Go to a  "printer friendly" view of this message which allow an easy print Printer-friendly copy Go to the page which allows you to send this topic link and a message to a friend Email this topic to a friend
Forums Lobby MASTER YOUR VISION - BY SPECIALTY Micro, Macro & Close-up (Public) topic #50165
View in threaded mode

Subject: "January Contest - B&W Closeups" This topic is locked.
Previous topic | Next topic
This message is locked.
Valentino Gold Member Awarded for high level skills in landscape and wildlife photography Nikonian since 04th Dec 2004Mon 31-Dec-12 11:12 PM
11613 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
"January Contest - B&W Closeups"
Tue 01-Jan-13 01:37 PM by Valentino

US

This months theme is your Black and White closeups. When color is removed from a picture texture, contrast and shapes is what is left. Those qualities can sometimes be overshadowed, pun intended, by vibrant colors. For this contest we are going with color, Yes, sepia or tinted pictures are permitted. The subject itself is open but as always it should be a well composed and well exposed/lit.

There are many ways to create a B&W result. Many people like Nik Silver Effects plugins. I use the less expensive Topaz B&W Effects. Photoshop, Lightroom, Aperture and pretty much every other photo software has B&W tools and all of these are usually better than simply converting a picture to grey scale. A tip on Photo filters is that the color of the filter will brighten/lighten that color (range) in the image which can selectively add to existing contrast. This is particularly useful with flower images.

RULES:
--Post up to 7 images but only one image/post
--Include shooting info so we can learn from each other
--Previously posted images are welcome but not previous contest winners
--When posting please do so by hitting the ‘reply’ link below this top post, not the reply link to another post.
--Include a title in the subject line
--Capture must be shot with a Nikon camera and any lens
--Comments are welcome but NO public critiquing, i.e., how to make it better. This is a contest so PM's are a better way to offer feedback
--WARNING Posts that do not meet the spirit of the challenge will not be selected as finalists and may be periodically removed by the moderators without notice

The top images will be selected by the previous months winner and be included in a poll for members to vote for the winning photo. The winning image will be added to the Macro Contest Winners Gallery

Albert J Valentino
Nikonian Moderator Emeritus

Vantage Point Images
Mastery of Composition is the Key to Great Photography

Alert Printer-friendly copy | Top

Replies to this topic
MongoG Gold Member Nikonian since 02nd Jan 2009Tue 01-Jan-13 05:27 PM
176 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#1. "RE: January Contest - B&W Closeups"
In response to Reply # 0

Waunakee, US

Short Stack
Nikon D300, Nikon 105mm f/2.8, ISO 100, f16, 1.0s, tripod, focusing rails, SB 600 flash off camera set to manual and 1/32, edited with NIK Silver Efex 2.

Its always important to remember that no matter where you're at, there you are.

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

Attachment #1, (jpg file)

MongoG Gold Member Nikonian since 02nd Jan 2009Tue 01-Jan-13 05:34 PM
176 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#2. "RE: January Contest - B&W Closeups"
In response to Reply # 0
Tue 01-Jan-13 05:40 PM by MongoG

Waunakee, US

Queen's Crown
Nikon D300, Nikon 105mm f/2.8 Micro, SB 600 off camera flash set to manual at 1/32, ISO 100, f16, 1.0s, tripod, focusing rails

MongoG Gold Member Nikonian since 02nd Jan 2009Tue 01-Jan-13 05:37 PM
#3. "RE: January Contest - B&W Closeups"
In response to Reply # 0

Waunakee, US

King's Crown
Nikon D300, Nikon 105mm f/2.8 Micro, SB 600 off camera flash set to manual 1/32, NIK Silver Efex 2, ISO 100, f16, 1.0s.

guitar ed Registered since 20th Feb 2008Wed 02-Jan-13 11:06 PM
255 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#4. "RE: January Contest - B&W Closeups"
In response to Reply # 0

Campbell, US

Hi All,

This is my cat Zippy (the Pinhead). He has a white slash across his nose, so......

Nikon D-300 w/ Sigma 105mm macro lens
Sigma lens mount flash
Shutter - 1/250
Aperture - f/2.8
ISO - 200

Cropped in PhotoShop
Color conversion using NIK (1st time user)

Take care,

edg

Aggravate a politician. Register to vote.

When you complain about the government, remember that you ARE the government.

Skype - guitar_edg

My Gallery:
http://images.nikonians.org/galleries/showgallery.php/ppuser/168624/cat/500

gheck58 Silver Member Nikonian since 26th Dec 2003Thu 03-Jan-13 04:23 AM
2737 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#5. "Mission Lily"
In response to Reply # 0
Thu 03-Jan-13 04:27 AM by gheck58

Aliso Viejo, US

Here's a pink water Lily I converted to B&W in LR4 and sharpened in CS6. Shot at the San Juan Mission in San Juan Capistrano, CA on a beautiful overcast day. D300S, 105VR at 1/200 and f/8.

