Go to a  "printer friendly" view of this message which allow an easy print Printer-friendly copy Go to the page which allows you to send this topic link and a message to a friend Email this topic to a friend
Forums Lobby MULTILINGUAL NIKONIANS English Café (Public) topic #85197
View in threaded mode

Subject: "Too Much Photoshopping" Previous topic | Next topic
gkaiseril Gold Member Nikonian since 28th Oct 2005Mon 05-Nov-12 05:56 PM
6739 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
"Too Much Photoshopping"

Chicago, US

The issue of excessive retouching continues:

Photography competition winner disqualified for \'too much Photoshopping

It is unfortunate that there are no clear guidelines for the limits of how far one can go. This is not easy to define.

George
My Nikonian Galleries

Alert Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic
olivierrychner Gold Member  Awarded for his long standing high level of commitment to the Nikonians community and demonstrated excellence in the art and science of photography. Nikonian since 03rd Jan 2005Mon 05-Nov-12 06:13 PM
4952 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#1. "RE: Too Much Photoshopping"
In response to Reply # 0
Mon 05-Nov-12 06:14 PM by olivierrychner

CH

I solemnly propose that we immediately write to the Sierra Club and the Library of Congress and God knows what other institution(s) concerned, and ask for a very public removal of all work by Ansel Adams from their collection and shops, because frankly, if anyone was to print from his "raw", untouched negatives, they would probably get a result very far removed from what we are now used to see.

That would prove that Mr Adams employed "excessive manipulation" in his handling of photos, by chemicals agents and/or masking, and thus render his complete work absolutely worthless.

Should the necessity arise, I'm even ready to keep one of each of his originals in a vault in the Swiss Alps for the sake of future generations faced with such forms of criminality as "arts" and their various interpretations. But that would really be a sacrifice to me to take that burden onto my frail shoulders, y'a know

Do I need to write any more?

Olivier Rychner

Auta i lomë! And my Nikon's only awaiting daylight...

Noel Holland Platinum Member Winner in the Nikonians 10th Anniversary Photo Contest Charter MemberMon 05-Nov-12 06:44 PM
2171 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#2. "RE: Too Much Photoshopping"
In response to Reply # 0
Mon 05-Nov-12 06:46 PM by Noel Holland

TH

I was curious about this and the reasons given appear to be vague.

The rules included the following:

Classic View: We are looking for an image that captures the beauty and variety of the UK landscape. An iconic view; a view along a cliff-side path or of a historic village; a view down a valley; an urban skyline or snow-capped peaks; maybe showing the drama of our seasons. Recognisable and memorable; a true classic. All entries must have been taken using a camera with a sufficiently high resolution to allow the image to be reproduced at A4 size or above (at 300 ppi) or scanned from film. We recommend that you use a camera of 4 mega pixels or more.

11) Digital adjustments.
Digital adjustments, including High Dynamic Range (HDR) imaging techniques and the joining together of multiple frames, are allowed in all categories. However, for images entered in Classic view, Living the view and Urban view, the integrity of the subject must be maintained and the making of physical changes to the landscape is not permitted (removing fences, moving trees, stripping in sky from another image etc). The organisers reserve the right to disqualify any image that they feel lacks authenticity due to over-manipulation. The judges will allow more latitude in the ‘Your view’ category, which aims to encourage originality and conceptual thinking. Please see How to enter for further details.

While I don't know, I suspect this entry may have fallen foul of the sky clause. Something was moved, deleted or added that wasn't in the original view for it to have been disqualified after it had won. It can't have just been the tonal adjustments or it wouldn't have won in the first place.

It's a pity because it's a beautiful piece. Such a shame the photographer didn't read the rule fully or else had the sense to enter it into the other category where it probably would have won anyway and not now have been disqualified.

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

mklass Platinum Member As a semi-professional involved in all manner of photographic genres including portraiture, sports, commercial, and events coverage, Mick is always ready to help Nikonians by sharing his deep knowledge of photography and printing. Nikonian since 08th Dec 2006Mon 05-Nov-12 07:20 PM
5975 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#3. "RE: Too Much Photoshopping"
In response to Reply # 2

Tacoma, US

The rules seem a little vague and perhaps open to too much interpretation.

On my screen, it looked like the "new" winner could have used a little more manipulation. Nice composition, though.

Mick
http://www.mickklassphoto.com
or
Visit my nikonians gallery

hujiie Silver Member Nikonian since 10th Apr 2009Mon 05-Nov-12 10:36 PM
553 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#4. "RE: Too Much Photoshopping"
In response to Reply # 0

US

I sometimes question a field of "Photography". It can be grey and conventional.

