Home Forums Articles Galleries Members Galleries Master Your Vision Galleries 5Contest Categories 5Winners Galleries 5ANPAT Galleries 5 The Winners Editor's Choice Portfolios Recent Photos Search Contest Info Help News Newsletter Join us Renew Membership About us Retrieve password Contact us Contests Vouchers Wiki Apps THE NIKONIAN™ For the press Fundraising Search Help!
More5
Chris Platt Chris Platt

Is from: Southern Maryland, US
520 posts

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author
Chris Platt Registered since 30th Sep 2012
Thu 24-Jan-13 06:15 PM
I just downloaded Photo Ninja to give it a try. Their advertising is right - wow! A very impressive product. It is going to give other raw converters some real competition. I had just started migrating to Light Room from Aperture, but I'm being really tempted by Photo Ninja.

Visit my gallery.

esantos esantos

Is from: McAllen, US
15330 posts

#1. "RE: Photo Ninja" | In response to Reply # 0

esantos Gold Member Nikonians Resources Writer. Recognized for his outstanding reviews on printers and printing ... Awarded for his high level of expertise in various areas, including Landscape Photography Awarded for his extraordinary accomplishments in Landscape Photography. His work has been ex... Winner of the Best of Nikonians Images 2018 Annual Photo Contest Nikonian since 10th Nov 2002
Thu 24-Jan-13 11:27 PM
Hi Chris,

Your experiences are very similar to my tests of the product. I have my review of Photo Ninja with some timely information from PictureCode posted on our Resources page.

Ernesto Santos
esartprints.com Ernesto Santos Photography
Get my new e-Book "Churches of Texas"

See my portfolio.

mklass mklass

Is from: Bremerton, US
18216 posts

#2. "RE: Photo Ninja" | In response to Reply # 1

mklass Platinum Member As a semi-professional involved in all manner of photographic genres including portraiture, ... Donor Ribbon awarded for his generous support to the Fundraising Campaign 2014 Ribbon awarded for his most generous donation in 2017 Ribbon awarded for his very generous support to the 2017 fundraising campaign Donor Ribbon awarded for the most generous contribution to the 2015 campaign Donor Ribbon awarded for the extraordinary generous contribution to the 2016 campaign Donor Ribbon awarded for the most generous contribution to the 2016 campaign Nikonian since 08th Dec 2006
Fri 25-Jan-13 12:11 AM
Does Photo Ninja allow the use of any Photoshop or LR compatible plug-ins?

Mick
http://www.mickklassphoto.com
or
Visit my nikonians gallery
jrp jrp

Is from: San Pedro Garza García, MX
46140 posts

#3. "RE: Photo Ninja" | In response to Reply # 2

jrp Administrator JRP is one of the two co-founders of Nikonians and has in-depth knowledge in many photograph... Awarded for his contributions for the Resources Charter Member
Fri 25-Jan-13 05:02 AM
They are finishing the plug-ins as we speak

Have a great time! 😉
JRP
Founder & Administrator. Mainly at the north-eastern Mexican desert Gallery, My Portfolio
Please join the Silver, Gold and Platinum members who help this happen; upgrade
You want to do more for Nikonians? Please Donate here, we need your help.
You want to further improve your images? Visit the Post for Critique and Advanced Advice forums.

esantos esantos

15330 posts

#4. "RE: Photo Ninja" | In response to Reply # 2

esantos Gold Member Nikonians Resources Writer. Recognized for his outstanding reviews on printers and printing ... Awarded for his high level of expertise in various areas, including Landscape Photography Awarded for his extraordinary accomplishments in Landscape Photography. His work has been ex... Winner of the Best of Nikonians Images 2018 Annual Photo Contest Nikonian since 10th Nov 2002
Fri 25-Jan-13 02:28 PM
Mick,

As JRP pointed out a Photoshop Plug-In is in process as I write this. It should be out in the weeks to come. For now Photo Ninja does read the metadata rating and categorizing tags from LR, Aperture, and Photo Mechanic.

