Go to a  "printer friendly" view of this message which allow an easy print Printer-friendly copy Go to the page which allows you to send this topic link and a message to a friend Email this topic to a friend
Forums Lobby MULTILINGUAL NIKONIANS English Café (Public) topic #86901
View in threaded mode

Subject: "Went to a gallery exhibit" Previous topic | Next topic
SheriB Silver Member Awarded for sharing her exceptional images and details of rural farm life. Nikonian since 11th Sep 2010Wed 06-Feb-13 05:03 PM
1697 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
"Went to a gallery exhibit"

US

Reading Dan's post about being apathetic hit home.I decided to make the effort to go to an exhibit at the local Art Association. 5 local photographers. Info on the FB page and website made it sound like it was going to be wonderful,these top photographers from the area showing some of their best work. Their hours make it hard for those of us who work ( especailly those of us who work 7 days a week .) 9-3 M-F, and 9-12 Sat. Saturday morning I got up, fed and turned out horses, changed into presentable clothing ( something that didn't smell like a barn)and headed up the highway.I could do barn work later.
I knew the Association's Gallery is a little small, and with only 5 photogs I was not expecting it to take me all that long to view the exhibit.72 works were hung.One photographer did some very interesting macro shots of slag glass. Yet, there were so many of this same subject I was left wondering "If she has the insight to envision what she captured here, when looking in those hunks of glass, what else has she come up with." In retrospect I realize that many artists show their work in a series.
Another print,by a different photographer, the second one I looked at as I walked in the door, probably about 14x20, was an abstract reworking/composite of a sunset/beach scene. Covered with sensor dust.Even standing back from the image it caught my eye enough to make me move in closer to see what it was.( I tried to make sure I viewed these images at a distance, knowing we can become overly critical and nitpicky,especially those of us who are photographers) If you are not going to fix it in pp, why get it enlarged, framed,and then hang it in a gallery and ask money for it? On another there was a lot of ghosting around some birds. I have never enlarged any of my shots past letter sized, and never really view any large photographic print before so, these impressions could just be my inexperience in viewing ANY type of art exhibit in person.
Maybe I was expecting more than just a handful of the shots to even catch my eye for more than a passing glance. Many of them just seemed like average snapshots. Some of them, I wished there had been a short artist's statement that may have explained a little about the photographer's thought process on some of the more abstract montage images. Is this something that is done or not so much?
So I left a little disappointed ( THIS is the best York has to offer??) yet determined to make the effort to attend some other showings in the area.They can be few and far between,but I am hoping that by doing this I will at least be exposed to other ideas.In the worst case scenario, ( or maybe best??) I might decide that I can produce just as good or better and put myself out there and get one or two of my images hung somewhere.

Sheri Becker

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

Alert Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic
KenLPhotos Gold Member Nikonian since 26th Jul 2009Wed 06-Feb-13 07:50 PM
1418 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#1. "RE: Went to a gallery exhibit"
In response to Reply # 0

Stewartstown, US

Sounds like you could be a good newspaper reviewer. Why don't you contact the local papers and offer a review. These photographers, if they are serious, could benefit from a good eye pointing ways to improve their work.

KenL

There are many 'images of beautiful objects' but few 'beautiful images of objects'.

SheriB Silver Member Awarded for sharing her exceptional images and details of rural farm life. Nikonian since 11th Sep 2010Wed 06-Feb-13 08:16 PM
1697 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#2. "RE: Went to a gallery exhibit"
In response to Reply # 1

US

I live out in the middle of nowhere..they might come in and kill me in my sleep :-P Have you ever seen a review in the York paper??
But keep an eye on the Art Association site.It isn't up on there yet, but they announced on their FB page an open exhibit ( 100 entries) called Poetry and Prose with works inspired by your favorite written passage or poem. They are doing a call for entries, intake dates end of May

Sheri Becker

dm1dave Administrator Awarded for high level knowledge and skills in various areas, most notably in Wildlife and Landscape Writer Ribbon awarded for his excellent article contributions to the Nikonians community Nikonian since 12th Sep 2006Thu 07-Feb-13 03:25 AM
11497 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#3. "RE: Went to a gallery exhibit"
In response to Reply # 0

Lowden, US

Hi Sheri,

I am sure that you could produce work worthy of display.

The things you describe, visible sensor dust and ghosting around the subjects, sounds like sloppy work to me. Large prints should look as good as or better than any small print. You should be drawn into the image by the composition and subject matter. There should be no distractions that that make you think “what is that?”

It can be difficult promote art in rural communities. It is possible that this is the best the association could come up with.

I wander if it may be helpful to send comments about your experience at the show, not necessarily criticism of the photographs, to the Art Association. Suggest that it will be helpful and enhance the visitors experience if the artists would provide an overall statement introducing themselves and additional statements, outlining their intent, vision, or thought process, for some of their works.

