Go to a  "printer friendly" view of this message which allow an easy print Printer-friendly copy Go to the page which allows you to send this topic link and a message to a friend Email this topic to a friend
Forums Lobby IMAGE SHARING - POST PICTURES FORUMS Online Photo Assignments (Public) topic #9789
View in threaded mode

Subject: "August, 2013 Assignment – Patterns" This topic is locked.
Previous topic | Next topic
This message is locked.
rmigliaccio Administrator Nikonian since 10th Mar 2004Thu 01-Aug-13 10:53 AM
4083 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
"August, 2013 Assignment – Patterns"

Barrington, US

Please read the Rules and Objectives before you submit a photo for this Assignment.

The August Assignment is “Patterns”.

Life is filled with patterns. Your job this month is to photograph them. You can emphasize them by filling the frame with a pattern to present the appearance of large numbers. Or be daring and break the pattern with a contrasting object or removing one of the repeating objects.

There are no other restrictions except that your image(s) MUST BE TAKEN DURING THE MONTH OF AUGUST, 2013. I have noticed that some have used archived photos to satisfy an assignment (i.e. photos NOT taken during the month of the assignment). Using images taken prior to August of 2013 is NOT PERMITTED and will be deleted. Please honor the rules of the assignment.

As always, I emphasize “artistic”. Strive to be different; let your artistic juices flow when composing your image. Is the image you post for this assignment one you would be willing to frame and hang on your wall?? Please keep in mind that images will be selected based on image quality, subject matter, relevance to the assignment, and creativity just to name a few.

Also, over the course of the month, you may post no more than four (4) images. I want you to be discriminating in the selection of images you post for this assignment – PLEASE POST ONLY YOUR BEST SHOTS!!!

Also, please:

• Be imaginative and go for the unusual shot. After all, that’s what makes this fun!!!
• Do not use a shot in your archive – the whole point of this exercise is that it is an assignment.
• Submit only artistic shots. Naturally, we want to see your very best work with regard to subject matter and composition - translation – snapshots are not permitted.
• Include shooting data, and ideally, please include your thinking behind the scene – what were you trying/hoping to capture, and did you succeed?

As discussed here, the top five images will be selected by the previous month’s winner and be included in a poll for members to vote for the winning photo. The winning image with be added to our new Monthly Challenge Winner’s Gallery.

I look forward to seeing how you fulfill this assignment!

Good luck!!!

Rob

My Nikonians Gallery

Team Page

My Website

Nikonians® - Worldwide Home for Nikon® Photographers
"Share, Learn and Inspire"

Alert Printer-friendly copy | Top

Replies to this topic
D2Xstatic Silver Member Nikonian since 16th Mar 2011Sun 04-Aug-13 09:49 PM
795 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#1. "Sunflower at sunset"
In response to Reply # 0

Eugene, US

D700, VR24-120f4G, 120mm, f4, ISO 800,1/320s, -0.3EV, hand held

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

Attachment #1, (jpg file)

domer2760 Silver Member Fellow Ribbon awarded for his frequent assistance to other members by sharing his perspective, skills and expertise, especially with infrared and macro photography. Nikonian since 23rd Oct 2010Sat 10-Aug-13 01:14 AM
795 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#2. "3 Patterns"
In response to Reply # 0

Ann Arbor, US

I shot this last weekend. The golden color is from the mottled sunlight that was making the deck glow.
The foreground image is a camera strap on a metal patio table.

D90, Nikkor 18-200 vrII @ 70 mm, f/7.1, 1/25 sec, -0.33 EV, ISO 200, handheld.

Dan
Ann Arbor, Michigan

My Flickr Photostream.
Visit my Infrared Photo Blog.

