nikonians

Even though we ARE Nikon lovers,we are NOT affiliated with Nikon Corp. in any way.

| |
Go to a  "printer friendly" view of this message which allow an easy print Printer-friendly copy Go to the page which allows you to send this topic link and a message to a friend Email this topic to a friend
Forums Lobby MASTER YOUR VISION - BY SPECIALTY Micro, Macro & Close-up (Public) topic #51963
View in threaded mode

Subject: "August Contest: Digital Artistry" Previous topic | Next topic
Valentino Gold Member Awarded for high level skills in landscape and wildlife photography Nikonian since 04th Dec 2004Wed 31-Jul-13 11:16 PM
11613 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
"August Contest: Digital Artistry"

US

This months theme is Digital Artistry.

Most photos are somewhat enhanced with image editing programs like Photoshop and various plugins. But for contests the line in the sand occurs when excessive post processing makes the picture look less like a photo and more like a painting or some type of surrealistic art form. Those type of photos are normally not permitted as they can measure ones digital darkroom skills over their photographic skills. However, once in while we have contest theme dedicated to Digital Art. This month you can let your imagination run wild to create Digital Art Closeups - in other words you have a license to Photoshop and do any enhancements as you your creative juices and software lets you.

Mentioning the software you used is optional.

RULES:
--Post up to 7 images but only one image/post
--Include shooting info so we can learn from each other
--Previously posted images are welcome but not previous contest winners
--When posting please do so by hitting the ‘reply’ link below this top post, not the reply link to another post.
--Include a title in the subject line
--Capture must be shot with a Nikon camera and any lens
--Comments are welcome but NO public critiquing, i.e., how to make it better. This is a contest so PM's are a better way to offer feedback
--WARNING Posts that do not meet the spirit of the challenge will not be selected as finalists and may be periodically removed by the moderators without notice

The top images will be selected by the previous months winner and be included in a poll for members to vote for the winning photo. The winning image will be added to the Macro Contest Winners Gallery
--Posts that do not meet the spirit of the challenge will not be selected as finalists - and may or may not be randomly removed during the month without notice. To be considered as a finalist the post must be a Landscape - see criteria here, AND also meet the monthly theme such that the theme is a standout feature - what one thinks about when looking at the picture. Image enhancement in the digital darkroom is acceptable as long as the final result looks mostly like a photo - the exception is when the theme specifically allows for digital art.

Six images will be selected by the previous months winner and be included in a poll for members to vote for the winning photo. The winning image will be added to the Landscape Winners Gallery

Good Luck

Albert J Valentino
Nikonian Moderator Emeritus

Vantage Point Images
Mastery of Composition is the Key to Great Photography

Alert Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic
skibreeze7 Gold Member Fellow Ribbon awarded for the continuous sharing of his inspirational photographic abilities and for helping and encouraging members as they advance from beginner into advanced photography. Laureate Ribbon awarded for winning in the Best of Nikonians 2013 images Photo Contest Donor Ribbon awarded for his generous support to the Fundraising Campaign 2014 Nikonian since 18th Nov 2006Fri 02-Aug-13 08:34 AM
711 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#1. "Slinkies"
In response to Reply # 0

Astoria, US

Nikon D7000, F/11, 1/60 sec (with flash), ISO 200, Tamron 90mm macro

Darryl
Northern Oregon Coast

Attachment #1, (jpg file)

skibreeze7 Gold Member Fellow Ribbon awarded for the continuous sharing of his inspirational photographic abilities and for helping and encouraging members as they advance from beginner into advanced photography. Laureate Ribbon awarded for winning in the Best of Nikonians 2013 images Photo Contest Donor Ribbon awarded for his generous support to the Fundraising Campaign 2014 Nikonian since 18th Nov 2006Fri 02-Aug-13 08:37 AM
711 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#2. "Straws"
In response to Reply # 0

Astoria, US

Nikon D7000, F/32, 1/250 sec, ISO 400, Tamron 90mm macro

Darryl
Northern Oregon Coast

skibreeze7 Gold Member Fellow Ribbon awarded for the continuous sharing of his inspirational photographic abilities and for helping and encouraging members as they advance from beginner into advanced photography. Laureate Ribbon awarded for winning in the Best of Nikonians 2013 images Photo Contest Donor Ribbon awarded for his generous support to the Fundraising Campaign 2014 Nikonian since 18th Nov 2006Fri 02-Aug-13 08:43 AM
#3. "Emerald Ring of Mordor"
In response to Reply # 0

