Go to a  "printer friendly" view of this message which allow an easy print Printer-friendly copy Go to the page which allows you to send this topic link and a message to a friend Email this topic to a friend
Forums Lobby MASTER YOUR VISION - BY SPECIALTY Micro, Macro & Close-up (Public) topic #50736
View in threaded mode

Subject: "April Contest: Photo Gear" This topic is locked.
Previous topic | Next topic
This message is locked.
Valentino Gold Member Awarded for high level skills in landscape and wildlife photography Nikonian since 04th Dec 2004Sun 31-Mar-13 07:39 PM
11613 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
"April Contest: Photo Gear"

US

This months theme is Photo Gear

For this one we will focus on something we all have, photo gear. The gear does not need to be Nikon. It can be a lens, camera, accessories of any make, model or year, vintage gear is welcome. As always, it is about well compose and exposed, appropriately sharp subjects closeup.

RULES:
--Post up to 7 images but only one image/post
--Include shooting info so we can learn from each other
--Previously posted images are welcome but not previous contest winners
--When posting please do so by hitting the ‘reply’ link below this top post, not the reply link to another post.
--Include a title in the subject line
--Capture must be shot with a Nikon camera and any lens
--Comments are welcome but NO public critiquing, i.e., how to make it better. This is a contest so PM's are a better way to offer feedback
--WARNING Posts that do not meet the spirit of the challenge will not be selected as finalists and may be periodically removed by the moderators without notice

The top images will be selected by the previous months winner and be included in a poll for members to vote for the winning photo. The winning image will be added to the Macro Contest Winners Gallery

Albert J Valentino
Nikonian Moderator Emeritus

Vantage Point Images
Mastery of Composition is the Key to Great Photography

Alert Printer-friendly copy | Top

Replies to this topic
domer2760 Silver Member Fellow Ribbon awarded for his frequent assistance to other members by sharing his perspective, skills and expertise, especially with infrared and macro photography. Nikonian since 23rd Oct 2010Thu 04-Apr-13 04:28 PM
731 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#1. "Lens by Candlelight"
In response to Reply # 0

Ann Arbor, US

Mounted the D700/24-120 f/4 combination on the tripod and placed a taper in front of the lens. Had to use a lot of negative exposure compensation to tame the glare. The candle was the only illumination for this shot.

You can see several of the elements within the lens. It was interesting to note that the two leftmost flame images are inverted and are getting larger. This is probably a reflection from the mirror that is making its way back through the lens.

D90IR (720nm conversion), Nikkor 105mm VR f/2.8, f/11, 1/100 sec, -2.67EV, ISO 320. Converted to BW with Silver Effects Pro 2.

Dan
Ann Arbor, Michigan

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

My Flickr Photostream.
Visit my Infrared Photo Blog.
Follow me on Facebook.

Attachment #1, (jpg file)

domer2760 Silver Member Fellow Ribbon awarded for his frequent assistance to other members by sharing his perspective, skills and expertise, especially with infrared and macro photography. Nikonian since 23rd Oct 2010Sat 06-Apr-13 01:42 AM
731 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#2. "Master of Darkness"
In response to Reply # 0
Sat 06-Apr-13 01:44 AM by domer2760

Ann Arbor, US

I love this camera for shooting in low light situations so, a low light photo seemed appropriate. The camera is a D700. I chose the 100mm Series E lens because it was shiny and the focus ring nubs were more distinctive. It's all about the nubs...

D90IR (720nm conversion), 20mm AFD f/2.8, f/8, 1/15 sec, ISO 800, Tripod.

Dan
Ann Arbor, Michigan

My Flickr Photostream.
Follow me on Facebook.

domer2760 Silver Member Fellow Ribbon awarded for his frequent assistance to other members by sharing his perspective, skills and expertise, especially with infrared and macro photography. Nikonian since 23rd Oct 2010Sat 06-Apr-13 11:13 PM
#3. "Morgue Camera"
In response to Reply # 0

Ann Arbor, US

All cameras record little bits of history with each click. This camera did that for years but along the way, it acquired a macabre history of its own. This Canon AT-1 camera and the manual focus 50mm FD Macro lens spent much of their working life in the morgue at St. Joseph Mercy Hospital in Ann Arbor taking photos of ... well, parts. The camera was given to my boss (a pathologist) when his Chief of Service retired and my boss passed it to me upon his retirement. The back is engraved with "Morgue" and the hospital name. I'm sure it could tell some stories.

D700, Nikkor 24-120 f/4 @ 100mm, f/8, -1.67 EV, 1/10 sec, ISO 200, 2 SB-800 speedlights.

