Go to a  "printer friendly" view of this message which allow an easy print Printer-friendly copy Go to the page which allows you to send this topic link and a message to a friend Email this topic to a friend
Forums Lobby MASTER YOUR TOOLS - Hardware & Software Digital postprocessing & workflow (Public) topic #66927
View in threaded mode

Subject: "Panorama (Photomerge) Workflow Question" Previous topic | Next topic
Britbear Silver Member Nikonian since 27th Mar 2002Sun 28-Oct-12 09:00 PM
452 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
"Panorama (Photomerge) Workflow Question"

Suburban Chicago, US

Hi all,

I've started to experiment creating pano images using the PSCS6 Automate>Photomerge feature. I'm starting out using 3 RAW images and would like to hear what workflow you've found most efficient, most successful.

Do I merge the 3 RAW images in Photoshop, save (in what format?) then bring the pano image into ACR? Or should I first process the 3 images in ACR, save, then merge in Photoshop?

Thanks!

Barbara
Facebook.com/Barbara.Colbert2
My Gallery

Alert Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic
prreid Silver Member Nikonian since 10th Oct 2012Mon 29-Oct-12 10:32 AM
35 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#1. "RE: Panorama (Photomerge) Workflow Question"
In response to Reply # 0

Naples, US

I can tell what I do ("discovered" thru trial and error): I would do individual changes/corrections in ACR and then go into PS to merge them. HOWEVER, remember if you make changes to the individual shots that are not uniform, they may show these differences after the panorama merge. Therefore, have the corrections of one apply to all!

After the merge make sure to zoom into different parts of the merged photo to correct any remaining problems-- especially where the individuals were stitched (you may find vertical lines which are the "seams" that is easily corrected with the clone tool or the spot healing tools, e.g,).

Good luck,

Philip

prreid Silver Member Nikonian since 10th Oct 2012Mon 29-Oct-12 11:01 AM
35 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#2. "RE: Panorama (Photomerge) Workflow Question"
In response to Reply # 0

Naples, US

I just realized I did not answer all of your question, i.e. saving the file(s). If you can, always save the originals and which type of file depends on your choice, e.g. JPEG is a smaller file size (but is a lossy file) while PSD or TIFF are larger but lossless.

Others may have different suggestions

After your merge, in your layers panel, you can save the shots you used to create the panorama using something like TIFF or PSD and then flatten the image, if you so desire, using keyboard cmds, e.g. Shift + ctrl + E or go into Layer>flatten .

Philip

esantos Moderator Nikonians Resources Writer. Recognized for his outstanding reviews on printers and printing articles. Awarded for his high level of expertise in various areas, including Landscape Photography Awarded for his extraordinary accomplishments in Landscape Photography. His work has been exhibited at the Smithsonian. Nikonian since 10th Nov 2002Mon 29-Oct-12 02:20 PM
11568 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#3. "RE: Panorama (Photomerge) Workflow Question"
In response to Reply # 0

McAllen, US

Just as you must keep the same camera settings from image to image when shooting the panorama sequence in the field, you must also process the images with the same parametric edits image to image. My workflow involves shooting in raw, processing the images in Adobe ACR (Photoshop) and then opening them in Photoshop. I then stitch the images to generate the panorama and save it as a PSD. When I initially access the raw images in ACR I open all of them at the same time. Then I click on the Select All button and make my adjustments.

Ernesto Santos
esartprints.com Ernesto Santos Photography

Britbear Silver Member Nikonian since 27th Mar 2002Mon 29-Oct-12 08:34 PM
452 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#4. "RE: Panorama (Photomerge) Workflow Question"
In response to Reply # 2

Suburban Chicago, US

Thanks, Philip.

Barbara
My Gallery

Britbear Silver Member Nikonian since 27th Mar 2002Mon 29-Oct-12 08:35 PM
#5. "RE: Panorama (Photomerge) Workflow Question"
In response to Reply # 3

Suburban Chicago, US

Much appreciated, Ernesto.

Barbara
My Gallery

Forums Lobby MASTER YOUR TOOLS - Hardware & Software Digital postprocessing & workflow (Public) topic #66927 Previous topic | Next topic

Take the Nikonians Tour and learn more about being a Nikonian Wiki /FAQ /Help Listen to our MP3 photography radio channels Find anything on Nikon and imaging technology - fast!

Copyright © Nikonians 2000, 2014
All Rights Reserved

Nikonians®, NikoScope® and NikoniansAcademy™ are trademarks owned by Nikonians.org.
Nikon®, Nikonos® and Nikkor® are registered trademarks of Nikon Corporation.