Hecky

smarriott Registered since 07th Jan 2007Thu 03-Jan-13 07:17 AM
191 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#6. "Butterfly"
In response to Reply # 0

Donisthorpe, GB

Nikon D300 with a Sigma 105mm OS.
1/250 at f/8, ISO 1600

Regards,

Steve

My Nikonians Gallery

smarriott Registered since 07th Jan 2007Thu 03-Jan-13 07:19 AM
191 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#7. "Dandelion Seed Head"
In response to Reply # 0

Donisthorpe, GB

Nikon D300 with 105mm VR.
1/3 second at f/8, ISO 400. Shot using a tripod and converted to black and white in Lightroom.

Regards,

Steve

My Nikonians Gallery

smarriott Registered since 07th Jan 2007Thu 03-Jan-13 07:21 AM
#8. "Dead Wasp"
In response to Reply # 0

Donisthorpe, GB

D300 with a Tamron 90mm Macro.
1.6 seconds at f/11, ISO 200. Shot using a tripod and converted to black and white in Lightroom.

Regards,

Steve

My Nikonians Gallery

gheck58 Silver Member Nikonian since 26th Dec 2003Thu 03-Jan-13 04:17 PM
2737 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#9. "Ellie's Eyes"
In response to Reply # 0

Aliso Viejo, US

My daughter's eyes on a beautiful day in Laguna Beach, CA. D300S, 105VR, 1/320, f/3.0. Scott Kelby B&W conversion technique in LR4, the rest in CS6.

Hecky

gheck58 Silver Member Nikonian since 26th Dec 2003Sat 05-Jan-13 11:27 PM
#10. "Salt N Peppa"
In response to Reply # 0
Sat 05-Jan-13 11:27 PM by gheck58

Aliso Viejo, US

I wanted to think of not only a black and white conversion but a black and white subject as well. I also wanted to use all Nikon equipment instead of my Elinchrom lighting. D700, 105VR at F/16, 1/160. SB-910 overhead with a large Rogue Flash bender and Softbox shooting through another translucent reflector. Back right is an SB-900 with a Honl snoot. Controlled by an SU-800. Post in LR$ and SC-6.

Hecky

guitar ed Registered since 20th Feb 2008Mon 07-Jan-13 02:23 AM
255 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#11. "RE: January Contest - B&W Closeups"
In response to Reply # 0

Campbell, US

Hi,

This is a picture of my daughters hand. We were working at the San Jose Muni Rose Garden on a day they were releasing lady bugs. She is 11yo and does her own nails.

Nikon D-300 w/ Nikkor 18-200 lens

Take care,

edg

Aggravate a politician. Register to vote.

When you complain about the government, remember that you ARE the government.

Skype - guitar_edg

My Gallery:
http://images.nikonians.org/galleries/showgallery.php/ppuser/168624/cat/500

MongoG Gold Member Nikonian since 02nd Jan 2009Mon 07-Jan-13 02:27 AM
#12. "RE: January Contest - B&W Closeups"
In response to Reply # 0
Mon 07-Jan-13 02:30 AM by MongoG

Waunakee, US

Bucky Balls - D300, 105VR, 2x tele-convertor, f/16, 0.8s, ISO 100, tripod, focusing rails, SB 600 speed light, hand held off camera, dark room

MongoG Gold Member Nikonian since 02nd Jan 2009Mon 07-Jan-13 02:33 AM
#13. "RE: January Contest - B&W Closeups"
In response to Reply # 0
Tue 08-Jan-13 06:13 PM by MongoG

Waunakee, US

Aliens Among Us - Glass ethcing on paper weight- D300, 105VR, 2x tele-convertor, f/16, 0.8s, ISO 100, tripod, focusing rails, SB 600 speed light hand held off camera, dark room.

MongoG Gold Member Nikonian since 02nd Jan 2009Mon 07-Jan-13 09:00 PM
#14. "RE: Salt N Peppa"
In response to Reply # 10

Waunakee, US

Hecky,
Nice composition - especially like the mixture of salt and pepper in the foreground.
Gary

SheriB Silver Member Awarded for sharing her exceptional images and details of rural farm life. Nikonian since 11th Sep 2010Mon 07-Jan-13 09:32 PM
1602 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#15. "Old shoes"
In response to Reply # 0

US

Tried to bring out the scuffed,beat up surface of the shoes.
D700, Tamrom 90mm, f/14,1/8s,ISO 200, tripod

Sheri Becker

glxman Silver Member Nikonian since 04th Oct 2008Tue 08-Jan-13 12:11 AM
2925 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#16. "RE: January Contest - B&W Closeups"
In response to Reply # 0

South Australia, AU

"Always Watch Your Back!"
D700
AF-S 105VR 2.8
f9
1/400sec
ISO 200
Regards,
Gary

mebrunsdon Silver Member Nikonian since 11th Aug 2010Tue 08-Jan-13 09:52 PM
47 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#17. "American White Moth"
In response to Reply # 0

