Go to a  "printer friendly" view of this message which allow an easy print Printer-friendly copy Go to the page which allows you to send this topic link and a message to a friend Email this topic to a friend
Forums Lobby MASTER YOUR VISION - BY SPECIALTY Landscape (Public) topic #74954
View in threaded mode

Subject: "Bear Lake - RMNP - Is rock a plus or minus?" Previous topic | Next topic
Melman59 Silver Member Nikonian since 18th Nov 2009Sat 06-Jul-13 01:57 AM
254 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
"Bear Lake - RMNP - Is rock a plus or minus?"

Monroe, US

I took this early in June out at Rocky Mountain National Park. It is Bear Lake with Longs Peak in the background. I was fortunate to have a calm lake with nice clouds and color. I tried to incorporate some foreground material and I found this large rock along side the small rock. My question is: Does the large rock add to the photograph or is it a distraction? Feel free to apply C and C regarding any other aspect of the photo too. This was taken with a D800 and a 24-70mm F2.8 lens at 24mm. Shutter 1/20, Aperture F11, ISO 400, Tripod mounted. By the way there is a lens hood for a 16-35mm F4 lens in the drink just ahead of these rocks. It fell out of my back pack while fishing for my remote. I tried to reach between the rocks it fell between to retrieve it, but the water was a lot deeper than it looked. Oh well, it wasn't an expensive item. Thanks for looking.
Tom

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

Attachment #1, (jpg file)

Alert Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic
cogrady Silver Member Nikonian since 29th Jan 2009Sat 06-Jul-13 01:10 PM
571 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#1. "RE: Bear Lake - RMNP - Is rock a plus or minus?"
In response to Reply # 0

Salt Lake City, US

I like the rock. I think it anchors the scene and adds an element of interest. The image is lovely. I like the pastels from the clouds, particularly in the water.

At first I was going to say that the rock may be too large in the scene but I think what bothers me is the large dark reflection it casts. I may have framed the image to include the large rock just at the very bottom of the frame.

Too bad about the lens hood. I'd guess the water was too cold to take the plunge!

Cheers!
Claudia

www.one-eye-closed.com
www.lastlightphotographicstudios.com

DaddySS Gold Member Nikonian since 26th Dec 2006Sat 06-Jul-13 02:12 PM
822 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#2. "RE: Bear Lake - RMNP - Is rock a plus or minus?"
In response to Reply # 0

Woodcliff Lake, US

I would like to see the shot up and back a little. I like the rock but it is a little to overbearing for the overall photo...nice shot BTW.

Richard

Melman59 Silver Member Nikonian since 18th Nov 2009Sat 06-Jul-13 07:58 PM
254 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#3. "RE: Bear Lake - RMNP - Is rock a plus or minus?"
In response to Reply # 1

Monroe, US

Claudia,
Thanks for your comments. I could try a different crop to get rid of the shadow. My wife was shooting the same scene, but she composed the shot with the rocks projecting out of the lower right. In other words, the big rock was only partially showing. The lens hood fell in the water between some rocks I was perched on. I put my hand in as far as it would go between the rocks and still could not touch bottom.
Tom

Melman59 Silver Member Nikonian since 18th Nov 2009Sat 06-Jul-13 08:32 PM
#4. "RE: Bear Lake - RMNP - Is rock a plus or minus?"
In response to Reply # 2

Monroe, US

Thanks Richard for looking and your comment. When we first got to Bear Lake we explored some areas up higher on some rocks, but there was always a lot of scrubby brush in the way. Same with backing up. Probably what I need to do next time is go during the middle of the day and thoroughly explore other areas that might have better possibilities. Thanks again for commenting.
Tom

danshep Silver Member Charter MemberSat 06-Jul-13 08:43 PM
1330 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#5. "RE: Bear Lake - RMNP - Is rock a plus or minus?"
In response to Reply # 0

Olympia, US

In my opinion, my eye is distracted because the focal point kind of goes backwards, from the big rock, to the smaller one.

My suggestion would be to crop just above the top of the smaller rock.

