Go to a  "printer friendly" view of this message which allow an easy print Printer-friendly copy Go to the page which allows you to send this topic link and a message to a friend Email this topic to a friend
Forums Lobby MULTILINGUAL NIKONIANS English Café (Public) topic #85423
View in threaded mode

Subject: "Horseradish." Previous topic | Next topic
gbowen Gold Member Nikonian since 31st Mar 2011Mon 19-Nov-12 07:14 PM
1111 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
"Horseradish."

Canton, US

That's my word for today, and it's what I say when people start saying you can't make good images with cheap equipment. I wish I still had the photos I made with the pinhole camera I helped one of my kids make for a science project in school.

A camera is really a simple device when you boil it down to the basics. Lenses are far more complex, but again, do you really need that lens that costs as much as a good used car? Horseradish. Can you live without AF and VR, and ED, and all those other acronyms? You bet your horsepucky!

Did Ansel Adams have any of that stuff? Of course not, yet many try to emulate him. What do you suppose he'd say about modern camera and lenses? Well, I would think he'd say concentrate on the image, because it's everything.

This may seem like a rant, but it's not. I am saying don't get hung up on equipment. I see a lot of that going on in the forums. Heck, I got caught up in that and I nearly quit because I don't have the latest whiz-bang camera or lenses. Horseradish I say!

So now, here I am, back at square one with a whole new attitude. I love my camera and lenses! They are part of me and by golly I am going to be the best doggone photographer I can be. Light is my friend and I am going to learn all I can about him and how to use light to create some magic.

Heck, I might even build another pinhole camera, just for fun! Who is with me?

George

Alert Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic
mklass Platinum Member As a semi-professional involved in all manner of photographic genres including portraiture, sports, commercial, and events coverage, Mick is always ready to help Nikonians by sharing his deep knowledge of photography and printing. Nikonian since 08th Dec 2006Mon 19-Nov-12 08:42 PM
5862 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#1. "RE: Horseradish."
In response to Reply # 0

Tacoma, US

Darn it, George! I thought this thread was going to have something to do with Roast Beef.

Never-the-less, I agree with your point. As much fun as it may be to dream about, debate and analyze equipment, if you can't take a picture it's pointless. Just use what you have to take the best picture you possibly can. Analyze that to see how you can improve your technique, not your gear.

And if anyone gets a nice picture of a Beef-on-Weck in Buffalo, I'd be grateful.

Mick
http://www.mickklassphoto.com
or
Visit my nikonians gallery

Floridian Silver Member Nikonian since 11th Feb 2007Mon 19-Nov-12 09:41 PM
2712 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#2. "RE: Horseradish."
In response to Reply # 0

Tallahassee, Florida, US

>...So now, here I am, back at square one with a whole new
>attitude. I love my camera and lenses!... Who is with me?

I'm not going to build a pinhole camera, but despite occasional NAS, I agree. I have an excellent camera and some nice lenses, even though they are not the top-of-the-line pro gear. My camera equipment is great for taking the kind of photos I want to take, and what's holding me back from getting better photos isn't my equipment, its the photographer who stands behind it.

One nice thing about digital photography is that having incurred a not insubstantial cost in acquiring my equipment, I can now go out and shoot for practice, just to experiment, without incurring much in the way of additional cost. That does add to my enjoyment of the hobby.

I wouldn't say that I'd be just as happy with any camera, or any lenses, but rather that I'm fortunate enough to have acquired a set of camera equipment such that the equipment I have isn't the limiting factor in the quality of my photos. And for that reason, I love my camera and lenses!

Randy

gbowen Gold Member Nikonian since 31st Mar 2011Mon 19-Nov-12 10:06 PM
1111 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#3. "RE: Horseradish."
In response to Reply # 1

Canton, US

>Darn it, George! I thought this thread was going to have
>something to do with Roast Beef.
>
>Never-the-less, I agree with your point. As much fun as it may
>be to dream about, debate and analyze equipment, if you can't
>take a picture it's pointless. Just use what you have to take
>the best picture you possibly can. Analyze that to see how
>you can improve your technique, not your gear.

Exactly my point. To use a good pun here, it is about focus.

>
>And if anyone gets a nice picture of a Beef-on-Weck in
>Buffalo, I'd be grateful.

As soon as I figure out what that is, I'll do my best to get one!

George

gbowen Gold Member Nikonian since 31st Mar 2011Mon 19-Nov-12 10:10 PM
#4. "RE: Horseradish."
In response to Reply # 2

Canton, US

Well, it is Thanksgiving, so no better time to be thankful!