Astoria, US

Nikon D80, F/16, 1/8 sec, ISO 100, Tamron 90mm macro

Darryl
Northern Oregon Coast

skibreeze7 Gold Member Fellow Ribbon awarded for the continuous sharing of his inspirational photographic abilities and for helping and encouraging members as they advance from beginner into advanced photography. Laureate Ribbon awarded for winning in the Best of Nikonians 2013 images Photo Contest Donor Ribbon awarded for his generous support to the Fundraising Campaign 2014 Nikonian since 18th Nov 2006Fri 02-Aug-13 08:47 AM
#4. "The Eyes Have It"
In response to Reply # 0

Astoria, US

Nikon D7000, F/8, 1/8 sec, ISO 800, Tamron 90mm macro

Darryl
Northern Oregon Coast

AUMike Silver Member Nikonian since 04th Feb 2008Fri 02-Aug-13 06:00 PM
1199 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#5. "RE: The Eyes Have It"
In response to Reply # 4

Birmingham, US

Darryl, you are too much. Thanks for sharing! Good stuff.

Mike

vizz Silver Member Laureate Ribbon awarded for winning in the Best of Nikonians 2013 images Photo Contest Nikonian since 19th Aug 2011Fri 02-Aug-13 09:33 PM
143 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#6. "The Arena Falls"
In response to Reply # 0

Karlovac, HR

Nikon 1 V1, FL 110 mm, 1/250s, F/5.6, ISO 280

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

vizz Silver Member Laureate Ribbon awarded for winning in the Best of Nikonians 2013 images Photo Contest Nikonian since 19th Aug 2011Fri 02-Aug-13 09:44 PM
143 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#7. "Lightbending"
In response to Reply # 0

Karlovac, HR

Nikon D700, FL 70 mm, 0,5sec, F/13, ISO 200

AUMike Silver Member Nikonian since 04th Feb 2008Sat 03-Aug-13 01:26 AM
1199 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#8. "Peach Blossoms"
In response to Reply # 0

Birmingham, US

When I first saw these blossoms I thought they were cherry blossoms. Silly me. Several weeks later I saw peaches. Pretty strange for peaches to grown on a cherry tree, right?

D300, Nikkor 300mm AFS F4, f/14, 1/800, ISO 800, Various textures applied.

skibreeze7 Gold Member Fellow Ribbon awarded for the continuous sharing of his inspirational photographic abilities and for helping and encouraging members as they advance from beginner into advanced photography. Laureate Ribbon awarded for winning in the Best of Nikonians 2013 images Photo Contest Donor Ribbon awarded for his generous support to the Fundraising Campaign 2014 Nikonian since 18th Nov 2006Sat 03-Aug-13 04:33 AM
#9. "RE: The Eyes Have It"
In response to Reply # 5

Astoria, US

Thanks for your gracious comments, Mike.

Best wishes,
Darryl

SheriB Silver Member Awarded for sharing her exceptional images and details of rural farm life. Nikonian since 11th Sep 2010Mon 05-Aug-13 02:31 AM
1836 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#10. "Water Lily in B&W"
In response to Reply # 0
Mon 05-Aug-13 02:36 AM by SheriB

US

D300s with Tamron 90mm macro,f/25.1/8s, ISO 200 Converted to B&W and basic processing done in ViewNX2. Used Microsoft PictureIt 9 to add an embossing effect and remove a few white floaters (bugs) in the water. (and edited to add a frame)

Sheri Becker

glxman Silver Member Nikonian since 04th Oct 2008Sun 04-Aug-13 07:30 AM
3021 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#11. "RE: August Contest: Digital Artistry"
In response to Reply # 0

South Australia, AU

Rosemary flower
Regards,
Gary

glxman Silver Member Nikonian since 04th Oct 2008Sun 04-Aug-13 07:32 AM
3021 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#12. "Rosemary flower 2"
In response to Reply # 0

South Australia, AU

Regards,
Gary

birdied Silver Member Laureate Ribbon awarded for winning in the Best of Nikonians 2013 images Photo Contest Nikonian since 07th Sep 2009Thu 08-Aug-13 02:01 AM
651 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#13. "RE: August Contest: Digital Artistry"
In response to Reply # 0

Destrehan, US

Wonderfully creative shots everyone !