That way, your eye goes from big rock into the background.

I like the shot, by the way.

"Today is the tomorrow that yesterday you spent money like there was no"

Melman59 Silver Member Nikonian since 18th Nov 2009Sun 07-Jul-13 01:54 AM
#6. "RE: Bear Lake - RMNP - Is rock a plus or minus?"
In response to Reply # 5

Monroe, US

Hello Dan,
Thanks for looking. I modified the photo by cloning out the small rock and cropping much of the shadow from the big rock out. Not sure I like this any better. Now the shadow that is left seems more distracting to me because I can't tell for sure what it is. I have also included a photo that my wife took of the same scene. She went wider angle and had the rocks coming in from the side.
Tom

Attachment #2, (jpg file)

juggles Silver Member Nikonian since 28th Oct 2012Sun 07-Jul-13 03:09 AM
105 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#7. "RE: Bear Lake - RMNP - Is rock a plus or minus?"
In response to Reply # 2
Sun 07-Jul-13 03:10 AM by juggles

Lexington, US

>I would like to see the shot up and back a little. I like
>the rock but it is a little to overbearing for the overall
>photo...nice shot BTW.

Agreed. I want to like the rock but it's just so prominent that it becomes a picture about a rock instead of a picture about a lake and mountains. My first thought is that I want to push the rock back in the frame and make it smaller.
My second thought was to crop part of the rock out, leaving it on the edge of the frame. Maybe something like this:

I think the brightly lit lower right corner of the original was competing for attention with the brightly lit mountains. Chopping off part of the rock with the right edge of frame de-emphasizes it but you still have it as a foreground element to provide a strong sense of depth.
Great shot, by the way. Love the colors.

Melman59 Silver Member Nikonian since 18th Nov 2009Sun 07-Jul-13 03:15 AM
#8. "RE: Bear Lake - RMNP - Is rock a plus or minus?"
In response to Reply # 7

Monroe, US

Hello Jack,
I didn't know if I would like the rock chopped off or not, but after looking at your crop, I think it looks good. Good point about the bright spot on the lower right. I think it does compete somewhat with the rest of the image. Thanks for your comments.
Tom

juggles Silver Member Nikonian since 28th Oct 2012Sun 07-Jul-13 03:49 AM
105 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#9. "RE: Bear Lake - RMNP - Is rock a plus or minus?"
In response to Reply # 8

Lexington, US

Well, it wasn't until after I looked at the crop that I realized that about the brightness in the lower right corner, so I'm not really that clever after all.

coolmom42 Silver Member Awarded for her enthusiastic support of the community and exemplifying the Nikonian mission “Share, Learn and Inspire” Nikonian since 30th Nov 2011Sun 07-Jul-13 04:38 AM
3057 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#10. "RE: Bear Lake - RMNP - Is rock a plus or minus?"
In response to Reply # 6

McEwen, US

I have to say I do like your wife's composition better. The rock is not so dominant in the image, and the cloud reflections are lovely.

working on it in Middle TN
Nikon D3100

35 mm 1.8 Nikkor
18-55 mm Nikkor VR
55-200 mm Nikkor VR
55-300 mm Nikkor VR
150-500 mm Sigma OS
Feisol CT3471 & Markins M20 ballhead

Melman59 Silver Member Nikonian since 18th Nov 2009Sun 07-Jul-13 05:14 AM
#11. "RE: Bear Lake - RMNP - Is rock a plus or minus?"
In response to Reply # 10

Monroe, US

Diane,
I like hers better too. She has a very good eye.
Tom

landism Registered since 22nd Oct 2011Sun 07-Jul-13 12:07 PM
476 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#12. "RE: Bear Lake - RMNP - Is rock a plus or minus?"
In response to Reply # 0

CA

Rock on!!!!

