Go to a  "printer friendly" view of this message which allow an easy print Printer-friendly copy Go to the page which allows you to send this topic link and a message to a friend Email this topic to a friend
Forums Lobby MASTER YOUR TOOLS - Hardware & Software Digital postprocessing & workflow (Public) topic #66836
View in threaded mode

Subject: "converting and saving photos" Previous topic | Next topic
leroy64 Registered since 02nd Sep 2012Sun 02-Sep-12 01:26 PM
1 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
"converting and saving photos"

CA

I shoot everything in raw and edit or retouch later in another prog..My question is whats the best software for batch converting(usually to jpeg)out there? I have photoshop 6,lightroom 4.Also if you were to saving your pics for safe keeping what format do most people save in ?I noticed some pics I have from 15 yrs that are jpegs are losing quality.I try not to save and resave because you lose each time.thanks

Alert Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic
pdekman Gold Member Winner in The Nikonians 10th Anniversary Photo Contest Awarded as a regular contributor who offers in-depth knowledge to members who are interested in building efficient work flows. Nikonian since 17th Nov 2005Sun 02-Sep-12 08:12 PM
1033 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#1. "RE: converting and saving photos"
In response to Reply # 0

Swisher, US

If the photos are already in the Lightroom library that would be pretty easy. Search/select for the set of images you want to act upon and use the export dialog to establish the jpeg parameters and directory location to export to.

For archive, I only keep my master raw images (or TIFF/PSD if I've edited in PS). I consider jpg exports to be transient files that are easily recreated if necessary.

Paul
My Nikonians Gallery

k photon Silver Member Nikonian since 24th Nov 2002Mon 03-Sep-12 05:33 AM
458 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#2. "RE: converting and saving photos"
In response to Reply # 0

Phoenix, US

For batch conversion, you could select files/folders in Bridge then use Tools>Photoshop>Image Processor.

I archive the raw files.

It's not clear why the jpg's you mentioned are 'losing quality'. Are you re-saving them as jpg's? No need to, just copy the files to an archive location.

Cheers

Adobe Photoshop CS6 News + Info for Photographers

Free Printable Chart of ISO – Shutter Speeds – F stops

_udo_ Registered since 18th Oct 2007Sun 04-Nov-12 04:34 PM
200 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#3. "RE: converting and saving photos"
In response to Reply # 0

Rockwood, CA

For RAW images edited in Adobe RAW only (> 90% of my images), I keep the NEF file and the conversion sidecar file.
For RAW images edited in Photoshop (< 10 % of my images), I keep the un-flattened PSD files, and the NEF file.

Udo
Visit my Gallery

Ferguson Silver Member Nikonian since 19th Aug 2004Sun 25-Nov-12 10:32 PM
3530 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#4. "RE: converting and saving photos"
In response to Reply # 3

Cape Coral, US

>For RAW images edited in Adobe RAW only (> 90% of my
>images), I keep the NEF file and the conversion sidecar file.
>For RAW images edited in Photoshop (< 10 % of my images), I
>keep the un-flattened PSD
>files, and the NEF file.

Ditto. I leave the write-to-XMP turned on all the time as a backup in case the catalog goes wonky, it really adds very little overhead.

JPG is not a good archival format unless space is your primary concern, as it makes it difficult to edit later. But Lightroom is a wonderful JPG exporter if you decide that's what you want.

Linwood

Comments welcomed on pictures: Http://captivephotons.com

Forums Lobby MASTER YOUR TOOLS - Hardware & Software Digital postprocessing & workflow (Public) topic #66836 Previous topic | Next topic

Take the Nikonians Tour and learn more about being a Nikonian Wiki /FAQ /Help Listen to our MP3 photography radio channels Find anything on Nikon and imaging technology - fast!

Copyright © Nikonians 2000, 2014
All Rights Reserved

Nikonians®, NikoScope® and NikoniansAcademy™ are trademarks owned by Nikonians.org.
Nikon®, Nikonos® and Nikkor® are registered trademarks of Nikon Corporation.