nikonians

Even though we ARE Nikon lovers,we are NOT affiliated with Nikon Corp. in any way.

| |
Go to a  "printer friendly" view of this message which allow an easy print Printer-friendly copy Go to the page which allows you to send this topic link and a message to a friend Email this topic to a friend
Forums Lobby MASTER YOUR VISION - BY SPECIALTY Wildlife (Public) topic #162728
View in threaded mode

Subject: "The Past Week" Previous topic | Next topic
rb4good Silver Member Donor Ribbon awarded for his generous support to the Fundraising Campaign 2014 Nikonian since 22nd May 2006Sun 08-Sep-13 03:15 PM
4653 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
"The Past Week"

Rocky Hill, US

Several images taken 3 different days over the course of a week. The Osprey are very few in number now . The Great and Snowy Egrets seem to be massing for a run south as well as the Little Blues with their offspring and the Yellow-crowned Night Herons. Several of the small migrants showed up recently on there way south(all I have seen so far has been females and 1st year birds) and some Northern Harriers, American Kestrels and Merlins have made their way into the area, hopefully for an overwinter stay.

D7100,300mmF4,1.4tc,hand held

Osprey

Common Yellowthroat Warbler

Great Egret

Little Blue Heron

Yellow-crowned Night Heron

Black and White Warbler

Northern Waterthrush

American Redstart

Another Common Yellowthroat Warbler(not positive on this or the other yellowthroat ID)

Rick

Attachment #1, (jpg file)
Attachment #2, (jpg file)
Attachment #3, (jpg file)
Attachment #4, (jpg file)
Attachment #5, (jpg file)
Attachment #6, (jpg file)
Attachment #7, (jpg file)
Attachment #8, (jpg file)
Attachment #9, (jpg file)

Alert Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic
jamesvoortman Silver Member Nikonian since 06th Sep 2004Sun 08-Sep-13 04:14 PM
1228 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#1. "RE: The Past Week"
In response to Reply # 0

Durban, ZA

Wow!!

All beautiful images and so good its difficult to choose a favourite.

I am really impressed by the quality of images (yours and others) that I am seeing with the 300 f4, both with and without tc. In spite of rumors that it may soon be updated I am tempted to pick one of the existing versions up. Now that I have the 500 VR I am looking for a sharper alternative to my old 80-400 AF-D VR so that I will have something light and portable for handheld shots.

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

Asgard Administrator He is your Chief Guardian Angel at the Helpdesk and knows a lot about a lot Nikonian since 07th Apr 2004Sun 08-Sep-13 07:03 PM
52817 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#2. "RE: The Past Week"
In response to Reply # 0

East Frisia, DE

Very nice series.

Well done.

Gerold - Nikonian in East Frisia
Eala Freya Fresena

rb4good Silver Member Donor Ribbon awarded for his generous support to the Fundraising Campaign 2014 Nikonian since 22nd May 2006Mon 09-Sep-13 06:28 PM
4653 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#3. "RE: The Past Week"
In response to Reply # 1

Rocky Hill, US

Thanks, James. I also had the old 80-400mm and the 300F4 is way better than that lens even with a tc. Have no knowledge on the newer version of the 80-400, but hear it is very good. I had thought that the updated 300F4 would come out right after I purchased one but it still isn't out there. VR is only missed when I'm shooting in where the warblers and other small birds like to hang out.

Rick

rb4good Silver Member Donor Ribbon awarded for his generous support to the Fundraising Campaign 2014 Nikonian since 22nd May 2006Mon 09-Sep-13 06:29 PM
#4. "RE: The Past Week"
In response to Reply # 2

Rocky Hill, US

Thank you, Gerold.

Rick

vcottman Silver Member Nikonian since 22nd May 2006Mon 09-Sep-13 07:57 PM
7433 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#5. "RE: The Past Week"
In response to Reply # 0

Denver, US

Outstanding series Rick!! It looks like the osprey caught a flounder; a great feast for a raptor or a person. The osprey is my favorite, but your warbler shots, along with the others are superb.

Good shootin'

Vaughn

A Mile High Nikonian

Photography: It's not what I do for a living---It's what I do for Life!
www.vcottman.zenfolio.com

rb4good Silver Member Donor Ribbon awarded for his generous support to the Fundraising Campaign 2014 Nikonian since 22nd May 2006Tue 10-Sep-13 10:47 AM
#6. "RE: The Past Week"
In response to Reply # 5

Rocky Hill, US

Thanks very much for your kind words Vaughn.

Rick

Ineluki Gold Member Nikonian since 03rd Aug 2011Tue 10-Sep-13 12:42 PM
3399 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#7. "RE: The Past Week"
In response to Reply # 0

Nürnberg, DE

Wonderful pictures and a great lens.

Egbert

www.allmondo.com

http://images.nikonians.org/galleries/showgallery.php/ppuser/401509/cat/500/

rb4good Silver Member Donor Ribbon awarded for his generous support to the Fundraising Campaign 2014 Nikonian since 22nd May 2006Tue 10-Sep-13 08:18 PM
#8. "RE: The Past Week"
In response to Reply # 7

Rocky Hill, US

Thanks Egbert. It's the only lens I use for wildlife,including bugs. I do switch out to my 105mmMacro for some of the real small critters.

Rick

Countryboy Silver Member Nikonian since 02nd Mar 2007Tue 10-Sep-13 08:45 PM
4334 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#9. "RE: The Past Week"
In response to Reply # 0

US

Excellent images and thanks for the providing the ID's. I can now see why folks get so excited about warblers.