Birdie

Choices Matter

Visit

www.birdied.zenfolio.com

PhotoSpydie Silver Member Donor Ribbon awarded for her support to the Fundraising Campaign 2014 Nikonian since 17th Jul 2011Thu 08-Aug-13 12:12 PM
198 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#14. "RE: Peach Blossoms"
In response to Reply # 8

Buckeye, US

I love this image. Using digital enhancing really adds to some images and this one is perfect. It looks more like a fine art piece on canvas than a photographic image.

Carol
photospydie.com

PhotoSpydie Silver Member Donor Ribbon awarded for her support to the Fundraising Campaign 2014 Nikonian since 17th Jul 2011Thu 08-Aug-13 12:13 PM
198 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#15. "RE: Water Lily in B&W"
In response to Reply # 10

Buckeye, US

Wow. I love the detail and abstractness of the image.

Carol
photospydie.com

AUMike Silver Member Nikonian since 04th Feb 2008Thu 08-Aug-13 06:09 PM
#16. "RE: Peach Blossoms"
In response to Reply # 14

Birmingham, US

Thanks, Carol. Glad you like.

Mike

domer2760 Silver Member Fellow Ribbon awarded for his frequent assistance to other members by sharing his perspective, skills and expertise, especially with infrared and macro photography. Nikonian since 23rd Oct 2010Thu 08-Aug-13 11:55 PM
848 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#17. "Thistle"
In response to Reply # 0

Ann Arbor, US

I was drawn to the lighting of this thistle plant when I took the photo. I pushed the processing to increase the drama.

Nikon D300s, Nikkor 70-300 @ 300mm, f/10, -1EV, 1/200 sec, hand held.

Dan
Ann Arbor, Michigan

My Flickr Photostream.
Visit my Infrared Photo Blog.

AUMike Silver Member Nikonian since 04th Feb 2008Fri 09-Aug-13 12:16 AM
#18. "New Rose"
In response to Reply # 0
Fri 09-Aug-13 12:20 AM by AUMike

Birmingham, US

D200, Nikkor 105VR, f/11, .6s, ISO 100.

Various textures applied.

AUMike Silver Member Nikonian since 04th Feb 2008Fri 09-Aug-13 12:20 AM
#19. "Water Lillie"
In response to Reply # 0

Birmingham, US

D300, Nikkor 300mm AFS F4, f/10, 1/200s, ISO 800

Various textures applied

domer2760 Silver Member Fellow Ribbon awarded for his frequent assistance to other members by sharing his perspective, skills and expertise, especially with infrared and macro photography. Nikonian since 23rd Oct 2010Fri 09-Aug-13 03:44 AM
848 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#20. "Habitat"
In response to Reply # 0
Fri 09-Aug-13 03:46 AM by domer2760

Ann Arbor, US

This is a macro image of a pinecone. I added some digital creatures to create a habitat. I am taking Albert's license to Photoshop literally.

Pinecone photo was taken with a D300s, Nikkor 70-180mm Micro @ 180mm, 2 sec exposure, f/40, +0.7EV, Tripod and remote release. Digital creatures were created in Photoshop from some lizard photos.

Dan
Ann Arbor, Michigan

My Flickr Photostream.

KenLPhotos Gold Member Nikonian since 26th Jul 2009Sat 10-Aug-13 05:08 PM
1463 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#21. "RE: August Contest: Digital Artistry"
In response to Reply # 0
Sat 10-Aug-13 05:16 PM by KenLPhotos

Stewartstown, US

My post process discovery was using the 'Pin Light' blending mode when blending a positive and negative copy of a single image. Pin Light only blends the colors in a narrow luminosity band so some color ranges remain and some are negative. The three color spaces, RGB, CMYK and LAB, all result in differing color combinations, most of which are ghastly, but occasionally the results are stunning.

NIKON D700, 105.0 mm f/2.8, ISO 3200, 1/125 s at f/16.0

KenL

There are many 'images of beautiful objects' but few 'beautiful images of objects'.

KenLPhotos Gold Member Nikonian since 26th Jul 2009Sat 10-Aug-13 05:11 PM
1463 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#22. "RE: August Contest: Digital Artistry"
In response to Reply # 0
Sat 10-Aug-13 05:15 PM by KenLPhotos

Stewartstown, US

My post process discovery was using the 'Pin Light' blending mode when blending a positive and negative copy of a single image. Pin Light only blends the colors in a narrow luminosity band so some color ranges remain and some are negative. The three color spaces, RGB, CMYK and LAB, all result in differing color combinations, most of which are ghastly, but occasionally the results are stunning.

