Go to a  "printer friendly" view of this message which allow an easy print Printer-friendly copy Go to the page which allows you to send this topic link and a message to a friend Email this topic to a friend
Forums Lobby TRAVEL & GETTING TOGETHER FORUMS Nikonians Academy NA Workshops (Public) topic #1115
View in threaded mode

Subject: ""Big Sur: Coasts & Canyons" Academy Workshop Info & FAQ" Previous topic | Next topic
mmariant Team Member Expert photography teacher Nikonian since 21st Jun 2008Fri 04-Feb-11 06:15 PM
676 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
""Big Sur: Coasts & Canyons" Academy Workshop Info & FAQ"
Fri 04-Feb-11 10:38 PM by mmariant

Morro Bay, US

Ready to head to photo-friendly Big Sur? Are you ready for an educational photographic trip that takes you into glorious wooded locations and jaw-dropping coastal scenes, all in the slow, laid-back region of the Big Sur Coast, California?

Harking back to an era where time is irrelevant, there's no rush to things and just enjoying yourself is the number one priority, the Big Sur Workshop focuses (in a relaxed manner!) on the oft-forgotten yet well-known coastal region of California's Highway 1 through the dense redwood forests and along the coastal bluffs and beaches made famous both from stories of adventures in the 1960s and as Ansel Adams and Edward Weston's photographic stomping grounds.

And it hasn't changed one bit.

-----------------------------------------

Nikonians Academy Big Sur Workshop
Thursday, April 14 - Sunday, April 17, 2011
Instructor: Michael A. Mariant

This workshop is offered annually, limited to only 10 participants, and does sell-out every year.
DEADLINE TO SIGN-UP: MARCH 25, 2011

CLICK HERE to see the gallery of images from last year's workshop.

"First of all, 'thank you' for a very rewarding photography workshop and team camaraderie! The valuable knowledge, insight… and yes, exercise… I gained over our four day venture in Big Sur was awesome. This workshop has inspired me to be a better photographer and has strengthened my visualization skills 10 fold. Thank you Michael for providing an exciting educational itinerary and great photographic locations! Your group and 1:1 instruction / feedback was very much appreciated."
-Michael (mws29)

"Thanks for a great workshop in the Big Sur! It was soooo hard to select a few (pictures) out of all we took over the 4 days."
-Greg (Chi digital1)

"Thanks again Michael for the great workshop. We all learned so much. There are just too many great images to process!"
-Rick (rickstat)

From the workshop description:

Featuring four-days of discovery along tide-pool dotted wide sandy beaches, strategic vista points where pinnacles of rock jut out of the crashing waves, through fern-covered gulches teeming with towering stands of redwood trees and up fertile canyons to hidden waterfalls cascading among moss-covered rocks. Big Sur is a place of legends, secrets and a mysterious allure that has drawn photographers for decades for its rich photographic locales.

The Big Sur workshop is a study in water motion, where participants will learn the effects of timed exposures on varying water conditions, from babbling brooks to waterfalls to calm tidal changes in coves to crashing ocean breakers over jutting rocks. Nearly every location over the four days has water as a main or primary element, enriching each scene while participants explore and discover their surroundings to capture scenes of wondrous beauty.

As with all my workshops, the four days in Big Sur are equal parts guiding to specific, photographic locations coupled with a strong educational curriculum to help each participant improve their photographic skill-set along with their pre-visualization and composition skills. Each day's locations builds on the previous day's, allowing for continual exercise of new concepts while applying techniques and methods that all culminate in a final afternoon at Point Lobos in Carmel on the Monterey Peninsula, the literal home of Edward Weston and Ansel Adams.

Personally, this is one of my favorite workshops. The entire stretch of the Big Sur coastline and mountains are simply a photographic retreat. A calming location where myself and all the workshop participants fall into a sense of calm while exploring each locale. Even the seasoned, fast-paced urbanites from major metro cities quickly slow down, both in awe and from the natural, relaxed atmosphere this region projects.

And to watch each and every photographer grow and expand their photographic repertoire from each location to the next, understanding and applying the techniques introduced, and then being able to find the scenes, compose and produce stunning imagery that is gallery-worthy really makes this workshop one of the best.

Don't take my word for it — take a look at the gallery images from the workshop last year.

It's difficult to truly express what the character, charm and personality of the Big Sur region is like, but a recent article in Smithsonian Magazine about the colorful history of Big Sur, really speaks volumes about the area and the flavor workshop participants can expect when they arrive.

It's a workshop experience that I guarantee will leave you awe-inspired, challenged and with an entire new skill-set of photographic techniques, all during a relaxing, four-days in one of the blessed regions of the California Coast.

Feel free to post any messages or questions here in the forum!

Hope to see you in Big Sur!

Cheers,
Michael

Attachment #1, (jpg file)
Attachment #2, (jpg file)
Attachment #3, (jpg file)
Attachment #4, (jpg file)
Attachment #5, (jpg file)
Attachment #6, (jpg file)

Alert Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic
mmariant Team Member Expert photography teacher Nikonian since 21st Jun 2008Fri 04-Feb-11 06:25 PM
676 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#1. "RE: Big Sur Academy Workshop Info & FAQ"
In response to Reply # 0

Morro Bay, US

1) What do we need to bring?

While a full-range of focal-length lenses, from wide to medium-tele is sufficient for this workshop, I am not one to state that the workshop requires certain lenses or cameras in order to properly capture the scene. Lenses that start in the 17mm range on the wide side and top out at 200mm on the long side will do a fine job. Chances of seeing wildlife and needing a 300mm or longer lens? About 1-5%.

A tripod is a must, however.

One piece of equipment that is required is a neutral density (ND) filter of -6 stops. There are several options out there for ND filters, from varying density to gradated to the Vario-n-Duo. If you are new to ND filters, or only bring one, the -6 stop is a great starter, especially for the studies in water motion we will be doing during the workshop. The additional ND options that are available will only contribute to your photographic creativity, but certainly are not necessary for this workshop. (See #2 below for more info.)

In regards to carrying your camera equipment, I strongly recommend a small photo backpack, waistbelt and/or chest harness (such as those from ThinkTank) as it will be much easier to carry your gear in this manner and less cumbersome than with a bulky camera bag. When packing and choosing your gear to bring, remember one thing: keep it simple and light!

A laptop computer/download device or hard drive for downloading cards/editing images will be needed, unless you carry LOTS of cards. (This workshop will be an intensive shooting workshop with no time spent indoors at the hotels.)

In the non-photographic equipment:
Light-weight long-sleeved shirts, light-weight pants, hat (ideally a wide-brimmed hat; no visors), rain or all-weather jacket. Layered clothing is ideal as the temperature changes drastically from cold winds to hot sun.

