Go to a  "printer friendly" view of this message which allow an easy print Printer-friendly copy Go to the page which allows you to send this topic link and a message to a friend Email this topic to a friend
Forums Lobby MASTER YOUR TOOLS - Hardware & Software Digital postprocessing & workflow (Public) topic #66947
View in threaded mode

Subject: "Moving on from view nx2" Previous topic | Next topic
Jimmychia Registered since 11th Jul 2012Wed 07-Nov-12 04:43 PM
3 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
"Moving on from view nx2"

cincinnati, US

I've been using view nx2 for a while now. Im looking for a new software which is faster, has photo stacking,has watermarking ability and as easy to use as view nx2. Any advice? Thank you.

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

Alert Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic
ericbowles Moderator Awarded for his in-depth knowledge and high level skills in various areas, especially Landscape and Wildlife Photoghraphy Writer Ribbon awarded for for his article contributions to the community Nikonian since 25th Nov 2005Sat 10-Nov-12 02:22 PM
8513 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#1. "RE: Moving on from view nx2"
In response to Reply # 0

Atlanta, US

There are essentially two paths - an Adobe centric path or a Nikon centric path.

If you want to stay with the Nikon centric path, Photo Mechanic and Capture NX2 would be the likely choices. Capture NX2 is the advanced editor. I use it for 3-5% of my total images - just my selects. It handled 99% of my edits and maintains those edits in a single file - the NEF. Like View, it honors your camera settings. It is a very good editor with the key features being selective editing and control points. Any editing step can be quickly and easily applied to any portion of the image you desire. I use Photo Mechanic for ingesting, conversion to JPEG, and watermarking.

If you head down the Adobe centric path, the starting point is Lightroom. Lightroom started as a catalog but has become a good full function editor. It maintains the edits in the original NEF, provides some selective editing, and works well with most plugins that work with Photoshop. It has increasingly become the choice over Photoshop. Like Capture, it would handle 98-99% of your editing needs.

There are pros on cons on each. Nikon programs honor camera settings while Adobe has its own very close interpretation. Adobe is much more open to plugins. Lightroom and Photoshop require periodic upgrades - much more often than Nikon, so they end up costing a little more. And the Nikon/Nik relationship has changed and we don't know what kind of updates will follow.

Either way, the programs are solid and will handle most of your needs. There are always other programs used for specialty applications - HDR, stacking, some cloning, etc. I imagine 85+% of photographers use Lightroom - almost all the Canon shooters, most of the Photoshop users (due to evolution and learning curve), and a majority of the remaining Nikon users. And there are plenty of other products, but It's pretty safe to narrow your choice to these two paths unless you have a really compelling reason.

Eric Bowles
Nikonians Team
My Gallery
Workshops

Nikonians membership — my most important photographic investment, after the camera

Alert Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Forums Lobby MASTER YOUR TOOLS - Hardware & Software Digital postprocessing & workflow (Public) topic #66947 Previous topic | Next topic

Take the Nikonians Tour and learn more about being a Nikonian Wiki /FAQ /Help Listen to our MP3 photography radio channels Find anything on Nikon and imaging technology - fast!

Copyright © Nikonians 2000, 2014
All Rights Reserved

Nikonians®, NikoScope® and NikoniansAcademy™ are trademarks owned by Nikonians.org.
Nikon®, Nikonos® and Nikkor® are registered trademarks of Nikon Corporation.