Go to a  "printer friendly" view of this message which allow an easy print Printer-friendly copy Go to the page which allows you to send this topic link and a message to a friend Email this topic to a friend
Forums Lobby MULTILINGUAL NIKONIANS English Café (Public) topic #85071
View in threaded mode

Subject: "B&H expects to be open by Wednesday October 31" Previous topic | Next topic
Nikon32250 Silver Member Nikonian since 16th Mar 2004Tue 30-Oct-12 08:53 PM
3562 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
"B&H expects to be open by Wednesday October 31"

St. Augustine, US

Not that this is on top of most people's priority list but B&H has posted on their website:

Please take note: Due to Hurricane Sandy the carriers are not operating today, you might expect a short delay in receiving your order. By tomorrow October 31, everything should be back to normal.

Adorama doesn't have any statement regarding Sandy.

Graham
From St. Augustine, FL. "I like photographers, you don't ask questions." Ronald Reagan to White House Press Photogs

<http://www.ancientcityphotography.com/>

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

Alert Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic
mklass Platinum Member As a semi-professional involved in all manner of photographic genres including portraiture, sports, commercial, and events coverage, Mick is always ready to help Nikonians by sharing his deep knowledge of photography and printing. Nikonian since 08th Dec 2006Tue 30-Oct-12 09:10 PM
6086 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#1. "RE: B&H expects to be open by Wednesday October 31"
In response to Reply # 0

Tacoma, US

It will be interesting to see how quickly UPS, and FedEx, are able to restore service and get through any backlog. My guess is the retailers will be ready to go before they are.

I have an order that I placed with B&H early Monday morning, before announcing they closed, and me not thinking about the storm. Nothing critical in terms of timing, but given the cost of the item, I wanted overnight delivery.

It will get here when it gets here.

Mick
http://www.mickklassphoto.com
or
Visit my nikonians gallery

Nikon32250 Silver Member Nikonian since 16th Mar 2004Tue 30-Oct-12 09:24 PM
3562 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#2. "RE: B&H expects to be open by Wednesday October 31"
In response to Reply # 1

St. Augustine, US

I placed an order last Thursday with them, it was shipped on Friday and UPS is still showing that it is expected to arrive tomorrow. I'm hoping it does because it included a camera bag that I want to take on an overseas trip in two weeks.

Graham
From St. Augustine, FL. "I like photographers, you don't ask questions." Ronald Reagan to White House Press Photogs

mklass Platinum Member As a semi-professional involved in all manner of photographic genres including portraiture, sports, commercial, and events coverage, Mick is always ready to help Nikonians by sharing his deep knowledge of photography and printing. Nikonian since 08th Dec 2006Wed 31-Oct-12 12:53 PM
6086 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#3. "RE: B&H expects to be open by Wednesday October 31"
In response to Reply # 2

Tacoma, US

Well, B&H said they shipped my stuff yesterday, but UPS has yet to pick it up, or even show the shipment in any way in their system. I think B&H is expecting pick-ups today, as they show the expected delivery tomorrow.

As I said, it will get here when it gets here.

Mick
or

akmartinez1 Gold Member Nikonian since 13th Jan 2005Thu 01-Nov-12 06:06 PM
629 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to send message via AOL IM
#4. "RE: B&H expects to be open by Wednesday October 31"
In response to Reply # 0

San Francisco, US

I had purchased an SB-910 Speedlight to replace my SB-900 that I misplaced.

I placed an order through B&H on Monday morning Pacific time.

I got the same message in the evening about the delay due to the storms.

I selected to have it shipped for free and at the time of the order it said it would take up to 8 days for delivery.

I got a message from B&H today that it has shipped and to expect my package on Wed 11/07.

So everything should be up and running...

mklass Platinum Member As a semi-professional involved in all manner of photographic genres including portraiture, sports, commercial, and events coverage, Mick is always ready to help Nikonians by sharing his deep knowledge of photography and printing. Nikonian since 08th Dec 2006Thu 01-Nov-12 06:26 PM
#5. "RE: B&H expects to be open by Wednesday October 31"
In response to Reply # 4

Tacoma, US

Yes, I got my stuff today that I ordered Monday for next day UPS. Only 2 day delay. Quite amazing.

Mick
or

Nikon32250 Silver Member Nikonian since 16th Mar 2004Thu 01-Nov-12 09:02 PM
#6. "RE: B&H expects to be open by Wednesday October 31"
In response to Reply # 5

St. Augustine, US

They did a real good job of getting back to normal. My new camera bag arrived yesterday too. What's funny is that someone on Facebook commented with absolute certainty that their Brooklyn warehouse was underwater!