Good light-duty hiking boots or shoes with excellent traction are necessary as we will be off-trail and doing some light boulder scrambling at times and good foot traction and strong ankle support is necessary.

Also, water bottles, at least 32oz capacity (not bottled water but bottles that can be filled with water, such as Nalgene), sunscreen and headlamp or flashlight is necessary!

2) Is there a specific ND filter or brand that you recommend? Will a gradated ND filter work? What about a polarizer?

A straight 6-stop ND filter will help in lowering your shutter speed enough to capture the blur of the waterfalls. A gradated ND filter is used for when half the scene is too bright compared to the other half, such as sky compared to foreground. This will ‘balance out’ the two scenes, or make the sky darker and richer in the final photo. While they can certainly help with waterfall photos, they won’t impact the shutter speed in allowing for the blur of water.

A 3-4 stop ND filter combined with a 2-3 stop polarizer would provide you with the necessary 6-stops of ND needed for the locations at this workshop. But there is a flip-side to this solution that everyone needs to be aware of...

All filters are nothing more than tools to help us get the desired image captured from within the scene before us. A polarizer is one of those tools in the bag that has a very clear use but also conveniently has a side-effect (an increase in ND) that can be utilized — if it is in collaboration with the filter's effect.

The scene might call for 6-stops of ND, and putting on the polarizer will accomplish that but it will also apply the filter's primary purpose to the scene as well, which quite well could be an effect you don't want to see in the final image. In the case of water (the main reason we are using the 6-stop ND filter in Big Sur), the loss of the reflection of the water's surface actually severely alters the visual perspective of the scene. So in this case, it wouldn't work well.

A glass ND filter of a set-number of stops can be found by most filter makers, including Hoya, Tiffen and B+W. Sometimes they are listed as the number of stops of light reduced, such as a –6 stop ND filter, while other times they are listed in a 0.3, or 0.6, or 1.3, etc. reference. In this case, every ‘.3’ equals one stop of light. So a .9 ND is a –3 stop ND filter. So a –6 stop ND filter then would be listed as a ND 1.8 filter. (They couldn’t keep it simple, could they?) Of course, some manufactures have their own numbering system, so you will have to check with each manufacturer to confirm the number so stops of ND for each filter.

A quick look on B&H Photo’s web site and they have 72mm ND filters available from B+W, Formatt and Tiffen. Of course, there are thousands of filter, but by narrowing the search results down to just 72mm, Neutral Density filter and the type (density) of filter, such as .6 or 1.8, you can see all your options. (Note: DO NOT use/purchase Cokin ND filters, as there are documented and known issues of color shifting during exposure.)

3) What's the terrain like where we will be?

The Big Sur region is a coastal, mountainous region with steep ascents and wide sandy beaches, sheer cliffs and dense forests. Nearly all of our photo locations are either just off trail or in fairly level locations. Some might require light boulder-scrambling for additional vantage points while others include light hiking on level or slightly elevated terrain. The Big Sur region is also Poison Oak territory; if you are not familiar with Poison Oak, safety and identifying it will be reviewed during the orientation. If you have concerns or reservations about any of this, please email me.

4) What's the workshop schedule?

The itinerary that is listed in the workshop description is a ‘boilerplate’ schedule, one created several years ago and used many times since for workshops. Every location workshop I teach has a ‘boilerplate’ itinerary that can – and is – modified to suit not only the terrain conditions and weather conditions but also the workshop attendee conditions. It would be impossible to constantly update all of my itineraries every time there is a modification needed. These adjustments are made and reviewed with attendees during the workshop orientation. A detailed itinerary of our daily schedule will be provided to everyone during  the workshop orientation.

The workshop will begin on Thursday, April 14 with the required orientation at breakfast, and will conclude Sunday, April 17 following sunset at Point Lobos. While some might have departing flight requirements that necessitate a earlier departure from Big Sur or Point Lobos on Sunday, we will be in the extreme northern portion of Big Sur and it will be quick to get to the Monterey airport. (See #6 below for transportation details)

Each day will include a full-schedule of shooting of all the springtime environments of Big Sur, from the waterfalls to the beaches to the cliffs to the spring-time blooms. We will begin at sunrise and go to sunset each day, with some days going past sunset. There will also be an exercise in "Painting with Light" one evening.

5) Where do we meet to start the workshop?

We will be meeting at 7am outside the entrance to the Big Sur California Café in San Simeon. The restaurant is located between the Day’s Inn and Silver Surf Hotel. I will be the one standing outside with a bright orange clipboard; you can’t miss me. The workshop will begin with orientation during breakfast. We will leave the café at 8:30am and head to our first shooting location. As the schedule is fluid based on conditions and taking into consideration that cellphone service is spotty, it will be impossible to coordinate any late arrivals.

6) How do we get to San Simeon? What airport do we fly to?

The airport of arrival/departure should be Monterey or San Jose (1.5 hours away from Monterey) with a drive to San Simeon via Highway 101 (2.5 hours) for the start of the workshop. Take Highway 101 south to the city of Paso Robles, and take Highway 46 WEST (through the wine country) to Highway 1 NORTH, up a quick 10 minutes to San Simeon.

We will be ending the workshop late on Day 4, after sunset. Plan your departing flights accordingly or plan for an additional night of lodging in Monterey.

7) Where should we book our hotel rooms?

• You will need to book a room for Wed (4/13) and Thurs (4/14) night in San Simeon.
• You will need to book a room for Friday (4/15) and Saturday (4/16) night in Big Sur Village.

A list of recommended accommodations are found below:

Lodging in San Simeon:
* Motel 6: San Simeon - www.motel6.com - (805) 927-5341 ($)
* Courtesy Inn - www.courtesyinns.com - (805) 927-4691 ($)
* San Simeon Lodge - www.sansimeonbeachresort.net - (805) 927-4601 ($)
* Silver Surf Motel - www.silversurfmotel.com - (805) 927-4661 ($)
* Quality Inn - www.qualityinn.com - (805) 927-3998 ($$)
* Inns of California San Simeon - www.innsofcal.com - (805) 927-8659 ($$)
* Sea Breeze Inn - www.seabreezeinnsansimeon.com - (805) 927-3284 ($$)
* Sands Motel - www.sandsmotel.com - (805) 927-3243 ($$)

Lodging in Big Sur Village:
* Fernwood Resort - www.fernwoodbigsur.com - (831) 667-2422 ($-$$) (limited number of lodging units, location of our base operations in Big Sur Village, note that the motel units are adjacent to the restaurant, where scheduled live music in the evening might impair one's ability for a good night's sleep.)
* Big Sur River Inn - www.bigsurriverinn.com - (831) 667-2700 ($$$)
* Big Sur Campground & Cabins - www.bigsurcamp.com - (831) 667-2322 ($-$$) (limited lodging options)
* Riverside Campgrounds & Cabins - www.riversidecampground.com - (831) 667-2414 ($-$$)
* Ripplewood Resort - www.ripplewoodresort.com - (831) 667-2242 ($$)
* Glen Oaks Motel - www.glenoaksbigsur.com - (831) 667-2105 ($$)
* Big Sur Lodge - www.bigsurlodge.com - (831) 667-3100 ($$) (large quantity of lodging units, however, it is away from Village)
* Ventana Inn & Spa - www.ventanainn.com - (831) 667-2331 ($$$$)
* Post Ranch Inn - www.postranchinn.com - (831) 667-2200 ($$$$)

The workshop concludes after sunset on Sunday evening in Carmel at Point Lobos.

