nikonians

Even though we ARE Nikon lovers,we are NOT affiliated with Nikon Corp. in any way.

| |
Go to a  "printer friendly" view of this message which allow an easy print Printer-friendly copy Go to the page which allows you to send this topic link and a message to a friend Email this topic to a friend
Forums Lobby MASTER YOUR VISION - BY SPECIALTY Landscape (Public) topic #72841
View in threaded mode

Subject: "A different view of Valley of Fire" Previous topic | Next topic
newbird Silver Member Donor Ribbon awarded for his support to the Fundraising Campaign 2014 Nikonian since 25th Apr 2006Sun 24-Mar-13 11:39 PM
2006 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
"A different view of Valley of Fire"

Neuville, near Quebec City, CA

I'm just coming back from the Death Valley Workshop with Michael Marriant. Great time!

I also took two days on my own to go to Valley of Fire (cf. the photo of comet Pannstarrs I posted recently).

Here is a photo of the Vally that shows a very different point of view than what we usually see from this superb state park.

Camera model: NIKON D800
Focal length: 16 mm
Focal length (35mm): 16 mm
Max lens aperture: f/4
Exposure: 1/250 at f/11
Flash: Not fired, compulsory mode
Exposure bias: 0 EV
Exposure mode: Auto
Exposure prog.: Aperture priority
ISO speed: ISO 400
Metering mode: Pattern

The second photo is the best attempt I made to replicate a fantastic photo from Tim Fitzharris National Audubon Guide to Landscape Photography (p. 95 and back cover). I found the exact place on my second trip to Valley of Fire, with the help of Google Earth 3D data. As you may see, Fitzharris' photo was taken at rising sun while mine was taken in mid-day. Also, I assume that Fitzharris photo was after rain since the colors and contrasts are much stronger than they were when I went there. Fitzharris photo was made on digital Phase One P 25 digital back and Mamiya-Sekor 35mm f/3.5 lens + Singh-Ray CPL while mine was made with D800 and Nikkor DX 10.5mm fisheye without CPL. I thus add a little contrast and color intensity with post-processing.

Camera model: NIKON D800
Focal length: 10,5 mm
Focal length (35mm): 15 mm
Max lens aperture: f/2,8
Exposure: 1/2000 at f/11
Flash: Not fired, compulsory mode
Exposure bias: 0 EV
Exposure mode: Auto
Exposure prog.: Aperture priority
ISO speed: ISO 800
Metering mode: Pattern

Comments are welcome!

Yvan
Quebec Nikonian
http://yvanbedardphotonature.com

Attachment #1, (jpg file)
Attachment #2, (jpg file)

Alert Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic
russg Silver Member Nikonian since 03rd Nov 2007Mon 25-Mar-13 04:30 AM
1344 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#1. "RE: A different view of Valley of Fire"
In response to Reply # 0

Phoenix, US

I really like the view of the long highway through the rock formation. Really a great shot. I think I'd be tempted to clone out the vehicle. I like the idea that you're the only one there (even if it is your vehicle).

Russ

newbird Silver Member Donor Ribbon awarded for his support to the Fundraising Campaign 2014 Nikonian since 25th Apr 2006Mon 25-Mar-13 01:09 PM
2006 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#2. "RE: A different view of Valley of Fire"
In response to Reply # 1

Thanks Russ for the comment. I also thought about removing the vehicule from the photo and will likely do so for the final "fine-art photo"

Yvan
Quebec Nikonian

spiritualized67 Silver Member Nikonian since 01st Mar 2007Mon 25-Mar-13 04:39 PM
3178 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#3. "RE: A different view of Valley of Fire"
In response to Reply # 0

Western PA, US

Very nice Yvan - an interesting perspective for sure.

Heading to Vegas on a business trip in early May - and plan on spending a day or two visiting Red Rocks and Valley of Fire.

Been to VOF on my way back from Zion last November, and love the place! Looks like Mars.

Nice captures.

~Dan
www.danielstainer.com

newbird Silver Member Donor Ribbon awarded for his support to the Fundraising Campaign 2014 Nikonian since 25th Apr 2006Mon 25-Mar-13 07:48 PM
#4. "RE: A different view of Valley of Fire"
In response to Reply # 3

Thanks Dan,

VOF is certainly one of the most spectacular and strange places for photography. The colors, textures and shapes are amazing!

IMHO, it has as much potential for photography as Death Valley and you spend much less time driving from one place to the next.

I've also been to Zion but only for a few hours. It ranks very high also on my list of "must-go-back" places.

Regarding Red Rock Canyon, I went back there also last week as well as Mount Charleston. I should have driven back to VOF instead (for another day).

I'll have much more photos coming in the next few weeks as I finish selecting and post-processing my photos of this last trip!

Yvan
Quebec Nikonian

Forums Lobby MASTER YOUR VISION - BY SPECIALTY Landscape (Public) topic #72841 Previous topic | Next topic