NIKON D700, 105.0 mm f/2.8, ISO 2200, 1/125 s at f/32.0

KenL

There are many 'images of beautiful objects' but few 'beautiful images of objects'.

KenLPhotos Gold Member Nikonian since 26th Jul 2009Sat 10-Aug-13 05:14 PM
#23. "RE: August Contest: Digital Artistry"
In response to Reply # 0

Stewartstown, US

NIKON D700, 105.0 mm f/2.8, ISO 3200, 1/80 s at f/57.0

KenL

KenLPhotos Gold Member Nikonian since 26th Jul 2009Sat 10-Aug-13 05:18 PM
#24. "RE: August Contest: Digital Artistry"
In response to Reply # 0

Stewartstown, US

NIKON D700, 105.0 mm f/2.8, ISO 900, 1/125 s at f/29.0

KenL

KenLPhotos Gold Member Nikonian since 26th Jul 2009Sat 10-Aug-13 05:20 PM
#25. "RE: August Contest: Digital Artistry"
In response to Reply # 0

Stewartstown, US

NIKON D700, 105.0 mm f/2.8, ISO 3200, 1/125 s at f/16.0

KenL

domer2760 Silver Member Fellow Ribbon awarded for his frequent assistance to other members by sharing his perspective, skills and expertise, especially with infrared and macro photography. Nikonian since 23rd Oct 2010Sat 10-Aug-13 06:41 PM
#26. "Table Arrangement"
In response to Reply # 0
Sat 10-Aug-13 07:03 PM by domer2760

Ann Arbor, US

This was part of a table arrangement from my nephew's wedding. I used photoshop and NIK filters to recreate the feel of a painting that my Mom had.

D700, Nikkor 135 DC f/2, f/5, 1/125 sec, ISO 200, Handheld.

Dan
Ann Arbor, Michigan

My Flickr Photostream.

robsb Platinum Member Fellow Ribbon awarded for his expertise in CNX2 and his always amicable and continuous efforts to help members Laureate Ribbon awarded for winning in the Best of Nikonians 2013 images Photo Contest Donor Ribbon awarded for his enthusiastic and repeated support to the Fundraising Campaign 2014 Nikonian since 23rd Aug 2006Sun 11-Aug-13 11:15 PM
13328 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to send message via AOL IM
#27. "Thai Dragon"
In response to Reply # 26

San Jose, US

I shot the un-manipulated image of a Thai Dragon Sculpture in 1971 with a Nikon Photomic T on Kodachrome slide film. Recently I scanned the image with my Epson Perfection V700 and SilverFast Archive Suite. At this point I took the conventional image into Capture NX2.3.1 64 bit and did a first process. The image was OK but a bit boring, so I started to play with a layering of a number of NIK CEP 3.0 filters for NX2 and finally came up with this.

Camera: Nikon Photomic T
Lens and Filters: not recorded
Film and/or ISO: Kodachrome
Aperture: not recorded
Shutter speed: not recorded

Bob Baldassano
My Nikonians Gallery

"Nikonians membership - My most important photographic investment, after the
camera"

Retirement is a gift of time - Don't waste it!

robsb Platinum Member Fellow Ribbon awarded for his expertise in CNX2 and his always amicable and continuous efforts to help members Laureate Ribbon awarded for winning in the Best of Nikonians 2013 images Photo Contest Donor Ribbon awarded for his enthusiastic and repeated support to the Fundraising Campaign 2014 Nikonian since 23rd Aug 2006Sun 11-Aug-13 11:18 PM
13328 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to send message via AOL IM
#28. "The Embrace_Artistic"
In response to Reply # 0

San Jose, US

Shot this butterfly on a gusty day in Red Bluff CA as he was drinking in the nectar from a wild flower. D700 with 300 mm f/4 AFS and 1.7 Nikon IIE teleconverter. f/7.1, 1/640 hand held, ISO 200. Processed This Artistic Version in Capture NX2 with NIK Filters. Copyright added in CS5 Extended.

Bob Baldassano
My Nikonians Gallery

camera"

robsb Platinum Member Fellow Ribbon awarded for his expertise in CNX2 and his always amicable and continuous efforts to help members Laureate Ribbon awarded for winning in the Best of Nikonians 2013 images Photo Contest Donor Ribbon awarded for his enthusiastic and repeated support to the Fundraising Campaign 2014 Nikonian since 23rd Aug 2006Sun 11-Aug-13 11:21 PM
#29. "Murano Horse Close Up"
In response to Reply # 0

San Jose, US

This is a custom made Murano Glass Horse made for me in Venice a few years back. I decided to try a close up with my 16 mm Nikon Fisheye f/2.8 lens by available window light. D700 with 16 mm f/2.8 Fisheye, f/8, 1/5s on Tripod, ISO 1600.