Melman59 Silver Member Nikonian since 18th Nov 2009Sun 07-Jul-13 01:08 PM
#13. "RE: Bear Lake - RMNP - Is rock a plus or minus?"
In response to Reply # 12

Monroe, US

Thanks Mark. I'll take that as a yes.
Tom

jamesvoortman Silver Member Nikonian since 06th Sep 2004Tue 09-Jul-13 03:24 AM
1200 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#14. "RE: Bear Lake - RMNP - Is rock a plus or minus?"
In response to Reply # 0

Durban, ZA

Beautiful lighting. I'm ambivalent about the rock. It dominates the scene and yet adds interest. Maybe a different viewpoint or a wider angle to make it less dominant?

Robman3 Registered since 12th Apr 2010Tue 09-Jul-13 06:39 AM
1781 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#15. "RE: Bear Lake - RMNP - Is rock a plus or minus?"
In response to Reply # 0
Tue 09-Jul-13 06:42 AM by Robman3

West of Santa Monica, US

Rocks plural and a classic render.

Triangular shapes melding throughout (1/3s 1/6s) the background, the granite and cloud colors from left and the inverse reflection shadows.

Can be viewed Oriental leading with the larger rock and green dark water, and Occidental with the granite sliver.

Quite a good take IMO.

Cropping? MEH, as a stand alone I doubt anyone else would complain if this were the only keeper.

Thanks!

Rob Manning

af4nc Gold Member Nikonian since 07th Jul 2007Tue 09-Jul-13 09:52 AM
3194 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#16. "RE: Bear Lake - RMNP - Is rock a plus or minus?"
In response to Reply # 0

Yardley, US

I like the rock, nice composition.

Tom MILLS
Its all about the light and composition
My best investment is my Nikonians membership.
af4nc@msn.com
www.tommills.zenfolio.com

Melman59 Silver Member Nikonian since 18th Nov 2009Wed 10-Jul-13 01:37 AM
#17. "RE: Bear Lake - RMNP - Is rock a plus or minus?"
In response to Reply # 14

Monroe, US

James,
Thanks for your comments. I think the viewpoint my wife shot from might be the best solution. She went wider and has the rocks projecting in from the side.
Tom

Melman59 Silver Member Nikonian since 18th Nov 2009Wed 10-Jul-13 01:44 AM
#18. "RE: Bear Lake - RMNP - Is rock a plus or minus?"
In response to Reply # 15

Monroe, US

Rob,
Thanks for looking. I appreciate your comments.
Tom

Melman59 Silver Member Nikonian since 18th Nov 2009Wed 10-Jul-13 01:47 AM
#19. "RE: Bear Lake - RMNP - Is rock a plus or minus?"
In response to Reply # 16

Monroe, US

Tom,
Thank you for your kind comments. I think the best way to learn is to get the opinion of others as diverse as it is.
Tom

mnbuilder49 Moderator Awarded for his high level skills in various areas, especially in Interiors Architecture, Landscape and HDR Photography Nikonian since 18th Apr 2006Sun 14-Jul-13 09:12 PM
3926 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#20. "RE: Bear Lake - RMNP - Is rock a plus or minus?"
In response to Reply # 0

Lakeville, US

The rock provides the foreground so I think it is a plus. I agree that if the shot was taken from further back it might look better.

Larry
http://www.larryandersonphotography.com
http://www.andersonmasterbuilders.com

olivierrychner Gold Member  Awarded for his long standing high level of commitment to the Nikonians community and demonstrated excellence in the art and science of photography. Nikonian since 03rd Jan 2005Sun 14-Jul-13 09:18 PM
4952 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#21. "RE: Bear Lake - RMNP - Is rock a plus or minus?"
In response to Reply # 0

CH

Taken some time looking at the different versions, crops and takes of this lovely scenes. Your first image stays my favourite, your wife's a close second.

But - there's always a "but"... - I'd do something about the trees jutting out of the image because you aimed your camera low to raise the horizon...

Olivier Rychner

Auta i lomë! And my Nikon's only awaiting daylight...

