nikonians

Even though we ARE Nikon lovers,we are NOT affiliated with Nikon Corp. in any way.

| |
Go to a  "printer friendly" view of this message which allow an easy print Print Go to the page which allows you to send this topic link and a message to a friend Email this topic to a friend
Forums Lobby IMAGE SHARING - POST PICTURES FORUMS Online Photo Assignments (Public) topic #9871
View in threaded mode

Subject: "October, 2013 Assignment - Shooting Up" This topic is locked.
Previous topic | Next topic
This message is locked.
rmigliaccio Administrator Nikonian since 10th Mar 2004Tue 01-Oct-13 12:55 PM
4104 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
"October, 2013 Assignment - Shooting Up"

Barrington, US

Please read the Rules and Objectives before you submit a photo for this Assignment.

The October Assignment is “Shooting Up”.

No, I do not mean drugs!

This month's assignment requires you to point your camera up - at least 45 degrees above horizontal. Most of the time we are focused (pun intended) on what is happening in front of us. This month, keep your eyes on what is going on above you - there might be an artistic, wall worthy image just waiting to be captured!

There are no other restrictions except that your image(s) MUST BE TAKEN DURING THE MONTH OF OCTOBER, 2013. I have noticed that some have used archived photos to satisfy an assignment (i.e. photos NOT taken during the month of the assignment). Using images taken prior to October of 2013 is NOT PERMITTED and will be deleted. Please honor the rules of the assignment.

As always, I emphasize “artistic”. Strive to be different; let your artistic juices flow when composing your image. Is the image you post for this assignment one you would be willing to frame and hang on your wall?? Please keep in mind that images will be selected based on image quality, subject matter, relevance to the assignment, and creativity just to name a few.

Also, over the course of the month, you may post no more than four (4) images. I want you to be discriminating in the selection of images you post for this assignment – PLEASE POST ONLY YOUR BEST SHOTS!!!

Also, please:

• Be imaginative and go for the unusual shot. After all, that’s what makes this fun!!!
• Do not use a shot in your archive – the whole point of this exercise is that it is an assignment.
• Submit only artistic shots. Naturally, we want to see your very best work with regard to subject matter and composition - translation – snapshots are not permitted.
• Include shooting data, and ideally, please include your thinking behind the scene – what were you trying/hoping to capture, and did you succeed?

As discussed here, the top five images will be selected by the previous month’s winner and be included in a poll for members to vote for the winning photo. The winning image with be added to our new Monthly Challenge Winner’s Gallery.

I look forward to seeing how you fulfill this assignment!

Good luck!!!

Rob

My Nikonians Gallery

Team Page

My Website

Nikonians® - Worldwide Home for Nikon® Photographers
"Share, Learn and Inspire"

Alert Print | Top

Replies to this topic
olivierrychner Gold Member  Awarded for his long standing high level of commitment to the Nikonians community and demonstrated excellence in the art and science of photography. Nikonian since 03rd Jan 2005Wed 02-Oct-13 08:28 PM
5029 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#1. "Where are the Beatles?"
In response to Reply # 0

Boudry, CH

The main stairwell at school, shot almost vertically

D700, 28-70/2.8, ISO 500, f/8, 1/20. Conversion in LR4.4.

Olivier Rychner

Auta i lomë! And my Nikon's only awaiting daylight...

Alert Print | Top

D2Xstatic Silver Member Nikonian since 16th Mar 2011Thu 10-Oct-13 06:10 PM
898 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#2. "Oak Tree Canopy"
In response to Reply # 0
Thu 10-Oct-13 06:28 PM by D2Xstatic

Eugene, US

D700, 24-120VR @24mm,f5, 1/1250s, ISO 500 processed in LR5, my first pic
using it

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

Attachment #1, (jpg file)

Alert Print | Top

dradford Gold Member Nikonian since 07th Jul 2013Sat 12-Oct-13 05:25 AM
138 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#3. "RE: October, 2013 Assignment - Shooting Up"
In response to Reply # 0

Belleville, CA

Thrill of a lifetime. Taken from the Malecon in Lima, Peru. For 150 soles (about 50 USD) you can take a 10 minute ride.

D90, Nikkor DX AF-S 18-200mm 1:3.5-5.6 G ED @ 48mm, 1/2500s at f/9, ISO 250, WB set to sunny (I think)

Daryl Radford

Alert Print | Top

Dgastrong Gold Member Nikonian since 09th Oct 2012Sat 12-Oct-13 11:03 PM
1244 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#4. "RE: October, 2013 Assignment - Shooting Up"
In response to Reply # 0

Sonoita, US

Sunflower plant from 2013 Harvest Festival.
Thanks,
Dale
D7000, 24-70mmf/2.8 @84mm ISO200, f/7.1, 1/200sec
LR5, Silver Efex Pro 2

Alert Print | Top

pqtrths Silver Member Donor Ribbon awarded for his generous support to the Fundraising Campaign 2014 Nikonian since 02nd May 2007Sat 12-Oct-13 11:11 PM
774 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#5. "RE: October, 2013 Assignment - Shooting Up"
In response to Reply # 0

Dublin, CA, US

Bummer!