Dave Summers
Lowden, Iowa
Nikonians Photo Contest Director

Nikonians membership -
"My most important photographic investment, after the camera"

My Nikonians Gallery | SummersPhotoGraphic.com | My Crated Gallery
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Showcase your best work in any of our 7 Monthly Nikonians Photo contests.

Wildlife | Landscape | Macro | Sports | Travel | Online Assignments | Best of Nikonians 2014

SheriB Silver Member Awarded for sharing her exceptional images and details of rural farm life. Nikonian since 11th Sep 2010Thu 07-Feb-13 09:54 AM
#4. "RE: Went to a gallery exhibit"
In response to Reply # 3
Thu 07-Feb-13 10:06 AM by SheriB

US

I may do that, just a short note saying that for those of us new to the 'art experience' that the statement idea might be something to consider.
York is somewhat of a multiple personality. Both rural and city.I do think the artistic comminity is experiencing some growing pains.

Sheri Becker

spiritualized67 Silver Member Nikonian since 01st Mar 2007Thu 07-Feb-13 01:10 PM
3178 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#5. "RE: Went to a gallery exhibit"
In response to Reply # 0

Western PA, US

Hi Sheri. First of all, I'm glad you read my article on apathy - and thank you for taking it to heart.

I have had similar Art Association experiences here in small town Western Pennsylvania. While on one hand I admire anyone who is willing to share their vision with others - I sometimes wonder when I see photographs that have glaring issues (no pun intended).

Now mind you, this is not simply a matter of my subjective opinion about their art, but rather foundational problems that any one of us would be called out on if they were posted in our critique forum.

And while we have our own ideas on what we consider to be a minimum standard for exhibiting - often others don't, especially those that haven't experienced nurturing sounding boards like Nikonians, or those who may lack photographic experience. Or as I like to say, enlarging and framing does not a photographer make.

That being said, I have no doubt that these five photographers feel very proud of their art (and they should feel proud) - even if they have an inflated sense of how much their own art is worth. But then again, perceived value (and art for that matter) is and has always been in the eyes of the viewer, so you can never truly anticipate how others will react. Anyone can slap a $399 sticker on their art, but it doesn’t mean it will sell for that much. And if this is what it takes for them to feel good about their own art, then who are we to stand in the way of their idealism, lol.

Rather than being disappointed, I would view this as a positive experience in that it has hopefully provided you with a measuring stick in which to gauge your own work, and maybe the inspiration you will need to get your own work out there. Based on what I've seen on Nikonians (and we're a critical but civil bunch here), you've got some beautiful work to showcase - and it's only getting better. So go out there and be seen yourself! I would only add that you should consider visiting a gallery that may have a reputation for attracting regional/national photographers, as I’m sure their standards are much higher.

~Dan
www.danielstainer.com

dm1dave Administrator Awarded for high level knowledge and skills in various areas, most notably in Wildlife and Landscape Writer Ribbon awarded for his excellent article contributions to the Nikonians community Nikonian since 12th Sep 2006Thu 07-Feb-13 03:20 PM
11497 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#6. "RE: Went to a gallery exhibit"
In response to Reply # 5

Lowden, US

I think often some of the local artists (and photographers) don’t have access to honest constructive criticism. They rely on family, friends and others who just don’t have a lot of experience in exhibiting art. Hopefully as the Art Association grows they will acquire members with a more critical eye who can help these local artists learn and grow.

Dave Summers
Lowden, Iowa
Nikonians Photo Contest Director

Nikonians membership -
"My most important photographic investment, after the camera"

My Nikonians Gallery | SummersPhotoGraphic.com | My Crated Gallery
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Showcase your best work in any of our 7 Monthly Nikonians Photo contests.

Wildlife | Landscape | Macro | Sports | Travel | Online Assignments | Best of Nikonians 2014

SheriB Silver Member Awarded for sharing her exceptional images and details of rural farm life. Nikonian since 11th Sep 2010Thu 07-Feb-13 03:54 PM
#7. "RE: Went to a gallery exhibit"
In response to Reply # 6

US

This Association was formed in 1905... Backed by some big money names in the county too. I do think though, that photography is just now being looked at more as art. And this was a non juried show.Not sure if it was just 5 people finally saying "HEY..we need a photography exhibit"
www.yorkartassociation.org ( .com will take you to the same thing , just in the state of Maine)
I do want to make it clear that in no way do I feel this was a terrible show.I just wonder if I wasn't expecting too much.I guess maybe Nikonians has spoiled me ...

Sheri Becker

spiritualized67 Silver Member Nikonian since 01st Mar 2007Thu 07-Feb-13 05:33 PM
3178 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#8. "RE: Went to a gallery exhibit"
In response to Reply # 7

Western PA, US

Others may disagree with me, but I think it's ok to think it was a disappointing show - at least according to your standards.