Melman59 Silver Member Nikonian since 18th Nov 2009Mon 15-Jul-13 01:22 AM
#22. "RE: Bear Lake - RMNP - Is rock a plus or minus?"
In response to Reply # 20

Monroe, US

Larry,
Thanks for your input. Very good point. Unfortunately, the rock was very close to the shore. So close that if I were more adventurous, and younger, I could probably have jumped out to it. Backing up injected some unsightly brush. At least that is how I remember it. I would love to go back and check it out again to see if there was a possibility of backing up a little.
Tom

Melman59 Silver Member Nikonian since 18th Nov 2009Mon 15-Jul-13 01:25 AM
#23. "RE: Bear Lake - RMNP - Is rock a plus or minus?"
In response to Reply # 21

Monroe, US

Thanks Olivier for looking. It's the "buts" that I am interested in because that is what helps me improve. However, I am not quite sure exactly what you mean about the trees. Please clarify if you observe this post again. Thanks.
Tom

OldCodger Registered since 15th Oct 2011Mon 15-Jul-13 06:25 AM
580 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#24. "RE: Bear Lake - RMNP - Is rock a plus or minus?"
In response to Reply # 6

Sawbridgeworth Hertfordshire, GB

I prefer your wife's composition, partially because it just 'feels' to have better balance. I also like it because the speckles of floating debris break up the shadow and combine with the bright right bottom corner in your shot to make it busy and distracting.
(Mind you both images are better than almost everyone of mine.)
Richard

Melman59 Silver Member Nikonian since 18th Nov 2009Mon 15-Jul-13 08:24 PM
#25. "RE: Bear Lake - RMNP - Is rock a plus or minus?"
In response to Reply # 24

Monroe, US

Hi Richard,
I agree. She did quite well on her shot. I may have to work on those speckles. It may take a little time, but it should be pretty easy to get rid of them. Thanks for your comments. I appreciate it greatly.
Tom

pentwater Silver Member Nikonian since 15th Dec 2003Tue 16-Jul-13 12:44 PM
167 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#26. "RE: Bear Lake - RMNP - Is rock a plus or minus?"
In response to Reply # 6

Jupiter, US

Hi Tom,

Both lovely shots, but I too, like you wife's composition better. The fact that she went wider and had the rock on the side almost "pointing" towards the middle of the scene really drew my eyes into the majestic mountains in the center back. That amplified the depth and, for me, made it special.

Cheers,

Bill

Bump57 Silver Member Awarded for his high skill level in Landscape and Nature Photography and willingness to share his learning experiences to help others. Nikonian since 01st Apr 2007Tue 16-Jul-13 01:06 PM
6542 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#27. "RE: Bear Lake - RMNP - Is rock a plus or minus?"
In response to Reply # 0

US

Hi Tom. Beautiful light, tones & color in this scene. For me the rock is too much, it takes over and becomes the subject. A little wider view, 12-16mm maybe and some more of that beautiful sky and I would have liked it much more. This time I think your wife has you beat.

Scott Martin Sternberg

Scotts Fine Art

Melman59 Silver Member Nikonian since 18th Nov 2009Tue 16-Jul-13 02:21 PM
#28. "RE: Bear Lake - RMNP - Is rock a plus or minus?"
In response to Reply # 27

Monroe, US

Hi Scott,
Thanks for sharing. Very good point. I was at 24mm with my 24-70. I should have tried my 16-35. This is not the first time my wife has me beat and I'm sure it won't be the last.
Tom

Melman59 Silver Member Nikonian since 18th Nov 2009Tue 16-Jul-13 02:26 PM
#29. "RE: Bear Lake - RMNP - Is rock a plus or minus?"
In response to Reply # 26

Monroe, US

Thanks for commenting Bill. I agree. She outdid me with this scene.
Tom

Forums Lobby MASTER YOUR VISION - BY SPECIALTY Landscape (Public) topic #74954 Previous topic | Next topic

Take the Nikonians Tour and learn more about being a Nikonian Wiki /FAQ /Help Listen to our MP3 photography radio channels Find anything on Nikon and imaging technology - fast!

Copyright © Nikonians 2000, 2014
All Rights Reserved

Nikonians®, NikoScope® and NikoniansAcademy™ are trademarks owned by Nikonians.org.
Nikon®, Nikonos® and Nikkor® are registered trademarks of Nikon Corporation.