Ernesto Santos

See my portfolio.

mklass mklass

18216 posts

#5. "RE: Photo Ninja" | In response to Reply # 4

mklass Platinum Member As a semi-professional involved in all manner of photographic genres including portraiture, ... Donor Ribbon awarded for his generous support to the Fundraising Campaign 2014 Ribbon awarded for his most generous donation in 2017 Ribbon awarded for his very generous support to the 2017 fundraising campaign Donor Ribbon awarded for the most generous contribution to the 2015 campaign Donor Ribbon awarded for the extraordinary generous contribution to the 2016 campaign Donor Ribbon awarded for the most generous contribution to the 2016 campaign Nikonian since 08th Dec 2006
Fri 25-Jan-13 04:57 PM
Hmmm... I guess I wasn't clear. I'm not interested in using Photo Ninja as a plug-in within Photoshop. I was wondering if you can use PS/LR compatible plug-ins within Photo Ninja.

I am spoiled by the integration of ColorEfex Pro into Capture NX2.

Mick
or
esantos esantos

15330 posts

#6. "RE: Photo Ninja" | In response to Reply # 5

Fri 25-Jan-13 05:16 PM
Oh okay, no, not at this time. Photo Ninja is more a dedicated raw converter a la ACR with Noise Ninja built in. It is still early in its development as version 1 but I think it has a LOT of potential. It can already do some pretty amazing things with your NEFs. Just as LR was a breath of fresh air in version 1 and now it has really blossomed into a very powerful program. I hope Photo Ninja will develop along the same path.

Ernesto Santos

See my portfolio.

Chris Platt Chris Platt

520 posts

#7. "RE: Photo Ninja" | In response to Reply # 0

Sat 26-Jan-13 11:24 AM | edited Sat 26-Jan-13 11:39 AM by Chris Platt
I thought I'd post a few comparison images. I'm still figuring out how to use Photo Ninja and it does have limitations that I keep discovering - like limiting file size and quality selections when rendering jpgs. It gives you a limited number of drop down choices instead of sliders or options to enter % quality or specific sizes. At least I haven't discovered another way to do it yet. Also haven't found a spot heal tool yet (which makes me wish I'd blown off the sensor this morning).

Anyway, I snapped a few images at the feeder this morning with my Sigma 50-500 and then converted the same raw files in both LR and Photo Ninja. I tried to get them as close as I could. There is a three dimensional "feel" that is easily achieved with Photo Ninja - it's very difficult to achieve the same effect in LR (at least for me). I may be able to get close in Aperture and I'll try that in a bit.

Lightroom

Click on image to view larger version

Photo Ninja

Lightroom

Photo Ninja

Attachment#1 (jpg file)
Attachment#2 (jpg file)
Attachment#3 (jpg file)
Attachment#4 (jpg file)

Visit my gallery.

mklass mklass

18216 posts

#8. "RE: Photo Ninja" | In response to Reply # 7

Sat 26-Jan-13 11:28 AM
Pretty impressive, Chris. I see what you mean about the 3-D "feel".

I should probably find some time to do a trial on this, but it sounds like V2 will be better fleshed out.

Mick
or
Chris Platt Chris Platt

520 posts

#9. "RE: Photo Ninja" | In response to Reply # 8

Sat 26-Jan-13 07:05 PM | edited Sat 26-Jan-13 07:06 PM by Chris Platt
V2 will undoubtedly fill in some holes. The only thing I really don't want to live without is some sort of spot healing tool. If they could duplicate the one in Aperture, which I think is leaps and bounds better than Lightroom's, I'll be completely sold. I don't mind stepping out to do more elaborate manipulation.

Second attempt today to produce equivalent images with Lightroom and Photo Ninja. Tried a cardinal this time. Cardinals, IMO, are one of the toughest subjects - it is too easy to blow the red channel if you get the least bit aggressive with any contrast/saturation/presence type sliders. I gave up trying to do it with this guy in Aperture. I couldn't get close to the Photo Ninja results without turning him into a red blob. Lightroom and Photo Ninja handle him much better. Photo Ninja lets you get away with murder - it may even make it too easy. It requires restraint to keep from pushing an image too far (I'm thinking the cardinal is just a tad over the edge for my taste).