For me, good photography is:
to freeze the great moments and / or to create great images.

www.hitoshiujiie.com/photography.html

blw Moderator Awarded for his high level of expertise in various areas Nikonian since 18th Jun 2004Tue 06-Nov-12 01:30 AM
26720 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to send message via AOL IM
#5. "RE: Too Much Photoshopping"
In response to Reply # 0

Richmond, US

I guess the disqualified winner had fallen in Zone IX. (Or was that Zone I?)

Seriously, I wonder what the original looked like. Having seen the difference between some of Ansel Adams' prints and their corresponding negatives, I'm ready to believe quite a bit.

_____
Brian... a bicoastal Nikonian and Team Member

My gallery is online. Comments and critique welcomed any time!

Noel Holland Platinum Member Winner in the Nikonians 10th Anniversary Photo Contest Charter MemberTue 06-Nov-12 06:34 AM
2171 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#6. "RE: Too Much Photoshopping"
In response to Reply # 5

TH

A bit more info:

http://www.nineelmsphotography.com/blog/?p=923

http://www.alexnail.com/blog/news-updates/lpoty-2012/

They do look similar - but how many different shots can you take of a famous view?
At some point judges are going to have to accept that some locations have been shot to death and that there are going to be similarities between some photographers shots. Surely you can't patent tripod holes?

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

olivierrychner Gold Member  Awarded for his long standing high level of commitment to the Nikonians community and demonstrated excellence in the art and science of photography. Nikonian since 03rd Jan 2005Tue 06-Nov-12 08:03 AM
4952 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#7. "RE: Too Much Photoshopping"
In response to Reply # 6

CH

>Surely you
>can't patent tripod holes?
>

Now THAT is an idea.

Olivier Rychner

Auta i lomë! And my Nikon's only awaiting daylight...

archivue Gold Member Nikonian since 26th Mar 2002Tue 06-Nov-12 09:24 AM
5480 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#8. "RE: Too Much Photoshopping"
In response to Reply # 6

Paris, FR

Reading further in the story it seems that's it's not about plagiarism, nor some sort of Ansel Adams "filter", but more about cleaning a bit the picture and "maybe" adding a sky (still to be proved, though the shade theory seems sound enough)!

The point isn't that you can sell such a picture or hang it in a gallery, it's more about a landscape contest rules that argues for a landscape picture without modifying it !

Jacques

"Un photographe, finalement, c'est quelqu'un comme les autres, mais qui prend des photos." - Man Ray
My Gallery...
My Other Gallery...

blw Moderator Awarded for his high level of expertise in various areas Nikonian since 18th Jun 2004Tue 06-Nov-12 09:26 AM
26720 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to send message via AOL IM
#9. "RE: Too Much Photoshopping"
In response to Reply # 6

Richmond, US

Well, that was interesting. It appears that in fact there was indeed "too much" Photoshop. The rules seem to be quite clear about not using the clone tool, and it would seem that the clone tool was used a fair amount, and not just one sensor dust. (The rules sound reasonable to me; I seriously doubt that they really would disqualify an image for cloning out sensor dust.) The sky may well have been a complete edit too. And while I do think that the final image as presented is still photography, it apparently does violate the rules of the contest, so the organizers were well within their policy of excluding this image on that basis. On the other hand, they should have figured that out before they awarded a prestigious prize, rather than afterward.

As far as the same locations... I don't think they disqualified it for that reason. On the other hand, if it's a famous location, one would think the treatment would have to be special in some way to win a contest.

_____
Brian... a bicoastal Nikonian and Team Member

My gallery is online. Comments and critique welcomed any time!

jdroach Platinum Member Fellow Ribbon awarded. John exhibits true Nikonian spirit by frequently posting images and requesting comments and critique, which he graciously accepts. He is an inspiration to all of us through constant improvement in his own work, keen observations and excellent commentary on images posted by others. Nikonian since 21st Mar 2009Wed 07-Nov-12 12:32 AM
4587 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#10. "RE: Too Much Photoshopping"
In response to Reply # 0
Wed 07-Nov-12 12:33 AM by jdroach

Milwaukee, US

Ba Humbug! What a revolting determination.

jdroach, a Milwaukee area and sometimes Chicago area Nikonian.

Visit my Nikonians Blog

Visit my Nikonian gallery

My Flickr Photostream

jdroachphotography.com

Forums Lobby MULTILINGUAL NIKONIANS English Café (Public) topic #85197 Previous topic | Next topic

Take the Nikonians Tour and learn more about being a Nikonian Wiki /FAQ /Help Listen to our MP3 photography radio channels Find anything on Nikon and imaging technology - fast!

Copyright © Nikonians 2000, 2014
All Rights Reserved

Nikonians®, NikoScope® and NikoniansAcademy™ are trademarks owned by Nikonians.org.
Nikon®, Nikonos® and Nikkor® are registered trademarks of Nikon Corporation.