. It also shows the conical cell
structures that enable insects to have a better grip on the surface when landed..

Cheers, Klaus

G