nikonians

Even though we ARE Nikon lovers,we are NOT affiliated with Nikon Corp. in any way.

| |

Home Forums Articles Galleries News Workshops Shop Recommended
members
All members Wiki Contests Vouchers Apps Newsletter THE NIKONIAN™ Magazines Podcasts Fundraising
Go to a  "printer friendly" view of this message which allow an easy print Print Go to the page which allows you to send this topic link and a message to a friend Email this topic to a friend
Forums Lobby MASTER YOUR VISION Micro, Macro & Close-up (Public) topic #52195
View in threaded mode

Subject: "Sept Contest: Stacking" This topic is locked.
Previous topic | Next topic
This message is locked.
Valentino Gold Member Awarded for high level skills in landscape and wildlife photography   US  Nikonian since 04th Dec 2004 Sat 31-Aug-13 02:48 PM
11613 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
"Sept Contest: Stacking"
Thu 26-Sep-13 11:26 PM by dm1dave

This months theme is Stacking. As most of you know, the closer you get to the subject the smaller the DOF making macro/closeup work not only challenging but sometimes impossible to get a desired area sharp in a single image. Stacking, shooting multiple images focused at different points and combining, is a way to get around this limitation. Software like Heliconsoft.com. CombineZP or Photoshop can be used to create a stack.

Please include information regarding your technique and the software you used with your posts. I know some Nikonians do this very well and others have not yet tried it so this contest will be somewhat educational for many of us.

Participating in our monthly contests is a fun way help us become better photographers. We can see and learn from all of the entries as our members showcase their best work each month.

These monthly contests are the preliminary rounds for the Annual Nikonians Photo Contest where you have the opportunity to win attractive prizes and have your images highlighted in the Winners Galleries and published in the eZine.

The top images will be selected by the winner of the previous months challenge and will be included in a poll for members to vote for the winning photo. Please keep in mind that images will be selected based on image quality, subject matter, relevance to the theme, and creativity just to name a few.

The winning image will be added to the Macro Forum Winner’s Gallery. The winner will be recognized in our weekly newsletter and will receive a printable Certificate of Photographic Achievement.

I look forward to seeing how you fulfill this challenge!

Good luck!!!

RULES:
-- Post up to 5 images but only one image per post
-- This is a contest – Please present your best, portfolio quality, work
-- Include shooting info so we can learn from each other
-- Previously posted images are welcome but not previous contest winners.
-- When posting please do so by hitting the ‘reply’ link below this top post, not the reply link to another post.
-- Include a title in the subject line
-- Capture must be shot with a Nikon camera and any lens
-- Comments are welcome but NO public critiquing, i.e., how to make it better. This is a contest so PM's are a better way to offer feedback
-- WARNING Posts that do not meet the spirit of the challenge will not be selected as finalists and may be periodically removed by the moderators without notice.

Albert J Valentino
Nikonian Moderator Emeritus

Vantage Point Images
Mastery of Composition is the Key to Great Photography

Alert Print | Top

Replies to this topic
jtmcg Gold Member  Simsbury, US  Nikonian since 22nd Mar 2007 Wed 04-Sep-13 02:32 PM
4035 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#1. "Skipper on Yarrow"
In response to Reply # 0

D800,105 f/2.8, 1/10s, f/8, ISO 100, tripod 5 frame stack

John

Attachment #1, (jpg file)

Alert Print | Top

jtmcg Gold Member  Simsbury, US  Nikonian since 22nd Mar 2007 Wed 04-Sep-13 02:40 PM
4035 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#2. "Skipper on Vetch #2"
In response to Reply # 0

D800, 105 f/2.8, 1/20s, f/8, ISO 100, tripod, 5 frame stack

John

Alert Print | Top

BSchirm Gold Member Laureate Ribbon awarded for winning in the Best of Nikonians 2013 images Photo Contest   Rolling Hills, US  Nikonian since 07th Dec 2005 Fri 06-Sep-13 01:48 AM
2712 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#3. "RE: Skipper on Vetch #2"
In response to Reply # 2

Beautiful, John!

Barry

Nikonians Gallery

Alert Print | Top

victoria_photoguy Gold Member  Victoria, CA  Nikonian since 03rd May 2010 Fri 06-Sep-13 03:52 PM
35 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#4. "skipper"
In response to Reply # 2

Impressive texture and detail Beautiful.