D2Xstatic Silver Member Nikonian since 16th Mar 2011Tue 13-Aug-13 04:44 PM
#3. "Jet Passing Overhead"
In response to Reply # 0
Tue 13-Aug-13 04:44 PM by D2Xstatic

Eugene, US

D700, 80-200 f2.8D, 80mm, ISO 1600, 8s, f2.8, 0EV

gmth Gold Member Awarded for sharing his excellent work and continued contribution to the forums, most notably at the Aviation forum. Nikonian since 10th Feb 2012Tue 13-Aug-13 05:28 PM
670 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#4. "Rubik's Cube"
In response to Reply # 0

Lewisville, US

D4, f8, 1/6, 85mm, 800 - tripod

Glenn - Nikonian in North Texas - USA

my Nikonians gallery.

kjacl Silver Member Nikonian since 28th Jun 2006Thu 15-Aug-13 03:45 AM
31 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#5. "Star Trail during Perseid Meteor Shower"
In response to Reply # 0

US

Not sure if multiple images stacked counts but this is a compilation of 175 images stacked to get the circular pattern.

Nikon D600
20 sec. shutter locked
35-70mm f2.8
ISO 250

gmth Gold Member Awarded for sharing his excellent work and continued contribution to the forums, most notably at the Aviation forum. Nikonian since 10th Feb 2012Fri 16-Aug-13 10:52 PM
670 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#6. "Wall art"
In response to Reply # 0

Lewisville, US

D4 f4.5 .8sec 100 85mm

Glenn - Nikonian in North Texas - USA

my Nikonians gallery.

patriot1123 Silver Member Nikonian since 09th Jan 2006Mon 19-Aug-13 02:14 AM
416 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#7. "RE: August, 2013 Assignment – Patterns"
In response to Reply # 0

Scottsdale, US

Tennis court net. 105 VR at 1/320, f/16.

-Anne in Arizona

MongoG Gold Member Nikonian since 02nd Jan 2009Tue 20-Aug-13 01:07 AM
177 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#8. "RE: August, 2013 Assignment – Patterns"
In response to Reply # 0

Waunakee, US

All bailed up and no where to go. Local farm field with a nice display of round shapes and horizontal lines
Nikon D800, 24-120mm @ 46mm, ISO 100, f/20, 1/50, tripod
Early evening sunlight. I tried several HDR 5 shot photos and like this one shot exposure better.

Its always important to remember that no matter where you're at, there you are.

domer2760 Silver Member Fellow Ribbon awarded for his frequent assistance to other members by sharing his perspective, skills and expertise, especially with infrared and macro photography. Nikonian since 23rd Oct 2010Tue 20-Aug-13 01:26 AM
#9. "Optical Illusion"
In response to Reply # 0
Tue 20-Aug-13 01:34 PM by domer2760

Ann Arbor, US

This is a photo of microtiter tubes in an 8x12 array. The tubes were lit from below using cross-polarization to give the color. The tubes on the left side sometimes appear to be lying down and sometimes, they are standing up. This isn't Hogwarts so it must be an optical illusion.

D700, Nikkor 24-120 f/4 @120mm, f/8, 1/60 sec, ISO 200, 2 SB600 flashes, a linear polarizing film below the tubes and a circular polarizer on the lens.

Dan
Ann Arbor, Michigan

My Flickr Photostream.

domer2760 Silver Member Fellow Ribbon awarded for his frequent assistance to other members by sharing his perspective, skills and expertise, especially with infrared and macro photography. Nikonian since 23rd Oct 2010Tue 20-Aug-13 02:43 AM
#10. "Binding"
In response to Reply # 0
Tue 20-Aug-13 01:37 PM by domer2760

Ann Arbor, US

This is a photo of a comb binding from a textbook.

D700, Nikkor 105mm Micro VR, f/8, 1/60 sec, ISO 200, SB600 flash.

Dan
Ann Arbor, Michigan

My Flickr Photostream.

tegel Silver Member Nikonian since 12th Jan 2005Wed 21-Aug-13 02:49 AM
131 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#11. "Bubbles"
In response to Reply # 0

Ann Arbor, US

Macro of a spider web taken at the end of the Bog trail in Waterloo Recreation Area in SE Michigan. I was amazed at what I found when zooming in on the image!