Hampton, CA

D700 AF Micro-Nikkor 200mm f/4D IF-ED ISO400 f/11 1/160

mebrunsdon Silver Member Nikonian since 11th Aug 2010Tue 08-Jan-13 09:59 PM
47 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#18. "Mallow "
In response to Reply # 0

Hampton, CA

D800 AF Micro-Nikkor 200mm f/4D IF-ED ISO250 f/8 1/500

mebrunsdon Silver Member Nikonian since 11th Aug 2010Tue 08-Jan-13 10:05 PM
#19. "Dandelion Seed"
In response to Reply # 0

Hampton, CA

D700 AF Micro-Nikkor 200mm f/4D IF-ED ISO400 f/4.2 1/500

SheriB Silver Member Awarded for sharing her exceptional images and details of rural farm life. Nikonian since 11th Sep 2010Wed 09-Jan-13 11:05 AM
1602 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#20. "RE: January Contest - B&W Closeups"
In response to Reply # 0

US

I have to say I am happy to see the entries here, considering the low amount of traffic,or at least comments, the B&W forum seems to get compared to ones like A Picture I Took and Pets and Family. Some very nice images being posted here.

Sheri Becker

SheriB Silver Member Awarded for sharing her exceptional images and details of rural farm life. Nikonian since 11th Sep 2010Wed 09-Jan-13 11:07 AM
#21. "RE: Dandelion Seed"
In response to Reply # 19

US

Very nice!

Sheri Becker

SheriB Silver Member Awarded for sharing her exceptional images and details of rural farm life. Nikonian since 11th Sep 2010Wed 09-Jan-13 11:19 AM
#22. "St. John's Wort"
In response to Reply # 0
Thu 10-Jan-13 10:45 AM by SheriB

US

One of the earlier images I took with my Tamron 90mm. Still one of my personal favorites. Click to view larger image in my gallery.
D300s, f/9 , iso 200, 1/160 sec

Sheri Becker

gheck58 Silver Member Nikonian since 26th Dec 2003Thu 10-Jan-13 03:28 AM
#23. "Pistachios In Mono"
In response to Reply # 0
Thu 10-Jan-13 03:31 AM by gheck58

Aliso Viejo, US

I got inspired to try something different with some kind of alien SciFi theme. D700, 105VR at f/11, 1/80. Gitzo tripod and Markins 10 head. Backdrop is a red couch pillow. I put creases in the pillow to catch the light. SB-910 with large Rogue Flash Bender back left for key light. White piece of paper for fill. Post in LR4 and CS6.

Hecky

domer2760 Silver Member Fellow Ribbon awarded for his frequent assistance to other members by sharing his perspective, skills and expertise, especially with infrared and macro photography. Nikonian since 23rd Oct 2010Thu 10-Jan-13 05:29 AM
732 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#24. "Test Tubes "
In response to Reply # 0

Ann Arbor, US

Plastic test tubes and rack.

Nikon Coolpix 8800, f/3.0, 1/160 sec, ISO 50, handheld.

Dan
Ann Arbor, Michigan

My Flickr Photostream.
Visit my Infrared Photo Blog.
Follow me on Facebook.

SheriB Silver Member Awarded for sharing her exceptional images and details of rural farm life. Nikonian since 11th Sep 2010Thu 10-Jan-13 10:43 AM
#25. "RE: Pistachios In Mono"
In response to Reply # 23

US

Why do I keep hearing "FEED ME SEYMORE!!"

Sheri Becker

jordivb Silver Member Nikonian since 01st Mar 2009Thu 10-Jan-13 06:04 PM
620 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#26. "RE: January Contest - B&W Closeups"
In response to Reply # 20

Manresa, ES

Welcome to Macro & CloseUp, Sheri!
Nice images indeed....

Jordi
-Barcelonian-

jordivb Silver Member Nikonian since 01st Mar 2009Thu 10-Jan-13 06:06 PM
620 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#27. "RE: Test Tubes "
In response to Reply # 24

Manresa, ES

Beautiful shot!

Jordi
-Barcelonian-

domer2760 Silver Member Fellow Ribbon awarded for his frequent assistance to other members by sharing his perspective, skills and expertise, especially with infrared and macro photography. Nikonian since 23rd Oct 2010Thu 10-Jan-13 07:54 PM
732 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#28. "RE: Test Tubes "
In response to Reply # 27

Ann Arbor, US

Thanks Jordi.
Espero que tengan un feliz ańo nuevo y saludable!

(I hope I translated that correctly)

Dan
Ann Arbor, Michigan

My Flickr Photostream.
Follow me on Facebook.

MongoG Gold Member Nikonian since 02nd Jan 2009Thu 10-Jan-13 08:18 PM
#29. "RE: American White Moth"
In response to Reply # 17

Waunakee, US

Great shot! I love the contrast between the crisp antennae and the softly blurred background. Every hair is crisp and sharp - very nicely done.

domer2760 Silver Member Fellow Ribbon awarded for his frequent assistance to other members by sharing his perspective, skills and expertise, especially with infrared and macro photography. Nikonian since 23rd Oct 2010Thu 10-Jan-13 09:47 PM
#30. "Headlight Detail"
In response to Reply # 0

Ann Arbor, US

Another shot taken at the car dealership while waiting for my car to be serviced. This is a close-up of the front of a headlight assembly. The headlamp is up and to camera right.

