Go to a  "printer friendly" view of this message which allow an easy print Printer-friendly copy Go to the page which allows you to send this topic link and a message to a friend Email this topic to a friend
Forums Lobby MASTER YOUR VISION - BY SPECIALTY Wildlife (Public) topic #156569
View in threaded mode

Subject: "black-throated green warbler..." Previous topic | Next topic
Jim Pearce Silver Member Nikonian since 02nd Mar 2004Wed 15-May-13 02:51 AM
4397 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
"black-throated green warbler..."
Wed 15-May-13 08:44 PM by Jim Pearce

Grimsby, CA

d7100 w/ 500 f4 AF-S & TC-14E, f7.1 ISO 400 fill flash -1.7 EV.

1/500

1/800

1/800

1/800

1/800

Jim

Alert Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic
kodiak photo Silver Member Nikonian since 28th Feb 2013Wed 15-May-13 03:08 AM
734 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#1. "RE: black-throated green warbler..."
In response to Reply # 0

Montréal, (Qc), CA

Hello Jim,

I am struggling with the name: black-throated green warbler!
Why green?

On the other hand, no struggling whatsoever with this shoot!
Your birdie is so vivid and lively!
My favourites are 2 & 3 for their composition.

As usual, keep'm comin'

Vbrg

Kodiak
Groovy Shootings
Image Média
www.kodiakmedia.at

In photography, light is free but catching it is not!
• • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • •

brada Silver Member Nikonian since 29th Jan 2008Wed 15-May-13 03:45 AM
378 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#2. "RE: black-throated green warbler..."
In response to Reply # 1

US

Very nice!

http://www.bradaphotography.com
my Nikonians gallery.

cockers Silver Member Nikonian since 25th May 2006Wed 15-May-13 10:04 AM
4324 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#3. "RE: black-throated green warbler..."
In response to Reply # 0

Plover, US

Really wonderful set Jim - - - #1 for me.

Al

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

af4nc Gold Member Nikonian since 07th Jul 2007Wed 15-May-13 10:52 AM
3194 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#4. "RE: black-throated green warbler..."
In response to Reply # 0

Yardley, US

Beautiful color, love the tree branches and flowers. Nice job!

Tom MILLS
Its all about the light and composition
My best investment is my Nikonians membership.
af4nc@msn.com
www.tommills.zenfolio.com

Jim Pearce Silver Member Nikonian since 02nd Mar 2004Wed 15-May-13 01:45 PM
4397 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#5. "RE: black-throated green warbler..."
In response to Reply # 1

Grimsby, CA

Perhaps my old friend and shooting partner for this episode, Gerard Pas, can weigh in on the derivation of the name Daniel. I must confess, I've never seen a green one!

Jim

Gerard Pas Silver Member Nikonian since 10th Mar 2008Wed 15-May-13 02:28 PM
4543 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#6. "RE: black-throated green warbler..."
In response to Reply # 5
Wed 15-May-13 02:28 PM by Gerard Pas

Snowsquall, CA

Jim,

While the bird seems to have a "yellow" head and I might also be tempted to call it a "Black-throated Yellow" it actually derives its name because if you look carefully at the top of its head, it has an "olive-green crown", "olive-green" ear patches and a green mantle. Thus Black-throated Green.

Lovely sharp shot with amazing DR coming from that rig, a pleasure as always to shot warblers together. Now you've forced my hand to reactivate my account, which means subsequent postings in the future.

Gerard Pas

Ars est celare artem — It is true art to conceal art.
http://www.gerardpas.com

Jim Pearce Silver Member Nikonian since 02nd Mar 2004Wed 15-May-13 08:03 PM
#7. "Hmm..."
In response to Reply # 6

Grimsby, CA

And even a green kerchief in my last shot - something I've never seen before! And brown eyes...with the D300 the eyes turned to black in the jpegs.

Jim

Jim Pearce Silver Member Nikonian since 02nd Mar 2004Wed 15-May-13 08:05 PM
#8. "thanks Al, Tom..."
In response to Reply # 4

Grimsby, CA

Gerard chose a dull day, the blossoms were at their peak and the bird was a stroke of luck - most of his cousins stayed up high.

Jim

Jim Pearce Silver Member Nikonian since 02nd Mar 2004Wed 15-May-13 08:07 PM
#9. "thanks Brad..."
In response to Reply # 2

Grimsby, CA

Quite a striking warbler, if not the prettiest.

Jim

rb4good Silver Member Nikonian since 22nd May 2006Wed 15-May-13 11:46 PM
4307 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#10. "RE: black-throated green warbler..."
In response to Reply # 0

Rocky Hill, US

Great set of images, Jim. Especially like the last one.

Rick

t_jones Silver Member Nikonian since 05th Oct 2006Thu 16-May-13 03:05 AM
624 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#11. "RE: black-throated green warbler..."
In response to Reply # 0

Laurel, US

Jim,
Another great set of images. The third one is my favorite. These guys have been singing for a little over a week here, but our leaves are much more advanced than yours.
Thanks for sharing,
Tim

Jim Pearce Silver Member Nikonian since 02nd Mar 2004Fri 17-May-13 12:54 AM
#12. "thanks Rick, Tim..."
In response to Reply # 11

Grimsby, CA

Yes, we have another week of reasonable shooting conditions Tim. Not many warblers here though - with a number of species I've only seen one or two birds.

Jim

dda53 Gold Member Nikonian since 31st Oct 2008Fri 17-May-13 02:21 AM
376 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#13. "RE: black-throated green warbler..."
In response to Reply # 0

Pasadena, US

A beautiful set. Very well done, love the sharpness and exposures. Good work.

