Go to a  "printer friendly" view of this message which allow an easy print Printer-friendly copy Go to the page which allows you to send this topic link and a message to a friend Email this topic to a friend
Forums Lobby MASTER YOUR TOOLS - Hardware & Software Digital postprocessing & workflow (Public) topic #66912
View in threaded mode

Subject: "Recommendation Wanted for Modified File Copying Softwar..." Previous topic | Next topic
mwhals Silver Member Nikonian since 19th Apr 2004Thu 25-Oct-12 12:54 AM
1644 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
"Recommendation Wanted for Modified File Copying Software"
Thu 25-Oct-12 02:03 AM by mwhals

Winfield, US

I use Acronis True Image version 10 (2006) for backing up my OS and application drive, but it will only clone if changing hard drives. I use a freeware program I found called "Copy Changed Files" by Andromedia. It is very basic and works OK, but not as well as I expect.

I am looking to see what people are using to copy files that have been modified to a backup drive.

Shoot nature with respect and don't trample it or startle its inhabitants.

Alert Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic
pdekman Gold Member Winner in The Nikonians 10th Anniversary Photo Contest Awarded as a regular contributor who offers in-depth knowledge to members who are interested in building efficient work flows. Nikonian since 17th Nov 2005Thu 25-Oct-12 05:05 PM
1032 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#1. "RE: Recommendation Wanted for Modified File Copying Software"
In response to Reply # 0

Swisher, US

Assuming you're on a PC, Microsoft's Robocopy is quite reliable but it is command-line driven and is best run with scheduled batch scripts (easy if you're comfortable at the command prompt)

For graphic applications, I think SyncToy is still available and FreeFileSync has good reviews as well.

Paul
My Nikonians Gallery

mwhals Silver Member Nikonian since 19th Apr 2004Thu 25-Oct-12 05:21 PM
1644 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#2. "RE: Recommendation Wanted for Modified File Copying Software"
In response to Reply # 1

Winfield, US

I thought robocopy was a Windows 7 thing. I am on Vista, but will move to W7 or W8.

pdekman Gold Member Winner in The Nikonians 10th Anniversary Photo Contest Awarded as a regular contributor who offers in-depth knowledge to members who are interested in building efficient work flows. Nikonian since 17th Nov 2005Thu 25-Oct-12 11:58 PM
1032 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#3. "RE: Recommendation Wanted for Modified File Copying Software"
In response to Reply # 2

Swisher, US

Robocopy is included in Vista as well.

Paul
My Nikonians Gallery

mwhals Silver Member Nikonian since 19th Apr 2004Fri 26-Oct-12 12:04 AM
#4. "RE: Recommendation Wanted for Modified File Copying Software"
In response to Reply # 3
Fri 26-Oct-12 12:06 AM by mwhals

Winfield, US

Great! I even found Robocopy GUI for those not liking command-line driven.

mwhals Silver Member Nikonian since 19th Apr 2004Fri 26-Oct-12 01:48 AM
#5. "RE: Recommendation Wanted for Modified File Copying Software"
In response to Reply # 3

Winfield, US

Tried synctoy 2.1 and like it best! I set it to echo and it works perfect. Thanks!

Forums Lobby MASTER YOUR TOOLS - Hardware & Software Digital postprocessing & workflow (Public) topic #66912 Previous topic | Next topic

Take the Nikonians Tour and learn more about being a Nikonian Wiki /FAQ /Help Listen to our MP3 photography radio channels Find anything on Nikon and imaging technology - fast!

Copyright © Nikonians 2000, 2014
All Rights Reserved

Nikonians®, NikoScope® and NikoniansAcademy™ are trademarks owned by Nikonians.org.
Nikon®, Nikonos® and Nikkor® are registered trademarks of Nikon Corporation.