I'll abide by the rules without complaining, but I'm sitting here in front of 500 photos taken at the Reno Balloon Festival shot last year.

Mp

Alert Print | Top

robertengle Registered since 22nd Feb 2006Mon 14-Oct-13 11:47 PM
56 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#6. "RE: October, 2013 Assignment - Shooting Up"
In response to Reply # 0
Mon 14-Oct-13 11:53 PM by robertengle

New York, US

Angel Rays
On the Long Island Sound facing west
D200, Nikkor 18-200mm VR II @ 22mm
ISO: 250
1/800 sec at ƒ7.1
Polarizing filter
Post-processing with Lightroom

robert

I know enough to know I don't know enough

My
Nikonians [br />Gallery]

Alert Print | Top

Ferguson Silver Member Nikonian since 20th Aug 2004Thu 17-Oct-13 04:16 AM
3835 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#7. "Dunk City Opens Soon"
In response to Reply # 0

Cape Coral, US

Shot last night at a FGCU scrimmage (for those who don't recall their 15 minutes of fame, they were #15 seed to the NCAA in their first year eligible, and made it to the Sweet 16, and had a few spectacular dunks on the way).

D4, 50/1.8 lens @ 1.8, ISO 3200, 1/640th.

That's Filip Cvjeticanin looking a bit scary as he dunks, so I'm aiming up, he's up... well, shooting.

Linwood

Comments welcomed on pictures: Http://www.captivephotons.com

Alert Print | Top

olivierrychner Gold Member  Awarded for his long standing high level of commitment to the Nikonians community and demonstrated excellence in the art and science of photography. Nikonian since 03rd Jan 2005Thu 17-Oct-13 08:43 PM
5029 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#8. "Ceiling at the Alcazares Reales, Sevilla"
In response to Reply # 0

Boudry, CH

Luck had it I was going to Spain in the course of this month of October... Even if it was a family vacation, I took the D700 along

D700, 28-105 AF-D, ISO 2200, f/7.1, 1/100. PP was in LR4.4 and CS6, with most notably a high-pass filter applied to enhance detail and make it voluntarily "harder".

Olivier Rychner

Auta i lomë! And my Nikon's only awaiting daylight...

Alert Print | Top

skibreeze7 Gold Member Fellow Ribbon awarded for the continuous sharing of his inspirational photographic abilities and for helping and encouraging members as they advance from beginner into advanced photography. Laureate Ribbon awarded for winning in the Best of Nikonians 2013 images Photo Contest Donor Ribbon awarded for his generous support to the Fundraising Campaign 2014 Nikonian since 18th Nov 2006Fri 18-Oct-13 06:41 AM
716 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#9. " Wells Fargo Center"
In response to Reply # 0

Astoria, US

Nikon D800, F/16, 1/30 sec, ISO 100, Zeiss 21mm Distagon

Darryl
Northern Oregon Coast

Alert Print | Top

skibreeze7 Gold Member Fellow Ribbon awarded for the continuous sharing of his inspirational photographic abilities and for helping and encouraging members as they advance from beginner into advanced photography. Laureate Ribbon awarded for winning in the Best of Nikonians 2013 images Photo Contest Donor Ribbon awarded for his generous support to the Fundraising Campaign 2014 Nikonian since 18th Nov 2006Fri 18-Oct-13 06:57 AM
716 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#10. " Sauvie Island Bridge"
In response to Reply # 0

Astoria, US

Nikon D800, F/16, 1/500 sec, ISO 200, Zeiss 21mm Distagon

Darryl
Northern Oregon Coast

Alert Print | Top

gmth Gold Member Awarded for sharing his excellent work and continued contribution to the forums, most notably at the Aviation forum. Donor Ribbon awarded for his generous support to the Fundraising Campaign 2014 Nikonian since 10th Feb 2012Fri 18-Oct-13 11:01 AM
712 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#11. "Big Tex"
In response to Reply # 0

Lewisville, US

The new Big Tex at the Texas State Fair is 55 feet tall...
D4, f4.5 1/800, 100, 85mm

Glenn - Nikonian in North Texas - USA

my Nikonians gallery.

Alert Print | Top

Grubby65 Silver Member Nikonian since 21st Jul 2013Sat 19-Oct-13 02:00 AM
51 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#12. "RE: October, 2013 Assignment - Shooting Up"
In response to Reply # 0
Sat 19-Oct-13 02:51 AM by Grubby65

Wylie, US

This Martin house was abandoned earlier this year. Keeping with the season, maybe it is haunted!

