Go to a  "printer friendly" view of this message which allow an easy print Printer-friendly copy Go to the page which allows you to send this topic link and a message to a friend Email this topic to a friend
Forums Lobby MASTER YOUR VISION - BY SPECIALTY Wildlife (Public) topic #157736
View in threaded mode

Subject: "D800 – 300mm F2.8 - TC17 – Yellow-throated Warbler" Previous topic | Next topic
Gerard Pas Silver Member Nikonian since 10th Mar 2008Thu 30-May-13 02:28 PM
4543 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
"D800 – 300mm F2.8 - TC17 – Yellow-throated Warbler"
Thu 30-May-13 02:33 PM by Gerard Pas

Snowsquall, CA

Yellow-throated Warbler (Setophaga dominica)
During the spring migration at Rondeau Provincial Park, Ontario, Canada.
Gerard Pas © 2013 All Rights Reserved

Nikon D800, AF-S NIKKOR 300mm f/2.8G IF-ED VR, TC-17E II
1/800s @ f/8, ISO 200, EV - 0.3, aperture priority
Nikon SB 910, TTL EV -1.7, Flash extender
tripod, LR4 & PS CS6 post processing

While I have other more traditional photos of this rare bird (in our region) I just enjoyed the quizzical look the bird is giving me and thought I’d share it with you.

Gerard Pas

Ars est celare artem — It is true art to conceal art.
http://www.gerardpas.com

Alert Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic
dda53 Gold Member Nikonian since 31st Oct 2008Thu 30-May-13 02:53 PM
376 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#1. "RE: D800 – 300mm F2.8 - TC17 – Yellow-throated Warbler"
In response to Reply # 0

Pasadena, US

Very nice capture. He seems to be checking you out with the head turn. I am impressed with the TC17 performance. Well done Gerard.

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

t_jones Silver Member Nikonian since 05th Oct 2006Thu 30-May-13 05:45 PM
624 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#2. "RE: D800 – 300mm F2.8 - TC17 – Yellow-throated Warbler"
In response to Reply # 0

Laurel, US

Gerard,
Very nice. Seems to be wondering what that big black thing pointed at it is!
Thanks for sharing,
Tim

Jim Pearce Silver Member Nikonian since 02nd Mar 2004Fri 31-May-13 02:23 AM
4397 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#3. "RE: D800 – 300mm F2.8 - TC17 – Yellow-throated Warbler"
In response to Reply # 0

Grimsby, CA

Nice colour and detail on the chest, eye and beak Gerard. A question for you: what was your experience with the "ISOless" use of the D800 (Shooting at base ISO with negative comp, at least as I understand it.), and why did you start "shooting ISO"?

Jim

Scotty45 Silver Member Nikonian since 20th Mar 2010Fri 31-May-13 03:52 AM
1363 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#4. "RE: D800 – 300mm F2.8 - TC17 – Yellow-throated Warbler"
In response to Reply # 0

Swan Reach.Vic., AU

Nice shot Gerard. I like the inquisitive pose......Scotty.

'Proper Preparation Prevents Pathetic Performance'.

Gerard Pas Silver Member Nikonian since 10th Mar 2008Fri 31-May-13 02:46 PM
4543 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#5. "Thanks Jim - my vain attempt at an answer"
In response to Reply # 3
Fri 31-May-13 02:55 PM by Gerard Pas

Snowsquall, CA

Interesting question Jim!

I kinda agree with the current debate that “ISO” might be left out of the traditional “exposure triangle” because with advances in RAW processing there are currently many means to “brighten” an image that were not available in film. Part of the discussion in my opinion is simply ‘semantics’ as we still use the lexicon of the film camera on a much more complex “digital image capture machine” / computer. I should add I prefer to continue using that “old” language because the fundamentals of any good picture remain much the same as film; a good shot out of the camera always wins me over than one which has to be controlled through a series of post image production tools. When ISO is controlled through brightening tools in PP, images can and often do have issues such as clipping or heaven forbid artificial over-exposure. I see this more often than I like because often my students try to fix a poorly under-exposed image using PP tools and end up destroying the whole damn shot: highly irritating and hurtful to my eye - just SHOOT IT RIGHT IN THE FIRST (damn) PLACE place is a refrain they hear too often.

So yes ISO still matters and it matters to me and is why my current D300 spends much time on the shelf these days. That said, when used in moderation and with knowledge I’ve polished many images that have mostly been too ‘contrasty’ even while using some “d-lighting” in the camera. So ISO and brightening are not synonymous IMHO because ISO in a finished image does not always reflect the original “exposure triumvirate”. Given time we’ll change the language to reflect the modern camera-computer even if I believe what we have now is adequate.