D300s, Nikkor 18-200 @200mm, f/5.6, 1/30 sec, ISO 200, Monopod. "Natural" showroom lighting.

Dan
Ann Arbor, Michigan

My Flickr Photostream.
Follow me on Facebook.

domer2760 Silver Member Fellow Ribbon awarded for his frequent assistance to other members by sharing his perspective, skills and expertise, especially with infrared and macro photography. Nikonian since 23rd Oct 2010Fri 11-Jan-13 05:23 AM
#31. "Anemone"
In response to Reply # 0

Ann Arbor, US

Backlighting and lighting from camera right.

D700, Nikkor 70-180 Micro @ 180mm, f/5.6, 1/160 sec, ISO 200, tripod.

Dan
Ann Arbor, Michigan

My Flickr Photostream.
Follow me on Facebook.

mebrunsdon Silver Member Nikonian since 11th Aug 2010Sat 12-Jan-13 05:04 PM
#32. "RE: Dandelion Seed"
In response to Reply # 21

Hampton, CA

Thank you,Sheri. I appreciate the comment.
Mary Ellen

mebrunsdon Silver Member Nikonian since 11th Aug 2010Sat 12-Jan-13 05:06 PM
#33. "RE: American White Moth"
In response to Reply # 29

Hampton, CA

Thank you for your comments - it always helps to know what other photographers like about a photo- this is one of my favourites .
Mary Ellen

domer2760 Silver Member Fellow Ribbon awarded for his frequent assistance to other members by sharing his perspective, skills and expertise, especially with infrared and macro photography. Nikonian since 23rd Oct 2010Sat 12-Jan-13 07:53 PM
#34. "Jewel Case Spindle"
In response to Reply # 0

Ann Arbor, US

This is a closeup of the plastic jewel case spindle that holds a CD.

D7000, Nikkor 18-200 @ 170mm, f/5.6, 1/40 sec, -1.67 EV, ISO 1100, flash.

Dan
Ann Arbor, Michigan

My Flickr Photostream.
Follow me on Facebook.

esandy Silver Member Nikonian since 19th Nov 2011Sat 12-Jan-13 09:06 PM
159 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#35. "Hunter's Muzzle"
In response to Reply # 0
Sat 12-Jan-13 09:10 PM by esandy

Wichita Falls, US

Nikon D7000, Nikon 105mm f/2.8, ISO 200, f/8, 1/60s, Handheld, SB 700 flash off camera set to remote and diffused, edited with ACR in PS 5.1

Ed

esandy Silver Member Nikonian since 19th Nov 2011Sat 12-Jan-13 09:08 PM
159 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#36. "Lily Pistils"
In response to Reply # 0
Sat 12-Jan-13 09:12 PM by esandy

Wichita Falls, US

Nikon D7000, Nikon 105mm f/2.8, ISO 200, f/22, 1/60s, Tripod, SB 700 flash off camera set to remote and diffused, edited with ACR in PS 5.1

Ed

esandy Silver Member Nikonian since 19th Nov 2011Sat 12-Jan-13 09:09 PM
#37. "Lily's"
In response to Reply # 0

Wichita Falls, US

Nikon D7000, Nikon 105mm f/2.8, ISO 200, f/22, 1/60s, Tripod, SB 700 flash off camera set to remote and diffused, edited with ACR in PS 5.1

Ed

gheck58 Silver Member Nikonian since 26th Dec 2003Mon 14-Jan-13 01:03 AM
#38. "Shell Pot Pourri"
In response to Reply # 0
Mon 14-Jan-13 01:04 AM by gheck58

Aliso Viejo, US

I shot this through the opening of a large Brandi Snifter full of shells and coral. D700, 105VR at f/22, single SB-910 through the glass with a large Rogue Flash Bender, copy paper for fill. B&W conversion in LR4, converted to a Vivid Light layer and sharpened in CS6.

Hecky

klrbee25 Silver Member Nikonian since 03rd Jun 2006Wed 16-Jan-13 12:59 AM
1384 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#39. "Berries"
In response to Reply # 0

Naples, US

Winter strawberries don't taste so great, but they make for decent macro subjects.

Nikon D800
Sigma 150mm macro
1/125, f/22, ISO 100

-Alex Rosen
www.flickr.com/photos/klrbee25/

domer2760 Silver Member Fellow Ribbon awarded for his frequent assistance to other members by sharing his perspective, skills and expertise, especially with infrared and macro photography. Nikonian since 23rd Oct 2010Fri 18-Jan-13 06:20 AM
#40. "Piano Soundboard"
In response to Reply # 0
Fri 18-Jan-13 06:36 AM by domer2760

Ann Arbor, US

Shallow focus.