(This one was with the 800mm Sigma)

Lightroom

Photo Ninja

Attachment#1 (jpg file)
Attachment#2 (jpg file)

Visit my gallery.

#10. "RE: Photo Ninja" | In response to Reply # 9

Sun 27-Jan-13 07:39 AM
This is really interesting and I am wondering what Ninja would be like with my Egret images where the highlight can really get blown unless I dial in at least -0.3 to 0.7 AV in camera. The differences posted here certainly seem to make quite a difference.

That said, in terms of pure image sharpness I achieve great success by reducing my D800 full size RAW image to 16Mp in Lightroom.

I think I shall have to download a trial.

Richard
Chris Platt Chris Platt

520 posts

#11. "RE: Photo Ninja" | In response to Reply # 10

Sun 27-Jan-13 09:36 AM
Give it a try Richard. I think you will be impressed.

Bright plumage is such a challenge. With a long lens, it's a real balancing act between high ISOs to keep the shutter speed up while at the same time, trying to hold the ISO down to achieve maximum dynamic range. Take a D800 to ISO 1600 and you've reduced the dynamic range by 27% and you're blowing highlights. A program like Photo Ninja that seems to be able to recover more detail out of the highlights is very helpful. I don't know how they've done it, but they have some very impressive algorithms.

Visit my gallery.

#12. "RE: Photo Ninja" | In response to Reply # 11

Sun 27-Jan-13 10:26 AM | edited Sun 27-Jan-13 10:29 AM by richardd300
Thanks Chris

What I intend to do is wait a few days or a week to try and get out to capture images where Ninja would help with highlights. The trial period is only two weeks and I would like to give it a real try as it's not the most cost effective software at $129. In fact it's only a few dollars short of Lightroom 4! If it does the job then it's worth it.

Richard
mklass mklass

18216 posts

#13. "RE: Photo Ninja" | In response to Reply # 12

Sun 27-Jan-13 10:33 AM
A discount on this product would be a nice addition to the Nikonians Reward Program! (hint, hint, hint...)

Wasn't there a Noise Ninja discount at one time?

Mick
or

#14. "RE: Photo Ninja" | In response to Reply # 13

Sun 27-Jan-13 10:43 AM | edited Sun 27-Jan-13 10:43 AM by richardd300
I think the best plan is to enrol on a College photography course and use the receipt to buy student CS6extended $178 instead of $1371), Photo Ninja (50% discount)and all the plug-ins one needs. I did exactly that 3 years ago with CS5, Lightroom etc, etc. and saved an absolute fortune. Also, it all totally legal.

Richard
Kidkett Kidkett

Is from: Campo, US
445 posts

#15. "RE: Photo Ninja" | In response to Reply # 9

Kidkett Donor Ribbon awarded for his support to the Fundraising Campaign 2014 Registered since 08th Apr 2010
Sat 23-Feb-13 02:26 AM
Hi Chris,

I was looking at your bird pictures that I like and would like your commit if this version is over the edge as you put it. I am trying to learn more with my own processing of my own pictures. I would like any commits you have.

Thanks,
Bill

Attachment#1 (jpg file)

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

Chris Platt Chris Platt

520 posts

#16. "RE: Photo Ninja" | In response to Reply # 15

Sun 03-Mar-13 09:23 AM
I don't think it is over the edge with respect to sharpening, but the red channels are definitely clipped around the eyes/head.

Did you try to make adjustments on one of the images I posted here? If so, it would be better to start with the raw file. I'll be happy to provide it if you want experiment.

Visit my gallery.

Kidkett Kidkett

445 posts

#17. "RE: Photo Ninja" | In response to Reply # 16

Kidkett Donor Ribbon awarded for his support to the Fundraising Campaign 2014 Registered since 08th Apr 2010
Sun 03-Mar-13 07:31 PM
Chris I just used the picture off this post as I didn't have the NEF file. I would like to processe the NEF file to see what I can do with it and let you know how I did. That small JPEG file doesn't have a lot to work with.