If you are flying out of Monterey on Monday morning, there is a Comfort Inn Monterey Peninsula Airport located at the airport. The hotel is approximately 15 minutes from our final shooting location at Point Lobos on Sunday evening.

8) Will we be carpooling?

The morning orientation will include establishing a carpool scenario where we will all be in just 3-4 cars. Many of the locations we are going to are accessed from small turnouts on the side of the road and there is not much room for lots of cars, hence the need to utilize as few vehicles as possible. With rare exception, as cell reception is nearly non-existent in Big Sur we will be using hand-held radios to communicate between the cars during the daily travels.

9) What is the meals/eating situation?

The workshop schedule usually allows for a sit-down breakfast and sit-down dinner every day, while some days we will have a sit-down lunch or have get a lunch to-go in order to maximize our shooting time.  All of our breakfast and dinner meals will be at dining establishments either in San Simeon or Big Sur Village. You can budget that breakfast will cost between $8-10 and lunch/dinner between $15-18. Lunch in the isolated hamlets within the Big Sur region (outside of Big Sur Village) is very pricey as it is very remote. A simple hamburger can run a shocking $18!

10) Do I need a certain level of experience for this workshop?

I can assure you that NONE of my travel/location workshops are too advanced for anyone! I structure my location workshops, with a maximum number of attendees capped at 10, with an emphasis on one-on-one instruction. While we travel from one location to another throughout Big Sur, not only will I be guiding the group and providing group instruction on certain overall techniques, I find out from each attendee what areas of photography they want to focus on or improve during the workshop.

Then for the next four days, at each location, I go from attendee to attendee to individually work with each person on their own area of focus. In such, there is no specific pre-requisite level of experience needed; everyone is part of the group learning what they need to better themselves as a photographer.

If some of the descriptions of what we will be doing, or filters or equipment that is recommended, seems foreign or unfamiliar to you, rest assured that you will be an expert by the time we reach Point Lobos in Carmel at the conclusion of the workshop! If you have any questions, please post them here in the forum and I will respond back promptly.

david_mathre Platinum Member Nikonian since 23rd Nov 2006Sat 05-Feb-11 07:48 PM
530 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#2. "RE: Big Sur Academy Workshop Info & FAQ"
In response to Reply # 1

Skillman, US

I fully recommend Michael and this workshop. The image that Michael is using that I took during the workshop last year “From the forest floor looking up” won both “Best in show” and “People’s choice” awards at a show by the “Photographic Art Society of Florida” last year.

DJM

"Images of the Day" PhotoBlog
My Nikonians Gallery
ShepArtPhotography Gallery

ttt9714 Registered since 27th Feb 2011Tue 01-Mar-11 10:25 AM
6 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#3. "RE: Big Sur Academy Workshop Info & FAQ"
In response to Reply # 2

Mountain View, US

Michael,
I look forward to participating in my first Nikonians field workshop.

I noticed that the link on the workshop description page (What to Bring -> Optional)
http://www.nikoniansacademy.com/all/viewWorkshop.html?workshop_id=40
links to the 2010 forum thread...

...instead of the new 2011 forum thread:
http://www.nikonians.org/forums/dcboard.php?az=show_topic&forum=207&topic_id=1115&mesg_id=1115&page=

See you soon!

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

mmariant Team Member Expert photography teacher Nikonian since 21st Jun 2008Thu 03-Mar-11 04:54 PM
#4. "RE: Big Sur Academy Workshop Info & FAQ"
In response to Reply # 3

Morro Bay, US

Thanks for bringing that to my attention! I've asked for that link to be fixed to go to this forum now.

donaldo Registered since 09th Jan 2010Fri 11-Mar-11 09:03 PM
13 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#5. "RE: Big Sur Academy Workshop Info & FAQ"
In response to Reply # 4

Ladera Ranch, US

Hey Michael,
I'm excited to be on board as well, and look forward to the start of what I'm sure will prove to be a fantastic workshop! I'll be staying at Fernwood (with my earplugs at the ready for the Saturday night music fest), and plan on booking something in San Simeon this coming week. When we spoke a few weeks ago, I seem to recall you mentioning that the Motel 6 was decent and also the place we'd meet for breakfast on Day 1. Is that correct? If so, I'll book there. Lastly, should I bother with my macro lens on this trip? Thanks, Don

mmariant Team Member Expert photography teacher Nikonian since 21st Jun 2008Sat 12-Mar-11 06:32 PM
#6. "RE: Big Sur Academy Workshop Info & FAQ"
In response to Reply # 5

Morro Bay, US

Don,

The Motel 6 is at one end of the hotel strip, and where we meet for breakfast (at the Big Sur California Cafe) is at the other end. But it's about two blocks between the two (San Simeon is not large at all!)

There might be some macro opportunities, but it is not a focus of the workshop.

-M

mmariant Team Member Expert photography teacher Nikonian since 21st Jun 2008Fri 18-Mar-11 12:02 AM
#7. "FYI: Big Sur Road Closure to Affect Workshop"
In response to Reply # 0
Fri 18-Mar-11 12:04 AM by mmariant

Morro Bay, US

IMPORTANT NEWS: On Wednesday evening, March 16, a 40-foot section of two-lane Highway 1 in Big Sur fell into the ocean. The roadway collapse is at the north end of Big Sur, just south of Carmel between Bixby Bridge and Rocky Point Bridge.

The entire southbound lane fell away while the northbound lane has been undermined and compromised.

The red gash, above, is the area of the cliff that gave way under the roadbed.

The California Department of Transportation (CalTrans) has stated that it would be at least a month until a temporary repair will be in place, and the road would remain closed until then. While road closures and delays due to Mother Nature are common in Big Sur, they usually are the result of a landslide or rocks on the road, not the road being undermined.

While it is too far out to ascertain if the roadwork will be completed in time for the start of the April 14th Big Sur Workshop, we will be monitoring the situation closely and provide updates as conditions warrant.