D700, Tokina 100mm f/2.8 Macro, 1/500 @ f/6.3, 0 EV, ISO 800, pattern metering, Aperture Priority, Handheld

Tom
Ann Arbor, MI

tegel Silver Member Nikonian since 12th Jan 2005Wed 21-Aug-13 03:04 AM
131 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#12. "Cool Bug!"
In response to Reply # 0

Ann Arbor, US

It's an Ailanthus Webworm Moth (yes, I had to look it up). It was hanging out on my car window one evening. I used the light from the sun off the window to create the white background.

D700, Tokina 100mm f/2.8 Macro, 1/1250 @ f/5.6, -2/3 EV, ISO 1600, Spot Meter, Aperture Priority, tripod.

Tom
Ann Arbor, MI

clayolmstead Silver Member Nikonian since 21st Jul 2010Wed 21-Aug-13 04:25 AM
197 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#13. "RE: August, 2013 Assignment – Patterns"
In response to Reply # 0
Wed 21-Aug-13 04:27 AM by clayolmstead

Austin, US

Requiem for a Smoothie

Clay
Austin, TX USA

MongoG Gold Member Nikonian since 02nd Jan 2009Thu 22-Aug-13 01:41 AM
177 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#14. "RE: August, 2013 Assignment – Patterns"
In response to Reply # 0

Waunakee, US

Feeling Blue (and a little whimsical)
D800, 105mm, f/13, 2.0s, ISO 100, Tripod

MongoG Gold Member Nikonian since 02nd Jan 2009Thu 22-Aug-13 01:43 AM
#15. "RE: August, 2013 Assignment – Patterns"
In response to Reply # 0

Waunakee, US

Feathers
D800, 105mm, 2x teleconverter, tripod, ISO 100, f/16, 2.5s
210mm equivalent

MongoG Gold Member Nikonian since 02nd Jan 2009Thu 22-Aug-13 01:45 AM
#16. "RE: August, 2013 Assignment – Patterns"
In response to Reply # 0

Waunakee, US

Pine Cone
D800, 105mm, tripod, f/13, 3.0s, ISO 100

tekneektom Gold Member Nikonian since 18th Nov 2011Thu 22-Aug-13 05:09 PM
1886 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#17. "Pine Cone - Pattern In Nature"
In response to Reply # 0

Land O Lakes, US

D800, Nikon 85mm, ISO 400, f/16, 1/125 with pop up flash

Dgastrong Gold Member Nikonian since 09th Oct 2012Fri 23-Aug-13 11:28 PM
964 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#18. "RE: August, 2013 Assignment – Patterns"
In response to Reply # 0

Sonoita, US

very simple image, interesting patterns here in this steel screen.
thanks,
Dale

D7000, 105mm f/2.8g, 1/500sec, f/11, ISO500, hand held.

olivierrychner Gold Member  Awarded for his long standing high level of commitment to the Nikonians community and demonstrated excellence in the art and science of photography. Nikonian since 03rd Jan 2005Sat 24-Aug-13 10:56 AM
4973 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#19. "Glass rooftop, broken pattern"
In response to Reply # 0

CH

Taken yesterday in La Chaux-de-Fonds, Switzerland.

D700, 28-105 AF-D, ISO 200, f/4.5, 1/800.

I know I could have used a smaller aperture and still get a hand-holdable shutterspeed, but I did not want to. I was after a certain smoothness against all that metal and glass.

Olivier Rychner

Auta i lomë! And my Nikon's only awaiting daylight...

domer2760 Silver Member Fellow Ribbon awarded for his frequent assistance to other members by sharing his perspective, skills and expertise, especially with infrared and macro photography. Nikonian since 23rd Oct 2010Sat 24-Aug-13 05:49 PM
#20. "Zigzag pattern"
In response to Reply # 0
Sat 24-Aug-13 06:05 PM by domer2760

Ann Arbor, US

Last one for the month. This is an old-fashioned carpenter's rule. It has a numerical and physical pattern.

D700, Nikkor 24-120 f/4 @ 82mm, f/16, 0.3 sec, ISO 2000.

Dan
Ann Arbor, Michigan

My Flickr Photostream.