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

Alert Print | Top

jtmcg Gold Member  Simsbury, US  Nikonian since 22nd Mar 2007 Fri 06-Sep-13 07:17 PM
#5. "RE: Skipper on Vetch #2"
In response to Reply # 3

Thanks Barry.

John

Alert Print | Top

jtmcg Gold Member  Simsbury, US  Nikonian since 22nd Mar 2007 Fri 06-Sep-13 07:18 PM
#6. "RE: skipper"
In response to Reply # 4

Thanks Monty.

John

Alert Print | Top

snaefell   Berlin, DE  Registered since 01st Jun 2009 Sat 07-Sep-13 07:33 PM
1267 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#7. "RE: Sept Contest: Stacking"
In response to Reply # 0

Hi,
this view into the tulip is composed of 25 single shots with my D3, a 2,8/105 Micro Nikkor and a macro slider. Processing of the images was done with Helicon Focus.

Click on image to view larger version

best

Christian

Visit
My photos from Iceland
my Nikonians gallery.

Alert Print | Top

snaefell   Berlin, DE  Registered since 01st Jun 2009 Sat 07-Sep-13 07:36 PM
1267 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#8. "RE: Sept Contest: Stacking"
In response to Reply # 0

Hi,
another stacked shot is this inside of a Lily. Taken with a D3, a 105 Micro Nikkor and a slider, the processing was done with Helicon Focus. Composed from 11 single images.

best

Christian

Visit
My photos from Iceland
my Nikonians gallery.

Alert Print | Top

mfphoto1   Cincinnati, US  Registered since 29th Oct 2005 Sun 08-Sep-13 11:04 PM
733 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to send message via AOL IM
#9. "RE: Sept Contest: Stacking"
In response to Reply # 0

This is my second try at stacking. First try doing it handheld.

D800, sigma 150 macro, ISO 100, F5.0, 1/200

"Step into my world and see as I see"

My Nikonians Gallery

Alert Print | Top

philipl Gold Member  Oxford, US  Nikonian since 31st May 2007 Tue 10-Sep-13 01:12 PM
1748 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#10. ".500 Mag"
In response to Reply # 0

D300, 105 macro, SB800, F14, 1/125 sec, Benro tripod, Markins head 5 stack (combine ZP). Barrel is 8 3/4" long

Philip

Do not settle for mediocrity. Rather strive for excellence for even in that attempt lies a measure of success.

My Gallery

Alert Print | Top

lukaswerth   Lahore, PK  Registered since 24th May 2012 Sun 15-Sep-13 07:23 AM
405 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#11. "RE: Skipper on Vetch #2"
In response to Reply # 2

I am not normally much into macro fotography, but passing by I saw this picture:

The notion of morning coolness! really amazing!

Lukas

Trying to be a keeper of the light

http://www.flickr.com/photos/lukaswerth/

also see my Nikonians gallery:
http://images.nikonians.org/galleries/member.php/uid/444897

Alert Print | Top

natashadak Silver Member  San Francisco, US  Nikonian since 08th May 2004 Sun 15-Sep-13 08:14 AM
82 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#12. "bay berry"
In response to Reply # 0

D7000 105 f2.8 VR
f6.3 .2 sec
six files from a RRS rail
stacked w/helicon focus

Alert Print | Top

lukaswerth   Lahore, PK  Registered since 24th May 2012 Sun 15-Sep-13 08:36 AM
405 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#13. "RE: .500 Mag"
In response to Reply # 10

No comment about technical quality, but...

I am perfectly aware of the connection many people in the USA draw between freedom and the right to wear guns, and I live in a country (Pakistan) where guns are equally cherished and even more abundant, with a mortality- and crime rate to match. However, I think the above mentioned connection depends on a basic flaw and is very detrimental. I therefore personally strongly dislike pictures which apparently celebrate guns and gun culture, just as i don't like comparisons drawn between guns and photography ("shooting", "when aiming you do the same as holding a rifle...").

Just adding my two pennies,

Lukas

Alert Print | Top

jtmcg Gold Member  Simsbury, US  Nikonian since 22nd Mar 2007 Sun 15-Sep-13 09:26 AM
#14. "RE: Skipper on Vetch #2"
In response to Reply # 11

Thanks Lukas.

John

Alert Print | Top

Matthew Gregory Silver Member  Glenwood, US  Nikonian since 18th Oct 2011 Sun 15-Sep-13 10:18 PM
240 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#15. "RE: .500 Mag"
In response to Reply # 10

Excellent image - impressive, too, considering the depth!!!