Oh, I'm pretty sure Ansel would be overjoyed with digital! (And Photoshop!)

Aww, c'mon, pinholes are fun!

George

tekneektom Gold Member Nikonian since 18th Nov 2011Mon 19-Nov-12 11:39 PM
1772 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#5. "RE: Horseradish."
In response to Reply # 0

Land O Lakes, US

George,

Interesting topic. I agree with you. Over the past few months I've been watching various threads within Nikonians and there is an absolute obsession with equipment - I think it might be a male thing that's somewhat analogous to "Mines Bigger Than Yours"!

I guess you have to keep in mind that the camera and lens are just tools. Some are a bit more automatic than others and some are bigger or weigh more and are longer or wider, but fundamentally the biggest difference in the output is the photographer. And, keep in mind the proverb "Clothes don't make the man", I'm sure the saying can be adapted to photography.

Tom

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

gbowen Gold Member Nikonian since 31st Mar 2011Tue 20-Nov-12 01:04 AM
#6. "RE: Horseradish."
In response to Reply # 5

Canton, US

Well my thread has had the desired effect, so mission accomplished!

I like being a bit unorthodox, hence the horseradish lol. But it got people thinking and hopefully in a positive way. FX vs DX really doesn't matter. AF S vs AF D doesn't matter. Any or all systems are good as long as they help you produce the images you desire. If you like cameras and all you want is to collect, then more power to you!

Just have fun doing it.

George

KenLPhotos Gold Member Nikonian since 26th Jul 2009Tue 20-Nov-12 02:03 AM
1405 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#7. "RE: Horseradish."
In response to Reply # 6

Stewartstown, US

>I like being a bit unorthodox,

Hmmmmm... lets build a pinhole with a digital sensor. Then we would need a back screen to compose, and maybe one of my old Nikon lenses on the front. I think I have an old Vivitar flash somewhere and then.....

KenL

There are many 'images of beautiful objects' but few 'beautiful images of objects'.

gbowen Gold Member Nikonian since 31st Mar 2011Tue 20-Nov-12 10:42 AM
#8. "RE: Horseradish."
In response to Reply # 7

Canton, US

You KNOW that thought occurred to me!

Or....you could get something like this:
http://photojojo.com/store/awesomeness/slr-pinhole-body-cap/

George

CicliCiocc Registered since 01st Nov 2011Tue 20-Nov-12 01:32 PM
125 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#9. "RE: Horseradish."
In response to Reply # 0

US

You're kind of right with respect the the hobbyist. A good phone camera is all you really need. Small, decent image quality-what's not to like. However, when you make your income with imaging, the story changes. I had to invest in some new equipment if I was to satisfy some of my client base. To do what they wanted required an upgrade to certain areas. And what I have produced lately is really surprising me. Just couldn't do it with my older stuff. I have pushed the capabilities of the technology I had, time to move on.
You hear it all the time, it's not the camera! It's not the camera! But I daresay, that a forum of mostly hobbyists like here at Nikonians that it is an important part of the fun. Going deeply into Nikon lens serial numbers, and testing new lenses with charts, and getting info about the best tripod or bag-that's an important part of this community. Let's not try to kid any body, the gear to a big chunk of thinking here is about.
Got to go....I'll finish later

GiantTristan Silver Member Nikonian since 08th Jan 2006Tue 20-Nov-12 02:20 PM
1814 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#10. "RE: Horseradish."
In response to Reply # 0

Stamford, US

Your argument is somewhat overdone. It is quite obvious that an experienced photographer does better with simple equipment than a novice with a top of the line camera and lens. On the other hand, the experienced photographer will do better with good than with marginal equipment. A case in point - If I compare a capture taken with the D70 plus kit lens to a picture of the same subject but taken with a D700 and a Zeiss lens, there sure is a difference.

You are correct when you state that a lot of recent photographic equipment is loaded down with useless bells and whistles which not only adds to cost and weight but in many cases is over-engineered and unreliable. I also agree that unfortunately many people fall for the trap set by marketing experts and acquire overpriced equipment they don't need. If Nikon comes up with a 100 MP camera, quite a few people would dump their brand new, but now obsolete D800, to buy the new model.

Tristan

gbowen Gold Member Nikonian since 31st Mar 2011Tue 20-Nov-12 02:25 PM
#11. "RE: Horseradish."
In response to Reply # 9

Canton, US

Of course it's a different ball game when it's your living. I am gearing this more to people like me who do this for enjoyment, and maybe make a little coinage on the side. Of course the camera and lenses are important, but to me it's all just a tool to make the image.
Some need pro tools, while others just need consumer grade.