This would affect the workshop itinerary by limiting access to two of the shooting locations: Sobranes Point at sunset on Saturday evening, and Point Lobos on Sunday. Also, at the conclusion of the workshop, this would require a complete transit south through Big Sur to San Simeon (and your final destination) instead of concluding the workshop in Carmel/Monterey.

Contingency locations are already in place to continue with a full itinerary. At this time, we do not see this road closure affecting the continuance of the workshop. The workshop will go on as planned.

Updates will be made here on the forum thread when they become available.

ttt9714 Registered since 27th Feb 2011Sat 19-Mar-11 04:15 PM
6 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#8. "RE: FYI: Big Sur Road Closure to Affect Workshop"
In response to Reply # 7

Mountain View, US

Michael,
Thanks for the update regarding Highway 1 closure. Those photos are quite dramatic, and I'm glad to hear that there were no serious injuries.

Glad to hear that you intend to proceed with the workshop regardless of road status. Let us know ASAP regarding itinerary changes so that we can make appropriate hotel reservations. I'm currently booked in Monterey on Sunday night, but I assume that will not be accessible from the south.
-M. Webb

mmariant Team Member Expert photography teacher Nikonian since 21st Jun 2008Mon 21-Mar-11 07:08 PM
#9. "RE: FYI: Big Sur Road Closure to Affect Workshop"
In response to Reply # 8

Morro Bay, US

Yes, it would be very safe to assume that we will not be concluding the workshop in Monterey on Sunday night. I will be adjusting the itinerary timing so that those that are staying over Sunday night will be back in San Simeon area (workshop start location) that evening.

The lodging schedule will remain the same, with Wednesday and Thursday night in San Simeon, and Friday and Saturday night in Big Sur. Sunday night, if needed will be accommodated in the itinerary for San Simeon, Cambria, Morro Bay or San Luis Obispo, your personal preference.

For those flying, the new airport of arrival/departure will need to be San Luis Obispo, unless you opt to arrive at a larger airport (LAX, SFO, San Jose) and drive to the workshop.

btuffli Registered since 24th Aug 2010Mon 21-Mar-11 07:34 PM
3 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#10. "RE: FYI: Big Sur Road Closure to Affect Workshop"
In response to Reply # 8

US

Michael
I am very much looking forward to the workshop, but with the road closure, I like most, am changing my plans. Will we still end with a sunset shoot and if so, where will that be and what time would you expect it to end? Sorry for the questions but I thought it would be an easy drive home on Sunday evening from Monterey.
Thank you very much for the update.
B. Tuffli

mmariant Team Member Expert photography teacher Nikonian since 21st Jun 2008Mon 21-Mar-11 10:40 PM
#11. "UPDATE: Big Sur Road Closure to Affect Workshop"
In response to Reply # 7

Morro Bay, US

Hello everyone,

CalTrans today announced that they plan to have the road open (one lane, controlled traffic) by April 16th. While this is very promising based on the original workshop itinerary, it is still a few weeks out to determine if they will meet that target date. (Large financial incentives have been provided to the contractor to finish on or before that date.)

If the road were to reopen on April 16, based on the original itinerary, we would utilize the opening for a planned sunset shoot north of Big Sur, as well as the next day (Sunday) in traveling north toward Carmel for the workshop conclusion.

At this time I ask for your patience as we wait to see how the initial work progresses and if they can keep on schedule. I will be monitoring this daily and provide updates as frequent as possible.

Michael

donaldo Registered since 09th Jan 2010Thu 24-Mar-11 09:49 PM
13 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#12. "RE: UPDATE: Big Sur Road Closure to Affect Workshop"
In response to Reply # 11

Ladera Ranch, US

Hi Michael,
One or two of the northern venues notwithstanding, I'm still chomping at the bit for the workshop to begin. If you need to resort to Plan B, I'm sure the alternate sites will be spectacular as well. Isn't everything spectacular in Big Sur? In addition to having a opportunity to photograph in this iconic location, one of the important reasons I signed up for this particular workshop was due to its 4 days of solid camera work (with no processing or down time)and lots of instruction/guidance. We'll all learn a lot more about our cameras and technique + come home with tons of images to process. It also sure beats the heck out of work, phone calls, honeydos, dinner with my mother-in-law, etc. Now that CalTrans has pulled out its checkbook, I'm betting the original itinerary will work out as planned. A Sunday night accomodation in either the Carmel area or San Simeon should'nt be a problem.
Thanks and Best Regards, Don

ttt9714 Registered since 27th Feb 2011Tue 29-Mar-11 09:08 AM
#13. "Free presentation on Big Sur at REI Marina on Apr 5 & 7"
In response to Reply # 0

Mountain View, US

All,
I recently became aware of an upcoming (free) photography presentation sponsored by REI titled "Big Sur: A Photographer's Perspective." This sounds like a great introduction to our upcoming trip.

Event dates are Apr 5 & Apr 7 at 7:00 PM in the REI Marina store.

See below and follow link for more details.
http://www.rei.com/stores/113

Description: On one side is the stunning expanse of the Pacific, on the other, the spectacular Santa Lucia Range. Tonight, award-winning photographer Doug Steakley will give a digital presentation of his favorite locations along this scenic highway. From Point Lobos south to Julia Pfeiffer Burns State Park and San Simeon, Doug will introduce you to the beauty and drama of the coast. Come discover hidden beaches and redwood groves, rocky coves and waterfalls, elephant seals, and more.

Following the presentation, Doug will sign copies of his new book, "The Photographer's Guide to Big Sur: Where to Find Perfect Shots and How to Take Them" . This free presentation will be held at REI, 145 General Stilwell Drive, in Marina 93933 (12th Street/Imjin Parkway Exit 408 on Hwy One)

mmariant Team Member Expert photography teacher Nikonian since 21st Jun 2008Tue 29-Mar-11 06:44 PM
#14. "RE: Big Sur Roads Update and Query"
In response to Reply # 0

Morro Bay, US

Hello all,

If you have followed the Big Sur road news, you might have heard about the two new slides at the southern end of Big Sur on Highway 1. These new slides have effectively closed Big Sur from entry ... but only for the next few days. I have absolutely no concerns at all about mudslides, as these get cleared in a matter of days. Again, the temporary closures due to mudslides or rockslides is not of concern to me.

The undermined road at the northern end of Big Sur still is on track for a April 16th reopen, but it is still too far out to determine if the road will truly open on that date.

As I plan for the contingency locations in our itinerary, and the resulting overall change in the itinerary schedule, it would help me greatly knowing everyone's travel plans and current lodging arrangements.

If you could please post in a reply to this posting where you will be driving from, and where you currently have lodging reservations, including on Sunday night if needed. This is based on the original itinerary, as I have not finalized the alternate itinerary, as it is flexible and I would like to make it accommodate all of you and your travel needs/plans.