CK Silver Member Nikonian since 09th Apr 2004Fri 17-May-13 03:47 AM
1784 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#14. "RE: black-throated green warbler..."
In response to Reply # 0

Mississauga, CA

Wonderful series Jim, especially with the blossoms and the space created with the half-formed leaves. You mentioned only about another week or so of good shooting left -- why is that? Will most have migrated through by then or will the bushes be too fully formed? ,
Take care,
CK
Nikonian in Ontario, Canada

Jim Pearce Silver Member Nikonian since 02nd Mar 2004Fri 17-May-13 06:57 PM
#15. "thanks David, CK..."
In response to Reply # 14

Grimsby, CA

Both and more Chuck: the blossoms drop, the birds move on, the leaves fill in and the good spring light becomes summer light.

Jim

ctdrummer Silver Member Nikonian since 09th Feb 2012Fri 17-May-13 07:37 PM
194 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#16. "RE: black-throated green warbler..."
In response to Reply # 0

Southern CT, US

Hi Jim,

These images are fantastic, great job. They are sharp and bright.

Visit My Nikonians Gallery.

Visit My web page.

Lunastar Silver Member Nikonian since 06th Jan 2010Fri 17-May-13 10:32 PM
3216 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#17. "RE: black-throated green warbler..."
In response to Reply # 16

Mankato, US

Great set, Jim!

Mark

www.mercuryoutdoorcommunications.com

Tallow Silver Member Nikonian since 07th Apr 2009Sat 18-May-13 02:51 AM
944 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#18. "RE: black-throated green warbler..."
In response to Reply # 0

Niagara-on-the-Lake, CA

great series Jim. I was out trying to get some shots of the warblers but they are much too quick for me. I think I need to stick to something a little more my speed.... vultures

Dave

Visit my 500px gallery.

Jim Pearce Silver Member Nikonian since 02nd Mar 2004Sat 18-May-13 03:23 AM
#19. "thanks Patrick, Mark..."
In response to Reply # 17

Grimsby, CA

All credit for brightness goes to the bird and the flowers.

Jim

Jim Pearce Silver Member Nikonian since 02nd Mar 2004Sat 18-May-13 03:26 AM
#20. "thanks Dave..."
In response to Reply # 18

Grimsby, CA

They are much tougher to shoot than a snowy owl in flight, but the principle is the same: stay loose, don't think and just shoot. Oh...and pre-focus in front of the bird.

Jim

mnbuilder49 Moderator Awarded for his high level skills in various areas, especially in Interiors Architecture, Landscape and HDR Photography Nikonian since 18th Apr 2006Sat 18-May-13 12:39 PM
4172 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#21. "RE: black-throated green warbler..."
In response to Reply # 0

Lakeville, US

Beautiful series.

Larry
http://www.larryandersonphotography.com
http://www.andersonmasterbuilders.com

dm1dave Administrator Awarded for high level knowledge and skills in various areas, most notably in Wildlife and Landscape Writer Ribbon awarded for his excellent article contributions to the Nikonians community Nikonian since 12th Sep 2006Sat 18-May-13 08:59 PM
11598 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#22. "RE: black-throated green warbler..."
In response to Reply # 0

Lowden, US

Super shots Jim!

I am like the composition in #3 best.

Dave Summers
Lowden, Iowa
Nikonians Photo Contest Director

Nikonians membership -
"My most important photographic investment, after the camera"

My Nikonians Gallery | SummersPhotoGraphic.com | My Crated Gallery
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Showcase your best work in any of our 7 Monthly Nikonians Photo contests.

Wildlife | Landscape | Macro | Sports | Travel | Online Assignments | Best of Nikonians 2014

CAPete Registered since 06th Mar 2013Sat 18-May-13 09:09 PM
3 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#23. "RE: black-throated green warbler..."
In response to Reply # 0

Palo Alto, US

Beautiful results Jim. Your pictures pretty much answer my question - but how have you found the overall experience using the D7100 for these type of shots (and birds-in-flight)? I'm currently deciding whether (and how soon) to replace my D300s. I'm only hearing good things about the IQ, but not so good with regard to the buffer for action shots.

Thanks,

Pete

Jim Pearce Silver Member Nikonian since 02nd Mar 2004Mon 20-May-13 12:10 AM
#24. "thanks Larry, Dave, Pete..."
In response to Reply # 23

Grimsby, CA

My answer Peter is that I haven't replaced my D300s with the D7100 - just my D300 which I was using for tripod work with my 500 f4 AF-S. All of my birds in flight shooting will still be with the D300s and 300 f2.8 VR (plus TCs) which is always ready to go in a separate bag. I tried the 1.3x crop mode on the D7100 but quite frankly I prefer the D300s with or without a TC-14E.

Jim

CAPete Registered since 06th Mar 2013Tue 21-May-13 03:03 AM
3 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#25. "RE: thanks Larry, Dave, Pete..."
In response to Reply # 24

Palo Alto, US

Thanks Jim,

Certainly good reasons to hold onto the D300s. Will be interesting to see if Nikon actually comes up with a direct replacement - that would make it a no-brainer. Of course, being that we're discussing photography equipment, my attitude may change at any time...

Most likely I'll hold onto the D300s for the foreseeable future.

Pete

Forums Lobby MASTER YOUR VISION - BY SPECIALTY Wildlife (Public) topic #156569 Previous topic | Next topic

Take the Nikonians Tour and learn more about being a Nikonian Wiki /FAQ /Help Listen to our MP3 photography radio channels Find anything on Nikon and imaging technology - fast!

Copyright © Nikonians 2000, 2014
All Rights Reserved

Nikonians®, NikoScope® and NikoniansAcademy™ are trademarks owned by Nikonians.org.
Nikon®, Nikonos® and Nikkor® are registered trademarks of Nikon Corporation.