Graham

Floridian Silver Member Nikonian since 11th Feb 2007Thu 01-Nov-12 09:06 PM
2740 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#7. "RE: B&H expects to be open by Wednesday October 31"
In response to Reply # 0

Tallahassee, Florida, US

I just got an email from Adorama (I'm sure many Nikonians got the same one) saying "...we have reopened and want to do whatever we can to help ease your recovery. Many New Yorkers are blacked out, so today and tomorrow on 18th between 5th & 6th, we have set up high-powered charging stations for FREE usage. We invite you to come down with your phones and electronics and charge all your devices at our stations for FREE."

First of all, kudos to Adorama for doing this. Second, if someone actually is blacked out, how could they get the email message to know that Adorama was offering that service? OK, its possible some people might check email on their phones while they still have some battery left, except that the cell towers might not be working in areas that don't have electricity. I just found it amusing that they would try to send emails to people who don't have electricity.

Randy

Nikon32250 Silver Member Nikonian since 16th Mar 2004Thu 01-Nov-12 09:14 PM
#8. "RE: B&H expects to be open by Wednesday October 31"
In response to Reply # 7

St. Augustine, US

Maybe they are hoping that word of mouth will get the news out. Of course, any one with a car and a plug in charger could check their emails that way unless the cell towers are down.

Graham

snegron Silver Member Nikonian since 05th May 2007Fri 02-Nov-12 01:06 AM
1571 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#9. "RE: B&H expects to be open by Wednesday October 31"
In response to Reply # 8

Cape Coral, Florida, US

A very close friend of mine works for FedEx in that area. He told me that he was ordered in to work on the night of the storm!

Nikon32250 Silver Member Nikonian since 16th Mar 2004Fri 02-Nov-12 01:34 AM
#10. "RE: B&H expects to be open by Wednesday October 31"
In response to Reply # 9

St. Augustine, US

>A very close friend of mine works for FedEx in that area. He
>told me that he was ordered in to work on the night of the
>storm!

Wow, that sounds a bit extreme.

Graham

krf Silver Member Charter MemberFri 02-Nov-12 02:15 AM
754 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#11. "RE: B&H expects to be open by Wednesday October 31"
In response to Reply # 8

Gainesville, US

>Maybe they are hoping that word of mouth will get the news
>out. Of course, any one with a car and a plug in charger could
>check their emails that way unless the cell towers are down.
Unless they are out of gas and their car battery is dead.

Kerry

Nikon32250 Silver Member Nikonian since 16th Mar 2004Fri 02-Nov-12 02:26 AM
#12. "RE: B&H expects to be open by Wednesday October 31"
In response to Reply # 11

St. Augustine, US

>>
>Unless they are out of gas and their car battery is dead.

I did see a photo where a homeowner had electricity and was allowing people to plug their chargers in to an extension cord. That was pretty nice.

Graham

rickpaul Silver Member Charter MemberSun 04-Nov-12 05:40 PM
1807 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#13. "RE: B&H expects to be open by Wednesday October 31"
In response to Reply # 0

Tucson, US

I placed an order with B&H last night. Let's see if it ships on Monday.

--------------------------
Rick Paul
The Photo Professors

Saguaro Shadows Photography
Tucson, Arizona

My Nikonians Gallery

My Nikonians Blog

Peterdan Silver Member Nikonian since 07th Jan 2012Sun 04-Nov-12 07:36 PM
171 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#14. "RE: B&H expects to be open by Wednesday October 31"
In response to Reply # 13

Lebanon, US

>I placed an order with B&H last night. Let's see if it
>ships on Monday.
Good for you maybe you can come to NYC and shoot some photos of
I don't know breezy point where over 100 homes of firefighters live and
Some gave there lives on sept 11. Hay but b&h is selling stuff.

I am not a number. I am a free man!

dm1dave Administrator Awarded for high level knowledge and skills in various areas, most notably in Wildlife and Landscape Writer Ribbon awarded for his excellent article contributions to the Nikonians community Nikonian since 12th Sep 2006Sun 04-Nov-12 08:44 PM
11622 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#15. "RE: B&H expects to be open by Wednesday October 31"
In response to Reply # 14
Sun 04-Nov-12 09:36 PM by dm1dave

Lowden, US

No need to get nasty, Peter.

The fact that the camera shops (B&H, Adorama, etc..) are open again may seem trivial but they and the business that support them (fedex, ups, etc..) employ hundreds of New Yorkers. Those employees need to be back at work to earn badly needed pay checks.

Also the fact that these shops are open is an indication that other businesses in the area are also getting their employees back to work so that they can support their families. Getting businesses back into production and people back to work is a critical step in disaster recovery.

Dave Summers
Lowden, Iowa
Nikonians Photo Contest Director

Nikonians membership -
"My most important photographic investment, after the camera"

My Nikonians Gallery | SummersPhotoGraphic.com | My Crated Gallery
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Showcase your best work in any of our 7 Monthly Nikonians Photo contests.