I can assure you that the contingency locations are spectacular. As noted above, all the locations in Big Sur are spectacular. It's just that there isn't enough time to squeeze them all in! So rest assured that the road closure would not affect the quality or experience of the workshop.

So please post where you will be coming from, and your current lodging reservations and travel plans on Sunday, based on the original itinerary.

Thanks for your cooperation and patience!

Cheers,
Michael

donaldo Registered since 09th Jan 2010Wed 30-Mar-11 04:30 AM
#15. "RE: Big Sur Roads Update and Query"
In response to Reply # 14

Ladera Ranch, US

Hi Michael,
I'll be driving in Wednesday from Orange County, and I'm booked at the Quality Inn in San Simeon for Wed/Thur. and at Fernwood in Big Sur for Friday and Saturday nights. I'm not too concerned about Sunday night. I'm sure I'll find something that works. I'll be driving back home Monday...either from Carmel or San Simeon. So Let the Photography Begin!

donaldo Registered since 09th Jan 2010Wed 30-Mar-11 04:31 AM
#16. "RE: Free presentation on Big Sur at REI Marina on Apr 5 & 7"
In response to Reply # 13

Ladera Ranch, US

Thanks for the heads up. While I can't make the presentation, I ordered the book from Amazon today. See you in a couple of weeks. Best Regards, Don

ttt9714 Registered since 27th Feb 2011Wed 30-Mar-11 12:33 PM
#17. "RE: Big Sur Roads Update and Query -> travel plans"
In response to Reply # 15
Thu 31-Mar-11 06:40 AM by ttt9714

Mountain View, US

Updated 3/31/11

Michael,
I will be driving from the Bay Area (Peninsula) in my own car.
Wed, Thu -> Quality Inn, San Simeon
Fri, Sat -> Fernwood Resort, Big Sur Village
Sun -> Fernwood Resort, Big Sur Village (confirmed)

I will participate in the optional sunset shoot on Sunday.

I have planned to take vacation on Monday for the drive home that includes the following stops: Nacimiento-Fergusson Road, Fort Hunter Liggett, Mission San Antonia de Padua, Milpitas Hacienda.

buhr12 Gold Member Nikonian since 05th Jan 2007Wed 30-Mar-11 05:35 PM
122 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#18. "RE: Big Sur Roads Update and Query"
Wed 30-Mar-11 05:36 PM by buhr12

Medford, US

Hi Michael and everyone

I will be driving in from the north on Wednesday and have reservations at the Best Western in San Simeon on The 13th and 14th. I have reservations at the Fernwood Resort for the 15th and 16th. I have no reservations as yet for Sunday the 17th.

Dennis

mmariant Team Member Expert photography teacher Nikonian since 21st Jun 2008Wed 30-Mar-11 06:20 PM
#19. "UPDATE: Big Sur Road Closure to Affect Workshop"
In response to Reply # 7

Morro Bay, US

ROAD CONDITIONS UPDATE:
The latest Caltrans update from today, March 30, shows a revision of the estimated date of reopening Hwy 1 north of Big Sur proper from April 16 to the end of April at the earliest.

With this announcement, the workshop schedule and itinerary is now finalized.

View of slide affecting Highway 1 north of Big Sur Village

ITINERARY:
Due to this latest announcement, the workshop itinerary has been modified to accommodate this road closure. As such, the workshop will "officially" conclude on Sunday afternoon just south of Big Sur proper. This will allow time for travel to San Simeon in the late afternoon daylight south on Highway 1 for those who need to stay in San Simeon for continued travel home Monday morning.

Available Option: For those who have the time or wish to stay in Big Sur for a sunset shot on Sunday evening, an optional revisit opportunity to the most popular sunset location of the workshop, located near Big Sur Village, is scheduled. This would occur after the "official" end of the workshop in the afternoon. This would necessitate staying in Big Sur Village for a third night, Sunday evening, or driving down Highway 1 to San Simeon in the dark. (Not recommended!)

Through this new schedule and itinerary, I wanted to provide the opportunity for a full workshop as originally planned with the optional Sunday evening sunset location, but also provide safe passage to San Simeon in daylight hours for those who need to be returning home early Monday morning. It is my hope that this schedule will best accommodate all of the workshop participants.

LODGING SCHEDULE:
If you had reservations in Monterey for Sunday evening, those would need to be canceled.

The revised lodging schedule is now:

Wednesday, April 13: San Simeon
Thursday, April 14: San Simeon
Friday, April 15: Big Sur Village
Saturday, April 16: Big Sur Village
Sunday, April 17: San Simeon (for those departing at the official conclusion of the workshop in the afternoon) or Big Sur Village (for those staying for the optional sunset location)

The itinerary modification will not impact the workshop in regards to the "value" of the shooting locations. As was said before, there are more locations than there is time!

Please continue to post your travel information details (and any updates) here on the forum thread.

Thanks for your patience as we worked through the changes to the workshop schedule.

Looking forward to meeting everyone in San Simeon on the morning of April 14.

ranjenranch Registered since 07th Nov 2009Fri 01-Apr-11 02:39 AM
3 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#20. "RE: Big Sur Roads Update and Query"

US

Hello this is Randy Taylor

OUr travel plans are as follows
Arrive san Simeon on wed 13th
Stay at motel 6 until friday 15th
Check in Big Sur fernwood resort 15th pm
check out monday morning 18th

We arrive from Paso Robles on the 13 san Simeon to avoid hwy 1

Any questions or? reply to email

Thanks 
Randy T

btuffli Registered since 24th Aug 2010Mon 04-Apr-11 04:06 PM
#21. "RE: Big Sur Roads Update and Query"

US

Good morning, Michael. Angela Grove and I will be driving up from the south and spending Wednesday and Thursday nights at the Quality Inn in San Simeon. We have Friday and Saturday reservations at the Big Sur Lodge, and though that could change, will probably depart Sunday afternoon to be back home in the San Francisco area that night.
Looking forward to meeting you and to what promises to be a GREAT workshop.
Barbara Tuffli

mmariant Team Member Expert photography teacher Nikonian since 21st Jun 2008Mon 04-Apr-11 07:09 PM
#22. "RE: Big Sur Roads Update and Query"
In response to Reply # 15

Morro Bay, US

Donald,

Just checking on an update for Sunday evening, if you will be staying for the sunset photography and extending at Fernwood or if you will be leaving after the afternoon workshop conclusion.

-M

mmariant Team Member Expert photography teacher Nikonian since 21st Jun 2008Mon 04-Apr-11 07:10 PM
#23. "RE: Big Sur Roads Update and Query"
In response to Reply # 18

Morro Bay, US

Dennis,

Just checking on an update for Sunday evening, if you will be staying for the sunset photography and extending at Fernwood or if you will be leaving after the afternoon workshop conclusion.