Dan
Ann Arbor, Michigan

My Flickr Photostream.
Follow me on Facebook.

Bzox Silver Member Nikonian since 31st May 2009Mon 08-Apr-13 08:59 PM
25 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#4. "Big Dady"
In response to Reply # 0

Sarajevo, BA

Nikon D200
Tamron 90mm f2.8
SB800 + 2xSB200

domer2760 Silver Member Fellow Ribbon awarded for his frequent assistance to other members by sharing his perspective, skills and expertise, especially with infrared and macro photography. Nikonian since 23rd Oct 2010Mon 08-Apr-13 09:33 PM
#5. "RE: Big Dady"
In response to Reply # 4

Ann Arbor, US

Great shot! Love the lighting.

Dan
Ann Arbor, Michigan

My Flickr Photostream.
Follow me on Facebook.

dm1dave Administrator Awarded for high level knowledge and skills in various areas, most notably in Wildlife and Landscape Writer Ribbon awarded for his excellent article contributions to the Nikonians community Nikonian since 12th Sep 2006Tue 09-Apr-13 04:51 PM
11279 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#6. "The Big Gun"
In response to Reply # 0
Tue 09-Apr-13 04:52 PM by dm1dave

Lowden, US

D300 | 105mm Micro VR
f/8 | 1.3sec | ISO-200

Dave Summers
Lowden, Iowa
Nikonians Photo Contest Director

Nikonians membership -
"My most important photographic investment, after the camera"

My Nikonians Gallery | SummersPhotoGraphic.com | My Crated Gallery
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Showcase your best work in any of our 7 Monthly Nikonians Photo contests.

Wildlife | Landscape | Macro | Sports | Travel | Online Assignments | Best of Nikonians 2014

MongoG Gold Member Nikonian since 02nd Jan 2009Mon 15-Apr-13 02:18 AM
176 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#7. "RE: April Contest: Photo Gear"
In response to Reply # 0

Waunakee, US

Lens Baby
D800, Nikor 105mm f/2.8, manual focus, ISO 100, Aperture mode, f/11, .6s, auto WB, Tripod.

Used a mirror underneath with a white board background. To make the photo a bit more interesting I used a flash light to paint the surface of the lens baby and to shine focused light through the lens to project the pattern of the aperture insert onto the background.

Its always important to remember that no matter where you're at, there you are.

lastdaylight Gold Member Laureate Ribbon awarded for winning in the Best of Nikonians 2013 images Photo Contest Nikonian since 09th Dec 2007Tue 16-Apr-13 01:38 AM
798 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#8. "Aperture"
In response to Reply # 0

Dallas, US

Looks like everyone was thinking lenses Here's my take, with the blades and a touch of color created by the anti-reflective coatings. This is the view down into the 18-55 DX.

D300, 60mm D micro, f/9, 0.5 sec, ISO 200

Mark Smith
Just like I previsualized it, more or less...

My Nikonians Gallery

My Website, www.lastdaylight.com

wdcrvr Silver Member Nikonian since 18th Sep 2012Sat 20-Apr-13 02:46 PM
77 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#9. "Flash Dance"
In response to Reply # 0
Sat 20-Apr-13 02:53 PM by wdcrvr

Vancouver, CA

Part of my collection of vintage lighting gear.

D5000, AF-S DX 35mm f/1.8G, ISO 200, F/11, 1/6 sec, Velbon VS-3 tripod with horizontal arm, four 100w photo floods at each corner. Couldn't use flash because they were all in the shot.

----------------------------------------------------
"In theory there is no difference between theory and practice, but in practice there is."

MongoG Gold Member Nikonian since 02nd Jan 2009Sun 21-Apr-13 01:02 AM
176 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#10. "RE: April Contest: Photo Gear"
In response to Reply # 0

Waunakee, US

"Focus"
Nikon D800, Nikkor 105 mm f/2.8 micro, Tripod, fixed lighting, no flash, WB auto, Aperture priority, f/16, 2.5s, ISO 100, pattern metering.

2 Really Right Stuff macro focusing rails

MongoG Gold Member Nikonian since 02nd Jan 2009Sun 21-Apr-13 01:07 AM
#11. "RE: April Contest: Photo Gear"
In response to Reply # 0

Waunakee, US

"Six Pack"

Nikon D800, Nikkor 105mm f/2.8 micro, tripod, fixed lighting, no flash, WB auto, Aperture Priority, f/6.3, 0.5s, ISO 100, pattern metering.

My NAS is alive and well!