Dgastrong Gold Member Nikonian since 09th Oct 2012Sun 25-Aug-13 02:05 AM
964 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#21. "RE: August, 2013 Assignment – Patterns"
In response to Reply # 0

Sonoita, US

Perfect Cleavage. No not what you are thinking...
These photos depict the three perfect cleavages of the mineral calcite, (CaCo3).
This is a sphere about 6-inches diameter and was back-lit for the shot. There are diffraction glares in each photo if you look close. Enjoy.

D7000, 24-70mm f/2.8G, ISO100, 1/8 sec, f/20, 45mm eq
D7000, 24-70mm f/2.8G, ISO100, 1/8 sec, f/20, 45mm eq.

Attachment #2, (jpg file)

D2Xstatic Silver Member Nikonian since 16th Mar 2011Sun 25-Aug-13 04:15 PM
#22. "Madrone growth and checking patterns"
In response to Reply # 0
Sun 25-Aug-13 05:32 PM by D2Xstatic

Eugene, US

We are processing many cords of firewood right now and this log end stood out. Madrone is a beautiful wood and burns soooo nicely in December. I googled patterns and got many ideas of different types of patterns, both organic and man-made. Too bad we can only post 4 shots.
D700, VR24-120f4G, 105mm, ISO 200, 1/200s, f5

D2Xstatic Silver Member Nikonian since 16th Mar 2011Sun 25-Aug-13 04:20 PM
#23. "40 year old European headlight"
In response to Reply # 0

Eugene, US

The glass pattern is meant to aim the light in front of the driver and block it from oncoming drivers eyes.
D700, VR24-120f4G, 120mm, 1/160s, f5

jcaraway Silver Member Nikonian since 03rd Jul 2010Wed 28-Aug-13 04:11 PM
34 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#24. "A Little Bathroom Humor"
In response to Reply # 0

Altamonte Spprings, US

Just observing everyday household patterns while meditating.
D-300, Aperture Priority, 18-200VR @ 18mm, f3.5, 1/15s, ISO 200, WB Direct Sunlight - Handheld, but braced.

D2Xstatic Silver Member Nikonian since 16th Mar 2011Wed 28-Aug-13 07:22 PM
#25. "RE: A Little Bathroom Humor"
In response to Reply # 24

Eugene, US

LOL

kennoll Gold Member Nikonian since 07th Feb 2011Wed 28-Aug-13 08:20 PM
811 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#26. "RE: August, 2013 Assignment–Patterns-Retirees shirt closet"
In response to Reply # 0

Seattle, US

Wait! I need to wear a shirt?? Not!

T-shirts'n shorts or Levi's and sweatshirts...Unless we're going to dinner of course.

D300s, Nikkor VR 18-200mm f/3.5-5.6G, 20mm, ISO 400, 1/60s, f/11, -0.3EV, SB400 flash

Ken
Seattle, WA
My Gallery

tekneektom Gold Member Nikonian since 18th Nov 2011Thu 29-Aug-13 02:46 AM
1886 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#27. "Patterns In The Sky"
In response to Reply # 0

Land O Lakes, US

D800, Nikon 85mm at f/9, 1/400, ISO 200

Hotel Sofitel in Chicago at about 6/45 am.

jcaraway Silver Member Nikonian since 03rd Jul 2010Fri 30-Aug-13 12:17 AM
34 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#28. "Mother of Pearl Jewelry Box - Double Exposure"
In response to Reply # 0

Altamonte Spprings, US

Selected single frame, double-exposure to try to capture the intricate detail and overall beauty of this mother of pearl jewelry box. Each exposure is at different zoom and image position in frame. Lots of fun to experiment with.
D300, 18-200VR, Aperture Priority, ISO 200, f5.6, 1/30s, WB fluorescent, tripod.
PEARL JEWELRY BOX.

jcaraway Silver Member Nikonian since 03rd Jul 2010Fri 30-Aug-13 12:27 AM
#29. "Ceramic Pitcher - Single Frame, Double Exposure"
In response to Reply # 0