Thanks,
Bill

Chris Platt Chris Platt

520 posts

#18. "RE: Photo Ninja" | In response to Reply # 17

Sun 03-Mar-13 08:44 PM

Visit my gallery.

Kidkett Kidkett

445 posts

#19. "RE: Photo Ninja" | In response to Reply # 18

Mon 04-Mar-13 07:11 AM
Hi Chris,

You sent a different picture this time but I edited one in Capture NX2 with Nik’s Efex 3.0, one in Onone Suites 7 and one in Ninja. I like the one edited with Capture NX2, but I must say I was really impressed with Ninja and need to use it more. Although there is some tool missing and if you could add plug-in I would use it.

Wow I was just going to upload off a flash drive on my laptop and was the colors so far off, I really need to calibrate both my computers and wonder what my pictures look like on someone’s else’s computer. Although when I send them to be printed they come back great. But here they are from my desktop in the order above.

Thanks for sharing,
Bill

Capture NX2

OnOne Suites 7

Ninja
Attachment#1 (jpg file)
Attachment#2 (jpg file)
Attachment#3 (jpg file)

Bob Chadwick Bob Chadwick

Is from: Norcross, US
3238 posts

#20. "RE: Photo Ninja" | In response to Reply # 19

Bob Chadwick Silver Member Winner of a Best of Nikonians Annual Photo Contest  Nikonian since 12th Jan 2006
Mon 04-Mar-13 09:14 AM
I use Noise Ninja for noise and would use Photo Capture the same way. Is there any improvement in the processing that would justify the addition cost.

Visit
My Nikonians Gallery
NorcrossPics on Instagram

Chris Platt Chris Platt

520 posts

#21. "RE: Photo Ninja" | In response to Reply # 20

Mon 04-Mar-13 09:53 AM
Bob,

Not if you're just going to use if for noise correction. The program clearly has some unique algorithms for demosaicing, exposure and detail adjustment, and sharpening. I love the way it processes those. It also has some weaknesses that keep it from being used alone - no retouch or spot adjustment tool and limitations on the size for rendered jpg files. You have to live with a choice of preset jpg pixel dimensions, i.e., you can specify that pixel dimensions that are 1/2, 1/4, 1/8, etc., the original dimensions, but you can't tell it that you want a file to be exactly 1000 or 1200 pixels wide or high (makes it difficult to save a file directly for display on Nikonians).

Visit my gallery.

Bob Chadwick Bob Chadwick

Is from: Norcross, US
3238 posts

#22. "RE: Photo Ninja" | In response to Reply # 21

Bob Chadwick Silver Member Winner of a Best of Nikonians Annual Photo Contest  Nikonian since 12th Jan 2006
Mon 04-Mar-13 09:58 AM
Thanks Chris. I have too much vested in LR to make the change to another intake program. I like Noise Ninja and will continue to use it for that function.

Bob

Visit
My Nikonians Gallery
NorcrossPics on Instagram

Chris Platt Chris Platt

520 posts

#23. "RE: Photo Ninja" | In response to Reply # 19

Mon 04-Mar-13 10:21 AM
The Photo Ninja one is clearly better and underscores my point that it is much easier to get the result you're looking for in Photo Ninja - at least with wildlife. I won't judge the others because I am at my work computer and the monitor is not good with graphics.

Visit my gallery.

Kidkett Kidkett

445 posts

#24. "RE: Photo Ninja" | In response to Reply # 23

Tue 05-Mar-13 02:41 AM
Your right Chris about the third picture as all the detail it pulled out of the bird is great. For some reason I thought the color was off, but looking at it some more that is probably the color of the bird and did a better job than the others. I am going to have to buy or get the two week trial so I can export some pictures out of it. Love to have that lens of yours.

Bill

Chris Platt Chris Platt

520 posts

#25. "RE: Photo Ninja" | In response to Reply # 24

Tue 05-Mar-13 10:06 AM
Thanks Bill. That lens loves birds.