I also think it’s very perceptive of you to notice that I used this “brightening process” in this image = you have such a good eye Jim!

As for ISO being a controlling factor in my work it’s very simple. I sell large prints as an artist and my existence as a photographer is not about having nice 1,600px for the web. I need to be able to print, sometimes even very large 4’X6’ (or larger) and that is where ISO really matters as it still controls the real enemy “noise”. As a professional this is where my bread is buttered, it’s an I must eat thing and I sell prints!

Also in my experience with my D800 I much prefer an ISO of 100 but alas while that works in the studio I loose too much shutter speed: so much so that the extra ISO isn’t worth the trade-off. If I’m shooting action and every shot is blurred because the shutter is too slow I haven’t gained a damn thing; so I now shoot mostly at ISO200 and it seems to be working well with me. It’s also why I use the flash to keep the ISO at 400 or lower and control “noise” in the final image.

I hope I didn’t miss the point of your question or digress away from it.

OT: are we shooting Red-necked Grebes this year?

Gerard Pas

Gerard Pas Silver Member Nikonian since 10th Mar 2008Fri 31-May-13 03:09 PM
#6. "RE: D800 – 300mm F2.8 - TC17 – Yellow-throated Warbler"
In response to Reply # 1
Fri 31-May-13 03:11 PM by Gerard Pas

Snowsquall, CA

Thanks David,

I think the TC17 is adequate and the maximum I’ll put on this lens. I don’t think it’s the “bees knees” like I do the TC14 but in birding I often need the reach. I also have a new TC20 II but I don’t like it contrary to all the find words about it. I just don’t like the bokeh the TC20 breaks off if it’s not just sky or background is far enough away. The TC20 sucks in the woods, a thicket, grasses or short choppy waves unless your with in 2-3 metres from the subject.

Gerard Pas

Gerard Pas Silver Member Nikonian since 10th Mar 2008Fri 31-May-13 03:12 PM
#7. "RE: D800 – 300mm F2.8 - TC17 – Yellow-throated Warbler"
In response to Reply # 2

Snowsquall, CA

Thanks for commenting Tim.

Gerard Pas

Gerard Pas Silver Member Nikonian since 10th Mar 2008Fri 31-May-13 03:13 PM
#8. "RE: D800 – 300mm F2.8 - TC17 – Yellow-throated Warbler"
In response to Reply # 4

Snowsquall, CA

Thanks Ian,

How's your fall shaping up down there?

Gerard Pas

Jim Pearce Silver Member Nikonian since 02nd Mar 2004Sat 01-Jun-13 02:26 AM
4397 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#9. "I'll likely have a look tomorrow Gerard..."
In response to Reply # 5

Grimsby, CA

I don't know if any chicks have hatched, but next week looks good after the excessive heat moves on. Nice to do an afternoon shoot! Weeks of early morning shooting wear me down.

Jim

Gerard Pas Silver Member Nikonian since 10th Mar 2008Sat 01-Jun-13 06:13 PM
#10. "RE: I'll likely have a look tomorrow Gerard..."
In response to Reply # 9

Snowsquall, CA

I hear you Jim a nice late afternoon shooting session would be a pleasant change, particularly when I have to get up so early to drive and meet with you before dawn's early light.

Did I miss the point or not understand your question?

Gerard Pas

Jim Pearce Silver Member Nikonian since 02nd Mar 2004Sun 02-Jun-13 03:11 AM
#11. "Gerard..."
In response to Reply # 10

Grimsby, CA

No, you understood the question, but I think it's too complex to pursue here. I think the inevitable problem in trying to apply ISOless techniques to wildlife photography in metering.

Jim

slopoki1 Silver Member Laureate Ribbon awarded for winning in the Best of Nikonians 2013 images Photo Contest Nikonian since 13th Jun 2012Mon 03-Jun-13 01:46 AM
1332 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#12. "RE: D800 – 300mm F2.8 - TC17 – Yellow-throated Warbler"
In response to Reply # 0

Homestead, US

Excellent capture Gerard.
Rick

Visit
http://www.slopoki1.com/Nature

Lunastar Silver Member Nikonian since 06th Jan 2010Mon 03-Jun-13 11:25 PM
3071 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#13. "RE: D800 – 300mm F2.8 - TC17 – Yellow-throated Warbler"
In response to Reply # 12

Mankato, US

Gerard, Excellent image with great color and sharpness. And, I agree with you-Shoot it right the first time!