Horse RAW image processed and defished in Capture NX2 and background added in PS CS4 Extended.

Bob Baldassano
My Nikonians Gallery

camera"

robsb Platinum Member Fellow Ribbon awarded for his expertise in CNX2 and his always amicable and continuous efforts to help members Laureate Ribbon awarded for winning in the Best of Nikonians 2013 images Photo Contest Donor Ribbon awarded for his enthusiastic and repeated support to the Fundraising Campaign 2014 Nikonian since 23rd Aug 2006Sun 11-Aug-13 11:30 PM
#30. "Crime Scene"
In response to Reply # 0

San Jose, US

I stumbled upon this crime scene today; it was awful there was carrot juice everywhere! Amazingly the carrot was still alive, so I called 911 and took this picture after the police arrived. I went to the hospital to visit the carrot, and he looked pretty bad with tubes stuck in him everywhere. I was there when the doctor came in and told the carrot that he had good news and bad news. The carrot asked "What's the good news?" and the doctor answered "You are going to live". The carrot asked "Then what's the bad news" The doctor responded "Your going to be a vegetable the rest of your life!"

Carrot and knife taken with D200 and 200 mm Micro Nikkor mounted on a Star D 100 tripod. f/16, 1.8 sec MLU, ISO 200. This image was processed in Capture NX. The rest was created in PS CS3 Extended and then composited.

Bob Baldassano
My Nikonians Gallery

camera"

robsb Platinum Member Fellow Ribbon awarded for his expertise in CNX2 and his always amicable and continuous efforts to help members Laureate Ribbon awarded for winning in the Best of Nikonians 2013 images Photo Contest Donor Ribbon awarded for his enthusiastic and repeated support to the Fundraising Campaign 2014 Nikonian since 23rd Aug 2006Sun 11-Aug-13 11:34 PM
#31. "Digital Capture"
In response to Reply # 0

San Jose, US

While taking care if my stir craziness today, not only did I shoot the Electronic Shoebox images already posted, but I shot a flower and had other hard drive disk pictures left over. Tonight I got the idea to recycle these into a composite that represents digital capture i.e. taking an image and capturing it as 1's and o's to magnetic media, in this case a hard drive. All photos were shot with a 200 mm f/4 Micro Nikkor. The o's and o's were created in Photoshop CS3 Extended.

Camera: D200
Lens and Filters: 200mm f/4 AFD EDIF Micro Nikkor
Film and/or ISO: 200
Aperture: f/4.5 (Flower); F/20 (disk)
Shutter speed: 1/40s (Flower); 4s (Disk)

Bob Baldassano
My Nikonians Gallery

camera"

robsb Platinum Member Fellow Ribbon awarded for his expertise in CNX2 and his always amicable and continuous efforts to help members Laureate Ribbon awarded for winning in the Best of Nikonians 2013 images Photo Contest Donor Ribbon awarded for his enthusiastic and repeated support to the Fundraising Campaign 2014 Nikonian since 23rd Aug 2006Sun 11-Aug-13 11:44 PM
#32. "Homage to Salvator Dali"
In response to Reply # 0

San Jose, US

I am a big fan of Dali. This little exercise mimics his famous melting time pieces. Original macro photo of a Breitling Chronograph was distorted in Photoshop using the warp and Liquefy filters.

Camera: D200
Lens and Filters: 55 mm F/2.8 Micro Nikkor AIS
Film and/or ISO: 200
Aperture: f/22
Shutter speed: 1s

Bob Baldassano
My Nikonians Gallery

camera"

robsb Platinum Member Fellow Ribbon awarded for his expertise in CNX2 and his always amicable and continuous efforts to help members Laureate Ribbon awarded for winning in the Best of Nikonians 2013 images Photo Contest Donor Ribbon awarded for his enthusiastic and repeated support to the Fundraising Campaign 2014 Nikonian since 23rd Aug 2006Sun 11-Aug-13 11:49 PM
#33. "Zebra"
In response to Reply # 0

San Jose, US

My thanks to Albert Valentino who made the suggestion on how to improve this image. I have revised it as he suggested, and believe it is now much better. This photo has a long story and was created way before Photoshop. Original was color slide, from which a hi contrast image was duped on ho contrast film. Resultant image was sandwiched off register in an enlarger and a paper image was produced. The paper image was copied as a paper negative and then pencil was used on the back to mask out unwanted areas. This negative was then used to produce positive prints. I have scanned one of those prints to upload here. The result is an image that has fine detail in some areas - see ears, and none in others giving the strange look. Of course today this would be a piece of cake in Photoshop.