Nice pistol, too. ; )

Alert Print | Top

Matthew Gregory Silver Member  Glenwood, US  Nikonian since 18th Oct 2011 Sun 15-Sep-13 10:19 PM
240 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#16. "RE: Sept Contest: Stacking"
In response to Reply # 8

Excellent - this one really grabbed me!

Alert Print | Top

hnease Silver Member  Germantown, US  Nikonian since 30th Aug 2012 Mon 16-Sep-13 12:45 AM
189 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#17. "geranium buds"
In response to Reply # 0

Shot with d7000, nikkor 105 micro, gitzo tripod, manual focus adjustment, stack of 15 images using Helicon focus.

howard

Alert Print | Top

hnease Silver Member  Germantown, US  Nikonian since 30th Aug 2012 Mon 16-Sep-13 12:52 AM
189 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#18. "clover"
In response to Reply # 0

Shot with d7000, nikkor 105 micro, gitzo tripod, manual focus adjustment, stack of 9 images using Helicon focus.

howard

Alert Print | Top

snaefell   Berlin, DE  Registered since 01st Jun 2009 Tue 17-Sep-13 11:10 AM
#19. "RE: Sept Contest: Stacking"
In response to Reply # 16

>Excellent - this one really grabbed me!

thanks for your comment.

best

Christian

Visit
My photos from Iceland
my Nikonians gallery.

Alert Print | Top

Dgastrong Gold Member  Sonoita, US  Nikonian since 09th Oct 2012 Thu 26-Sep-13 11:57 PM
1309 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#20. "RE: Sept Contest: Stacking"
In response to Reply # 0

Galena Crystals from Peru, skeletal growth, light coating of golden pyrite.
11 images
D7000, 105mm f/2.8G, ISO 320, f/3.5, 1/13sec

Enjoy,
Dale

Alert Print | Top

Apalach Silver Member  Tallahassee, US  Nikonian since 04th May 2009 Fri 27-Sep-13 04:55 AM
275 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#21. "RE: Sept Contest: Stacking"
In response to Reply # 0
Fri 27-Sep-13 05:06 AM by Apalach

Here is a image stack of a Giant Leopard Moth (Hypercompe or Ecpantheria scribonia) from North Florida. It was exactly 1.5 inches long. I wanted to capture it in a single, in-focus, head-first, stacked image using the Helicon Focus software. The result is this 11-stack image at 1/60 sec., f/22, ISO 640, with the Nikon D90, Nikon SB-400 Speedlight, and Tokina AT-X Pro D 100 mm f/2.8 macro lens, aperture priority, on a Spiratone Versatile tripod with the Adorama large focus rail. I purposely chose the most difficult type of macro shot involving a head-first image of an 1.5 inch long moth to demonstrate the power of focus-stacking of a large macro subject with a relatively huge depth of field.

Alert Print | Top

natashadak Silver Member  San Francisco, US  Nikonian since 08th May 2004 Sun 29-Sep-13 07:39 AM
82 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#22. "yellow, brown, green and white"
In response to Reply # 0

D7000 105 f2.8 VR
f11 .6 sec
five files from a RRS rail
stacked w/helicon focus

Alert Print | Top

MongoG Gold Member  Waunakee, US  Nikonian since 02nd Jan 2009 Sun 29-Sep-13 05:04 PM
178 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#23. "RE: Sept Contest: Stacking"
In response to Reply # 0

Red Anthurium Flower
Nikon D800, Nikkor 105mm f/2.8 micro lens, ISO 400, f/6.3, 1/60, Tripod, Really Right Stuff dual rails, Fluorescent lighting through a diffuser, 6 shot manual focus stack of photos. Used photoshop to stack photos, align, and blend.
First attempt at a stacked photo composite. The monthly assignments always push you to learn and experiment - thanks! Even though from front to back was only about an inch, getting everything in focus in the composite was a bit of a challenge.
Thanks again for looking.
Gary

Its always important to remember that no matter where you're at, there you are.

Alert Print | Top

lukaswerth   Lahore, PK  Registered since 24th May 2012 Sun 29-Sep-13 06:02 PM
#24. "RE: yellow, brown, green and white"
In response to Reply # 22

Some cave-like landscape of dead leaves. Marvelous!

Lukas

Alert Print | Top

Forums Lobby MASTER YOUR VISION Micro, Macro & Close-up (Public) topic #52195 Previous topic | Next topic