Altamonte Spprings, US

Selected single frame, double-exposure to capture the detail of the adornment pattern and overall form of this hand crafted ceramic pitcher from the NC hills. Each exposure is at different zoom and image position in frame. Lots of fun to experiment with.
D300, 18-200VR, Aperture Priority, ISO 200, f5.3, 1/10s, WB cloudy, tripod.

jcaraway Silver Member Nikonian since 03rd Jul 2010Fri 30-Aug-13 12:34 AM
#30. "Mother of Pearl Jewelry Box"
In response to Reply # 0

Altamonte Spprings, US

Couldn't pass up the opportunity to capture the awesome pattern and colors of this mother of pearl jewelry box we brought back from Egypt.
D300, 18-200VR @24mm, Aperture Priority, f4.5, 1/8s, ISO 1EV under 200, WB Flourescent.

tekneektom Gold Member Nikonian since 18th Nov 2011Fri 30-Aug-13 03:51 AM
#31. "Hancock Building, Chicago - Triangles, Rectangles and Lines"
In response to Reply # 0

Land O Lakes, US

D800, Nikon 85mm at ISO 200, f/4.5, 1/50 sec. Processed in LR4 and Silver Efex

tekneektom Gold Member Nikonian since 18th Nov 2011Sat 31-Aug-13 04:52 AM
#32. "Burberry Exterior At Night"
In response to Reply # 0

Land O Lakes, US

While walking on Michigan Ave at night I came across the Burberry Store with it's unique metallic black plaid exterior.

D800, Nikkor 50mm f/1.8 at ISO 1000 at 1/60 sec.

kennoll Gold Member Nikonian since 07th Feb 2011Sat 31-Aug-13 07:27 AM
811 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#33. "RE: August, 2013 Assignment – Patterns - Random Pattern"
In response to Reply # 0
Sat 31-Aug-13 07:27 AM by kennoll

Seattle, US

D300s, Nikkor VR 18-200mm f/3.5-5.6G, 18mm, ISO 200, 20s, f/5.6, -0.3EV

Ken
Seattle, WA
My Gallery

cosmicfires Silver Member Nikonian since 22nd Nov 2011Sat 31-Aug-13 12:22 PM
371 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#34. "Wave Patterns"
In response to Reply # 0
Sat 31-Aug-13 12:27 PM by cosmicfires

Lynnwood, US

my website

domer2760 Silver Member Fellow Ribbon awarded for his frequent assistance to other members by sharing his perspective, skills and expertise, especially with infrared and macro photography. Nikonian since 23rd Oct 2010Sat 31-Aug-13 08:51 PM
#35. "RE: Burberry Exterior At Night"
In response to Reply # 32

Ann Arbor, US

Tom,
Nice series. I especially like this one.

Dan
Ann Arbor, Michigan

My Flickr Photostream.

patriot1123 Silver Member Nikonian since 09th Jan 2006Sun 01-Sep-13 12:18 AM
416 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#36. "RE: August, 2013 Assignment – Patterns"
In response to Reply # 0

Scottsdale, US

Tennis court patio cover.

Nikon 105 VR, f/8, 1/2000

-Anne in Arizona

tekneektom Gold Member Nikonian since 18th Nov 2011Sun 01-Sep-13 03:37 AM
#37. "RE: Burberry Exterior At Night"
In response to Reply # 35

Land O Lakes, US

Thanks Dan! We're in Chicago celebrating our 45th Anniversary and having a great time.

Tom

Forums Lobby IMAGE SHARING - POST PICTURES FORUMS Online Photo Assignments (Public) topic #9789 Previous topic | Next topic

Take the Nikonians Tour and learn more about being a Nikonian Wiki /FAQ /Help Listen to our MP3 photography radio channels Find anything on Nikon and imaging technology - fast!

Copyright © Nikonians 2000, 2014
All Rights Reserved

Nikonians®, NikoScope® and NikoniansAcademy™ are trademarks owned by Nikonians.org.
Nikon®, Nikonos® and Nikkor® are registered trademarks of Nikon Corporation.