-M

buhr12 Gold Member Nikonian since 05th Jan 2007Mon 04-Apr-11 11:27 PM
122 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#24. "RE: Big Sur Roads Update and Query"
In response to Reply # 21

Medford, US

Michael

Unfortunately I will not be staying for the sunset as I have to hit the road back home.

Dennis

donaldo Registered since 09th Jan 2010Tue 05-Apr-11 12:57 AM
#25. "RE: Big Sur Roads Update and Query"
In response to Reply # 22

Ladera Ranch, US

The room I'm booked into at Fernwood is taken for Sunday night. I'll probably make my way back down south Sunday afternoon so that I can get back to Orange County in time for one or two meetings I have late Monday afternoon. Best Regards, Donald

donaldo Registered since 09th Jan 2010Wed 06-Apr-11 04:24 PM
#26. "RE: UPDATE: Big Sur Road Closure to Affect Workshop"
In response to Reply # 19

Ladera Ranch, US

Good Morning Michael:
The folks at Fernwood phoned me yesterday to update the northern road closure information. They also advised that the route south (roughly @ Lucia - about an hour south of Fernwood(?)) closes at 7:00 pm daily and reopens at approximately 7:00 am. Not sure whether that's important to any of the workshop participants, but I thought I'd throw it out there. For those not staying for the sunset shoot on Sunday, I assume we'll be wrapped up early enough to get past Lucia prior to the evening road closure.
Lastly, I was checking out the forum for last year's trip, and some mention was made of a black and white visualization device you use. If possible, could you bring that along this year or give me a heads up as to where I can buy one?
Thanks...see you next week.
Donald

mmariant Team Member Expert photography teacher Nikonian since 21st Jun 2008Wed 06-Apr-11 06:27 PM
#27. "RE: UPDATE: Big Sur Road Closure to Affect Workshop"
In response to Reply # 26

Morro Bay, US

Hi Donald,

Yes, the southern end of Big Sur still has roadwork by CalTrans as they clear a slide at Alder Creek, but as you noted the road is open to traffic from 7:00am to 7:00pm, as they do the final repairs in the evening. I check the CalTrans traffic advisory report for Big Sur each day to monitor the progress on this slide/repair, as well as the road closure at the northern end of Big Sur.

At this time, neither of the road work projects will impact the workshop (based on the revised itinerary). The Sunday afternoon conclusion of the workshop is timed so as to allow those traveling south toward San Simeon and San Luis Obispo along Highway 1 more than enough time to get past the road work at Alder Creek prior to the 7pm closure.

As for the B&W visualization 'device', I will bring it with me and share the technique with everyone.

See everyone in a week!

Michael

mmariant Team Member Expert photography teacher Nikonian since 21st Jun 2008Wed 06-Apr-11 09:21 PM
#28. "RE: UPDATE: Big Sur Road Closure to Affect Workshop"
In response to Reply # 27

Morro Bay, US

UPDATE @ 2:15pm, Wed. April 6.

I just received notice from Caltrans that the southern road work at Alder Creek, that restricted travel on Highway 1 from between 7am to 7pm, has been concluded.

Highway 1 at Alder Creek is now open in both directions 24-hours with no restrictions.

While this does not affect the workshop schedule, I wanted to post this update as those traveling on Sunday afternoon/evening will no longer be under a time constraint to pass through by 7pm.

The northern closure of Hwy. 1 at Rocky Creek is still in place and will not be improved upon by next week.

-M

buhr12 Gold Member Nikonian since 05th Jan 2007Thu 07-Apr-11 06:26 PM
#29. "Wednesday shooting opportunities"
In response to Reply # 28

Medford, US

Michael

It appears that several of us will be in San Simeon on Wednesday afternoon, any suggestions on shooting opportunities or a good spot to shoot the sunset.

Dennis

donaldo Registered since 09th Jan 2010Thu 07-Apr-11 07:54 PM
#30. "RE: UPDATE: Big Sur Road Closure to Affect Workshop"
In response to Reply # 27

Ladera Ranch, US

Thanks Michael,
I have one additional question on the subject of GEAR SECURITY...specifically about lenses and equipment we may not have on our person while shooting during the day. Should it be left in our room in a locked case or luggage? - In a locked car (I've read a caveat or two about past break-ins on the side of the road)? - With the hotel or motel...perhaps in a secure room? Thanks, Donald

mmariant Team Member Expert photography teacher Nikonian since 21st Jun 2008Thu 07-Apr-11 10:07 PM
#31. "RE: UPDATE: Big Sur Road Closure to Affect Workshop"
In response to Reply # 30

Morro Bay, US

We will be taking our our gear with us for each location, not leaving anything in the vehicles or lodging establishments. The diversity of the locations will necessitate the range of gear as described in the FAQ.

mmariant Team Member Expert photography teacher Nikonian since 21st Jun 2008Thu 07-Apr-11 10:09 PM
#32. "RE: Wednesday shooting opportunities"
In response to Reply # 29

Morro Bay, US

Dennis,

Yes, I would recommend heading just south on Highway 1 from San Simeon to the town of Cambria. Grab an early dinner at the Main Street Grill in the West Village of Cambria (right next to the highway) and then head right across the highway over to Moonstone Beach for some nice sunset opportunities.

-M

mmariant Team Member Expert photography teacher Nikonian since 21st Jun 2008Thu 07-Apr-11 10:18 PM
#33. "Big Sur Final Update & Reminders!!!"
In response to Reply # 0
Thu 07-Apr-11 11:29 PM by mmariant

Morro Bay, US

One week to go until the start of the workshop! Here's the final update and reminder on certain photo gear that is required for the workshop along with some suggested photo and non-photo gear:

Where are we meeting to start the workshop?

We will be meeting at 8:00 AM at the Big Sur California Cafe in San Simeon. The restaurant is located between the Day’s Inn and Silver Surf Hotel. I will be the one with a bright orange clipboard; you can’t miss me. The workshop will begin with orientation during breakfast. Note the time change from the original FAQ of the starting time has been changed.

What gear do we NEED to bring?

LENSES: While a full-range of focal-length lenses, from wide to medium-tele is sufficient for this workshop, I am not one to state that the workshop requires certain lenses or cameras in order to properly capture the scene. Lenses that start in the 17mm range on the wide side and top out at 200mm on the long side will do a fine job. If you are shooting on a cropped-sensor camera, and have an 18-200 lens, that is all you need for lenses. I would put the emphasis on the wider lenses over the longer lenses, meaning a wide-angle zoom, such as a 16-35 or 24-70, or both, would be used far more than a 70-200.

FILTERS: One piece of equipment that is REQUIRED is a neutral density (ND) filter of at least -6 stops (Note: NOT a gradated ND filter and NOT polarizer filters). There are several options out there for ND filters, from varying density to the Vario-n-Duo. If you are new to ND filters, or only bring one, the -6 stop is a great starter, especially for the studies in water motion we will be doing during the workshop. The additional ND options that are available will only contribute to your photographic creativity, but certainly are not necessary for this workshop.