Visit my gallery.

jrp jrp

46140 posts

#26. "RE: Photo Ninja" | In response to Reply # 25

jrp Administrator JRP is one of the two co-founders of Nikonians and has in-depth knowledge in many photograph... Awarded for his contributions for the Resources Charter Member
Wed 06-Mar-13 01:33 AM | edited Wed 06-Mar-13 01:52 AM by jrp
Chris.
You are right about the incredible detail it can bring out.
Not only that, the subtle tones are also brought up, like the gold sunlight of a sunset in the ridges of stones.
It is absolutely amazing.

I also discovered that in my laptop the default program called up from the desktop shortcut was the 32 bit version, and not the 64.
Once I switched to the 64 version it was flying and allowing me to see immediately any small change done via the sliders.

We knew it was very good to start with, but it is now rendering my images in color, tone and detail that were not that easy to accomplish with other software, if at all possible.

I never read manuals, sorry; but now that I've dedicated some time to read the easy to understand tutorials, it has quite a handful of sub-surface treasures. The one click application of the integrated Noise Ninja, the exchange/transfer of settings/profiles, non-RAW image editing made simple, and more.

Another version was already released (v1.0.4c) and they have another one almost ready (v1.0.5), maybe for final (non-beta) release by the end of this month.
The improvements on image quality, the streamlining of the user interface and workflow improvements are more than remarkable.

Have a great time! 😉
JRP
Founder & Administrator. Mainly at the north-eastern Mexican desert Gallery, My Portfolio
You want to further improve your images? Visit the Post for Critique and Advanced Advice forums.

Chris Platt Chris Platt

520 posts

#27. "RE: Photo Ninja" | In response to Reply # 26

Wed 06-Mar-13 01:33 PM | edited Wed 06-Mar-13 01:33 PM by Chris Platt
JRP,

Yes, I'm using 1.1.0 beta with PhotoShop plugins. I now have it set to execute instead of ACR when I open a raw file in PS or Bridge. Loving it more than ever. It almost feels as though you can reach out and touch an animal when it is done with its magic. I'm a convert.

Attachment#1 (jpg file)

Visit my gallery.

jrp jrp

46140 posts

#28. "RE: Photo Ninja" | In response to Reply # 27

Thu 07-Mar-13 03:02 AM
Great shot and rendering.

Have a great time! 😉
JRP

Kidkett Kidkett

445 posts

#29. "RE: Photo Ninja" | In response to Reply # 27

Thu 07-Mar-13 05:02 AM
Hi Chris,

I can't quit playing with it. How do you like this version, is it too over the top?

Bill

Attachment#1 (jpg file)

Chris Platt Chris Platt

520 posts

#30. "RE: Photo Ninja" | In response to Reply # 29

Thu 07-Mar-13 09:56 AM
A striking image, but yes, a little over the top with saturation. It's a Maryland white tail, not a red stag.

It's easy to push the slider a tad too far.

Visit my gallery.

jdroach jdroach

Is from: Richmond, US
13575 posts

#31. "RE: Photo Ninja" | In response to Reply # 15

Devon Weddings

Is from: UK
7 posts

#32. "RE: Photo Ninja" | In response to Reply # 31

Devon Weddings Registered since 17th Mar 2013
Tue 19-Mar-13 09:15 AM
Thanks for the examples posted - most helpful
Michael_Sexton Michael_Sexton

Is from: Lakeland, US
144 posts

#33. "RE: Photo Ninja" | In response to Reply # 31

Michael_Sexton Registered since 25th Nov 2006
Fri 05-Apr-13 06:42 PM
I downloaded PN this morning to give it a spin. I find it very easy to use and gives excellent results. I profiled my D600 for noise and light sources with my ColorChecker Passport and am very pleased with the results. I do miss a few of the features as mentioned above as well as being able to resize then sharpen.

http://farm9.staticflickr.com/8099/8623394598_fe263ded68_o.jpg

Michael Sexton
Montana Nikonian

danshep danshep

Is from: Olympia, US
3839 posts

#34. "RE: Photo Ninja" | In response to Reply # 33

danshep Platinum Member Charter Member
Thu 16-May-13 03:47 PM

An enthusiastic subject is always half the photographic battle.

"Today is the tomorrow that yesterday you spent money like there was no"

G