D700, Nikkor 135mm f/2DC, f/2.0, 1/125 sec, ISO 360.

Dan
Ann Arbor, Michigan

My Flickr Photostream.
Follow me on Facebook.

domer2760 Silver Member Fellow Ribbon awarded for his frequent assistance to other members by sharing his perspective, skills and expertise, especially with infrared and macro photography. Nikonian since 23rd Oct 2010Fri 18-Jan-13 06:29 AM
#41. "Metal Fence"
In response to Reply # 0
Fri 18-Jan-13 06:46 AM by domer2760

Ann Arbor, US

This little (12 inch high) fence was outside a bank in Marquette Michigan.
The fence extended between two pillars and was apparently designed to keep people from sitting on the ledge.

D700, Nikkor 24-120 f/4 @ 92 mm, f/22, 1/15 sec, ISO 250.

Dan
Ann Arbor, Michigan

My Flickr Photostream.
Follow me on Facebook.

domer2760 Silver Member Fellow Ribbon awarded for his frequent assistance to other members by sharing his perspective, skills and expertise, especially with infrared and macro photography. Nikonian since 23rd Oct 2010Fri 18-Jan-13 06:35 AM
#42. "Theater Marquee"
In response to Reply # 0
Fri 18-Jan-13 11:30 PM by domer2760

Ann Arbor, US

This is a closeup shot of an old theater marquee in Marquette Michigan.

D700, Nikkor 24-120mm @ 120mm, f/13, 1/20 sec, ISO 200.

Dan
Ann Arbor, Michigan

My Flickr Photostream.
Follow me on Facebook.

jordivb Silver Member Nikonian since 01st Mar 2009Sat 19-Jan-13 07:23 AM
#43. "RE: Test Tubes "
In response to Reply # 28

Manresa, ES

Thanks Dan! You translated it perfectly!
Although a bit late, have my best wishes for a prosperous 2013 as well.
And keep on with your nice images!

Jordi
-Barcelonian-

franco1968 Registered since 25th Dec 2012Sun 20-Jan-13 08:04 PM
10 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#44. "RE: January Contest - B&W Closeups"
In response to Reply # 0

N.D.I.P., CA

Dropped a bulb in the Focault pendulum and rolled it around in the sand. Was shot with light coming thru a window and a mirror to illuminate the back of the bulb.

D700, Nikon 105mm VR, F/20, 2s (tripod), manual, ISO200

CameraControlPro2 Live view
CaptureNX2 photo effects B+W

jordivb Silver Member Nikonian since 01st Mar 2009Mon 21-Jan-13 01:54 PM
#45. "Bevel Gears"
In response to Reply # 0

Manresa, ES

Close up of some gears we required for a prototype of one of our recent projects. Thought it made a good B&W subject.
Tripod mounted D-300 18-200 f3.5/5.6 @44mm 1/15s f29 ISO800 off camera flash SB800.

Jordi
-Barcelonian-

AUMike Silver Member Nikonian since 04th Feb 2008Mon 21-Jan-13 08:19 PM
1116 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#46. "Old Brownie Movie Camera"
In response to Reply # 0

Birmingham, US

D300, Nikkor 105 VR, f/18, 1/125s, ISO 1600

AUMike Silver Member Nikonian since 04th Feb 2008Mon 21-Jan-13 11:26 PM
1116 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#47. "Decorative Plate"
In response to Reply # 0

Birmingham, US

D300, Nikkor 50mm 1.4, 1/60s, f1.4, ISO 1600

domer2760 Silver Member Fellow Ribbon awarded for his frequent assistance to other members by sharing his perspective, skills and expertise, especially with infrared and macro photography. Nikonian since 23rd Oct 2010Tue 22-Jan-13 05:29 PM
#48. "RE: Bevel Gears"
In response to Reply # 45

Ann Arbor, US

Jordi.
This is a really nice shot. You did a great job controlling the reflections.

Dan
Ann Arbor, Michigan

My Flickr Photostream.
Follow me on Facebook.

jordivb Silver Member Nikonian since 01st Mar 2009Tue 22-Jan-13 07:55 PM
#49. "RE: Bevel Gears"
In response to Reply # 48

Manresa, ES

Thanks Dan! Glad you like it.
Refections are always an issue with helical, worm or bevel gears: you always get a highlight somewhere in the tooth due to its curved shape. This becomes critical when you need to capture the meshing contact path.
But beyond work, I like the shapes and I think gears make a good b&w subject. I may post a couple more if I find some spare time.
Kind regards,

Jordi
-Barcelonian-

gheck58 Silver Member Nikonian since 26th Dec 2003Sat 26-Jan-13 05:38 PM
#50. "Bananas in Profile"
In response to Reply # 0

Aliso Viejo, US

The overcast light was coming through our sliding glass door perfectly this morning and these green bananas were just "ripe" for a headshot. D700 at ISO 800, 24-70 2.8 at f/13, 1/20 sec on Gitzo 2541L and Markins 10 head. No other diffusion or fill. Conversion in LR4 and the rest in CS6.