MongoG Gold Member Nikonian since 02nd Jan 2009Sun 21-Apr-13 01:10 AM
#12. "RE: April Contest: Photo Gear"
In response to Reply # 0

Waunakee, US

"Shades"

D800, 105mm f/2.8 micro, tripod, fixed lighting, off camera flash, WB auto, Aperture priority, f/16, 1/60, ISO 100, pattern metering

KenLPhotos Gold Member Nikonian since 26th Jul 2009Sun 21-Apr-13 01:35 AM
1396 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#13. "RE: April Contest: Photo Gear - Smile #4750"
In response to Reply # 0

Stewartstown, US

Notice the two names, Graphex and Graphlex.

105.0 mm f/2.8, 0.4 s at f/13.0, ISO 3200

KenL

There are many 'images of beautiful objects' but few 'beautiful images of objects'.

dm1dave Administrator Awarded for high level knowledge and skills in various areas, most notably in Wildlife and Landscape Writer Ribbon awarded for his excellent article contributions to the Nikonians community Nikonian since 12th Sep 2006Sun 21-Apr-13 02:57 PM
11279 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#14. "D800"
In response to Reply # 0

Lowden, US

A new D800 shot with my D300.

D300 | 105mmm VR
f/7.1 | 1/800s | ISO-800

Dave Summers
Lowden, Iowa

Nikonians membership -

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Wildlife | Landscape | Macro | Sports | Travel | Online Assignments | Best of Nikonians 2014

dm1dave Administrator Awarded for high level knowledge and skills in various areas, most notably in Wildlife and Landscape Writer Ribbon awarded for his excellent article contributions to the Nikonians community Nikonian since 12th Sep 2006Sun 21-Apr-13 03:50 PM
#15. "FX"
In response to Reply # 0

Lowden, US

D300 | 105mm VR
f/5 | 1/3200s | ISO-800

Dave Summers
Lowden, Iowa

Nikonians membership -

benveniste Moderator Awarded for is high level skills in various areas, including Macro and Landscape Photography Nikonian since 25th Nov 2002Sun 21-Apr-13 05:16 PM
9418 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to send message via AOL IM
#16. "Old School"
In response to Reply # 0

Boston Area, US

D800, 105mm VR, f/16, 1/200th, Sunpak FP38 through diffusion.

"There is no real magic in photography, just the sloppy intersection of physics and art." — Kirk Tuck

Rob_ZN Gold Member Nikonian since 23rd Dec 2012Sun 21-Apr-13 08:39 PM
108 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#17. "RE: April Contest: Photo Gear"
In response to Reply # 0

Durban, ZA

A shot of a Kodak SIX-20 'BROWNIE' D I picked up at a market a few years ago. Thought I'd add a bit of interest by "shooting" one of my lenses through the Brownie viewfinder.

I set the Brownie on the table, with the lens in front of it. I stood above the brownie and positioned myself and my camera so I could see the lens in the small viewfinder and took a shot. I took it handheld, though it may have been a better idea to use a tripod.

Lighting is from a flash on camera left, positioned low enough to bring out the text in the leather strap.

Taken using D7000, Tamron 60mm/f2.0 Macro lens.
ISO100, f16, 1/200
Converted to B&W and a bit of a Sepia(ish) tone aded in Lightroom.

Snapshott Silver Member Nikonian since 01st Sep 2007Mon 22-Apr-13 01:29 AM
396 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#18. "Vivitar 70-150mm f3.8"
In response to Reply # 0

Richmond, US

Vivitar 70-150mm f3.8 Macro Focusing 1 touch with fungus

Nikon D80, Tamron 90mm f2.8 macro, 7.1 sec, f11 ISO100

domer2760 Silver Member Fellow Ribbon awarded for his frequent assistance to other members by sharing his perspective, skills and expertise, especially with infrared and macro photography. Nikonian since 23rd Oct 2010Mon 22-Apr-13 03:35 AM
#19. "RE: Vivitar 70-150mm f3.8"
In response to Reply # 18

Ann Arbor, US

Ouch! Great shot, though. What is the light source?

Dan
Ann Arbor, Michigan

My Flickr Photostream.
Follow me on Facebook.

Snapshott Silver Member Nikonian since 01st Sep 2007Mon 22-Apr-13 01:22 PM
396 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#20. "RE: Vivitar 70-150mm f3.8"
In response to Reply # 19

Richmond, US

>Ouch! Great shot, though. What is the light source?

