Go to a  "printer friendly" view of this message which allow an easy print Printer-friendly copy Go to the page which allows you to send this topic link and a message to a friend Email this topic to a friend
Forums Lobby MASTER YOUR VISION - BY SPECIALTY Micro, Macro & Close-up (Public) topic #45531
View in threaded mode

Subject: "Macro Photography Tips and Tricks " Previous topic | Next topic
dm1dave Administrator Awarded for high level knowledge and skills in various areas, most notably in Wildlife and Landscape Writer Ribbon awarded for his excellent article contributions to the Nikonians community Nikonian since 12th Sep 2006Tue 13-Sep-11 08:35 PM
11279 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
"Macro Photography Tips and Tricks "
Tue 13-Sep-11 08:39 PM by dm1dave

Lowden, US

Below are links to articles and threads of interest to macro photographers.

Articles

Close-up & Macro Photography By Nikonian Chuon-Szen Ong
You now want to get closer to your subjects? Check here how and with what equipment

Floral and other macro subjects on black by Nikonian Bill Staples
How to capture the real colors of subjects and make them pop out against a black background

Discussion Threads

Understanding Macro Lens Apertures

Macro Lens Working Distances

Macro Composition Tip and Tricks

Macro FAQs

If you see a thread that you think belongs here please bring it to the attention of a forum moderator and we will add the link.

Thank you,
Your Nikonians Team

Dave Summers
Lowden, Iowa
Nikonians Photo Contest Director

Nikonians membership -
"My most important photographic investment, after the camera"

My Nikonians Gallery | SummersPhotoGraphic.com | My Crated Gallery
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Showcase your best work in any of our 7 Monthly Nikonians Photo contests.

Wildlife | Landscape | Macro | Sports | Travel | Online Assignments | Best of Nikonians 2014

Alert Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic
landism Registered since 22nd Oct 2011Thu 27-Oct-11 01:35 AM
474 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#1. "RE: Macro Photography Tips and Tricks "
In response to Reply # 0

CA

Awesome references... Thanks !!

mb67 Gold Member Nikonian since 05th Oct 2007Thu 03-Nov-11 02:23 PM
5 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#2. "RE: Macro Photography Tips and Tricks "
In response to Reply # 0

ottawa, CA

I have a d200 and pb-4 bellows
What extra equipment do I need to attach a macro lens?
thanks
Mike Browne

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

OldCodger Registered since 15th Oct 2011Sun 06-Nov-11 09:32 AM
541 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#3. "RE: Macro Photography Tips and Tricks "
In response to Reply # 2

Sawbridgeworth Hertfordshire, GB

I recently bought a D7000, not quite the same as your camera. I had a PB4 bellow bought some time ago, (30 plus years ago?)for use with film Nikons. I also had a 105mm bellows F4 Nikor which was bought at the same time as the bellows. Both have been sealed up and stored away for well over 25 years or so having been in the Middle East, the Far East and now in the UK.
Anyway I dug them out and after rotating the camera mount to allow clearance of the camera body bulge I coupled the camera to the bellows and shot a few insurance pictures, with available light and then with multi-flash. I was pleased with these initial results. The camera took care of the stop down metering with ambient light. However, my old flashguns required the 'suck it and see approach' to exposure. At least the SB16 would fire off at the correct time and allow remote triggering of other flashes with a flash slave. (The inbuilt flash sends out its pre-flashes and resulted in missed flashes from the remotely triggered guns.) I ended up with the lens fully stopped down (F32) with the combined effects of an SB16 and a Vivitar 365 potato masher bounced round a light tent.
In part this was an experiment to see if old kit still had any life left in it.
If you go down this route, watch out for flash trigger voltages on old guns! You may have seen the warning and know all about the issue, but others may still be unaware.
Experiments were brought to a crashing stop by a problem with my leg, (I still do not know what caused/causes it and neither does anyone else). But I hope to be able to try again soon.
I realise the this is probably not what you were after, you probably have auto lenses and AF. In my 'box of unexplored bits' I do have a mounting ring that appears to operate, (memory is having a fade out moment or two) the stop down mechanism of auto-diaphragm lenses. Was that what you were referring to?
As far as I am aware there is no way to connect a modern camera to the lens through the bellows unit, but others are welcome to correct me.

TerryMc Silver Member Nikonian since 25th Oct 2008Sun 06-Nov-11 10:37 AM
397 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#4. "RE: Macro Photography Tips and Tricks "
In response to Reply # 0

Sagamore Hills, US

Is this a sticky? If not it should be.

Terry

Tony_Jeffree Registered since 13th Oct 2004Wed 11-Jan-12 01:35 PM
2016 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#5. "RE: Macro Photography Tips and Tricks "
In response to Reply # 0

Manchester, GB

I have just posted an update to the "Macro Lens Working Distances" tables.

Regards,
Tony

My Nikonians Gallery

liamtoh1ps Registered since 17th Apr 2012Sat 26-May-12 04:40 AM
309 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#6. "RE: Macro Photography Tips and Tricks "
In response to Reply # 0

US

Basic Macro Photography Tutorial

kenuck Silver Member Nikonian since 03rd Nov 2008Sun 16-Sep-12 06:21 PM
91 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#7. "RE: Macro Photography Tips and Tricks "
In response to Reply # 3
Sun 16-Sep-12 09:55 PM by kenuck

Burnaby, CA

Good basic tutorial
http://www.cambridgeincolour.com/tutorials/macro-photography-intro.htm
These guys are pretty hard core...
http://photomacrography.net/forum/index.php

On the above post (a bit off topic...)
>As far as I am aware there is no way to connect a modern
>camera to the lens through the bellows unit, but others are
>welcome to correct me.

I've used a bellows setup with a Nikon V1 and 50mm f/1.4D lens. Works OK in Manual focus, A or M mode See:
http://www.nikonians.org/forums/dcboard.php?az=show_topic&forum=419&topic_id=1866&mesg_id=1866&page=

Ken

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

Forums Lobby MASTER YOUR VISION - BY SPECIALTY Micro, Macro & Close-up (Public) topic #45531 Previous topic | Next topic

Take the Nikonians Tour and learn more about being a Nikonian Wiki /FAQ /Help Listen to our MP3 photography radio channels Find anything on Nikon and imaging technology - fast!

Copyright © Nikonians 2000, 2014
All Rights Reserved

Nikonians®, NikoScope® and NikoniansAcademy™ are trademarks owned by Nikonians.org.
Nikon®, Nikonos® and Nikkor® are registered trademarks of Nikon Corporation.