Hecky

lastdaylight Gold Member Laureate Ribbon awarded for winning in the Best of Nikonians 2013 images Photo Contest Nikonian since 09th Dec 2007Sat 26-Jan-13 07:56 PM
798 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#51. "RE: Jewel Case Spindle"
In response to Reply # 34

Dallas, US

Love this one, Dan. You're always thinking "out-of-the-box"!

Mark Smith
Just like I previsualized it, more or less...

My Nikonians Gallery

My Website, www.lastdaylight.com

lastdaylight Gold Member Laureate Ribbon awarded for winning in the Best of Nikonians 2013 images Photo Contest Nikonian since 09th Dec 2007Sat 26-Jan-13 08:00 PM
798 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#52. "Gecko"
In response to Reply # 0

Dallas, US

A very small gecko lizard that found its way into the house.

D300, 60mm "D" micro, f/16, ISO 200, two diffused flashes.

Mark Smith
Just like I previsualized it, more or less...

My Nikonians Gallery

My Website, www.lastdaylight.com

skibreeze7 Gold Member Fellow Ribbon awarded for the continuous sharing of his inspirational photographic abilities and for helping and encouraging members as they advance from beginner into advanced photography. Laureate Ribbon awarded for winning in the Best of Nikonians 2013 images Photo Contest Nikonian since 18th Nov 2006Sun 27-Jan-13 03:29 AM
656 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#53. "Tulip"
In response to Reply # 0

Astoria, US

Nikon D90, F/8, 1/80 sec, ISO 200, 18-200VR @ 200mm

Darryl
Northern Oregon Coast

skibreeze7 Gold Member Fellow Ribbon awarded for the continuous sharing of his inspirational photographic abilities and for helping and encouraging members as they advance from beginner into advanced photography. Laureate Ribbon awarded for winning in the Best of Nikonians 2013 images Photo Contest Nikonian since 18th Nov 2006Sun 27-Jan-13 03:31 AM
656 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#54. "Citizen Watch"
In response to Reply # 0

Astoria, US

Nikon D80, F/16, 1/10 sec, ISO 100, Tamron 90mm macro

Darryl
Northern Oregon Coast

skibreeze7 Gold Member Fellow Ribbon awarded for the continuous sharing of his inspirational photographic abilities and for helping and encouraging members as they advance from beginner into advanced photography. Laureate Ribbon awarded for winning in the Best of Nikonians 2013 images Photo Contest Nikonian since 18th Nov 2006Sun 27-Jan-13 03:34 AM
#55. "Lily"
In response to Reply # 0

Astoria, US

Nikon D80, F/11, 1/400 sec, ISO 400, Tamron 90mm macro

Darryl
Northern Oregon Coast

domer2760 Silver Member Fellow Ribbon awarded for his frequent assistance to other members by sharing his perspective, skills and expertise, especially with infrared and macro photography. Nikonian since 23rd Oct 2010Sun 27-Jan-13 11:38 PM
#56. "RE: Jewel Case Spindle"
In response to Reply # 51

Ann Arbor, US

Thanks again Mark. This one was literally inside the box.

Dan
Ann Arbor, Michigan

My Flickr Photostream.
Follow me on Facebook.

mahasuresh Registered since 03rd Jan 2008Mon 28-Jan-13 02:04 PM
447 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#57. "CURVES"
In response to Reply # 0

Plano, US

Ceramic cups...

SheriB Silver Member Awarded for sharing her exceptional images and details of rural farm life. Nikonian since 11th Sep 2010Mon 28-Jan-13 09:35 PM
#58. "Luck"
In response to Reply # 0
Mon 28-Jan-13 09:40 PM by SheriB

US

digging through my collection of junk..I mean, collectibles..

D300s, Tamron 90mm f/2.8 macro,tripod f/25,3s,ISO200 converted,processed with ViewNX2
edited to attach the correct image file :-P

Sheri Becker

SheriB Silver Member Awarded for sharing her exceptional images and details of rural farm life. Nikonian since 11th Sep 2010Mon 28-Jan-13 06:21 PM
#59. "Multi-Grain"
In response to Reply # 0

US

D300s,Tamron 90mm 2.8, ISO200,2s, f/25

Sheri Becker

jordivb Silver Member Nikonian since 01st Mar 2009Tue 29-Jan-13 06:54 AM
#60. "Gear Hob 1"
In response to Reply # 0

Manresa, ES

Tool used to hob gear wheels & pinion
D300 50mm f1.8 with 25 mm kenko tube at f10 1/160s ISO200 flash SB800 stack of 25 pictures

Jordi
-Barcelonian-

jordivb Silver Member Nikonian since 01st Mar 2009Tue 29-Jan-13 06:56 AM
#61. "Gear Hob 2"
In response to Reply # 0

Manresa, ES

Another gear hob used to cut tooth on gear wheels & pinion
D300 50mm f1.8 with 25 mm kenko tube at f10 1/160s ISO200 flash SB800 stack of 25 pictures