D7000, 24-70mm f2.8 @ 42mm, 1/160 @ f5.6, ISO 800, WB 3650k, Matrix Metering, No Ev Comp, Handheld, Processed in LR5

Alert Print | Top

Grubby65 Silver Member Nikonian since 21st Jul 2013Sat 19-Oct-13 02:04 AM
51 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#13. "RE: Big Tex"
In response to Reply # 11

Wylie, US

Gotta love the new Big Tex!

Alert Print | Top

sl33py Silver Member Nikonian since 24th Apr 2008Sat 19-Oct-13 07:03 AM
340 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#14. "RE: October, 2013 Assignment - Shooting Up"
In response to Reply # 0
Sat 19-Oct-13 07:04 AM by sl33py

Seattle, US

Mexican Hat Rock, UT

d800e, ISO 400, 14-24 @ 14mm, f2.8, 20 x 3min for 1 hr total exposure.

There are a couple from this trip I'd like to submit, this one in particular is a favorite. 2:30-3:30am - super tired, but worth stopping!

Some alone time in the desert... just a spectacular way to decompress!

After some pictures already that night, I was driving from monument valley to gooseneck state park, intending to camp overnight. When I saw the sign for Mexican hat rock - the town previous had some cartoon'ish signs that made me think it might be cool to work into some star shots as an anchor. So i turned around and drove in looking for this (in the dark)... a couple hours later i got this and then fell asleep in the truck! Had a tent, sleeping bag + pad, etc. Just grabbed a blanket and reclined the seat - not the best sleep, but worked out great for AM pics at gooseneck the next morning!

Oct 4th 2:30-3:30 am - i know this meta will likely show when i stitched them on the 7th or 8th, but let me know and i can link to one of the 20 orig for proof if needed?

I hope you like it as much as i do! My first submission to the monthly contests.

rob

Alert Print | Top

sl33py Silver Member Nikonian since 24th Apr 2008Sat 19-Oct-13 07:29 AM
340 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#15. "RE: October, 2013 Assignment - Shooting Up"
In response to Reply # 0

Seattle, US

Monument Valley UT

Found in the dark and got some star tracking done for longer exposure:

d800e, ISO 400, 14-24 @ 15mm, 3min @ f2.8. Tripod and iOptron sky tracker. PP in LR5.

I will have to visit monument valley again in the daytime. I went down for a quick trip and luckily found the spot i was looking for (in the dark w/ no moon). Amazing and clear night, with a couple clouds rolling in late. Got my shots and planned to head to gooseneck state park for another set. Luck had other plans and ended up at mexican hat rock instead!

Fantastic trip, and loved the time in the quiet desert.

I hope you like this one as much as i do!

Rob

Alert Print | Top

tekneektom Gold Member Donor Ribbon awarded for his support to the Fundraising Campaign 2014 Nikonian since 18th Nov 2011Wed 23-Oct-13 04:27 AM
1920 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#16. "Route 66 Motel"
In response to Reply # 0

Land O Lakes, US

D800, Nikkor 85mm 1.8G, ISO 100, f/8, 1/320 sec with circular polarizer

Alert Print | Top

domer2760 Silver Member Fellow Ribbon awarded for his frequent assistance to other members by sharing his perspective, skills and expertise, especially with infrared and macro photography. Donor Ribbon awarded for his generous support to the Fundraising Campaign 2014 Nikonian since 23rd Oct 2010Sun 27-Oct-13 07:09 PM
861 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#17. "Tree Canopy"
In response to Reply # 0

Ann Arbor, US

I was visiting a cemetary this morning looking for some Halloween photos and decided to shoot the tree canopy instead. I laid the camera on a headstone and took a 5 shot bracket spaced 1 EV appart. Nik HDR Pro2 to stack them.

D700. Nikkor 24-120 @ 24mm, f/4, ISO 200.

Dan
Ann Arbor, Michigan

My Flickr Photostream.
Visit my Infrared Photo Blog.

Alert Print | Top

domer2760 Silver Member Fellow Ribbon awarded for his frequent assistance to other members by sharing his perspective, skills and expertise, especially with infrared and macro photography. Donor Ribbon awarded for his generous support to the Fundraising Campaign 2014 Nikonian since 23rd Oct 2010Sun 27-Oct-13 07:27 PM
861 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#18. "Michigan Theater"
In response to Reply # 0
Sun 27-Oct-13 07:30 PM by domer2760

Ann Arbor, US

Went out this morning and shot the upper marquee of the Michigan Theater in Ann Arbor - a local icon. 5 shot HDR with 1EV spacing. Stacked with HDR Pro2 from Nik Software. Handheld.

