Go to a  "printer friendly" view of this message which allow an easy print Printer-friendly copy Go to the page which allows you to send this topic link and a message to a friend Email this topic to a friend
Forums Lobby MASTER YOUR VISION - BY SPECIALTY Wildlife (Public) topic #156935
View in threaded mode

Subject: "Springtime Jays - D7100 - 300 AF-S +1.4" Previous topic | Next topic
cockers Silver Member Nikonian since 25th May 2006Tue 21-May-13 01:43 AM
4248 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
"Springtime Jays - D7100 - 300 AF-S +1.4"
Tue 21-May-13 01:44 AM by cockers

Plover, US

I had the opportunity to get up close and personal with the resident Blue Jays at our cabin and captured this one with my new 300 F4 AF-S and D7100 combo. First is shot full frame and second is 1.3 crop.

Thanks for looking . . . Al

D7100, Aperture Priority, ISO 1000, +.7 EV, 1/200 sec., Nikkor 300 F4 AF-S @ f5.6, Induro AT413 tripod and BHD3 ball head.

D7100, Aperture Priority, ISO 1000, +.33 EV, 1/640 sec., 1.3 crop, Nikkor 300 F4 AF-S @ f5.6, Induro AT413 tripod and BHD3 ball head.

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

Attachment #1, (jpg file)
Attachment #2, (jpg file)

Alert Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic
Lunastar Silver Member Nikonian since 06th Jan 2010Tue 21-May-13 03:30 AM
3171 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#1. "RE: Springtime Jays - D7100 - 300 AF-S +1.4"
In response to Reply # 0

Mankato, US

Al, Great soft light and sharp as a tack! The 300/4 is my favorite lens as it's very portable, as sharp as anything out there and takes a TC well. I find myself grabbing it more often.

Mark

www.mercuryoutdoorcommunications.com

cockers Silver Member Nikonian since 25th May 2006Wed 22-May-13 01:12 PM
4248 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#2. "RE: Springtime Jays - D7100 - 300 AF-S +1.4"
In response to Reply # 1

Plover, US

Thank you Mark - I'm finding that out as well. It works very well with the Kenko 1.4.

Al

CAPete Registered since 06th Mar 2013Wed 22-May-13 06:35 PM
3 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#3. "RE: Springtime Jays - D7100 - 300 AF-S +1.4"
In response to Reply # 0

Palo Alto, US

Excellent sharpness and detail. Like the performance at ISO 1000 too. I often shoot with that lens, not so often with the 1.4 TC attached. As it happens I just shot with that combo yesterday (young sparrows), and results were pretty good. Hoping to get those posted soon. Not the same ISO latitude (mine were shot with D300s), but from what I can see the sharpness is definitely there. These shots are making that D7100 more tempting...

Pete

cockers Silver Member Nikonian since 25th May 2006Wed 22-May-13 07:00 PM
#4. "RE: Springtime Jays - D7100 - 300 AF-S +1.4"
In response to Reply # 3

Plover, US

Thanks for your comments Pete - I still shoot my 300s as well, but this new D7100 is pretty darned amazing.

Al

Rassie Silver Member Nikonian since 08th Jan 2006Thu 23-May-13 01:07 AM
2890 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#5. "RE: Springtime Jays - D7100 - 300 AF-S +1.4"
In response to Reply # 0

Milton, CA

Beautiful pictures, Al. And I'm impressed with the lack of noise at ISO 1000.

Cheers

My Nikonians gallery

Tallow Silver Member Nikonian since 07th Apr 2009Thu 23-May-13 02:09 AM
941 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#6. "RE: Springtime Jays - D7100 - 300 AF-S +1.4"
In response to Reply # 0

Niagara-on-the-Lake, CA

I think my technique must have have been bad because I never got sharp photo's with my 300mm f/4. Definitely not the the tc. Great shot Al and beautiful detail

Dave

Visit my 500px gallery.

cockers Silver Member Nikonian since 25th May 2006Thu 23-May-13 08:52 AM
#7. "RE: Springtime Jays - D7100 - 300 AF-S +1.4"
In response to Reply # 5

Plover, US

Thanks Koos - the D7100 is quite a bit better than the 300s in that regard.

Al

VR8 Silver Member Nikonian since 04th May 2008Thu 23-May-13 08:54 AM
774 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#8. "RE: Springtime Jays - D7100 - 300 AF-S +1.4"
In response to Reply # 0

Ottawa, CA

Wonderful shots, great detail and backgrounds.

Victor

My website: www.rakmilphotography.com

cockers Silver Member Nikonian since 25th May 2006Thu 23-May-13 09:04 AM
#9. "RE: Springtime Jays - D7100 - 300 AF-S +1.4"
In response to Reply # 6

Plover, US

Thanks so much Dave - I think a great deal of the sharpness is inherent to the D7100's lack of an anti alias filter. However this new 300AF-S is very sharp even with the 1.4 converter. I don't have a 1.7 like you so I can't comment on the sharpness with that converter.
I also shoot only High/Fine jpegs and post process in Photoshop elements, and haven't found the need to shoot Raw for my uses.

Al

cockers Silver Member Nikonian since 25th May 2006Thu 23-May-13 09:30 AM
#10. "RE: Springtime Jays - D7100 - 300 AF-S +1.4"
In response to Reply # 8

Plover, US

Thanks for taking the time to comment Victor - it is appreciated.

Al

rb4good Silver Member Nikonian since 22nd May 2006Thu 23-May-13 09:43 AM
4230 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#11. "RE: Springtime Jays - D7100 - 300 AF-S +1.4"
In response to Reply # 0

Rocky Hill, US

Great images Al. Had used the Kenko 1.4 tc with this lens on the D300 and found the Nikon tc much better than the Kenko,on the D300. The Nikon 1.4 seems quite a bit better than the Nikon 1.7 tc on the 300F4 mounted on the D7100 from what I have managed to shoot hand held. Never tried the Kenko with the 300F4 and D7100. On my 70-200mmF2.8 lens,the Nikon 1.4 and 1.7 tcs both seem very sharp.