You might say this is a pep talk to myself and anyone else like me who have gotten equipment paralysis and need to break out of that rut and get back to making images.

George

kennoll Gold Member Nikonian since 07th Feb 2011Tue 20-Nov-12 06:07 PM
772 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#12. "RE: Horseradish."
In response to Reply # 0

Seattle, US

I'm with you as well George! Love my gear. Add to that the PP hardware and software as well. As my profiles says, "Advanced Amateur - Lots of experience for the love of it".

Before I retired a couple years ago I upgraded to what I thought would be the best camera and PP gear for my needs for some time to come.

As for the Photojojo! SLR Pinhole lens. $50?? Hey, a spare body cap, a tiny drill bit, a drill press and lo and behold a DSLR pinhole lens. For what? $5?

Thanks for the post George!

Ken
Seattle, WA
My Gallery

gbowen Gold Member Nikonian since 31st Mar 2011Tue 20-Nov-12 06:15 PM
#13. "RE: Horseradish."
In response to Reply # 12

Canton, US

I knew I should have included a disclaimer with that link lol!

I heartily agree and I have just the right small drill bits to accomplish the task. Sounds like a little fun to enjoy over the long holiday weekend this week. I might have some images to share just for fun.

George

nrothschild Silver Member Neil is an expert in several areas, including camera support Nikonian since 25th Jul 2004Wed 21-Nov-12 11:31 AM
10907 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#14. "RE: Horseradish."
In response to Reply # 0

US

I do find horseradish essential on a roast beef sandwich or with steamed shrimp

my Nikonians gallery.

Attachment #1, (jpg file)

gbowen Gold Member Nikonian since 31st Mar 2011Wed 21-Nov-12 01:45 PM
#15. "RE: Horseradish."
In response to Reply # 14

Canton, US

Wow, the supremely rare Horseradish Moon! Very well done!

George

nrothschild Silver Member Neil is an expert in several areas, including camera support Nikonian since 25th Jul 2004Wed 21-Nov-12 05:26 PM
10907 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#16. "RE: Horseradish."
In response to Reply # 15

US

On the off chance I was overly subtle, there are many subjects for which the gear really matters. A lunar eclipse is one of them.

my Nikonians gallery.

gbowen Gold Member Nikonian since 31st Mar 2011Wed 21-Nov-12 11:16 PM
#17. "RE: Horseradish."
In response to Reply # 16

Canton, US

True, but we are a bit off the theme, which is don't obsess over equipment. I realize there are specialties which require certain types of equipment. I am speaking more in terms of general photography.

George

nrothschild Silver Member Neil is an expert in several areas, including camera support Nikonian since 25th Jul 2004Thu 22-Nov-12 01:20 AM
#18. "RE: Horseradish."
In response to Reply # 17

US

Seems to me that much of the obsession here *is* related to sports, wildlife and other "specialties".

my Nikonians gallery.

gbowen Gold Member Nikonian since 31st Mar 2011Fri 23-Nov-12 01:22 PM
#19. "RE: Horseradish."
In response to Reply # 18

Canton, US

True that.

George

Lolrogge Silver Member Nikonian since 13th Apr 2012Fri 23-Nov-12 03:46 PM
276 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#20. "RE: Horseradish."
In response to Reply # 13

Ayden, US

You can use a larger drill bit. Then using non shiny black tape, secure black construction paper inside the body cap. Use a pin to make a small hole in construction paper. It worked great on my camera.

With digital it is easy to experiment and find the best exposure.

Laverne

Lolrogge Silver Member Nikonian since 13th Apr 2012Fri 23-Nov-12 03:46 PM
276 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#21. "RE: Horseradish."
In response to Reply # 13
Fri 23-Nov-12 03:47 PM by Lolrogge

Ayden, US

Sorry. Duplicate post.

Laverne

Floridian Silver Member Nikonian since 11th Feb 2007Fri 23-Nov-12 07:52 PM
2712 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#22. "RE: Horseradish."
In response to Reply # 18
Fri 23-Nov-12 07:53 PM by Floridian

Tallahassee, Florida, US

>Seems to me that much of the obsession here *is* related to
>sports, wildlife and other "specialties".