Wildlife | Landscape | Macro | Sports | Travel | Online Assignments | Best of Nikonians 2014

Peterdan Silver Member Nikonian since 07th Jan 2012Sun 04-Nov-12 10:51 PM
171 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#16. "RE: B&H expects to be open by Wednesday October 31"
In response to Reply # 15
Sun 04-Nov-12 10:55 PM by Peterdan

Lebanon, US

Nasty Dave that is not
my point. If you read my two posts in the sandy thread you would get it.
"Ha ha people with out power still like me.
Some have no food and water.
Most lickly over 100+ dead.
Just spent $3000.00 on a generator.
No D400 or any Nikon gear form. "

Have a great day.

Peterdan Silver Member Nikonian since 07th Jan 2012Sun 04-Nov-12 10:53 PM
#17. "RE: B&H expects to be open by Wednesday October 31"
In response to Reply # 16

Lebanon, US

Tell that to the people in the projects.
Also heard the people are killing each other over gas.

dm1dave Administrator Awarded for high level knowledge and skills in various areas, most notably in Wildlife and Landscape Writer Ribbon awarded for his excellent article contributions to the Nikonians community Nikonian since 12th Sep 2006Sun 04-Nov-12 11:11 PM
11622 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#18. "RE: B&H expects to be open by Wednesday October 31"
In response to Reply # 16

Lowden, US

Yes, Peter, you are being nasty in both of these threads.

Believe me I get it, even without reading your posts. I have lived on the east coast and have had a direct hit by a catastrophic hurricane. People lost their lives, their homes and others lost their livelihood. We were without power for weeks. I understand your frustration, I have lived through it.

You are not helping anyone by taking out your frustrations on the people here on Nikonians.

Dave Summers
Lowden, Iowa

Nikonians membership -

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Wildlife | Landscape | Macro | Sports | Travel | Online Assignments | Best of Nikonians 2014

Peterdan Silver Member Nikonian since 07th Jan 2012Mon 05-Nov-12 12:19 AM
#19. "RE: B&H expects to be open by Wednesday October 31"
In response to Reply # 18

Lebanon, US

So expressing frustration and loss = mean. Your right I don't get it.
But what I do get is I don't need a D400 to replace my D300 and I don't need a SB800 to replace my SB600. But what I do get is life is fleeting and material thing a worthless.
And the thin vale of civility is more fragile then any knows. This is just a taste of the climet to come.
Wait till the 1000 mile wide cat 5 storm.

walkerr Administrator Awarded for his con tributed articles published at the Resources Awarded for his in-depth knowledge in multiple areas Nikonian since 05th May 2002Mon 05-Nov-12 12:36 AM
14724 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#20. "RE: B&H expects to be open by Wednesday October 31"
In response to Reply # 19

Colorado Springs, US

Peter, you've gone through a lot, as have your friends. it's time to take a break.

Rick Walker

My photos:
GeoVista Photography

dm1dave Administrator Awarded for high level knowledge and skills in various areas, most notably in Wildlife and Landscape Writer Ribbon awarded for his excellent article contributions to the Nikonians community Nikonian since 12th Sep 2006Mon 05-Nov-12 01:26 AM
#21. "NT"
In response to Reply # 20
Mon 05-Nov-12 01:28 AM by dm1dave

Lowden, US

NT

Dave Summers
Lowden, Iowa

Nikonians membership -

Covey22 Moderator Expert in various fields including aviation photography Awarded for his contributions to the Resources and The Nikonian eZine Charter MemberMon 05-Nov-12 03:38 PM
10803 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#22. "RE: NT"
In response to Reply # 21

US

My sympathies go out to those heavily affected by the storm's aftermath. Those of us up here in the NorthEast who prepared and were spared are trying to assist those less fortunate; either financially or with volunteer work and other contributions of spare supplies. Life will never be the same for those who have suffered personal losses or tragedies. Nonetheless, the first steps towards recovery are to re-establish as much as possible, normalcy, or what might pass for it given the circumstances.

Personally, I hope none of us forget, especially with the holiday seasons approaching. It's all too easy to do so.

"Toodle-loo from Covey22!"

-Armando
Nikonians Team
Nikonians News - Fresh Everyday!

The Covey Blog!

My Plan:

Get out of the car.
Get closer to the subject.
Pick the right mid-tone this time.

See My Nikonians Gallery

Forums Lobby MULTILINGUAL NIKONIANS English Café (Public) topic #85071 Previous topic | Next topic

Take the Nikonians Tour and learn more about being a Nikonian Wiki /FAQ /Help Listen to our MP3 photography radio channels Find anything on Nikon and imaging technology - fast!

Copyright © Nikonians 2000, 2014
All Rights Reserved

Nikonians®, NikoScope® and NikoniansAcademy™ are trademarks owned by Nikonians.org.
Nikon®, Nikonos® and Nikkor® are registered trademarks of Nikon Corporation.