Jordi
-Barcelonian-

jordivb Silver Member Nikonian since 01st Mar 2009Tue 29-Jan-13 06:57 AM
#62. "worm gear"
In response to Reply # 0

Manresa, ES

Worm gear used in high ratio 90 degrees gearboxes
D300 50mm f1.8 with 25 mm kenko tube at f7,1 1/5s ISO200 flash SB800 stack of 15 pictures

Jordi
-Barcelonian-

domer2760 Silver Member Fellow Ribbon awarded for his frequent assistance to other members by sharing his perspective, skills and expertise, especially with infrared and macro photography. Nikonian since 23rd Oct 2010Tue 29-Jan-13 08:44 PM
#63. "RE: Gear Hob 2"
In response to Reply # 61

Ann Arbor, US

Jordi,
I like this one! A difficult subject but very well done.

Dan
Ann Arbor, Michigan

My Flickr Photostream.
Follow me on Facebook.

MikeBa Silver Member Nikonian since 17th Jul 2010Tue 29-Jan-13 09:10 PM
903 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#64. "Electronic City"
In response to Reply # 0

Stuttgart, DE

This is a board with some SMD parts (ICs, electrolytic capacitors and others)

Nikon D300, 105/2.8 Micro, ISO 200-1LW, f45, 1.6s with Tripod

Mike - Nikonian from Stuttgart, Germany

Visit my Nikonians-Gallery.

And my Homepage for more.

MikeBa Silver Member Nikonian since 17th Jul 2010Tue 29-Jan-13 09:14 PM
903 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#65. "The Bee"
In response to Reply # 0
Tue 29-Jan-13 09:14 PM by MikeBa

Stuttgart, DE

Nikon D90, 28-105/3.5-4.5 @105mm, ISO200, f11, 1/160s, freehand (cropped)

MikeBa Silver Member Nikonian since 17th Jul 2010Tue 29-Jan-13 09:17 PM
#66. "Cross spider"
In response to Reply # 0

Stuttgart, DE

A cross spider in my neighbour's garden waiting for prey

Nikon D300, 105/2.8 Micro, ISO500, f22, 1/30s, Tripod

mahasuresh Registered since 03rd Jan 2008Wed 30-Jan-13 01:44 AM
447 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#67. "SIVERWARE"
In response to Reply # 0

Plano, US

Cutlery up close....

jordivb Silver Member Nikonian since 01st Mar 2009Wed 30-Jan-13 05:48 AM
#68. "RE: Gear Hob 2"
In response to Reply # 63

Manresa, ES

Thanks for your praise!
I think those patterned subjects suit a B&W rendering quite well.
Regards,

Jordi
-Barcelonian-

jdroach Platinum Member Fellow Ribbon awarded. John exhibits true Nikonian spirit by frequently posting images and requesting comments and critique, which he graciously accepts. He is an inspiration to all of us through constant improvement in his own work, keen observations and excellent commentary on images posted by others. Nikonian since 21st Mar 2009Wed 30-Jan-13 08:38 PM
4411 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#69. "RE: January Contest - B&W Closeups: Mono Dragonfly"
In response to Reply # 0

Milwaukee, US

Taken with D7000, 50-500mm Sigma at 500mm, f/11, 1/100s, ISO 200, Manual exposure and white balance, converted enhanced in Lightroom 4.3 with use of B&W preset and further adjustments.

jdroach, a Milwaukee area and sometimes Chicago area Nikonian.

Visit my Nikonians Blog

Visit my Nikonian gallery

My Flickr Photostream

jdroachphotography.com

jdroach Platinum Member Fellow Ribbon awarded. John exhibits true Nikonian spirit by frequently posting images and requesting comments and critique, which he graciously accepts. He is an inspiration to all of us through constant improvement in his own work, keen observations and excellent commentary on images posted by others. Nikonian since 21st Mar 2009Wed 30-Jan-13 08:42 PM
4411 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#70. "RE: January Contest - B&W Closeups: Portrait of a Parrot"
In response to Reply # 0

Milwaukee, US

Taken with Nikon Coolpix P7000, 59.6mm, f6.3, 1/17s, Aperture Priority, Manual WB, ISO 400, converted enhanced in Lightroom with further adjustments in CS5 and Nik Silver Efex to achieve B&W conversion.

Visit my Nikonians Blog

My Flickr Photostream

jdroachphotography.com

jdroach Platinum Member Fellow Ribbon awarded. John exhibits true Nikonian spirit by frequently posting images and requesting comments and critique, which he graciously accepts. He is an inspiration to all of us through constant improvement in his own work, keen observations and excellent commentary on images posted by others. Nikonian since 21st Mar 2009Wed 30-Jan-13 08:45 PM
#71. "RE: January Contest - B&W Closeups: A Floral Abstract"
In response to Reply # 0

Milwaukee, US

Taken with a D700, Tamron 90mm f2.8 lens, f/40, ISO 200, 1/3s, -1.7EV, Manual Exposure and White Balance using fixed light, enhanced and converted using Lightroom 4.3, CS5, and Nik Silver Efex.