Rick

cockers Silver Member Nikonian since 25th May 2006Thu 23-May-13 09:57 AM
#12. "RE: Springtime Jays - D7100 - 300 AF-S +1.4"
In response to Reply # 11

Plover, US

Thanks for the comments Rick -

I must have a good copy of the Kenko - in addition to great performance on the 300AF-S it performs really well on my 500P F4 and my Tamron 70-200 2.8 as well. It did so on the D300s also. I use the 300+1.4 combo mainly on a tripod with the D7100 as I find myself shooting in low light situations quite often.

I was considering the Nikon 1.7 TC + 300 AF-S with the D7100 - have you tried that combo on a tripod or just hand-held?

Al

rb4good Silver Member Nikonian since 22nd May 2006Thu 23-May-13 06:04 PM
4230 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#13. "RE: Springtime Jays - D7100 - 300 AF-S +1.4"
In response to Reply # 12

Rocky Hill, US

I've only tried the 1.7tc hand held. The results were very,very good but with the 1.4 the results were so much better that I never went back to the 1.7 and just crop to get that effect. If I think of it I will try it out on a tripod and let you know,unless you already have done so.

Rick

cockers Silver Member Nikonian since 25th May 2006Thu 23-May-13 07:04 PM
#14. "RE: Springtime Jays - D7100 - 300 AF-S +1.4"
In response to Reply # 13

Plover, US

Thanks Rick - I haven't done that so it would be interesting to hear your findings!

Al

landism Registered since 22nd Oct 2011Fri 24-May-13 11:13 AM
476 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#15. "RE: Springtime Jays - D7100 - 300 AF-S +1.4"
In response to Reply # 0

CA

couple of beauties!!

cockers Silver Member Nikonian since 25th May 2006Sat 25-May-13 10:40 AM
#16. "RE: Springtime Jays - D7100 - 300 AF-S +1.4"
In response to Reply # 15

Plover, US

Thanks for stopping by and commenting mark!

Al

Fovea Gold Member Nikonian since 26th Sep 2002Sat 25-May-13 01:06 PM
3633 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#17. "RE: Springtime Jays - D7100 - 300 AF-S +1.4"
In response to Reply # 0

Colombo, LK

Nice, I like #2 - I haven't mounted my AF-S 300 f/4 in a while, I think mine needs a service to reapply lubricants!

Regards
Dinil

Struck by Light - Blog & Gallery
Visible Range - Photography & Beyond

cockers Silver Member Nikonian since 25th May 2006Mon 27-May-13 11:16 AM
#18. "RE: Springtime Jays - D7100 - 300 AF-S +1.4"
In response to Reply # 17

Plover, US

Thanks for taking time to comment - it is appreciated!

Al

slopoki1 Silver Member Laureate Ribbon awarded for winning in the Best of Nikonians 2013 images Photo Contest Nikonian since 13th Jun 2012Wed 29-May-13 12:44 PM
1384 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#19. "RE: Springtime Jays - D7100 - 300 AF-S +1.4"
In response to Reply # 0

Homestead, US

Lovely shots of a pretty bird. excellent color and clarity
Rick

Visit
http://www.slopoki1.com/Nature

cockers Silver Member Nikonian since 25th May 2006Wed 29-May-13 06:13 PM
#20. "RE: Springtime Jays - D7100 - 300 AF-S +1.4"
In response to Reply # 19

Plover, US

Thank you Rick - I appreciate your comments!

Al

rb4good Silver Member Nikonian since 22nd May 2006Thu 30-May-13 11:03 PM
#21. "RE: Springtime Jays - D7100 - 300 AF-S +1.4"
In response to Reply # 14

Rocky Hill, US

Al, I did a unscientific test with the Nikon 1.4 and 1.7 tcs from my tripod. Shot a Red-tail Hawk from the same position then in pp cropped so the bird seemed to be about the same size and then processed both the same in NX2. Resized in PS4. Both shot in DX,not 1.3 crop mode. The 1.4tc shot was cropped to 31.8% and the 1.7tc to 25.6%(if that means anything). Maybe a smaller subject from a farther distance would have been better for this test. My old eyes do see slightly better IQ with the 1.4 but a smaller subject with a bigger crop might give much different results. I don't think you can go wrong with the 1.7tc and you can find used ones around now that many are opting for the 2.0tc.

1.4tc

1.7tc

Rick

Attachment #1, (jpg file)
Attachment #2, (jpg file)

cockers Silver Member Nikonian since 25th May 2006Thu 30-May-13 11:53 PM
#22. "RE: Springtime Jays - D7100 - 300 AF-S +1.4"
In response to Reply # 21
Thu 30-May-13 11:56 PM by cockers

Plover, US

Rick - I'm seeing the 1.4 as a bit sharper in your samples as well - the 1.7 is definitely no slouch however!
Thanks for sharing that info.

Al

Forums Lobby MASTER YOUR VISION - BY SPECIALTY Wildlife (Public) topic #156935 Previous topic | Next topic

Take the Nikonians Tour and learn more about being a Nikonian Wiki /FAQ /Help Listen to our MP3 photography radio channels Find anything on Nikon and imaging technology - fast!

Copyright © Nikonians 2000, 2014
All Rights Reserved

Nikonians®, NikoScope® and NikoniansAcademy™ are trademarks owned by Nikonians.org.
Nikon®, Nikonos® and Nikkor® are registered trademarks of Nikon Corporation.