Camera: Nikon F3
Lens and Filters: not recorded
Film and/or ISO: Slide Film, Kodak Hi contrast
Aperture: not recorded
Shutter speed: not recorded

Bob Baldassano
My Nikonians Gallery

camera"

Searider Silver Member Nikonian since 16th Nov 2004Mon 12-Aug-13 02:29 AM
231 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#34. "WireWeave"
In response to Reply # 0

Austin, US

This is an old Ribbon Cable

D800
1/45s
ISO 400
Nikkor 105mm at f6.7
Post Process in Photoshop with a variety of tools.

-------------------------------------------------
You can't have a light without a dark to stick it in.
-- Arlo Guthrie --

-Michael-

More Pictures : http://pbase.com/mboswell

domer2760 Silver Member Fellow Ribbon awarded for his frequent assistance to other members by sharing his perspective, skills and expertise, especially with infrared and macro photography. Nikonian since 23rd Oct 2010Mon 12-Aug-13 09:55 PM
#35. "Unopened Sunflower"
In response to Reply # 0

Ann Arbor, US

I wanted to present a different take on the standard sunflower photo. Instead of an open sunflower, I photographed a bud before the petals opened. The NIK solarization filter was used to create the lighting effect. The photo was converted to a true monochrome image using LastDaylight's (Mark Smith's) channel deletion technique. In this case however, I deleted the red and blue channels.

D700, Nikkor 20mm f/2.8 AFD, f/9, 1/200 sec, ISO 800, handheld.

Dan
Ann Arbor, Michigan

My Flickr Photostream.

domer2760 Silver Member Fellow Ribbon awarded for his frequent assistance to other members by sharing his perspective, skills and expertise, especially with infrared and macro photography. Nikonian since 23rd Oct 2010Wed 14-Aug-13 01:32 AM
#36. "Sunflower (color version)"
In response to Reply # 0

Ann Arbor, US

For those of you who may be interested in the color version of the sunflower opening photo. The camera information is the same as the previous photo.

Dan
Ann Arbor, Michigan

My Flickr Photostream.

gmth Gold Member Awarded for sharing his excellent work and continued contribution to the forums, most notably at the Aviation forum. Nikonian since 10th Feb 2012Thu 15-Aug-13 01:29 PM
687 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#37. "Flower Oil Painting"
In response to Reply # 0

Lewisville, US

D800, f4.5, 1/15, 6400, 55mm
Photoshop Oil Paint Filter

Glenn - Nikonian in North Texas - USA

my Nikonians gallery.

gmth Gold Member Awarded for sharing his excellent work and continued contribution to the forums, most notably at the Aviation forum. Nikonian since 10th Feb 2012Thu 15-Aug-13 01:32 PM
687 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#38. "Rubik's Cube Liquid"
In response to Reply # 0

Lewisville, US

D4, f8, 1/6, 800, 85mm
Photoshop Liquify Filter

Glenn - Nikonian in North Texas - USA

my Nikonians gallery.

Searider Silver Member Nikonian since 16th Nov 2004Fri 16-Aug-13 02:06 AM
231 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#39. "Alien Message"
In response to Reply # 0

Austin, US

D800
long exposures from 1s to 10s
F27 (mostly to block any ambient light)
Nikon 105mm

Using a copy stand I took long exposers of a red laser pointer on a white piece of paper. In post, I combined several of these shots, changing the red to Blue and green plus various other manipulation

You can't have a light without a dark to stick it in.
-- Arlo Guthrie --

-Michael-

More Pictures : http://pbase.com/mboswell

jordivb Silver Member Nikonian since 01st Mar 2009Sun 18-Aug-13 09:29 AM
620 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#40. "RE: Water Lily in B&W"
In response to Reply # 10

Manresa, ES

Lovely!

Jordi
-Barcelonian-

jordivb Silver Member Nikonian since 01st Mar 2009Sun 18-Aug-13 09:30 AM
620 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#41. "RE: Habitat"
In response to Reply # 20

Manresa, ES

Brilliant!

