New webinar coming up: Best of Nikonians annual review, 28-MAR-2024 4PM EST (for all members on Silver level and higher) >>> More info

X

Home Forums Articles Galleries Members Galleries Master Your Vision Galleries 5Contest Categories 5Winners Galleries 5ANPAT Galleries 5 The Winners Editor's Choice Portfolios Recent Photos Search Contest Info Help News Newsletter Join us Renew Membership About us Retrieve password Contact us Contests Vouchers Wiki Apps THE NIKONIAN™ For the press Fundraising Search Help!
More5

Fine image detail in a D600 NEF - NX2 versus DxO Optics Pro?

KolinP KolinP

Is from: Weston-super-Mare, UK
256 posts

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author
KolinP Silver Member Donor Ribbon awarded for his support to the Fundraising Campaign 2014 Nikonian since 12th May 2006
Tue 18-Dec-12 03:32 PM
Hello fellow Nikonians,

One of the "DxO Staff" on the DxO Optics Pro forum, Andy_F, has posted a proud claim that "Only DxO 8.1 seems able to extract the high resolution detail contained in the Nikon D600 NEF.", and he offers us a sample NEF file plus three full-size JPEG images, which he created in turn from DxO Optics Pro (DOP), from LightRoom (LR) and from Capture NX2 (CNX2).

Well, I don't own a D600, and I don't use LR, but I'm convinced that his sample-JPEG from his CNX2-rendered D600 NEF file does not do justice to CNX2 at all!! In fact, his CNX2-rendered JPEG is in my opinion a rather poor example of what CNX2 can deliver ... so I took up his challenge (whether it was an implied challenge or a deliberate one) and I've posted a response to his claim, with (IMO) my own much better CNX2-rendered JPEG for comparison.

Perhaps other Nikonians could do an even better job than I did with that D600 NEF image!? If you're interested, and if you feel like defending and/or comparing CNX2 against DOP version 8.1 or against LR, then pop over to the DxO Forum at:

DxO Version 8.1 for Nikon D600 (w Preset)

My versions of the NEF (with all my edit-steps on-board) & my final JPG are linked as downloadable files in my DxO Forum post.

Now ... my inner cynic is wondering if I've just been well and truly hooked by a clever bit of gently-provocative marketing by Andy_F leading (I suspect?) to my politely determined response to his "DxO" challenge, and now to this rallying-call here to my fellow Nikonians (in my sometimes neglected but still my natural 'home' Forum) !!

Anyway, CNX2 continues to be a well respected and perfectly viable RAW processor, and I hope I've helped to correct a misleading impression about its capabilities that were being tarnished by (actually) a genuinely nice chap called Andy_F, who I fear harbours a slightly myopic optimism about his favoured DxO Optics Pro RAW processing tool! Either that, or I should instead compliment Andy_F on a clever advertising ploy!!

Which is it, do you think?!

Colin P
--
Staying busy is easy. Setting priorities is harder!
My Nikonians gallery
My other photo sites
walkerr walkerr

Is from: Colorado Springs, US
17638 posts

#1. "RE: Fine image detail in a D600 NEF - NX2 versus DxO Optics Pro?" | In response to Reply # 0

walkerr Awarded for his con tributed articles published at the Resources Awarded for his in-depth knowledge in multiple areas Master Ribbon awarded as a member who has gone beyond technical knowledge to show mastery of... Donor Ribbon awarded for his most generous support to the Fundraising Campaign 2015 Donor Ribbon awarded for the generous contribution to the 2014 campaign Registered since 05th May 2002
Tue 18-Dec-12 04:12 PM
All three programs will produce high-quality, finely detailed results if used properly. That usually means not using the default settings. Personally, I wouldn't worry about it.

Rick Walker

My photos:

GeoVista Photography

GiantTristan GiantTristan

Is from: Stamford, US
3080 posts

#2. "RE: Fine image detail in a D600 NEF - NX2 versus DxO Optics Pro?" | In response to Reply # 1

GiantTristan Registered since 08th Jan 2006
Thu 20-Dec-12 11:54 AM
>All three programs will produce high-quality, finely detailed
>results if used properly. That usually means not using the
>default settings. Personally, I wouldn't worry about it.

I completely agree. It is quite useless to argue which program is "best".
I have all three programs. If a particular camera/lens module is available, I use DxO, often in combination with LR4. If there exists no DxO module, I just use LR4 and its lens adjustments. Again, this is a purely personal choice.

Tristan
Visit my Nikonians gallery

glennaa11

Is from: Arlington, US
449 posts

#3. "RE: Fine image detail in a D600 NEF - NX2 versus DxO Optics Pro?" | In response to Reply # 0

glennaa11 Registered since 27th Aug 2004
Tue 08-Jan-13 01:47 PM | edited Tue 08-Jan-13 01:48 PM by glennaa11
Unfortunately if you want to use DxO Optics Pro with your D600 you have to shell out the big bucks for the "elite" version. The standard version is not compatible with D600. Something I just learned the hard way. I like the software, but not enough to spend another $100 to upgrade from the standard version.

Glenn
http://picasaweb.google.com/GlennAuve
https://images.nikonians.org/galleries/showgallery.php/ppuser/71182/cat/500

G