Visit my Nikonians Blog

My Flickr Photostream

jdroachphotography.com

jdroach Platinum Member Fellow Ribbon awarded. John exhibits true Nikonian spirit by frequently posting images and requesting comments and critique, which he graciously accepts. He is an inspiration to all of us through constant improvement in his own work, keen observations and excellent commentary on images posted by others. Nikonian since 21st Mar 2009Wed 30-Jan-13 08:49 PM
#72. "RE: January Contest - B&W Closeups: Two Roses"
In response to Reply # 0

Milwaukee, US

Taken with D700, with Tamron 90mm, Aperture Priority, Flash, -1EV, ISO 200, f/45, 1/60s, Manual White Balance, enhanced with Lightroom and converted to B&W using CS5 and Nik Silver Efex.

Visit my Nikonians Blog

My Flickr Photostream

jdroachphotography.com

jdroach Platinum Member Fellow Ribbon awarded. John exhibits true Nikonian spirit by frequently posting images and requesting comments and critique, which he graciously accepts. He is an inspiration to all of us through constant improvement in his own work, keen observations and excellent commentary on images posted by others. Nikonian since 21st Mar 2009Wed 30-Jan-13 08:54 PM
#73. "RE: January Contest - B&W Closeups: Three Roses in Mono"
In response to Reply # 0

Milwaukee, US

Taken with D600, 90mm Tamron, Aperture Priority, 1/60s, f/36, Flash, Manual White Balance, enhanced in Lightroom with one of its many B&W presets with following up adjustments.

Visit my Nikonians Blog

My Flickr Photostream

jdroachphotography.com

jdroach Platinum Member Fellow Ribbon awarded. John exhibits true Nikonian spirit by frequently posting images and requesting comments and critique, which he graciously accepts. He is an inspiration to all of us through constant improvement in his own work, keen observations and excellent commentary on images posted by others. Nikonian since 21st Mar 2009Wed 30-Jan-13 08:57 PM
#74. "RE: January Contest - B&W Closeups: Only a Rose"
In response to Reply # 0

Milwaukee, US

Taken with D700, 28-300mm at 105mm, f/9, 1/60s, ISO 800, Manual Exposure, Natural Light, manual exposure (cloudy), converted in Lightroom to B&W.

Visit my Nikonians Blog

My Flickr Photostream

jdroachphotography.com

jdroach Platinum Member Fellow Ribbon awarded. John exhibits true Nikonian spirit by frequently posting images and requesting comments and critique, which he graciously accepts. He is an inspiration to all of us through constant improvement in his own work, keen observations and excellent commentary on images posted by others. Nikonian since 21st Mar 2009Wed 30-Jan-13 09:00 PM
#75. "RE: January Contest - B&W Closeups: A Rose for You!"
In response to Reply # 0

Milwaukee, US

Taken with D600, 90mm Tamron, Aperture Priority, 1/60s, f/36, ISO 400, Remote Flash, Manual WB, enhanced with B&W preset applied in Lightroom 4.3.

Visit my Nikonians Blog

My Flickr Photostream

jdroachphotography.com

KenLPhotos Gold Member Nikonian since 26th Jul 2009Fri 01-Feb-13 01:40 AM
1398 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#76. "RE: January Contest - B&W Closeups - Clarinet Keys"
In response to Reply # 0
Fri 01-Feb-13 01:44 AM by KenLPhotos

Stewartstown, US

Camera: NIKON D700
Lens: Nikon 105.0 mm f/2.8
ISO: 3200
Exposure: 1/60s at f/36.0

KenL

There are many 'images of beautiful objects' but few 'beautiful images of objects'.

KenLPhotos Gold Member Nikonian since 26th Jul 2009Fri 01-Feb-13 01:41 AM
1398 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#77. "RE: January Contest - B&W Closeups - Smile"
In response to Reply # 0
Fri 01-Feb-13 01:44 AM by KenLPhotos

Stewartstown, US

Exposure: 0.4s at f/13.0

KenL

There are many 'images of beautiful objects' but few 'beautiful images of objects'.

KenLPhotos Gold Member Nikonian since 26th Jul 2009Fri 01-Feb-13 01:42 AM
#78. "RE: January Contest - B&W Closeups - Printer Abstract"
In response to Reply # 0

Stewartstown, US

Exposure: 1/25s at f/7.1

KenL

Forums Lobby MASTER YOUR VISION - BY SPECIALTY Micro, Macro & Close-up (Public) topic #50165 Previous topic | Next topic

Take the Nikonians Tour and learn more about being a Nikonian Wiki /FAQ /Help Listen to our MP3 photography radio channels Find anything on Nikon and imaging technology - fast!

Copyright © Nikonians 2000, 2014
All Rights Reserved

Nikonians®, NikoScope® and NikoniansAcademy™ are trademarks owned by Nikonians.org.
Nikon®, Nikonos® and Nikkor® are registered trademarks of Nikon Corporation.