Home Forums Articles Galleries Members Galleries Master Your Vision Galleries 5Contest Categories 5Winners Galleries 5ANPAT Galleries 5 The Winners Editor's Choice Portfolios Recent Photos Search Contest Info Help News Newsletter Join us Renew Membership About us Retrieve password Contact us Contests Vouchers Wiki Apps THE NIKONIAN™ For the press Fundraising Search Help!
More5

Capture NX2 - could not save file

briantilley briantilley

Is from: Paignton, UK
30433 posts

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author
briantilley Silver Member Deep knowledge of bodies and lens; high level photography skills Donor Ribbon awarded for his support to the Fundraising Campaign 2014 Nikonian since 26th Jan 2003
Thu 12-Nov-09 10:55 AM | edited Thu 12-Nov-09 10:56 AM by briantilley
I'm getting an odd error message from Capture NX 2.2.2.

I have a date-based file structure containing all my image files. When I open an image file from one particular folder from July 2007 in NX2, edit it, and attempt to Save As, I get an error message in a pop-up box:

Alert(2)
Could not save file

The same happens with any of the files in that folder (I tried about 10); they are all JPEG's from a D2Xs. I can't save them back in the same folder or in another folder. It makes no difference whether any editing is done or not, nor does it matter whether I'm trying to save the image with a new name or the original.

I tried copying one of the files to a new folder, and also opening a file with MSPaint and saving it in the new folder with a new name (which worked OK, incidentally). When I then open the copied/moved file in NX2 it still will not save it, so it looks to me that it's something to do with the files and NX2 rather than the folder itself.

Files from other folders in that same month are OK and can be saved by NX2 as normal, as can files from all other folders that I have tried.

I've also tried clearing NX2 cache, and re-starting the PC. The PC is running 32-bit Vista, by the way.

I'm stumped! Any ideas...?

Thanks in advance.

Brian
Welsh Nikonian

#1. "RE: Capture NX2 - could not save file" | In response to Reply # 0

Thu 12-Nov-09 11:27 AM
These are edge cases but two things come to mind: one is that there might be a character that's not allowed somehow getting into the file name (like a slash or colon). The other is more likely and that is the file path may be too long. Can you save it to c:\ and it work? If so, it may be the path was too long.
briantilley briantilley

30433 posts

#2. "RE: Capture NX2 - could not save file" | In response to Reply # 1

briantilley Silver Member Deep knowledge of bodies and lens; high level photography skills Donor Ribbon awarded for his support to the Fundraising Campaign 2014 Nikonian since 26th Jan 2003
Thu 12-Nov-09 11:38 AM
Thanks for the suggestions, Neil.

I tried saving to the root directory of my data drive (D:\) with a filename of Test.jpg - still the same result.

Brian
Welsh Nikonian

briantilley briantilley

30433 posts

#3. "RE: Capture NX2 - could not save file" | In response to Reply # 0

Thu 12-Nov-09 11:42 AM | edited Thu 12-Nov-09 11:49 AM by briantilley
After thinking about it while walking the dog and doing some more checking, it's not actually connected with any one folder at all; it's the camera type...

I can't save ANY file created by the D2Xs I owned for a year or two. Files from my D200 and the subsequent D300 and D700 are OK, as are files from my wifes original D70 and current D80. I've been able to edit and save these files in the past, but that was using PS Elements; I only converted to NX2 a few months ago, and this is probably the first time I've tried to re-access these older files.

Edited to add... Interesting - I just tried opening in NX2 a file from the D2Xs that I'd previously edited in PSE4, and was able to re-save it OK.

I presume there aren't any known compatibility issues between D2Xs files and Capture NX 2.2.2 ?

What else could I check...?

Thanks again.

Brian
Welsh Nikonian

briantilley briantilley

30433 posts

#4. "RE: Capture NX2 - could not save file" | In response to Reply # 0

Thu 12-Nov-09 06:35 PM | edited Thu 12-Nov-09 06:38 PM by briantilley
Well, this is getting most odd. First, a bit more background...

I migrated to a new PC running Vista 32 bit earlier this year. Prior to that, my old PC was running XP. On the old PC (for various reasons) I used only PSE4 for post-processing. All my image files on the old machine were copied to the internal hard disk using a card reader, ingested into the PSE4 catalogue, and had keywords added. Every file, whether edited or not, was re-written to the internal hard disk by PSE4, then backed-up using XP to an external hard disk.

When I migrated PC's, I copied the folder structure and all image files from the external hard disk to the new machine's internal hard disk. Now I'm running only View NX and Capture NX2, so I didn't migrate the PSE4 catalogue across.

Anyway, whilst playing around and trying different things, I have just found that, if I open one of the same D2Xs files in ViewNX, either add a new keyword or delete an existing keyword, then open the file in Capture NX2, NX2 will save it as normal

I don't understand why doing that with the keywords makes a difference, nor do I understand why files from my other cameras (which all had keywords too) don't seem to suffer the same problem.

So I guess I have a usable workaround, but if anyone has a bright idea about what might be going on and why, I'd love to hear it...!

Thanks again.

Brian
Welsh Nikonian

jimsanders jimsanders

Is from: Buffalo, US
972 posts

#5. "RE: Capture NX2 - could not save file" | In response to Reply # 0

jimsanders Registered since 25th Mar 2008
Thu 12-Nov-09 06:38 PM | edited Thu 12-Nov-09 06:49 PM by jimsanders
Brian - Check out this Nikon Tech post.

Unfortunately there is no date on the answer so I can't tell how current it is.

Edit: Oops, never mind. I just noticed you are working with JPEGs, not NEFs.