Tom

shotglass Gold Member Nikonian since 06th Feb 2010Wed 11-Sep-13 12:16 AM
104 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#10. "RE: The Past Week"
In response to Reply # 0

Springfield Ohio, US

Beautiful images. Love the Little Blue with the fish in its beak.

Please Visit My Website www.pfbimages.photoshelter.com

rb4good Silver Member Donor Ribbon awarded for his generous support to the Fundraising Campaign 2014 Nikonian since 22nd May 2006Wed 11-Sep-13 06:35 PM
#11. "RE: The Past Week"
In response to Reply # 9

Rocky Hill, US

Thanks, Tom. I do try to provide an ID of my bird postings(not always right) but with warblers and sparrows I often get them wrong. And yes, there are many beautiful colorful warblers.

Rick

rb4good Silver Member Donor Ribbon awarded for his generous support to the Fundraising Campaign 2014 Nikonian since 22nd May 2006Wed 11-Sep-13 06:36 PM
#12. "RE: The Past Week"
In response to Reply # 10

Rocky Hill, US

Thanks very much, Paul.

Rick

stormpeak Silver Member Nikonian since 29th May 2012Thu 12-Sep-13 03:13 AM
197 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#13. "RE: The Past Week"
In response to Reply # 12

US

I love all the shots, but especially of the Northern Waterthrush with its reflection. Nice work!

Scotty45 Silver Member Nikonian since 20th Mar 2010Thu 12-Sep-13 03:45 AM
1376 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#14. "RE: The Past Week"
In response to Reply # 0

Swan Reach.Vic., AU

Another superb series Rick. Great work.....Scotty.

'Proper Preparation Prevents Pathetic Performance'.

Biker Bill Registered since 01st Nov 2009Thu 12-Sep-13 11:56 AM
929 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#15. "RE: The Past Week"
In response to Reply # 0

Lakeville, US

Beautiful series. To get the shots of the warblers so out in the open shows you have knowledge and patience.

rb4good Silver Member Donor Ribbon awarded for his generous support to the Fundraising Campaign 2014 Nikonian since 22nd May 2006Thu 12-Sep-13 02:41 PM
#16. "RE: The Past Week"
In response to Reply # 13

Rocky Hill, US

Thanks, Oscar.

Rick

rb4good Silver Member Donor Ribbon awarded for his generous support to the Fundraising Campaign 2014 Nikonian since 22nd May 2006Thu 12-Sep-13 02:44 PM
#17. "RE: The Past Week"
In response to Reply # 14

Rocky Hill, US

Thanks very much, Scotty.

Rick

rb4good Silver Member Donor Ribbon awarded for his generous support to the Fundraising Campaign 2014 Nikonian since 22nd May 2006Thu 12-Sep-13 02:45 PM
#18. "RE: The Past Week"
In response to Reply # 15

Rocky Hill, US

Thanks Bill. The little birds do take a lot of patience.

Rick

Jim Pearce Silver Member Nikonian since 02nd Mar 2004Sat 14-Sep-13 01:48 AM
4397 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#19. "RE: The Past Week"
In response to Reply # 0

Grimsby, CA

All good Rick but I especially like the Yellow-crown and Waterthrush.

Jim

Dubes Silver Member Awarded for his high level of achievement and willingness to help others – most notably in wildlife photography. Nikonian since 16th Jun 2007Sat 14-Sep-13 03:05 AM
6143 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#20. "RE: The Past Week"
In response to Reply # 0

Mississauga, CA

Excellent series of images Rick, the 300 f/4 is certainly a very capable lens and a real bargain considering the IQ it produces. Congrats on the waterthrush, a bird I've looked for but still eludes me.

Please Visit My Gallery and my website at www.richarddubiel.com
Richard

s2sailorlis_nikon Silver Member Nikonian since 19th Jun 2012Sat 14-Sep-13 05:18 AM
596 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#21. "RE: The Past Week"
In response to Reply # 0

US

Rick nice series. I especially like the Waterthrush and its reflection. Nice capture.

I just picked up a refurbished D7000 from Adorama this week. Can't wait to try it with the 300/TC 14 combo this weekend ..

Rick

excuse typos...via iPad....

rb4good Silver Member Donor Ribbon awarded for his generous support to the Fundraising Campaign 2014 Nikonian since 22nd May 2006Sat 14-Sep-13 07:12 PM
#22. "RE: The Past Week"
In response to Reply # 19

Rocky Hill, US

Thanks very much, Jim.

Rick

rb4good Silver Member Donor Ribbon awarded for his generous support to the Fundraising Campaign 2014 Nikonian since 22nd May 2006Sat 14-Sep-13 07:18 PM
#23. "RE: The Past Week"
In response to Reply # 20

Rocky Hill, US

Thanks Richard.I really like the 300F4 for the type of bird shooting that I do as I'm always on the move. The waterthrush is another of those birds that I have to catch during migration.First one that I've seen in a while.

Rick

rb4good Silver Member Donor Ribbon awarded for his generous support to the Fundraising Campaign 2014 Nikonian since 22nd May 2006Sat 14-Sep-13 07:20 PM
#24. "RE: The Past Week"
In response to Reply # 21

Rocky Hill, US

Thanks Rick.I'm sure you will enjoy your new camera.Good luck in your weekend quest.

Rick

Forums Lobby MASTER YOUR VISION - BY SPECIALTY Wildlife (Public) topic #162728 Previous topic | Next topic