D700, Nikkor 20-120 @48mm, f/4, ISO 200.

Dan
Ann Arbor, Michigan

My Flickr Photostream.

Alert Print | Top

Viking In Winter Registered since 01st Dec 2011Sun 27-Oct-13 08:26 PM
32 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#19. "Canadian Geese in Tight Formation"
In response to Reply # 0

Mequon, US

D200 20mm lens iso800 1/400th @ f10

Alert Print | Top

Timeshifte Gold Member Nikonian since 10th May 2012Mon 28-Oct-13 04:01 AM
156 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#20. "RE: October, 2013 Assignment - Shooting Up"
In response to Reply # 0

Dayton, US

Taken in the mountains of northern California. I'm here on business and met a great photo friend that has taken me all over this area for photos. Laying on my back shooting at 18mm

Alert Print | Top

GeoNorskie Silver Member Nikonian since 11th Oct 2013Mon 28-Oct-13 10:48 PM
4 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#21. "RE: October, 2013 Assignment - Shooting Up"
In response to Reply # 0

Redding, US

Just joined the forum, so I hope I'm doing this correctly.

Shot this with a rental D600 and the 24-70mm lens at 70 mm; F/5.6, 1/60s, ISO 200. Hand held, lying on my back on the ground looking up at the pink ladies.

Bonnie
Shasta & Mendocino Counties, California

Alert Print | Top

ron917 Silver Member Nikonian since 14th Dec 2012Tue 29-Oct-13 02:51 AM
384 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#22. "Javits Center, New York City"
In response to Reply # 0
Tue 29-Oct-13 02:54 AM by ron917

Andover, NJ, US

Sitting on the floor inside the Javits Center, New York City. I was resting after visiting all of the exhibits at PhotoPlus Expo. The glass roof and walls and the steel supporting structure are impressive.

D600, AF Nikkor 35-80 f/4-5.6D at 55mm
ISO 400, f/8 at 1/250sec
Processing and B&W conversion with Adobe Lightroom 4.4

Best regards,
-Ron

Alert Print | Top

D2Xstatic Silver Member Nikonian since 16th Mar 2011Tue 29-Oct-13 04:30 PM
898 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#23. "Rasberrries From Below"
In response to Reply # 0

Eugene, US

I wanted something different so I set up my tripod below our orange raspberries. I like this shot because it shows the different stages in the life of a berry, from early green through orange. D300, 300mm AFS, 36mm extension tube, remote shutter, ISO 2000, f7.1, 1/200s. LR5

Alert Print | Top

D2Xstatic Silver Member Nikonian since 16th Mar 2011Tue 29-Oct-13 04:32 PM
#24. "Crab Apples"
In response to Reply # 0

Eugene, US

D300, 300mm afs, 36mm extension tube, ISO 1000, f7.1, 1/100s. LR5

Alert Print | Top

tekneektom Gold Member Donor Ribbon awarded for his support to the Fundraising Campaign 2014 Nikonian since 18th Nov 2011Wed 30-Oct-13 02:01 AM
1920 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#25. "Zion National Park"
In response to Reply # 0

Land O Lakes, US

You can't help but shoot up at Zion National Park

D800, Nikkor 85mm 1.8G, ISO 400, f/6.3, 1/250 sec with polarizer

Alert Print | Top

domer2760 Silver Member Fellow Ribbon awarded for his frequent assistance to other members by sharing his perspective, skills and expertise, especially with infrared and macro photography. Donor Ribbon awarded for his generous support to the Fundraising Campaign 2014 Nikonian since 23rd Oct 2010Wed 30-Oct-13 03:55 AM
#26. "Corn Top"
In response to Reply # 0
Wed 30-Oct-13 03:57 AM by domer2760

Ann Arbor, US

Stopped after work today to take this 3-shot HDR photo of the tops of some field corn. The tops are well over my head.

D90, Nikkor 20mm AFD f/2.8, f/16, ISO 200. Monopod. Used Aperture Priority so the individual images had different shutter speeds. Stacked with Nik HDR pro 2.

Dan
Ann Arbor, Michigan

My Flickr Photostream.

Alert Print | Top

tekneektom Gold Member Donor Ribbon awarded for his support to the Fundraising Campaign 2014 Nikonian since 18th Nov 2011Thu 31-Oct-13 11:33 PM
#27. "Cloud Shrouded Peak"
In response to Reply # 0

Land O Lakes, US

D800, Nikkor 85mm 1.8G, ISO, ISO 400, f/7.1, 3 exposures combined in
Nik Efex Pro2.

Alert Print | Top

Forums Lobby IMAGE SHARING - POST PICTURES FORUMS Online Photo Assignments (Public) topic #9871 Previous topic | Next topic