Jordi
-Barcelonian-

jordivb Silver Member Nikonian since 01st Mar 2009Sun 18-Aug-13 09:34 AM
#42. "RE: Homage to Salvator Dali"
In response to Reply # 32

Manresa, ES

Excellent!
Should come to Figueres to admire the originals and we would share a beer!
Cheers!

Jordi
-Barcelonian-

domer2760 Silver Member Fellow Ribbon awarded for his frequent assistance to other members by sharing his perspective, skills and expertise, especially with infrared and macro photography. Nikonian since 23rd Oct 2010Mon 19-Aug-13 02:27 AM
#43. "RE: Habitat"
In response to Reply # 41

Ann Arbor, US

Thanks Jordi. I appreciate your comments. I liked how the iridiscent lizard scales gave the digital creations an unusual look. It was fun to play with something new.

Hope you are having a great Summer!

Dan
Ann Arbor, Michigan

My Flickr Photostream.

lastdaylight Gold Member Laureate Ribbon awarded for winning in the Best of Nikonians 2013 images Photo Contest Nikonian since 09th Dec 2007Mon 19-Aug-13 05:54 AM
827 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#44. "RE: Sunflower (color version)"
In response to Reply # 36

Dallas, US

Awesome, Dan.

Mark Smith
Just like I previsualized it, more or less...

My Nikonians Gallery

My Website, www.lastdaylight.com

vizz Silver Member Laureate Ribbon awarded for winning in the Best of Nikonians 2013 images Photo Contest Nikonian since 19th Aug 2011Mon 19-Aug-13 10:47 AM
#45. "Butterfly"
In response to Reply # 0

Karlovac, HR

D700, Sigma 150 mm, 1/640 sec, f/11, ISO 320
Taken in an olive grove a couple of days ago...

AUMike Silver Member Nikonian since 04th Feb 2008Tue 20-Aug-13 12:35 AM
#46. "Flowering Blueberries"
In response to Reply # 0

Birmingham, US

D300, Nikkor 300mm AFS F4, f/14, 1/800s, ISO 800

Various textures added

domer2760 Silver Member Fellow Ribbon awarded for his frequent assistance to other members by sharing his perspective, skills and expertise, especially with infrared and macro photography. Nikonian since 23rd Oct 2010Tue 20-Aug-13 03:42 PM
#47. "RE: Sunflower (color version)"
In response to Reply # 44

Ann Arbor, US

Thanks Mark. I appreciate your comments as always.

Dan
Ann Arbor, Michigan

My Flickr Photostream.

domer2760 Silver Member Fellow Ribbon awarded for his frequent assistance to other members by sharing his perspective, skills and expertise, especially with infrared and macro photography. Nikonian since 23rd Oct 2010Wed 21-Aug-13 04:52 AM
#48. "Far Orbit"
In response to Reply # 0

Ann Arbor, US

This digital creation was put together entirely from macro elements. The rocks are guanidinium thiocyanate crystals taken with a D90 and a Nikon microscope (100X). The space craft/station is a macro shot of a CD spindle lit by cross-polarization (D700). Even the little planet in the distance started out as a macro shot of an orange. The astrophotographers amoung you will notice that this solar system has two suns with with the nearer sun located to the right and above the "camera."

Dan
Ann Arbor, Michigan

My Flickr Photostream.

Okinawan Heidi Silver Member Nikonian since 19th May 2011Wed 21-Aug-13 11:02 PM
56 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#49. "RE: August Contest: Digital Artistry"
In response to Reply # 0

JP

A combination of pictures I took here in Okinawa with Nikon D800 and D3x. Processed with Corel painter and PS CS6.

Okinawan Heidi Silver Member Nikonian since 19th May 2011Thu 22-Aug-13 12:27 PM
56 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#50. "RE: August Contest: Digital Artistry"
In response to Reply # 0

JP

A kind farmer on Okinawa. Nikon D200, Corel Painter and Photoshop CS4

Okinawan Heidi Silver Member Nikonian since 19th May 2011Thu 22-Aug-13 12:30 PM
#51. "RE: August Contest: Digital Artistry"
In response to Reply # 0

JP

My Friend Higa, Nikon D200 Corel Painter 11 and Photoshop CS4

domer2760 Silver Member Fellow Ribbon awarded for his frequent assistance to other members by sharing his perspective, skills and expertise, especially with infrared and macro photography. Nikonian since 23rd Oct 2010Fri 23-Aug-13 03:54 AM
#52. "Blue "
In response to Reply # 0
Fri 23-Aug-13 01:06 PM by domer2760

Ann Arbor, US

Believe it or not, this is a photo of a boring beige telephone cord wrapped around a (black) telephoto lens. I inverted the image (which turned out cool) and used the NIK solarization filter to achieve the effect below. Did not have to do much after that.

