nikonians

Even though we ARE Nikon lovers,we are NOT affiliated with Nikon Corp. in any way.

| |
Go to a  "printer friendly" view of this message which allow an easy print Printer-friendly copy Go to the page which allows you to send this topic link and a message to a friend Email this topic to a friend
Forums Lobby MASTER YOUR VISION - BY SPECIALTY Micro, Macro & Close-up (Public) topic #50178
View in threaded mode

Subject: "Macro lens comparison" Previous topic | Next topic
Al G Registered since 17th Nov 2012Wed 02-Jan-13 12:22 PM
116 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
"Macro lens comparison"

US

I had seen somewhere a comparison between various macro lenses. I have a Tamrom 90mm but the downside is the barrel extension near 1:1 reduces the front of lens to subject while reducing the aperture from 2.8 to 5.6. The Tamron depth of field is about about 2 mm or so.

What I wanted to see is a net distance from front of lens at 1:1 combined with final aperture with more depth of field to see if there is a better option. The Nikon site just shows the focal plane to subject and does not mention final aperture.

I was sure there was a chart that compared the parameters (final aperture, lens from to subject, depth of field) but cannot find it now.

Al

Alert Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic
elec164 Silver Member Nikonian since 15th Jan 2009Wed 02-Jan-13 04:09 PM
2154 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#1. "RE: Macro lens comparison"
In response to Reply # 0
Wed 02-Jan-13 04:14 PM by elec164

US

There's a link in the pinned 'Macro Photography Tips and Tricks' that has a chart of working distances of most macro lenses. Perhaps that is what you were referring to?

Pete

Edited to add:
As to DOF: with macro distances the standard DOF charts and calculators are not totally accurate and DOF is generally a bit greater than they show. Also with macro the magnification factor determines DOF which makes DOF focal length independent at that point. Or to put it another way, I believe at 1:1 the DOF will be the same whether you use a 50mm or 200mm focal length. The difference being the working distance is greater with the 200mm lens.

Pete

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

Snapshott Silver Member Nikonian since 01st Sep 2007Wed 02-Jan-13 08:02 PM
398 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#2. "RE: Macro lens comparison"
In response to Reply # 0

Richmond, US

Below is a link explaining the decrease in aperture on macro lenses. When reviewing the chart in the link Pete provided keep in mind that the working distance is from the front of the lens. Your Tamron 90mm has a deep recessed front element that I never feel the need to use a lens hood with. For the rest of my macro lenses the front element is not recessed and I always use a lens hood (which decreases working distance by the depth of the hood).

http://www.nikonians.org/forums/dcboard.php?az=show_topic&forum=146&topic_id=13313&mesg_id=13313&page=

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

Al G Registered since 17th Nov 2012Wed 02-Jan-13 10:11 PM
116 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#3. "RE: Macro lens comparison"
In response to Reply # 1

US

>There's a
>link
>in the pinned 'Macro Photography Tips and Tricks' that has a
>chart of working distances of most macro lenses. Perhaps that
>is what you were referring to?

Thanks. That was the chart I had in mind.

Al

RWCooper Silver Member Nikonian since 04th Jul 2004Thu 03-Jan-13 02:49 PM
983 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#4. "RE: Macro lens comparison"
In response to Reply # 0

Winnipeg, CA

Hi,

If you want more working room you need a longer focal length. For Example a 200mm macro has more woking distance than a 150mm macro which has more working distance than a 90mm macro. There's nothing you can do about the DOF as that's a function of the magnification assuming a fixed aperture.

Enjoy!

Randy

Tony_Jeffree Registered since 13th Oct 2004Fri 25-Jan-13 10:43 AM
2016 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#5. "RE: Macro lens comparison"
In response to Reply # 4

Manchester, UK

>Hi,
>
>If you want more working room you need a longer focal length.
>For Example a 200mm macro has more woking distance than a
>150mm macro which has more working distance than a 90mm macro.
>There's nothing you can do about the DOF as that's a function
>of the magnification assuming a fixed aperture.

Not an infallible rule, as there are examples where going to a shorter FL gives a greater WD...for example, the Tamron 60mm has more WD at 1:1 than the Tamron 90mm...Problem is that there are many variables; some front elements are deeply recessed, others are not, some lenses use internal focusing (focusing by reducing the effective FL of the lens), others focus by extension...etc. All contribute to the differences in the resultant WD that is available.

Regards,
Tony

My Nikonians Gallery

Forums Lobby MASTER YOUR VISION - BY SPECIALTY Micro, Macro & Close-up (Public) topic #50178 Previous topic | Next topic