It does seem like there are two "types of obsessions" I notice here. One is from people who say "I'd really like to be able to do (fill in the blank) and my current set-up is inadequate, but it would cost a lot of money to get the gear that would do what I want." Another is "There's a new (something) that appears to be better than what I have, and I want that because I don't really want to be held back by my equipment, even though I don't know how my current gear might be holding me back." I think the latter is what George's original post addressed.

Neil, as to the first type of obsession, the many posts I have read from you and other birders makes me realize that the cost of admission will keep me from ever being a real birder!

Randy

gbowen Gold Member Nikonian since 31st Mar 2011Sat 24-Nov-12 10:15 PM
#23. "RE: Horseradish."
In response to Reply # 22

Canton, US

>It does seem like there are two "types of
>obsessions" I notice here. One is from people who say
>"I'd really like to be able to do (fill in the blank) and
>my current set-up is inadequate, but it would cost a lot of
>money to get the gear that would do what I want."
>Another is "There's a new (something) that appears to be
>better than what I have, and I want that because I don't
>really want to be held back by my equipment, even though I
>don't know how my current gear might be holding me back."
> I think the latter is what George's original post addressed.

I couldn't have said it better myself!

George

gbowen Gold Member Nikonian since 31st Mar 2011Sat 24-Nov-12 11:21 PM
#24. "RE: Horseradish."
In response to Reply # 22

Canton, US

>Neil, as to the first type of obsession, the many posts I have
>read from you and other birders makes me realize that the cost
>of admission will keep me from ever being a real birder!

No kidding. Lenses between $8 and 10K. Makes me glad I am not into 'specialties'.

George

tekneektom Gold Member Nikonian since 18th Nov 2011Mon 26-Nov-12 11:35 PM
1772 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#25. "RE: Horseradish."
In response to Reply # 0

Land O Lakes, US

I ran into this quote on the Earthbound Light website and thought it appropriate for this topic:

Galen Rowell observed in one of his books that "99 percent of the world's cameras are capable of taking publishable pictures, yet most of the world's photographs aren't publishable quality." It's not the camera that makes the photograph, it's the photographer.

Tom

gbowen Gold Member Nikonian since 31st Mar 2011Tue 27-Nov-12 01:58 PM
#26. "RE: Horseradish."
In response to Reply # 25

Canton, US

>I ran into this quote on the Earthbound Light website and
>thought it appropriate for this topic:
>
>Galen Rowell observed in one of his books that "99
>percent of the world's cameras are capable of taking
>publishable pictures, yet most of the world's photographs
>aren't publishable quality." It's not the camera that
>makes the photograph, it's the photographer.
>
>Tom

Right on, Tom. That is what really struck me. Here I was, worrying about equipment, and neglecting the whole purpose of photography. So I am committing this year to development as an artist of light.

George

gkaiseril Gold Member Nikonian since 28th Oct 2005Tue 27-Nov-12 02:48 PM
6739 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#27. "RE: Horseradish."
In response to Reply # 7

Chicago, US

You compose like you would do with a SpeedGraphix, experience and you could make frame that mounts in the hot shoe that could give one the limits of the view.

Also one needs to get the exposure by trial and error.

The pin hole camera might not get a better image than many photographers. But when you "master" it, you have more understanding about how to use a camera and figure out exposure. This added knowledge will improve your skills with the more advanced cameras because you should have better understanding of the mechanics of capturing images and thinking about what you are about to do before you unpack your camera.

George
My Nikonian Galleries

gkaiseril Gold Member Nikonian since 28th Oct 2005Tue 27-Nov-12 03:02 PM
6739 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#28. "RE: Horseradish."
In response to Reply # 20

Chicago, US

It is my understanding that the smaller holes act like a lens to focus the light passing through the hole. It is even possible to make glasses that have solid "lenses" with a series of pin holes.

Pins work best for "drilling" the hole. One can buy body caps with metal insert in a cutout that acts as the lens.

Turn Your DSLR Into a Pinhole Camera

PINHOLE PHOTOGRAPHY AND CAMERA DESIGN CALCULATORS

George
My Nikonian Galleries

Forums Lobby MULTILINGUAL NIKONIANS English Café (Public) topic #85423 Previous topic | Next topic

Take the Nikonians Tour and learn more about being a Nikonian Wiki /FAQ /Help Listen to our MP3 photography radio channels Find anything on Nikon and imaging technology - fast!

Copyright © Nikonians 2000, 2014
All Rights Reserved

Nikonians®, NikoScope® and NikoniansAcademy™ are trademarks owned by Nikonians.org.
Nikon®, Nikonos® and Nikkor® are registered trademarks of Nikon Corporation.