Go to a  "printer friendly" view of this message which allow an easy print Printer-friendly copy Go to the page which allows you to send this topic link and a message to a friend Email this topic to a friend
Forums Lobby MASTER YOUR VISION - BY SPECIALTY Micro, Macro & Close-up (Public) topic #49900
View in threaded mode

Subject: "Macro Raindrops " Previous topic | Next topic
Dillicus Registered since 14th Nov 2012Wed 21-Nov-12 09:20 PM
37 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
"Macro Raindrops "

Exmouth, UK

Begonia in the rain

Alert Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic
OnTERRYo Silver Member Nikonian since 25th Nov 2011Thu 22-Nov-12 12:26 AM
529 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#1. "RE: Macro Raindrops "
In response to Reply # 0

Hamilton, CA

Hi Beryl.

What?? Rain in Great Britain?? Who'da thunk it?
Great shot by the way.

Terry.

OnTERRYo

"The Nikon did the work; I just happened to be behind it at the time." TP

Dillicus Registered since 14th Nov 2012Thu 22-Nov-12 12:31 AM
37 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#2. "RE: Macro Raindrops "
In response to Reply # 1
Thu 22-Nov-12 12:32 AM by Dillicus

Exmouth, UK

Thank you so much for your comment

Yes who would think had such a thing as rain. Just water poring from the sky really

AUMike Silver Member Nikonian since 04th Feb 2008Fri 23-Nov-12 03:24 PM
1178 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#3. "RE: Macro Raindrops "
In response to Reply # 2

Birmingham, US

Beryl, I am curious why you shot at f/5.6? That is an unusual aperture for a macro shot.

Mike

Dillicus Registered since 14th Nov 2012Fri 23-Nov-12 04:49 PM
#4. "RE: Macro Raindrops "
In response to Reply # 3
Fri 23-Nov-12 04:59 PM by Dillicus

Exmouth, UK

This is because I don't have a Nikon Macro lens and so taking it from further away and cropping in gives me a very clos up. as you can see the drplets of water clearly

The lens I have does a far better close up than a 'Sigma APO macro' lens. Even that isn't a true macro.

The lens I use is: Nikon 55-300mm VR F4.5-5.6G ED AF-S DX NIKKOR SWM

I normaly ceep it on Action / Sport setting so really every thing is auto

AartPapaya Silver Member Nikonian since 21st Oct 2011Fri 23-Nov-12 06:33 PM
2801 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#5. "RE: Macro Raindrops "
In response to Reply # 0

Hectorspruit, ZA

Hi Beryl,
I like your begonia but, I am sorry to say, the picture is way to soft. The DOF is very good and I do not know how you know it was at f5.6 but I take you word for it, in this case the photo was cropped very close, although I do not see much deterioration there. One of the things that may have deteriorated the sharpness is the blurred object on the right edge of your picture. This would have effected the sharpness of the whole image.
Did you use a tripod?
If you, once in a while, want to use your 400mm lens for close-ups use a extension tube. It is cheap and may give you a lot of pleasure.
However, to me a tripod is a must. Attached is an example with a 150-500mm lens at 500mm with a extension tube.

Aart

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

Attachment #1, (jpg file)

Dillicus Registered since 14th Nov 2012Fri 23-Nov-12 07:05 PM
#6. "RE: Macro Raindrops "
In response to Reply # 5

Exmouth, UK

That's ok. It did well in what it was taken for. Thank you for your commen. It's soft due to the wrong lens probably

No I rarely use a tripod I mainly do action shooting and I'd hit people in the face if I swung my tripod round following a bird. They don’t wait for you.

Your Photo s gorgeous. Well done

Forums Lobby MASTER YOUR VISION - BY SPECIALTY Micro, Macro & Close-up (Public) topic #49900 Previous topic | Next topic

Take the Nikonians Tour and learn more about being a Nikonian Wiki /FAQ /Help Listen to our MP3 photography radio channels Find anything on Nikon and imaging technology - fast!

Copyright © Nikonians 2000, 2014
All Rights Reserved

Nikonians®, NikoScope® and NikoniansAcademy™ are trademarks owned by Nikonians.org.
Nikon®, Nikonos® and Nikkor® are registered trademarks of Nikon Corporation.