I had just purchased this lens used and was taking a quick pic to show the seller the problem I had with the lens. I believe I used an LED flashlight shooting through the lens to show the fungus (on the rear element). It has 8 or 9 individual leds and I believe this is what's causing the hot spots on the lens elements. The front lighting would have been ambient light from either window and/or overhead lighting.

jordivb Silver Member Nikonian since 01st Mar 2009Mon 29-Apr-13 11:21 AM
620 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#21. "Voigtländer Vitessa T 1"
In response to Reply # 0

Manresa, ES

I enjoyed shooting this series as a little hommage to the very first camera I ever grabbed. That was around 40 years ago. My father, who's 89, still proudly owns it.
D300 Nikkor AF Micro 105 f2.8D @ 1/40s f3.3 ISO 200 window light

Jordi
-Barcelonian-

jordivb Silver Member Nikonian since 01st Mar 2009Mon 29-Apr-13 11:23 AM
620 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#22. "Voigtländer Vitessa T 2"
In response to Reply # 0

Manresa, ES

D300 Nikkor AF Micro 105 f2.8D @ 0.6s f22 ISO 200 window light

Jordi
-Barcelonian-

jordivb Silver Member Nikonian since 01st Mar 2009Mon 29-Apr-13 11:24 AM
#23. "Voigtländer Vitessa T meter display"
In response to Reply # 0

Manresa, ES

D300 Nikkor AF Micro 105 f2.8D @ 1s f22 ISO 200 window light

Jordi
-Barcelonian-

jordivb Silver Member Nikonian since 01st Mar 2009Mon 29-Apr-13 11:26 AM
#24. "Voigtländer Vitessa T PC Flash connector"
In response to Reply # 0

Manresa, ES

D300 Nikkor AF Micro 105 f2.8D @ 1/13s f10 ISO 200 window light

Jordi
-Barcelonian-

jordivb Silver Member Nikonian since 01st Mar 2009Mon 29-Apr-13 11:27 AM
#25. "Voigtländer Vitessa T meter light cell"
In response to Reply # 0

Manresa, ES

D300 Nikkor AF Micro 105 f2.8D @ 1/4s f14 ISO 200 window light

Jordi
-Barcelonian-

domer2760 Silver Member Fellow Ribbon awarded for his frequent assistance to other members by sharing his perspective, skills and expertise, especially with infrared and macro photography. Nikonian since 23rd Oct 2010Mon 29-Apr-13 01:35 PM
#26. "RE: Voigtländer Vitessa T PC Flash connector"
In response to Reply # 24

Ann Arbor, US

Nice series Jordi. I really like this one.

Dan
Ann Arbor, Michigan

My Flickr Photostream.
Follow me on Facebook.

jordivb Silver Member Nikonian since 01st Mar 2009Mon 29-Apr-13 02:15 PM
#27. "RE: Voigtländer Vitessa T PC Flash connector"
In response to Reply # 26

Manresa, ES

Thanks Dan!
It is my favourite as well!

Regards!

Jordi
-Barcelonian-

Valentino Gold Member Awarded for high level skills in landscape and wildlife photography Nikonian since 04th Dec 2004Tue 30-Apr-13 04:13 PM
11613 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#28. "Fujifilm XE1 w/Voigtlander 15mm"
In response to Reply # 0

US

My Fujifilm XE1 w/Voigtlander 15mm lens

D300 w/Nikon 16-85mm VR

Albert J Valentino

Vantage Point Images

Valentino Gold Member Awarded for high level skills in landscape and wildlife photography Nikonian since 04th Dec 2004Tue 30-Apr-13 04:24 PM
#29. "Fujifilm XE1 w/Nikon 50mm f/1.8 E"
In response to Reply # 0

US

Fujifilm XE1 w/Nikon 50mm f/1.8 E lens and adapter

D300 with Nikon 16-85mm VR

Albert J Valentino

Vantage Point Images

Valentino Gold Member Awarded for high level skills in landscape and wildlife photography Nikonian since 04th Dec 2004Tue 30-Apr-13 11:03 PM
#30. "Voigtlander 15mm"
In response to Reply # 0
Tue 30-Apr-13 11:04 PM by Valentino

US

Voigtlander 15mm with adapter

D300
Nikon 16-85 VR

Albert J Valentino

Vantage Point Images

Forums Lobby MASTER YOUR VISION - BY SPECIALTY Micro, Macro & Close-up (Public) topic #50736 Previous topic | Next topic

Take the Nikonians Tour and learn more about being a Nikonian Wiki /FAQ /Help Listen to our MP3 photography radio channels Find anything on Nikon and imaging technology - fast!

Copyright © Nikonians 2000, 2014
All Rights Reserved

Nikonians®, NikoScope® and NikoniansAcademy™ are trademarks owned by Nikonians.org.
Nikon®, Nikonos® and Nikkor® are registered trademarks of Nikon Corporation.