Mark

www.mercuryoutdoorcommunications.com

massulo Gold Member Nikonian since 07th May 2002Tue 04-Jun-13 12:12 AM
10528 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#14. "RE: D800 – 300mm F2.8 - TC17 – Yellow-throated Warbler"
In response to Reply # 0

Tampa/Lutz, US

Love the details in the face and the colors - only wish that the whole branch was in focus.

Welcome back to the forum.....

Preston-(The Tampa Nikonian)..D300

-One does not know what one is missing - until you miss it..

My Website

qanik Silver Member Nikonian since 13th Dec 2007Tue 04-Jun-13 06:48 AM
193 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#15. "RE: D800 – 300mm F2.8 - TC17 – Yellow-throated Warbler"
In response to Reply # 0

Smithers/Stewart, CA

Gerard
agree, very nice picture especially due to the pose - in my birding book it is labelled as a miscellaneous stray in BC so very neat to to be acquainted with it - I guess it is to be differentiated from the common yellow throat which is endemic around us - anyways thanks for posting - agree with your ideas re ISO but hard to mate that with wildlife photos but I guess that is the challenge and therefore fun of photography
Michael

Scotty45 Silver Member Nikonian since 20th Mar 2010Tue 04-Jun-13 10:14 AM
1363 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#16. "RE: D800 – 300mm F2.8 - TC17 – Yellow-throated Warbler"
In response to Reply # 8

Swan Reach.Vic., AU

>Thanks Ian,
>
>How's your fall shaping up down there?

Actually Gerard. Autumn (fall) is all over here, & we're 4 days into winter. I live close enough to the coast that we don't usually get snow, so it won't stop me venturing outdoors with the camera......Scotty.

'Proper Preparation Prevents Pathetic Performance'.

Gerard Pas Silver Member Nikonian since 10th Mar 2008Tue 04-Jun-13 11:30 AM
#17. "RE: D800 – 300mm F2.8 - TC17 – Yellow-throated Warbler"
In response to Reply # 12

Snowsquall, CA

Thanks so much Rick. I take that as a real compliment in as much as I truly respect your work with the camera.

Gerard Pas

Gerard Pas Silver Member Nikonian since 10th Mar 2008Tue 04-Jun-13 11:33 AM
#18. "RE: D800 – 300mm F2.8 - TC17 – Yellow-throated Warbler"
In response to Reply # 13

Snowsquall, CA

Thanks Mark.
I guess the one good thing about not "getting it right the first time" is that if it was almost "right" we can still redeem the image and make it "right".
That is said against the backdrop of "you can't spit polish shite," which is my second favourite saying as it relates to getting it right the first time.

Gerard Pas

Gerard Pas Silver Member Nikonian since 10th Mar 2008Tue 04-Jun-13 11:36 AM
#19. "RE: D800 – 300mm F2.8 - TC17 – Yellow-throated Warbler"
In response to Reply # 14

Snowsquall, CA

I agree the whole limb being in focus would of been ideal but I am using an aperture of f8 which goes to show how narrow a depth of field can be when your this close to the bird.

Thanks for the kind words Preston only late spring and summer afford me the time to really post and comment on others work so it's great to be here.

Gerard Pas

Gerard Pas Silver Member Nikonian since 10th Mar 2008Tue 04-Jun-13 11:40 AM
#20. "RE: D800 – 300mm F2.8 - TC17 – Yellow-throated Warbler"
In response to Reply # 15

Snowsquall, CA

Thnaks Micheal,

In these parts this bird is a rarity not on the level as a Kirtlands Warbler. It's funny that I've seen people camped out for hours trying to get a sighting and put it on their "lifers lists".
In watching this bird over the last 2 years I've noticed 2 of them at the same time and I believe that they are nesting in this park. This may help in bringing up their numbers here so that becomes a little more common.

Gerard Pas

Forums Lobby MASTER YOUR VISION - BY SPECIALTY Wildlife (Public) topic #157736 Previous topic | Next topic

Take the Nikonians Tour and learn more about being a Nikonian Wiki /FAQ /Help Listen to our MP3 photography radio channels Find anything on Nikon and imaging technology - fast!

Copyright © Nikonians 2000, 2014
All Rights Reserved

Nikonians®, NikoScope® and NikoniansAcademy™ are trademarks owned by Nikonians.org.
Nikon®, Nikonos® and Nikkor® are registered trademarks of Nikon Corporation.