D700, Nikkor 105mm f/2.8 VR, f/3, 1/60 sec, ISO 200, onboard flash for fill -0.33 EV.

Dan
Ann Arbor, Michigan

My Flickr Photostream.

jdroach Platinum Member Fellow Ribbon awarded. John exhibits true Nikonian spirit by frequently posting images and requesting comments and critique, which he graciously accepts. He is an inspiration to all of us through constant improvement in his own work, keen observations and excellent commentary on images posted by others. Donor Ribbon. Awarded for his very generous support to the Fundraising Campaign 2014 Nikonian since 21st Mar 2009Wed 28-Aug-13 04:38 PM
4832 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#53. "RE: August Contest: Digital Artistry -- Mum in Monochrome"
In response to Reply # 0

Milwaukee, US

Taken with D800, 90mm Tamron F2.8, ISO 400, 1/6s, f/32, -1.3 EV, Lightroom 5, Photoshop CS6 and Topaz.

jdroach, a Milwaukee area and sometimes Chicago area Nikonian.

Visit my Nikonians Blog

Visit my Nikonian gallery

My Flickr Photostream

jdroachphotography.com

jdroach Platinum Member Fellow Ribbon awarded. John exhibits true Nikonian spirit by frequently posting images and requesting comments and critique, which he graciously accepts. He is an inspiration to all of us through constant improvement in his own work, keen observations and excellent commentary on images posted by others. Donor Ribbon. Awarded for his very generous support to the Fundraising Campaign 2014 Nikonian since 21st Mar 2009Wed 28-Aug-13 04:42 PM
4832 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#54. "RE: August Contest: Digital Artistry; Monochrome Mums-A Study"
In response to Reply # 0

Milwaukee, US

Nikon D800, 90mm Tamron f2.8 lens, ISO 400, 1/10s, f/25, Controlled Natural Light, Lightroom 5, Photoshop CS6, and Nik Effects.

Visit my Nikonians Blog

My Flickr Photostream

jdroachphotography.com

jdroach Platinum Member Fellow Ribbon awarded. John exhibits true Nikonian spirit by frequently posting images and requesting comments and critique, which he graciously accepts. He is an inspiration to all of us through constant improvement in his own work, keen observations and excellent commentary on images posted by others. Donor Ribbon. Awarded for his very generous support to the Fundraising Campaign 2014 Nikonian since 21st Mar 2009Wed 28-Aug-13 04:47 PM
#55. "RE: August Contest: Digital Artistry: Textured Mums-A Study"
In response to Reply # 0

Milwaukee, US

Taken with D800, 90mm Tamron, ISO 400, 1/10s, f/25, Lightroom 5, CS6 and onOne Layer Effects

Visit my Nikonians Blog

My Flickr Photostream

jdroachphotography.com

jdroach Platinum Member Fellow Ribbon awarded. John exhibits true Nikonian spirit by frequently posting images and requesting comments and critique, which he graciously accepts. He is an inspiration to all of us through constant improvement in his own work, keen observations and excellent commentary on images posted by others. Donor Ribbon. Awarded for his very generous support to the Fundraising Campaign 2014 Nikonian since 21st Mar 2009Wed 28-Aug-13 04:49 PM
#56. "RE: August Contest: Digital Artistry: High Key Mums-A Study"
In response to Reply # 0

Milwaukee, US

Taken with D800, 90mm Tamron, f/25, ISO 400, 1/10s, Lightroom 5 and Photoshop CS6.

Visit my Nikonians Blog

My Flickr Photostream

jdroachphotography.com

MongoG Gold Member Nikonian since 02nd Jan 2009Sat 31-Aug-13 04:39 PM
178 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#57. "RE: August Contest: Digital Artistry"
In response to Reply # 0

Waunakee, US

Water Lily
Nikon D300, Nikkor 105mm, f6.3, 1/250, ISO=400, WB - Cloudy, Aperture Priority, Pattern metering, manual focus.
Using the oil painting filter in PS - trying for a very subtle, real looking oil painting

Its always important to remember that no matter where you're at, there you are.

Forums Lobby MASTER YOUR VISION - BY SPECIALTY Micro, Macro & Close-up (Public) topic #51963 Previous topic | Next topic