A glass ND filter of a set-number of stops can be found by most filter makers, including Hoya, Tiffen and B+W. Sometimes they are listed as the number of stops of light reduced, such as a –6 stop ND filter, while other times they are listed in a 0.3, or 0.6, or 1.3, etc. reference. In this case, every ‘.3’ equals one stop of light. So a .9 ND is a –3 stop ND filter. So a –6 stop ND filter then would be listed as a ND 1.8 filter. (They couldn’t keep it simple, could they?) Of course, some manufactures have their own numbering system, so you will have to check with each manufacturer to confirm the number of stops of ND for each filter.

(Note: DO NOT use/purchase Cokin ND filters, as there are documented and known issues of color shifting during exposure.)

OTHER PHOTO GEAR: A tripod is absolutely necessary. Make sure it is in good working order. And a cable or shutter release is highly recommended, as we will often be dealing with long exposures and you don't want to jar the camera by pressing the shutter. If you don't have a shutter release, don't panic, as you can use the self-timer. As for data storage, either bring enough cards to get you through the entire four day workshop or bring a laptop to download and review your images.

NON PHOTO GEAR: Good light-duty hiking boots or shoes with excellent traction are necessary as we will be off-trail and doing some light boulder scrambling at times and good foot traction and strong ankle support is necessary. Count on going through mud and creeks. No sandals or flip-flops. Guaranteed stubbed toes or, even worse, large splinters! Light-weight long-sleeved shirts, light-weight pants, hat (ideally a wide-brimmed hat; no visors), rain or all-weather jacket. Layered clothing is ideal as the temperature changes drastically from cold winds to hot sun. Also, water bottles, at least 32oz capacity (not bottled water but bottles that can be filled with water, such as Nalgene), sunscreen and — most importantly — a headlamp or flashlight is necessary! In the "not necessary but suggested" category, hiking/trekking poles can be very handy, as we will be in some terrain where the extra "two feet" can help with stability.

What is the meals/eating situation?

The workshop schedule usually allows for a sit-down breakfast and sit-down dinner every day, while some days we will have a sit-down lunch or have get a lunch to-go in order to maximize our shooting time.  All of our breakfast and dinner meals will be at dining establishments either in San Simeon or Big Sur Village (Fernwood). You can budget that breakfast will cost between $8-10 and lunch/dinner between $15-18. The sole lunch in the isolated hamlet of Lucia is very pricey as it is very remote. A simple hamburger can run a shocking $18, but the past workshop favorite of fish and chips (famous!) runs about $22 and can be split between two people.

What are the road conditions? Is Highway 1 still closed at the north end? What about that landslide at the south end?

Highway 1 is still closed at the north end and with near certainty will remain that way through the workshop. The workshop itinerary has been modified to accommodate this closure. The landslide at the southern end has been completely cleared and there are no restrictions. However, the Big Sur region has been saturated by heavy rains over the past two months and the ground is unstable. Landslides/rockslides can happen at any moment on any stretch of the road. It is impossible to predict and we will work all contingencies into the schedule if a slide impairs our travel. At this moment, it is raining in Big Sur. Over the course of the next seven days, I will continue to monitor the road conditions daily and will provide an update here if conditions change.

What about the possible shutdown of the Federal Government due to stalled budget talks? Will that affect the workshop?

No. All of the areas we are visiting that are manned by government officials (rangers) or run by a government agency are State of California properties.

That does it for the final update. If you have any questions, please don't hesitate to ask BEFORE we reach Big Sur.

Cheers,
Michael

ttt9714 Registered since 27th Feb 2011Mon 11-Apr-11 02:45 AM
#34. "RE: Wed shooting opportunities -> Moonstone Beach"
In response to Reply # 32

Mountain View, US

All,
See below for proposed "unofficial" schedule for Wednesday evening:

5:00 PM meet for dinner at Main Street Grill, Cambria
6:00 PM walk to Moonstone Beach, Cambria
7:36 PM sunset

Additional details below:
Main Street Grill
603 Main Street
Cambria, CA 93428-2341
(805) 927-3194

http://www.yelp.com/biz/main-street-grill-cambria

http://www.tripadvisor.com/Attraction_Review-g32148-d104595-Reviews-Moonstone_Beach-Cambria_California.html

mmariant Team Member Expert photography teacher Nikonian since 21st Jun 2008Mon 11-Apr-11 03:27 AM
#35. "RE: Wed shooting opportunities -> Moonstone Beach"
In response to Reply # 34

Morro Bay, US

Glad to see you corral a plan together for Wed evening. I don't think I'll be able to meet up with everyone, but maybe I'll surprise.

If anyone is familiar with SLO, the Main Street Grill in Cambria is the same as Firestone Grill in SLO. There are typically long lines, but it moves fast. The burgers and pulled-pork is very good, fry orders are huge and a salad could feed an army.

I would caution walking to Moonstone Beach and suggest driving over. It would be a bit of a walk.

If I don't see everyone on Wed evening, see you at 8am at the Big Sur California Cafe Thursday.

Cheers,
Michael

btuffli Registered since 24th Aug 2010Mon 11-Apr-11 05:50 PM
#36. "RE: "Big Sur: Coasts & Canyons" Academy Workshop Info & FAQ"
In response to Reply # 0

US

Michael
I have one more questions: Should we bring our speedlights? They are mentioned in one place.
Thanks
Barbara

mmariant Team Member Expert photography teacher Nikonian since 21st Jun 2008Mon 11-Apr-11 06:31 PM
#37. "RE: "Big Sur: Coasts & Canyons" Academy Workshop Info & FAQ"
In response to Reply # 36

Morro Bay, US

>Michael
>I have one more questions: Should we bring our speedlights?
>They are mentioned in one place.
>Thanks
>Barbara

Barbara, and all:

I did not include flashes in the list of required equipment. However, there is one location where I do a hands-on CLS tutorial for those that are interested; if you have a flash and would like to practice using it at some of the locations where it could be utilized in addition to the natural lighting, that will be whole-heartedly supported.