Our world has become so PC and narcissistic these days, some people feel like they should get an award for just showing up (and at the same time, we're all afraid to criticize for fear of hurting others feelings or appearing closed minded to every viewpoint, opinion, style or lifestyle choice).

Yes, one person's trash may in fact be another person's treasure - but for most people, it's probably just trash, lol. Given the reputation and history of this association, I think you were well within your rights to have a certain expectation; one which was clearly not met.

And maybe you are spoiled by Nikonians, which is not such a bad thing.

~Dan

kennoll Gold Member Nikonian since 07th Feb 2011Thu 07-Feb-13 06:31 PM
801 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#9. "RE: Went to a gallery exhibit"
In response to Reply # 0
Thu 07-Feb-13 06:35 PM by kennoll

Seattle, US

Sheri,

I agree with what's been said to so far. But, after reviewing some of your work, which is really, really nice, I think you should select a few of your images and set up an exhibition of your own. Let your work speak for itself and let the locals see what quality work is really like.

Another thought that crossed my mind was about other viewers, the non-photographers (and maybe even a few other photographers), that viewed the display. Wouldn't want them to get the wrong impression of what good photography is.

And, agreeing with Dan, it's OK to be disappointed. In fact it's really good. Just think how much time, effort, determination, dollars, and yes, some luck went into your being able to tell good photography from not-so-good photography. In a way you've earned the right to be disappointed.

Ken
Seattle, WA
My Gallery

HBB Moderator Hal is an expert in several areas, including CLS Awarded for his excellent article contributions to the Resources. Charter MemberThu 07-Feb-13 09:03 PM
8482 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#10. "RE: Went to a gallery exhibit"
In response to Reply # 0

Phoenix, US

Sheri:

Thank you for your candor in this thread.

From my perspective, you are experiencing a very normal reaction, given your talent and eye for composition. While I haven't seen any of the exhibited works, I suspect yours is a more objective, refined perspective, in contrast to those who have yet to rise to your level of awareness and perception.

You don't have to apologize or feel guilty for your reactions. If the photographers are receptive, and you are comfortable, perhaps you could offer a few tactful, constructive comments. You have much to offer. If they are at all interested in improving, they should welcome your words.

Regards,

HBB in Phoenix, Arizona
Nikonian Team Member

Photography is a journey with no conceivable destination.

SheriB Silver Member Awarded for sharing her exceptional images and details of rural farm life. Nikonian since 11th Sep 2010Sat 09-Feb-13 10:25 PM
#11. "RE: Went to a gallery exhibit"
In response to Reply # 9

US

Maybe the reason I feel odd about being critical or disappointed is that ,when you get down to the nitty gritty...I really feel I know very little about the ...technical...part of photography. Yes, I have always been artistically inclined, yes I think I have a good eye for composition ( especially when I slow down a little) . No idea what it takes to tweak an image to make it look it's best to print, much less have I ever touched any pp software other than ViewNX. I know some of my files could be so much better with some minor adjustments that I see discussed here. So I am not sure I am ready to put myself out there just yet. Yet, I do see so many people who are even calling themselves pros (locally) that to be blunt...are downright bad. What makes a person ..talented or not....have the gumption to just ...DO IT...and then there are those like me who always feel they are just not there yet? I do have a pretty good idea why I am this way to some extent, but this is not a psych forum lol.

Sheri Becker

CicliCiocc Registered since 01st Nov 2011Sun 10-Feb-13 12:10 PM
125 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#12. "RE: Went to a gallery exhibit"
In response to Reply # 0

US

I've been to many local art shows. I look forward to all new exhibits. While I enjoy going to them, I will rarely say that there is a piece that is truly exceptional. BUT, people don't always exhibit to be judged, they exhibit to share. Share experiences, share vision and share travels.Either I really like something or I move on. If you are going to an art show, and you're focusing (pun intended) on dust spots, blown highlights and out of focus subjects-then I respectfully suggest that a better place for you to visit might be a camera club meeting.
BTW, my very favorite art exhibits are the ones put on by the local schools. The kids have such fresh ideas, such different visions. You'll hardly ever see clichés like flowers, slow moving streams, cats, dogs, birds and charming village cottages. I'll see intriguing shadows, interesting angles and lots of silliness and innocence. Great stuff-always inspires me.

Hey thanks for reading!

Forums Lobby MULTILINGUAL NIKONIANS English Café (Public) topic #86901 Previous topic | Next topic

Take the Nikonians Tour and learn more about being a Nikonian Wiki /FAQ /Help Listen to our MP3 photography radio channels Find anything on Nikon and imaging technology - fast!

Copyright © Nikonians 2000, 2014
All Rights Reserved

Nikonians®, NikoScope® and NikoniansAcademy™ are trademarks owned by Nikonians.org.
Nikon®, Nikonos® and Nikkor® are registered trademarks of Nikon Corporation.