#6. "RE: Capture NX2 - could not save file" | In response to Reply # 4

Wed 18-Aug-10 04:40 AM
Hello, Were there any final thoughts or resolution on this elderly thread, as a newcomer to the site I have just found it?

I often get this message but I have had it with Vista/7 32 bit and 64 bit.
Also happens with D200 & 700 and so I do not think it camera or OS specific.
I have done as (I think it was) the very nice Jason Odell suggested somewhere (sorry cant remember where) and 'cleared the cache folder' to no avail.
It is not in my case specific to file ext either have tried with JPG/NEF/TIF

In my case the problem usually goes away if I cancel NX2 for some minutes then try again.

Hard to trace because it will eventually work OK even with the same image that originally failed to save.

I have read on the web the other people actually lose their NEF ie it is deleted but I have not had that problem.
briantilley briantilley

30433 posts

#7. "RE: Capture NX2 - could not save file" | In response to Reply # 6

Wed 18-Aug-10 04:57 AM
Hi, David.

Even after some further investigation, I couldn't find the underlying reason for this particular problem.

When I need to work on one of my older JPEG files in CaptureNX 2, I just add or delete a keyword first in ViewNX. I still don't know why it makes a difference, but I've got used to it now...

Brian
Welsh Nikonian

#8. "RE: Capture NX2 - could not save file" | In response to Reply # 7

Thu 19-Aug-10 06:40 AM
Hi, One thought occured to me thinking about your problem; I noticed that you appear not to have upgraded to 2.2.4? Maybe worth a try.

Best of luck.
jrp jrp

Is from: San Pedro Garza García, MX
46140 posts

#9. "RE: Capture NX2 - could not save file" | In response to Reply # 5

jrp Administrator JRP is one of the two co-founders of Nikonians and has in-depth knowledge in many photograph... Awarded for his contributions for the Resources Charter Member
Thu 19-Aug-10 02:45 PM | edited Thu 19-Aug-10 02:51 PM by jrp
I had a similar problem, unable to save.
The apparent reason: I was uploading directly from a card and not in the high speed USB hub (slow reading and even slower writing), and I was running out of RAM after a long day's session at Nikonians plus some related work with some ten to 12 windows up and running, on my PC.

Solution:
a) Upload the card images from the card into my giant and fast images dedicated drive -as usual- and restart the machine.
b) Upgrade ViewNX to VieNX2
c) Upgrade Capture NX2 v2.2.2 to v2.2.4

Have a great time! 😉
JRP
Founder & Administrator. Mainly at the north-eastern Mexican desert Gallery, My Portfolio
Please join the Silver, Gold and Platinum members who help this happen; upgrade
You want to do more for Nikonians? Please Donate here, we need your help.
You want to further improve your images? Visit the Post for Critique and Advanced Advice forums.

hrbaan hrbaan

Is from: Kockengen, NL
1370 posts

#10. "RE: Capture NX2 - could not save file" | In response to Reply # 0

hrbaan Registered since 29th Oct 2005
Fri 20-Aug-10 07:44 AM
Hmm, interesting problem!

If you'd like you could send such a file to me to see if I can reproduce your problem (I'm on a Mac) and perhaps even find a simpler solution to it.

Note: my guess is your file somehow is "corrupted" (or at least looks that way to CNX2), and adding a keyword in ViewNX, this "corruption" is actually removed…

Cheers,

Hayo Baan – Photography
e-mail: info@hayobaan.nl
Web: http://www.hayobaan.nl
glxman glxman

Is from: South Australia, AU
20788 posts

#11. "RE: Capture NX2 - could not save file" | In response to Reply # 0

glxman Moderator Awarded for his high level skills, specially in Wildlife & Landscape Photography Donor Ribbon awarded for the contribution to the 2016 campaign Nikonian since 04th Oct 2008
Fri 20-Aug-10 08:26 AM
Hi Brian,
The only time I have seen this problem was from a friends corrupt files,

After a bit of "NCIS" work, I found out he had removed his SD card from the computer, but, "not safely"

With your skill and years of experience I would say that is not the case here but it could be corrupt files from a "dodgy" card,

Regards,
Gary

My Nikonians Gallery

I used to have a photographic memory but never got it developed

#12. "RE: Capture NX2 - could not save file" | In response to Reply # 0

Sat 15-Dec-12 06:38 PM
I just receive the error message in Capture NX2 ..... (Alert 7-Could not save file) when I tried to save an adjusted image taken with my (new to me) D800 camera in Capture NX2.

Yesterday I could save this same image file just fine.

Here is what I have:
Windows 7_32 bit using Capture NX2 2.2.3

Capture NX2 saves all images from my D700 and D300s camera.
All I shoot is NEF files.

So for this image, I changed the name of the file and saved it as a NEF. I received the message......'could not save.'

I then saved as a JPEG using the original title. That worked.
Then I saved as a TIFF using the original titles. That worked.
Then I opened the TIFF in NX2 and saved as a NEF under the same title (after deleting the original NEF pic) and that worked.

So what is going on here? I have no idea and as I said....yesterday I had no problems changing and then saving NEF pics taken with the D800.
So I have to say, I feel the D800 has something to do with the problem.
Perry

#13. "RE: Capture NX2 - could not save file" | In response to Reply # 12

Sat 15-Dec-12 10:11 PM
Well, I guess I solved my problem.
I had downloaded the D800 pics from the CF card using Nikon TransferNX.
This must have corrupted the files and they could not be saved after doing an edit.

So I uninstalled Nikon TransferNX and then installed the latest ViewNX2 version (2.6.0 I think it was) and the result is that I can now edit and save NEF files shot with the D800 in Capture NX2.
Problem solved.
Perry

G