While this is not a CLS workshop, with an emphasis on natural lighting, there is a recognized demonstration of the use of flashes in landscape scenes and we will explore that.

mmariant Team Member Expert photography teacher Nikonian since 21st Jun 2008Mon 11-Apr-11 06:33 PM
#38. "RE: Wed shooting opportunities -> Moonstone Beach"
In response to Reply # 34

Morro Bay, US

I should have added that while there is a Moonstone Beach park just across Highway 1 from Main Street Grill, you want to continue down Moonstone Beach Drive to about across from the Fog Catcher Inn, where there is a parking area adjacent to the bluff/beach, and you can walk down to the beach.

donaldo Registered since 09th Jan 2010Tue 12-Apr-11 04:25 PM
#39. "RE: Wed shooting opportunities -> Moonstone Beach"
In response to Reply # 38

Ladera Ranch, US

I have 2 meetings tomorrow morning at my office here in Orange County before I can get on the road. If I can get away early enough (and depending upon traffic, I'll join those of you that participate in the Moonstone Beach shoot. If not, we'll see all of you Thursday morning. By the way, great thought Michael...nice way to get things started. Look forward to meeting everyone. Donald

ttt9714 Registered since 27th Feb 2011Fri 29-Apr-11 12:25 PM
#40. "Big Sur: Coasts & Canyons Workshop Recap"
In response to Reply # 0

Mountain View, US

Hello All,
I wanted to thank the entire group for a great trip to Big Sur. Despite many unplanned "challenges" we were able to maintain a positive attitude throughout the four days.

This was my first time exploring California's Central Coast, and it was also my first Nikonians Workshop. At the end of the trip I was already starting to think about when I would return to Big Sur, and when I would sign-up for my next workshop.

Although Michael will be setting up an "official" gallery soon, I was eager to start sharing a few of my favorite shots from the trip...see below.
-Michael

buhr12 Gold Member Nikonian since 05th Jan 2007Thu 19-May-11 12:00 AM
#41. "RE: Big Sur: Coasts & Canyons Workshop Recap"
In response to Reply # 40

Medford, US

Great workshop Michael did a great job of rescheduling our itinerary around landslides and highway closures. We all had an opportunity to see the Big Sur in a way that most people would miss when visiting. I will throw in a picture of McWay falls at sunset.

mmariant Team Member Expert photography teacher Nikonian since 21st Jun 2008Thu 19-May-11 03:44 PM
#42. "RE: Big Sur: Coasts & Canyons Workshop Recap"
In response to Reply # 40

Morro Bay, US

Hello Everyone!

I hope everyone has had a chance to edit their Big Sur images and are ready to post them in the Big Sur 2011 Workshop Gallery!

The link to the gallery is:
http://images.nikonians.org/galleries/showgallery.php/cat/18963

The gallery is very empty and looking pretty forlorn, so load it up with all the of the great images I saw everyone capturing during our four-day excursion.

Speaking of excursion, I want to thank everyone again for their patience and flexibility as we constantly had to adapt to the changes Mother Nature kept throwing at us. In the end, we came away with great images and didn't lose any ground in seeing the best of Big Sur (pun intended).

Again, as Dennis and Michael have done above, your feedback and comments on the workshop are greatly appreciated, not only for myself but for future participants considering the workshop. So if you could take a few moments to share your thoughts on the four-day trip, many thanks in advance.

Looking forward to seeing all of the great pictures!

Cheers,
Michael

P.S. As a footnote to our journey, I returned the very next day (via Nacimiento-Furguson Road) to pick-up the jeep. The thick fog had rolled in to Big Sur, completely blanketing the coast line for the entire day. Below is a picture of the view coming down Nacimiento-Furguson Road at about 1:00pm, just above the fog line, taken about 3/4 of the way down the road.

Also, that large slide at the south end of Big Sur, that forced our re-routing over Nacimiento-Furguson Road, is still there and Caltrans is slowly working away at it. The scope, magnitude and instability was far more than any of us realized. Caltrans hopes to have the road open by sometime in July.

donaldo Registered since 09th Jan 2010Fri 20-May-11 09:17 PM
#43. "RE: Big Sur: Coasts & Canyons Workshop Recap"
In response to Reply # 42

Ladera Ranch, US

Hello All,
Injuries (both old and new) notwithstanding, I came home from the workshop feeling like had I achieved my original goal...to become a somewhat better photographer. Despite the day-one 'splash down' that kept my camera (and especially me) a bit hobbled; and the ever-changing and challenging itinerary, I had an absolute blast and (thank you very much Michael Mariant) I also learned a lot. Randy...you kept me in stitches the entire trip (too bad we couldn't find time to jam on the guitars). Michael Webb...it was great getting to know you - I enjoyed all the camera/tech talk. And Dennis...I especially enjoyed sharing some of our old Vietnam memories/stories. Finally, Ladies...it was also great spending time with both of you. I'll put a couple of images up on the gallery, and look forward to shooting with each of you again sometime at an upcoming workshop. For now...All the Best, Don

DavidSalahi Registered since 21st Sep 2011Sat 15-Oct-11 05:04 PM
15 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#44. "RE: "Big Sur: Coasts & Canyons" Academy Workshop Info & FAQ"
In response to Reply # 0

US

Hi,
I'm interested in the April 2012 Bug Sur workshop. What's the maximum group size for this workshop?

David Salahi

Photo Blog: http://images.salahi.net/

mmariant Team Member Expert photography teacher Nikonian since 21st Jun 2008Sat 15-Oct-11 05:25 PM
#45. "RE: "Big Sur: Coasts & Canyons" Academy Workshop Info & FAQ"
In response to Reply # 44

Morro Bay, US

>Hi,
>I'm interested in the April 2012 Bug Sur workshop. What's the
>maximum group size for this workshop?
>
>David Salahi

David,

The Big Sur workshop is always kept to a maximum of 10 participants, to ensure the best possible one-on-one instructor/participant instruction possible.

Cheers,
Michael

DavidSalahi Registered since 21st Sep 2011Sat 15-Oct-11 07:15 PM
15 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#46. "RE: "Big Sur: Coasts & Canyons" Academy Workshop Info & FAQ"
In response to Reply # 45

US

Sounds great! Just signed up.
David Salahi

Photo Blog: http://images.salahi.net/

mmariant Team Member Expert photography teacher Nikonian since 21st Jun 2008Sat 15-Oct-11 08:10 PM
#47. "RE: "Big Sur: Coasts & Canyons" Academy Workshop Info & FAQ"
In response to Reply # 46

Morro Bay, US

Welcome David! I'll be starting a 2012 Big Sur workshop forum in the months ahead, that will focus specifically on the upcoming workshop.

See you in April!

Cheers,
Michael

Forums Lobby TRAVEL & GETTING TOGETHER FORUMS Nikonians Academy NA Workshops (Public) topic #1115 Previous topic | Next topic

Take the Nikonians Tour and learn more about being a Nikonian Wiki /FAQ /Help Listen to our MP3 photography radio channels Find anything on Nikon and imaging technology - fast!

Copyright © Nikonians 2000, 2014
All Rights Reserved

Nikonians®, NikoScope® and NikoniansAcademy™ are trademarks owned by Nikonians.org.
Nikon®, Nikonos® and Nikkor® are registered trademarks of Nikon Corporation.